[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello, this is my first project. I found an image of a filter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 13

File: 5.png (306KB, 2688x2240px) Image search: [Google]
5.png
306KB, 2688x2240px
Hello, this is my first project. I found an image of a filter box made out of cardboard and decided to make one out of wood. I couldn't find the pic so I drew up one, I don't remember the dimensions, I think it's 25x25 cm all around, not sure. The original design used a box fan, it works alright, but the fan starts to overheat and create a smell, they're not designed to push air against pressure. I found out I need a centrifugal fan, so I got an EBM papst R2E225 fan.

Thing is I have zero knowledge on electricity and and how to wire this to a fan controller and plug it into the wall. I did some more research and found I need a capacitor, but I don't know what rating or voltage or how it works. I don't have a fan controller, EBM papst makes them but I'm not sure they ship them to the USA, I'll have to look into that. I don't know if this would be safe to have in the bedroom but if anyone could shine a light on this, I'd be grateful. Thanks.
>>
File: 5132131.png (2MB, 1247x681px) Image search: [Google]
5132131.png
2MB, 1247x681px
Shit, I forgot a bit, I'm tired I had trouble writing this up.

I'm planning on mounting the centrifugal fan on the bottom side of the top and cut a whole so it doesn't overheat. Here's a pic of it and it's specifications. I think I'm forgetting something in my post.
>>
>>1062646
I have the R2E225-RA40-21, ignore the second line.
>>
File: SDX-image.jpg (4KB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
SDX-image.jpg
4KB, 400x250px
That will keep you awake at night. It's really designed to be part of a ducted system moving air from multiple rooms.

According to that spec sheet, the capacitor is included with the fan motor.

I presume this impellor is house? It's designed as an inline fan, which normally come housed as it's not a case of just stick them in a box and it will move air like an axial fan would, air movement has to be directed through the impellor much like a water pump, see pic related.

As for speed controller, if it's compatible with one, check your manufacturer specs, then almost any brand of fan controller will work with it. It's more or less a variable resistor with some overload protection and other bits. The 5 step controllers are easiest to find.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (60KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
60KB, 1280x720px
>>1062642
Are you trying to filter dust or smells? Neither is going to be all that quiet. You want to pull air through your filter medium. As anon said, yours looks to be missing a housing.

Pic related is a squirrel cage powered dust filter.
>>
>>1062650
Ah see, I didn't know it needed housing, this is all new to me. I should have asked /diy/ what would have been the best way to go about it before purchasing the fan. Thanks for the info.

>>1062843
I'm trying to filter airborne pollutants, I built that, but it's not as fancy as your pic. I knew of squirrel cage fans but I wanted a centrifugal fan because it's smaller. I don't mind the noise, they'll suck up a lot of air in a short amount of time. THanks.
>>
>>1062852
The best way without any fuckery is to get an inline fan with an inline filter, you wont need housing for that because it is just one thing connecting to another, and then connect to the power
>>
>>1062852

You can still make it work but you will have to manufacture it to have a airflow path. Simplest way would be to have a baffle directly in front of the impeller with a hole on the same centre line no bigger than the inner diameter of the fan between the impeller blades.
>>
File: 1475135741042.jpg (89KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1475135741042.jpg
89KB, 800x800px
>>1062889
>>
File: Selection_009.png (3MB, 1439x742px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_009.png
3MB, 1439x742px
>>1062902
Ah I see what you mean, I looked up an impellor and I wasn't sure how to connect it to the fan, but your diagram cleared it up. You actually didn't have to take the time to sketch this up, I actually feel bad you took the time to make this, you went above and beyond many, many thanks

>>1062889
Do you mean like pic related? Just duct taping the fan to the filter? These things are designed for static pressure? I don't want the fan to overheat and smell. Could I just have it sitting on the floor? These filters are huge and have a ton of carbon in it. Just going by what I read, these look more effective than ordinary HVAC filters with all the activated carbon stuffed in them, I wonder how they fare with dust collection. It would take up a lot of space though, but this is actually looks like a quick and easier solution.
>>
>>1062902
Forgot to ask, I designed the box so it has filters on all sides, I was gonna mount it on the top, could I do that, or would it be better on the side like your diagram?
>>
>>1062902
Cheers for that. I didn't have time to draw anything but that's exactly what I mean.
>>
>>1062916
Did some more research because this is all new to me, the impeller is the housing of the fan which does not come with this fan. Is an impeller just a housing for it, almost like a tube? Or is there a fan or something in there because I wonder if I could get something in that shape and sort of hug it around the fan.
>>
>>1062918
>or would it be better on the side like your diagram?
No, it would be better as you designed it.
I left it on its side like that to reduce any chance of confusion since your fan pic was used.
(still see your fan pic 'through' the baffle)
>>
>>1062972
>Is an impeller just a housing for it
The impeller is the part of the fan that moves.
(impeller - propeller)
>>
>>1063055
>>1063059
Shit, I've been a bit busy and forgot about this thread.

I got a bit confused when I saw you posted that tube thing, I thought I needed something like that, but anon drew up the diagram with the baffle that's required to direct airflow, now I realize. So, all that's left is buying a fan controller and wiring it up to the fan controller. My father might have a soldering kit to connect it, I'll have to look into that.

I did find this video suggesting a capacitor is needed to operate it, because the fan comes with just a wire, vid related. So I guess I'll buy. Would anyone recommend a specific fan controller?
https://youtu.be/FMwb-tTDOEg?t=1m18s

Final question, with a capacitor hanging out just like that, is this gonna be safe? I don't want to short the circuit or electrocute myself. Thanks a bunch guys, you've been very helpful.
>>
>>1063652
It's a starting capacitor, most likely you need it.

Probably you want to solder the wires and use some more durable insulation than those twist-on things, since it's a high vibration environment. Strap the cap and wires to the inside of the box.
>>
File: 1231.png (3MB, 1008x1159px) Image search: [Google]
1231.png
3MB, 1008x1159px
>>1063657
I'm gonna find a way to solder them, I don't want it to be an improper connection. I'm picturing how I could fit the capacitor and wires inside, because I'm gonna add a baffle to it and that's where the air will come out, and I don't think it can be done, I think it's gonna have to hang outside the box. This is my first project and I'm not a very creative, ingenious so I don't see how I can do it. Maybe once it's assembled I'll find a way to fit it inside the box.

What I'm most focused on is figuring how to wire this to a fan controller and plugging it into the wall. I found a capacitor, but I'm not sure if it'll suffice. I've sort of deduced that the nominal voltage of 115 VAC is needed and this capacitor seems to supply it, but what's got me confused is there's another capacitor rated the same VAC voltage yet it's $45. I'll post pics of both.
>>
File: 12315.png (3MB, 1066x1088px) Image search: [Google]
12315.png
3MB, 1066x1088px
>>1063676
Upon further research, I found out I need a capacitor with a MFD 14, I have found one from the same manufacturer.
>>
>>1063680
Further realization, I'm not sure if this capacitor comes with a wire attached, for simplicity sake, would it be all right to get a capacitor rated at 16 MFD? I read that if a capacitor has more MFD than needed the motor can burn out, but it's only 2 more. Or do I need the 14 MFD capacitor and attach wiring to it? I'm sorry, I have a lot of questioins, this is all new to me.
>>
>>1063680
>Upon further research, I found out I need a capacitor with a MFD 14
Umm. It's kinda listed in your first reply pic >>1062646

>>1063680
>I'm not sure if this capacitor comes with a wire attached
The correct capacitor for this application is a motor start/run capacitor.
They generally have terminals sticking out of the end of the device.
The one from the 'same manufacturer' will be the proper one.
If you get a different capacitor, be sure it's of the same type - not just the same MFD rating.

>>1063676
>I'm picturing how I could fit the capacitor and wires inside,
Just strap the capacitor and wires to the baffle inside the box.
>>
>>1063729
>Umm. It's kinda listed in your first reply pic
Yeah I just realized, I'm new to this I have zero knowledge and did some research and learned about MFD.

>>1063729
>The correct capacitor for this application is a motor start/run capacitor. They generally have terminals sticking out of the end of the device.
Thanks for clearing that up. I can't seem to find one rated at 14 MFD, the only one I can find is 16 MFD and I think you're supposed to use the exact rating MFD. Not sure what to do now. The one I found rated at 14 wasn't for a motor.

>Just strap the capacitor and wires to the baffle inside the box.
I think I'll manage it.
>>
File: 231412.png (419KB, 354x403px) Image search: [Google]
231412.png
419KB, 354x403px
>>1063741
I think I can use it, I just need to attach wiring but I'm not sure how to do that.

I abandoned this project a year ago because I couldn't be bothered with it even though it's a learning process, but I should have done more research on a fan, because an inline fan does exactly what this fan does and doesn't require any wiring. I spent $150 on this fan which is why I want to put it to use.
>>
File: 85552-007[1].jpg (27KB, 500x404px) Image search: [Google]
85552-007[1].jpg
27KB, 500x404px
>>1063742
>I just need to attach wiring but I'm not sure how to do that.

1/4" female quick connect blue
they are color coded for the wire size
>>
>>1063963
Thanks a lot, all that's left is to wire to an AC power cord, could I just use one laying around and cut the wire?
>>
File: 16[1].jpg (10KB, 400x247px) Image search: [Google]
16[1].jpg
10KB, 400x247px
>>1064032
>could I just use one laying around and cut the wire?
Sure.
I looked for wiring for your fan and couldn't find info easily so I quit searching.
You may need some 1/4" female connectors in red instead of blue depending on the wires coming out of the fan for the capacitor.
>>
>>1064072
Thanks a lot for taking time to help me out. I couldn't find it either. Looking at the wires, they're really thin, but I have no clue if the red or blue would be a better fit. I could buy both, I found them on a site but the minimum order is 50. Could I damage the capacitor or fan if I use the wrong size female connector?
>>
>>1064081
>they're really thin
The red is for thin wires
>>1064081
>I found them on a site
These are available at hardware stores, auto parts houses, big-box stores, etc.
You shouldn't have to order them.
A package of ten for a couple of dollars.
>>
File: 1425261041724[1].jpg (101KB, 1000x588px) Image search: [Google]
1425261041724[1].jpg
101KB, 1000x588px
I want to make a filtering enclosure for a 3D printer. I'm leaning towards building a recirculation unit right now to keep the fumes, nanoparticles, and other byproducts of printing from filling up my living/working space.

I plan on using a HEPA filter in combination with an activated charcoal "mat" (the kind used in range hoods) and using 60mm PC fans to pull air into the system.

Will this work, or am I better off with an exhaust system that pulls air through the enclosure and into the filter?
>>
>>1064088
>3D printer
what kind
>>
>>1064106
Monoprice maker select (Wanhao Duplicator i3 rebrand).

It's a typical consumer FDM printer.
>>
>>1064088
Depends if you want to heat the enclosure or not.

What bothers you with the fumes? Do you print ABS a lot? The HEPA filter will do practically nothing except maybe make your charcoal filter last longer. You should put it before the charcoal filter in the air path.

Use larger blowers if at all possible. They will be quieter.
>>
>>1064252
I have asthma so I want to filter out as much shit out of the air as possible.
>>
>>1064083
All right, thanks a lot. Gonna check home depot tomorrow.
>>
>>1064434
What are some safety measures? Is the capacitor going to be safe tucked away in the box, will it overheat? I've never soldered anything or done anything electrical.
>>
>>1064252
Also the bed is heated if that helps. I'm more concerned about keeping the fumes in than the heat.
>>
>>1064088
>60mm PC fans
RIP your ears lad
go as big as you possibly can.
>>
>>1064447
Wouldn't bigger be noisier?
>>
>>1064451
Bigger fans move the same amount of air at a much lower speed
lower speed = less noise.
>>
>>1064453
I'll dig into my spare parts stash then. I'm pretty sure I have a 120mm+ fan in there somewhere.
>>
>>1064459
If they're cheap they might still be pretty loud, but much quieter than 60mm.
>>
>>1064252
Would a filter like this work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-HEPA-Type-Filter-A-For-Holmes-Hapf30-2-pack-By-Breathe-Naturally/191947512066

And if I do re circulation, will I have to filter the air being put back into the enclosure as well?
>>
File: Selection_008.png (3MB, 1106x868px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_008.png
3MB, 1106x868px
Found a fan controller but it's a bit pricey at $78. I found a cheaper one but it's a generic controller that you can find many different names slapped on it even though it's the same one, I read some reviews saying it's chinese shit. I looked at the specs and I'm sure this can power the fan at 115 volts. One thing I'm unsure if this is a slow start up motor and if this fan controller works with it.
>>
Got the capacitor, going to order the fan controller. Will post pics when it's put together. Thanks a bunch guys.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.