[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tank Treads

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 300px-TKS_P1010141_2.jpg (24KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
300px-TKS_P1010141_2.jpg
24KB, 300x225px
So, I want to build a 1:1 running model of the Polish TKS tankette. My only problem is, I don't know how to build the tracks. Other than that I know what I'll need to do for it.
Any ideas? I was thinking small steel plates connected to some type of chain, but I'm not sure how to do it.
Also is there a place I can find blueprints with scales? If not I have some friends in enginnering that can help me with that.
Thanks for the ideas.
>>
Just make interlockable steelplates. Just google up disintegrating ammo belt. The bullet is a steelpiece for holding in place and the ammo belt parts are your track.
>>
After literally 7 seconds of googlehttp://www.fahrzeuge-der-wehrmacht.de/Kettengl.html
>>
>>1063810
Ok, I never would thought about that. But thats a great idea.
>>1063812
That never came up for me, and I dont speak german. But hey, I can piece it together with the pictures.
Thanks guys
>>
>>1063867
Steel tracks will damage whatever road surface you run it on if you turn.
You want composite tracks off of a small dozer like a bobcat or komatsu.
>>
>>1064006
tankette tracks were small, dunno if it would damage a road surface..
>>
what type of engine are you planning to use?
>>
>>1064034
shut the fuck up you "dunno" about anything ever
>>
>>1064036
I was going to ask my friends for help using an electric motor to power it
>>1064006
Would wood with a small steel or aluminum plate damage roads? I knew steel alone would. If so I may try to find rubber tracks
>>
>>1064273
Abrams treads are like that. Steel but with big rubber pads.

Even if the tankette was only 800 pounds, it would still carve up the road surface when turning with steel only treads.
I suggested the bobcat treads because making a custom set would be more time consuming than the rest of the vehicle. Bobcat treads could just be replaced when they wore out instead of fabbing a complete new set again.

Steel or aluminum plates will still grind up the road. Wood has potential, but since its would they wood crack and break off. (I'm bored, did that on purpose).
Creating composite or rubber pads that could be attached without having bolt heads on the outside would be expensive.

I was in an armored cavalry unit so I'm familiar with tracked vehicle and the damage potential.
>>
How small do you want it?
Stuck are selling their MAGNATRAC RS1000 for less than 7000$
http://struckcorp.com/products/magnatrac-rs1000/
>>
>>1064293
Okay good. For the rubber tracks I was thinking getting them through here: https://www.track-mart.com/
Any input or should that be good?
Also I dont think mine will weigh as much as a real one. (I'm not going full historically accurate and using steel)
>>
>>1064304
According to wikipedia the tankette was
Length 2.58 metres (8 ft 6 in)
Width 1.78 metres (5 ft 10 in)
Height 1.32 metres (4 ft 4 in)
>>
>>1064305
That site looks good.
Before you settle on the specific tracks, source your drive and suspension cogs- although there's common sizes/pitches, there isn't a standard.
If someone is parting out a very common model of mini-dozer you should be able to get parts that coincide with "cheap" tracks.
>>
>>1063788
I'm making treads from old tires. I cut out the sidewall, then double layer the strips and bolt together to form a continuous track. You can bolt on grippers or other things. Hardest part I'm struggling with is how to drive the track without tearing holes in the rubber. I think I may add steel grommets of some kind.
>>
>>1064423
Tension/friction drive.
Or more layers you can cut notches in for cog drive
>>
>>1064478
Ooh.. I've considered a tension drive, but I don't want little metal bolts sticking out of the belt and fucking up the (presumably) used tire rims or other drive wheel.
>>
>>1064423
Now to find some old tires.
OP signing out for awhile guys, thanks for all the help
>>
>>1063867
>asking advice about tanks
>not considering german resources
>>
>>1064423
Do you have pics?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.