[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Program for personal use

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: visual-basic-in-urdu1.png (52KB, 290x182px) Image search: [Google]
visual-basic-in-urdu1.png
52KB, 290x182px
I want to build a program, that will help me in my everyday life. I thought of Anime progress, Expenses counter and Password saver. I still can combine them, but I want to think of something else I can add.
Can you suggest some ideas. Keep in mind that I am new at programming and this will be my first ''serious'' program, so dont give me some complicated terms. I will probably use Visual basic, because in C++ i only can do some console apps. It probably will be some very common app.
>>
How about a programme that reminds you to post to the right board
You be looking for /g/
>>
Computer hardware is arguably /diy/ but software is 100℅ >>>/g/
sage
>>
>>1063373
>Computer hardware is arguably /diy/ but software is 100℅ >>>/g/
There usually is a programming thread on /g/

As far as Visual Basic, using C# would not be much different overall. They're both drag & drop GUIs in Visual Studio now. Just the terminology is a bit different.
,,,,,however,,,,,,
Visual Studio is a free download now for non-commercial use--but it was not always that way before, and it may not stay that way in the future.
If you REALLY want this software to be useful for a long time, you should really do it in a open-source IDE.
You don't need to go crazy and install Gentoo, but going GPL here isn't a bad idea.

And really........ I prefer VB myself for my own hobby stuff, I dunno why. But I've bought licenses before, and I could afford a license if they closed it again.

~~~~~~~

Eclipse is one IDE you might use. It has several languages it supports--Java, C++ and Python and some other stuff. I would say to stick with C/C++ for now, but a lot of people like Python too.
https://eclipse.org/downloads/eclipse-packages/

As far as your programs go--you really only need to do two things here: get the code to open a GUI window with normal controls, and learn how to read & write text files. Everything else is pretty simple.
>>
>>1063301
>thought of Anime progress, Expenses counter and Password saver

The best solution is one already done for you, All these things listed can already be had for free and at a much better quality than you could accomplish in any reasonable amount of time.
>>
>>1063301
go for python
>>
>>1063301
>Anime
make your life easier and just kill yourself OP
>>
>>1063301
>Anime progress
wut
no

>Expenses counter
libreoffice excel

>Password saver
wordpad
>>
>>1063301
It's a good beginner project, but don't expect your own tools to be even comparable to commercial or open-source ones. For example, a good password saver would encrypt the file that contains the passwords with something like AES. Also, if you want to be serious about programming, then learn C++ and either use the windows API to make GUI applications, or at least learn to use visual studio's drag & drop GUI maker. And yeah VS may not be free forever, but you can always just torrent it, although I'd rather not use an IDE at all.

>>1063439
>wordpad
Autism
>>
>>1063476
>For example, a good password saver would encrypt the file that contains the passwords with something like AES.
Visual Studio has the Windows standard 8-bit encryption support already, I know because I've had to use it before but 8-bit isn't much these days... but then again, who's going to go to that much effort to crack your stuff? Malware rips it from the browser history or something, or keylogs them in real-time.
>>
>>1063301
For my money (literally. all of it.)

Password managers are serious business.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android.keepass
>>
>>1063507
>Visual Studio has the Windows standard 8-bit encryption support already
That sounds retarded, I think you mean that it has an encryption library, which is good, because then you can just use that.
>but then again, who's going to go to that much effort to crack your stuff? Malware rips it from the browser history or something, or keylogs them in real-time.
They may also put a RAT (remote administrator tool) on your pc, and find the plaintext file with all your passwords. Or someone might break into your house, steal your PC, and look around on your HDD. Another thing to consider is that at some point in the future, some "hacker" may go after you for one reason or another, better secure things now than be sorry later. And having a single point of failure is just retarded. It's like saying that "oh well yeah I have this box of TNT in the living room, yeah it could explode and kill everyone within a 50 metre radius, but it's very safe, it's unlikely to explode by itself, and besides, it's very convenient to have it here, I always find myself putting things on it when I run out of space on the table".
>>
>>1063558
>That sounds retarded, I think you mean that it has an encryption library, which is good, because then you can just use that.
Welp, it's not 8-bit, it's 64 bit.... 8 *BYTES*,,,, It's not much but it's better than nothing I suppose.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/301070

It's not really worth worrying about all the possible ways your PC can get hacked. You can't defend against them all except by not having internet service or using commercial software.
>>
>>1063763
>It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.
Edsger W. Dijkstra
>>
File: basuck.gif (27KB, 1255x762px) Image search: [Google]
basuck.gif
27KB, 1255x762px
>>1063768
Dijkstra's ancient comment does not really apply to today's BASIC and whatever is wrong with VB isn't really related to BASIC.
>>
>>1063787
I was mostly trolling.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.