[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can I get a boat to generate extremely loud, sub-audible

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: 37a48cba57de7a92d9e7af3a96bc6960.jpg (292KB, 1200x780px) Image search: [Google]
37a48cba57de7a92d9e7af3a96bc6960.jpg
292KB, 1200x780px
How can I get a boat to generate extremely loud, sub-audible frequency tunes?

I'm curious to see what would happen if a long-range schooner (mainly Pacific) was able to be recognised by aquatic mammals at distances of hundreds of kilometres, in much the same way as whales with their unique songs.
>>
>>1063675
>a boat
>extremely loud, sub-audible frequency tunes
Not going to happen mate, you are talking about a steady wave of 10hz that is extremely loud in the water, maybe if you drop a series a bombs in it, there is no way to make that happen
>>
>>1063695
>I know nothing

Get out.

Two options I can think of:

There are a number of extremely low-frequency speakers that are essentially fans with variable-pitch blades. These are driven by voice coils that can produce low-frequency audio, well below human hearing range, at substantial volume. There's no inherent reason you couldn't do the same underwater.

If you want just about the loudest thing that you can actually modulate, you're looking for a pneumatic (or, in this cause) hydraulic amplifier. Sometimes known as an auxetophone. It's simply an electronically-actuated valve attached to a voice coil. They're capable of insane decibel levels, far above what the loudest of conventional speakers can produce. We're talking so far past "instant, permanent, and complete hearing loss" you enter "actually lethal" territory, depending on the details.

This is still a stupid idea, though, even if it is technically possible.
>>
>>1063697
>They're capable of insane decibel levels, far above what the loudest of conventional speakers can produce. We're talking so far past "instant, permanent, and complete hearing loss" you enter "actually lethal" territory
>>
>>1063675

As someone who works in marine survey, if anyone even caught a whiff of what you were planning, the government and environmental groups would be on you like stink on shit. Even under the guise of "Environmental Research" you would unleash a shitstorm of biblical proportions.
>>
>>1063771
How cum?
>>
>>1063771
>auxetophone
If he's in international waters couldn't he just tell them to fuck off?
>>
>>1064158
ignore the auxetophone there
>>
>>1063675
>extremely loud
It doesn't have to be 'extremely loud'. Water is a good conductor of sound. Put that together with marine mammals' keen hearing and whales can probably hear boat machinery for hundreds of kilometers.

Trouble with machinery is that it is just noise to whales and interferes with their communication. Do some research on whale songs. Make up your own unique call and broadcast it through a bass speaker screwed to the bottom of a boat. It doesn't have to be loud. They'll hear you. And probably recognize your call in time.

Just make sure you don't accidentally broadcast whale for "I'm an asshole. Capsize me."
>>
If you just want one frequency at a time, big ass electric motor, variable offset crankshaft, push-rod, and a piston of some sort. It probably wouldn't even need to be a huge piston because of the coupling efficiency.
>>
>>1064158
International waters still have laws, dumbass.
>>
>>1064217
That's why I said a tune.
But it probably has to be louder than a bass speaker, and perhaps lower than what a bass speaker can generate.

What I'm curious about though is why everyone's saying it's illegal.
>>
>>1064346
Because hippies. Low frequencies fuck with whales.
>>
>>1064482
Aha.
Makes me wonder if there's any loopholes, such as using frequencies or patterns that whales don't.
>>
>>1064564
Everyone would probably love that if it were the case, but US courts even shut down military use and testing (i think). If you could crack that nut the military could have its good sonar back.
>>
File: beached_whales_dolphins.jpg (29KB, 510x367px) Image search: [Google]
beached_whales_dolphins.jpg
29KB, 510x367px
>>1063675
>>1063697
Neurobiologist with interest in marine ecology reporting in.
Propellers of big tankers and cruise ships do 0.1-10Hz at up to 200 dezibels already. Those can and do shred ears and brains of whales, making some go insane with pain and beach themselves.

DONT DO THAT SHIT.
Excuse the bad english, i'm a kraut.
>>
>>1064661
Aren't decibels dependent on point of measurement?
>>
>>1064663
If no distance is given, 1m is the standard measurement distance for sound afaik.
Note that whales' ears are very sensitive and therefore delicate. They can communicate over thousands of kilometers after all.
Imagine having a 500x amplifier tuned to human speech pitch so ypu can hear the cute girl talking on the other side of campus.
Then somebody 10m from you screams at you full throttle.
That's probably what it feels like as a whale when a tanker passes.
>>
File: 1284667219407.jpg (121KB, 396x393px) Image search: [Google]
1284667219407.jpg
121KB, 396x393px
>>1064671
Except they can't even fucking turn off the amp or cover their ears.
>>
>>1064671
If whales can communicate over thousands of kilometres and don't brainfuck each other with sound, what's to stop me from being only as loud as a whale?

In fact, if I was roughly as loud as a whale, and had a repeating tune in the same frequency range, it wouldn't be immediately clear to law enforcement that I'm not a whale.

Although it wouldn't be clear to aquatic creatures either, and inciting curiousity is the whole point.
>>
>>1064671

>be whale bro
>High test QT3.14 from across the reef keeps making adorable noises
>I spill spaghetti occasionally but we manage to sing eachother some good songs
>It gets real fast, it sounds like she wants to meet irl
>all i know is what she sounds like but i think i love her
>swimming my ass off knowing i'm gonna get some of that thick whale puccy

>BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTHHTHTHTHTHT
>suddenly i am deaf
>instinctually know i can never hear her voice again
>beach self, wait to die

cmon guys, do you want your whalebros to kill themselves?
>>
To save their hearing, can't the whales just like...you know...swim in the other direction?
>>
>>1064118
You'd be Fuckin with the whales
>>
>>1064661
You're wrong. No study has conclusively been able to identify humans as a source of noise distress to cetaceans. Your pic is Inflammatory, too : there are ass loads of beachings hundreds of miles from any shipping routes, you just don't hear about them

Source : MMO and pam operator
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.