[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Woodworking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

I want to find a job that involves crafting things with wood (cabinets, tables,etc) but i have no experience. any woodworkers out there that can give me some advice? Thanks
>>
>>1062740
Get experience
>>
Can you read a tape measure?
>>
Move to Amish country; there is always a woodworker looking for an assistant/apprentice and you'd get a great education in hand tools
>>
>>1063052
these days you're more likely to find cnc machines and battery powered coffeemakers in an Amish cabinet shop than a hand plane
>>
>>1062740
Yeah, that's really not going to happen without experience. Cabinet makers and fine furniture makers are far too invested to use their time teaching someone from the ground up.

Start with getting a good knowledge of framing/joinery then worm your way into more skilled fields of carpentry but even apprentice framers are on pretty shit money.
>>
>>1062740
>I want to find a job that involves crafting things with wood (cabinets, tables,etc) but i have no experience. any woodworkers out there that can give me some advice? Thanks
>>1062763
>Get experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TvSiYu8z2M

My girlfriend used to know a guy who was a carpenter and he said that the most important thing was to find someone who is already experienced as a woodworker that will take you on as an apprentice.
>>
>>1062740
Get an internship, get at least some Bench joinery classes done for basic wood tech and joint cutting and layout.

Be able to machine plane stock square, be able to machine and hand joint boards.

Know basic carcass construction, drawer construction and wood movement issues.

I'd expect someone looking to apprentice to hand cut half laps, tenon and mortice through and stub, dovetails, hand route a rabbet, dado, along with machine routing one.

Be able to plane to a fine finish, and apply basic finishes, oil, wax, shellac.

You can get all this from books and online learning just requires dedication. But some short course would help.

In the end though idiots buy a "live edge slav" of wood with some shitty legs on it all day everyday so don't think you need much training in making as you do in network and client relations, unless you want to go all Alan Peters and Barnsleys workshop about your making.
>>
>>1062740
Where I am, Ohio, it's pretty common for community colleges & technical colleges to have carpentry courses. That education gets your foot in the door.

After you take some classes, you can get a low-paying shit job, slaving away for a few years. Then you have 'some experience'.

I wouldn't bother with the UBC unless you already know people who are members. (And it sounds like you don't.)
>>
>>1062740
Doing an apprenticeship in furniture making here. All I did was walk in and spend a day seeing what they do. Now I make simple jobs and repairs working my way up to more skillful things. Just need to find a starting place.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.