[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My furnace a shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1471751718526.png (866KB, 900x602px) Image search: [Google]
1471751718526.png
866KB, 900x602px
tl;dr - my furnace smells funny when I first turned it on, has anyone else encountered this?

LONG VERSION:

I bought this place not too long ago, so some things that I'm encountering are still at their "this is the first time I'm even doing this" point.

In this case, it's restarting the furnace. The weather dropped pretty cold here pretty fast, and I woke up to a house in the mid 60s, so I figure it's time to cover the AC and turn on he furnace. Switched the thermostat to heat, set the temp, done. Thermostat trips, furnace kicks on, and heat comes out the vent. Along with a faint burning smell. A smell I encountered once before with this furnace...

Once upon a time, I had to change the filter for my furnace, because I just got this place and I had no idea how old the filter was. I bought a standard filter (no super high-end 10th level uber filter) and triple checked that I had installed it in the proper direction. the filter would repeatedly get pulled down to a point that air could move around it until I added some supports. That was when the furnace would repeatedly turn on and off while not outputting any heat, and once I removed the filter, began functioning normally again, but with a faint burning smell when it initially began working again, and it continued to function fine for the rest of the winter.

The odd thing about it is the filter I pulled out was just another standard filter, and I had to replace it with one of those low end "good luck if I even remove dust" filters. It was functioning fine. I tried googling the model number of the furnace, but that didn't offer much for what I should be using as filters.

So there you have it. My furnace is probably stupid and needs to be looked at, but has anyone else encountered this? Is there any quick fix I can do to correct this, or is it time to just pick up the phone?
>>
Wtf is there a lightbulb on the psu in your pic? Rofl
>>
keep running it and see if the smells persists
>>
>>1063465
Thus far, it doesn't.
>>
>>1063460
It's burning off the dust that collected on it while it was not being used.
>>
>>1063470
meaning it doesn't still smell?

it's common for it to blow the dust/whatnot out when turned out after sitting for months, and have a smell

just keep an eye on the filter and possibly have the ducts cleaned
60s aint cold son, the scale goes:

90s - really hot
80s - hot
70s - comfortable
60s - cool
50s - chilly
40s - cold
30s - freezing
>>
>>1063471
This is what I figured, but I thought I'd double check.
>>
>>1063464
>Wtf is there a lightbulb on the psu in your pic? Rofl
If it's the one I recall, it was a pic of two grrrls pretending to be PC-smart and buildin stuff, but it was badly staged and quite obvious they had no clue

I consider it the photographer's fault--kinda like the lady holding the soldering iron like a pencil.
If he wanted them to not look like morons and he didn't know much about the subject, then he shoulda had a knowledgeable consultant on hand to help.
>>
>>1063472
120+ - uncomfortably hot
110s - pretty hot
100s - hot
90s - kinda hot
80s - warm
70s - comfy
60s - cool
50s - chilly
40s - really chilly
30s - literally freezing
20s - cold
10s - too cold move somewhere warmer
>>
>>1063460
>cover the AC
Don't
>>
>>1063460
Rat crawled in there and died.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.