/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /diy/nosaurs, for a course at school, I have some questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

File: caring_for_houseplants[1].jpg (155KB, 650x294px) Image search: [Google]
caring_for_houseplants[1].jpg
155KB, 650x294px
Hi /diy/nosaurs, for a course at school, I have some questions to ask people with houseplants. Probably /b/ is the best board for a random question like this but /diy/ is one of my favourite boards and it actually seems to contain reasonable people so I thought I'd ask here.

1. What are some struggles that you have with keeping plants, for example diseases, nutrient deficiencies, the plants not getting water when you're on holiday or you forgetting to water them?
2. Would you get more plants if you had less of these struggles?
3. What is your reason for having houseplants?

If you're reading this and you have houseplants, it'd be forever appreciated if you post a reply, all other thoughts also welcome :)
>>
You do know /an/ would be the place to look for stuff like this.
>>
I have plants that can tolerate me forgetting them for several weeks, and then they just get one brown stalk which reminds me.
Anything needing watering several times a week dies quickly.
I've tried a few automatic watering solutions, but they are all unconvenient or ugly.
I have no idea about nutrition, maybe that would be an issue too if I actually watered the plants.

I would have more plants if they survived. I have them for decoration.
>>
>>1062746
thx for the suggestion, I forgot that board, haven't visited 4chan for a few months. But I'm also looking for people that have no plants because they have too many issues with them, so just visiting places that are guaranteed to have people with plants would provide a biased sample
>>
>>1062748

maybe you are interested in these plants then

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tillandsia

no roots, no watering, etc truly a little wonder of nature
>>
File: 1111.jpg (1MB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1111.jpg
1MB, 1456x2592px
>>1062760
I have a 3yo lemon tree, grandma has about 20 of them. The beginning of this summer I noticed some of the old leaves had dried at the end, so I asked her about it and she said they needed more water. So now I'm watering it once a week and I sprinkle water over it daily.

Pic is of the old leaves
>>
File: 1111.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
1111.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
>>1062792
I did not mean to reply, sorry.

The other problem I had and probably still have is the premature falling of the fruits. I had 5 of them and the biggest one grew to become several cm in length. Probably is water related, too.

Pic is of the new branches, which started growing this summer. There are chicken feces inside the soil, which slowly release vital substances into it with every watering.

My other plants are Succulents, so I have no problems with them.
>>
File: 386788427_267.jpg (86KB, 544x532px) Image search: [Google]
386788427_267.jpg
86KB, 544x532px
I have a couple, but where I can be away from home for 6-8 weeks at a time I had to come up with a better watering solution.

I bought some of those expanding water beads, let them expand and then mixed them into the soil when I was re-potting the plants. it helps to aerate the soil and slowly releases moisture over time. Now I water the plants once every 2 months, fertilize once a year and they have doubled in size this summer.

My biggest issue is light as my place has tiny windows that get maybe an hour of direct sunlight every day.
>>
OP, you should visit the homegrowmen thread on /out/ for some advice too, they know their shit.
>>
File: DSC02135 .jpg (3MB, 3680x2070px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02135 .jpg
3MB, 3680x2070px
>>1062745
>1. What are some struggles that you have with keeping plants, for example diseases, nutrient deficiencies, the plants not getting water when you're on holiday or you forgetting to water them?

All of the above. The worst was getting an infestation of brown scale (a type of mite) that pretty much killed the vigor of the plants and led to a slow decline in their general health and eventual death. Couple that with general depression and depression caused by not being able to do anything for them and I pretty much lost the majority of them. A Phalenopsis that I had for 8 years, which I nursed back to life after buying it just died on me. Feels bad.

>2. Would you get more plants if you had less of these struggles?

Yes

>3. What is your reason for having houseplants?

Makes me happy and I enjoyed taking care of them, looking at them and watching the different life/flowering cycles of different species of plants.

Pic related, plants at their prime.
>>
not enough sun
yes
unlike people you never have to tell them to stop badly trying to sing along with some pop trash in the wrong key
>>
>>1062745
>1. What are some struggles that you have with keeping plants, for example diseases, nutrient deficiencies, the plants not getting water when you're on holiday or you forgetting to water them?
I only water mine and rarely fertilize. I'd like to check soil chemistry but can't muster the energy to do so.
No.
My family has always had house plants. I have an avacado tree that I've been growing for 5+ years indoors. That's my only plant grown from seed; the rest were bought in stores 20+ years ago.
>>
File: SAM_0675.jpg (3MB, 3456x4608px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_0675.jpg
3MB, 3456x4608px

Forgetting to water them, mostly. I have two ferns that look lovely but are always losing their leaves, making a mess of everything. I have a ficus that once lost half of its leaves while I was on holiday and a friend was supposed to water it. In summer I can just leave it outside though, so that's easy. I've had mold on a couple of plants before.

Definitely. I like plants.

They look cosy and homely. Supposedly make for cleaner air too.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.