[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/QTDDTOT/ - Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 333
Thread images: 82

File: hand-76738_640.jpg (37KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
hand-76738_640.jpg
37KB, 640x480px
Questions that don't deserve their own thread: the thread
Time to ask your question, look hours later and find nobody answered it!
>>
>>1061795
why r u a fagaut
>>
>>1061803
This isn't a question related to /diy/. People can't make themselves a fagaut.
>>
File: 100% MAD_1.png (272KB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
100% MAD_1.png
272KB, 350x263px
Maybe I'll have better luck here:
I'm fucking pissed. A renter, who I explicitly told repeatedly "if the water pump runs continuously, for longer than 3 seconds at most, unplug it and tell me". And of course, what happens? I come home and find a note on my door that the pump is turning on and off, he couldn't figure out how to turn it off, and that he's leaving for a while.

I go over, its fucking rapidly cycling, pulling air, very hot, etc. The intake line is fucked up for various relatively predictable, but nonetheless unlikely reasons. I knew he wasn't paying attention worth shit and half saw this coming, but come on. Haven't tested the pump further yet, don't know if it's alright.

The point of this post. I need to find a pressure gauge that either be programmed to output a signal at certain ranges, or constantly outputs its reading. I can have something cut the power to the pump at the outlet when it drops under 5 psi.

Is this a thing, or am I going to have to make it myself? Assuming I still have a functioning otherwise brand new pump. "Please fix, thanks."
>>
>>1061815
I think this is the 3rd time this story appears somewhere on 4chan...
>>
File: poldi-owl.jpg (73KB, 880x645px) Image search: [Google]
poldi-owl.jpg
73KB, 880x645px
>>1061834
I don't know what your problem is. All I want is advice.
>>
File: batt.jpg (579KB, 2434x746px) Image search: [Google]
batt.jpg
579KB, 2434x746px
>>1061795
Transferring from /g/

Before is masking tape holding stripped wire. After is conductive tape. Before somehow worked, after does not. I'm still reading 15+V across the assembly, so I'm not quite sure what might be going wrong. Not reading any significant points of resistance either.
>>
File: Fucked shorts.jpg (3MB, 4288x3216px) Image search: [Google]
Fucked shorts.jpg
3MB, 4288x3216px
Should I fix this shorts?
If no, what should/can I do with it?
>>
>>1061844
My problem is that some anon will engage again in trolling you with:
>I'd like to interject you for a moment. What you call "actual poster" is me, and I didn't post in this thread or elsewhere, nor will I post here again.
Then I will need to read all this shitty discussion again.
>>
>>1061851
Except it's not me and this is a big conspiracy. I guess many people on this board post with their egos.
>>
>>1061815
https://www.verical.com/pd/honeywell-pressure-px3an1bh150psaax-1951863
https://www.grainger.com/category/liquid-level-gauges/drums-and-drum-handling-equipment/material-handling/ecatalog/N-r15
>>
File: RUmmQOh.jpg (128KB, 1658x1038px) Image search: [Google]
RUmmQOh.jpg
128KB, 1658x1038px
I want to make pic related with polypropylene. would my best bet be to make it out of a custom sized sheet of PP? or would plastic welding be able to hold the 36 pound blade?
If I do get a solid sheet/block of PP, what would I use to cut it?
>>
>>1061795
I need to use some sort of tool to file a slot into a piece of aluminum. I have a hand file, but that's going to take a long time and can be fucked up. Is there anything else other than CNC machinery I can use?
>>
>>1061856
I already have something like that
>>
>>1061845
I, OP, don't know.
>>
>>1061863
Me, OP, don't know.
>>
>>1061795
https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_1582677299&feature=iv&src_vid=wiQu0OkW5xY&v=mCqB7IYbyIM

How does he accomplish the angled saw in this ?

I can see his saw has a screw on it that allows for a swivel, but I can't quite figure this out
>>
>>1061845
http://www.avdweb.nl/tech-tips/spot-welder.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5_0tZMnC8s
>>
>>1061867
... Then wire it up properly? You asked for a PSI gauge you can get an electric signal from. there it is.
>>
>>1061888
It is wired up optimally. This setup requires a tenant to unplug it if it runs for more than four seconds
>>
>>1061879
I'm OP, and I don't know.
>>
File: Floppy Disks metal center.jpg (3MB, 4288x3216px) Image search: [Google]
Floppy Disks metal center.jpg
3MB, 4288x3216px
Is there anything I can do with these floppy disks metal centers, besides throwing them away?
>>
>>1061887
Fucking finally. Trying to find welding/soldering solutions for li/ion batts just runs me into tons of pussies who don't want to set fire to their house and say "just don't do anything, have fun". Now I have plans for tomorrow.
>>
>>1061901
Recycle them.
>>
File: E-27 light bulb socket.jpg (2MB, 3664x2748px) Image search: [Google]
E-27 light bulb socket.jpg
2MB, 3664x2748px
Should I fix this E-27 light bulb socket?
>>
File: OK!.jpg (490KB, 1044x1332px) Image search: [Google]
OK!.jpg
490KB, 1044x1332px
>>1061918
Thanks, I will do this.
>>
>>1061896
>The point of this post. I need to find a pressure gauge that either be programmed to output a signal at certain ranges, or constantly outputs its reading. I can have something cut the power to the pump at the outlet when it drops under 5 psi.
Then what the hell are you.here for?
>>
>>1061912
He's started a new series Bout using an arduino to control the welder.

I'm not sure if I missed a video where he wasn't happy with the battery welder for some reason or if he's just doing the new series for fun.
>>
File: Chinese analogic multitester.jpg (2MB, 2748x3664px) Image search: [Google]
Chinese analogic multitester.jpg
2MB, 2748x3664px
Should I fix this? It needs a new AA battery, but I don't know if it's worth to use. And the old AA battery inside it leaked a bit on the head and tail, making the contacts slightly oxidated.

I have a new digital multitester, by the way.
>>
>>1061928
Then put in a 2nd gauge in series!

AND QUIT POSTING THIS EVERYWHERE. If this isn't some new copypasta thing, you've been given plenty of great solutions. Do you expect a shopping list, order form, and youtube video from us?
>>
File: Door Knob.jpg (49KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Door Knob.jpg
49KB, 600x400px
How do I make a contraption that will turn a doorknob?

I wish to allow my dog to open the door to my room by pushing a button.
>>
>>1061845
The problem has nothing to do with your tape. What happened is that somewhere during the process of changing the tape you either inadvertently disconnected one of the batteries or you either tripped a mini breaker or blew a fuse. Your connections are ok (as okay as they can be without being soldered atleast). Now look at the rest of the circuit and find the fuse or breaker and fix it. Should be no problem.
>>
>>1061941
Some would argue that an analog meter is better than a digital one. You can actually see a lot of analog voltage artifacts that a digital meter won't show you. Clean it up and use it.
>>
Has anyone read any good books on root cellars? I like to read about how to make new things and a root cellar is one of them.
>>
>>1061795
Jesus OP. Get a new hand already!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_Ex
>>
>>1061941
Throw that chinese crap into the trash where it belongs. I bought the same meter fot the keks, it cost me 2€, it is a death trap.
>>
>>1061947
Use a dog door.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_door
>>
>>1061953
How is Deus Ex related?
>>
>>1061960
>it is a death trap
Are you dead?
>>
>>1061951
>You can actually see a lot of analog voltage artifacts that a digital meter won't show you.
Could you please explain?
>>
>>1061947
Get lever doorknob. attach chew toy style rope with knot.
Dog will be able to pull down and out to open door.

I have a dog that opens the screen door with a spot for him to bite down on. It's a spring closing door, but plenty of time for him to get nose in to hold door open.

If door opens inward, rope goes down attached to end of piece of wood with hinge at top. Dog pushes on wood which pulls rope down and door inward.
>>
I have a power adaptor that gets 110V AC and delivers 6V DC. But it's not delivering anything, so I opened it to check. This capacitor appears to have the bottom bulged. Am I right, or is it normal?
>>
>>1061983
That's a fire starter not a power adapter, that's the problem.
>>
>>1061985
Why is it a fire starter?
>>
File: board.jpg (4MB, 3000x1222px) Image search: [Google]
board.jpg
4MB, 3000x1222px
>>1061949
Funny thing is, check out that resistor in the upper right. The original got burned up by an accidental short during the first rebuild. The one pictured was ripped from another battery, and it also somehow worked with the tape/wire job. However, not sure if it's exactly right, but it worked. From what I could gather on the old one, it was 5mΩ.
>>
File: cutting an angle.jpg (85KB, 679x244px) Image search: [Google]
cutting an angle.jpg
85KB, 679x244px
>>1061879
The saw is affixed under the table by the plate.
The plate stays level while the blade moves to the angle desired.
>>
>>1061983
From that angle it looks like it's just the capacitor's sleeve which seems "bulged". That's not unusual in very old capacitors and it's ok.
That said, considering the age of that thing, it wouldn't be surprising if the capacitor had failed (and taken the diode with it). Use a multimeter to check the capacitor and the diode.

>>1062002
Are you joking? That painter's tape insulation, crude construction in general and the apparent lack of a fuse isn't exactly trust-inspiring.
>>
File: Sainsmart DDS120.jpg (89KB, 1001x1001px) Image search: [Google]
Sainsmart DDS120.jpg
89KB, 1001x1001px
I am new to electronics and recently acquired an oscilloscope, a sainsmart DDS120. I am going to use it to take measurements for the radio circuits that I build

I have never used an oscilloscope before and was wondering if anyone here has links to any useful tutorials as so far I have seen a lot of confusing and contradictory statements on how to ground and use the scope.
>>
>>1062041
Thanks anon!

What uh, what would you call this saw?
>>
>>1062041
Disregard my last question, its a fucking circular saw I'm retarded.
>>
>>1061887

That guy is awesome. His youtube channel is a treasure trove.
>>
>>1062043
>Use a multimeter to check the capacitor and the diode.
and the two windings
>>
File: 20160928_014144.jpg (994KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160928_014144.jpg
994KB, 2048x1536px
Last thread hit autosage before I could get an answer.
I have this big transformer, it was from an amplifier, I want to make a linear PSU with it, but it has two outputs of +50 and +50 volts (not center tapped). I know the voltage is determined by the winding ratio in the transformer, so, could I disassemble the transformer (hack saw the welds), cut some windings and modify it until I have ranges from 0-20 volts and 0-40 volts?
I would leave the primary intact, of course. I just want to remove all the useless windings, add a 5 volt, a 12 volt winding and modify the other ones to output the desired voltage.
>>
I want to build a medium sized (3x1.5) wooden table, but lack serious woodworking skills and a table saw. What's the best 90 degree joint I can make? I'm thinking dowels. I've ruled out dovetails since I am shit at them and box joints because no table saw. Please no kreg jig nonsense.
>>
>>1062084
In reality, you deleted your post on the last thread.
>>
How should I go about restoring log ceiling beams thatvwere never ment to be seen? Its an old european house, the voids were filled with straw, shitty boards covering that and on top of it reeds that were plastered.
Now that everything is getting insulated from the attis, I want to let the bes show, I can posts pics later if anybody is interested.
>>
File: Capacitor on another angle.jpg (3MB, 3216x4288px) Image search: [Google]
Capacitor on another angle.jpg
3MB, 3216x4288px
>>1062043
>Are you joking?
No.

>That painter's tape insulation, crude construction in general and the apparent lack of a fuse isn't exactly trust-inspiring.
I would replace the insulation by electrical tape. But I think I can't make the construction better, and I don't know how to add a proper fuse.

Taking into account that this is an unsafe AC adaptor, is it really worth to check the components and fix it, or would it be more adequate to buy a better one? The problem is that I don't know if I can buy a better one, as probably I can't open these things inside the store to check the quality.
>>
Is it a good or bad idea to galvanize your straight razor?

Is there a reason why people don't do this?
>>
How much of a nightmare is it working with old cloth wiring?
>>
File: 00J0J_4N0uHdQgTd3_600x450.jpg (26KB, 337x450px) Image search: [Google]
00J0J_4N0uHdQgTd3_600x450.jpg
26KB, 337x450px
Anyone have experience reupholstering a vinyl gym bench? Might buy this adjustable bench cheap if I can fix it up a bit
>>
File: openbeam-kits.jpg (166KB, 1500x937px) Image search: [Google]
openbeam-kits.jpg
166KB, 1500x937px
Do the outside grooves on these things serve any function beyond reducing material (=weight&cost)?

Also the diagram (in the corner) one of the inner edges is cut open, but in the pic they seem solid. Did they change the design at some point or whats going on?
>>
Should I study Aerocraft engineering or regular engineering?

I am not very good at maths. I also live next to two airports.
>>
I want to make a spotlight for my cat that essentially just projects a square of warm bright light, essentially mimicking a ray of natural sunlight. Hoping to project the light 10ft away or so, would want to install it somewhere high up
>>
>>1062285
I guess more directly, can I put a heat bulb behind a square focusing lens and essentially project a concentrated beam of heat several feet away?
>>
File: Aluprofil_F-40x40-Verbindung.jpg (120KB, 800x571px) Image search: [Google]
Aluprofil_F-40x40-Verbindung.jpg
120KB, 800x571px
>>1062273
The mounting hardware uses those grooves. Pic related.
And your diagram is obviously negative. Are you trolling or something?
>>
>>1062293
I suppose i was unclear.. i hilighted the bits i meant
>>
>>1062299
The small grooves might be for preventing rotation - or not.
The 50deg opening makes it easier to screw shit to the center hole.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (30KB, 408x268px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
30KB, 408x268px
I built a bed. It's really simple, just a rectangle of four long planks of wood held together with some metal parts that interlock. I haven't used the bed yet, since I haven't got a matress that fits it yet, but a friend told me I should add a beam of wood in the middle to stabilize it.

My question is, whether I really need that beam or not?
I won't be putting in two seperate slatted frames, so I don't need anything in the middle for them to rest on. I was planning on using a simple frame that just rolls out and uses straight pieces of wood, instead of the bendy ones.

Pic isn't the bed I built, but it's got the middle part I'm talking about.

tl;dr: Do I need the beam in the middle of the bed?
>>
File: bed-slats-lg.jpg (109KB, 900x571px) Image search: [Google]
bed-slats-lg.jpg
109KB, 900x571px
>>1062334
Hello. Why do you need a bed if it's so low?

By the way, you need many planks under the mattress... Check this image. Otherwise, the mattress will just fall to the ground, it can't float in the air.
>>
>>1062336
I was planning on putting in slats just like in your picture. But I have some wood on the inside of the frame which the slats would rest on. My question is if I need the middle beam or not. The bed will be 120cm wide.
And my picture is not the bed I built.
>>
>>1062337
Do you already have the beam, or would make it later?
>>
>>1062176
The interior logs if theyre used as a support should not be exposed.
>>
>>1062266
It's literally staples. As long as you can maintain the bench padding to be perfectly flat and not full of voids you should able to do whatever
>>
>>1062340
I'd still need to get it.
>>
>>1062334
I think it depends on how wide your bed will be.
>>
>>1062337
>>1062351
>>
I want to build a mid century modern console/hall table, about 36 to 48 inches long, if I put breadboard ends on. Can I leave the whole thing open, like a box with no faces, or should I put a stiffener in the middle like so. It's not going to have much stuff on it like a coffee table would. And I want to build it out of 3/4" hardwood
>>
File: Casio Data Bank.jpg (2MB, 2748x3664px) Image search: [Google]
Casio Data Bank.jpg
2MB, 2748x3664px
Should I fix this Casio Data 64KB Bank?
>>
>>1062445
There are shelf sag calculators out there. But if you can guarantee that no one will sit on it...
>>
>>1062173
It's still there, I deleted the original one to answer some questions in the same post.
>>1061682

>>1062531
>>1061941
>>1061919
>>1061846
Are you a troll, or just retarded? You're just posting image after image saying "Should I fix x?"
>>
Can I use 3d printed plastic to house copper contacts that will have 12v going through them?
>>
File: Knipex.png (130KB, 1379x481px) Image search: [Google]
Knipex.png
130KB, 1379x481px
Is there going to be anything better for cutting 3/8ths inch Chainmain rings?

I used to use a carptenter's pincer, but it's really hard to cut with the one I have probably just because it's old, rather not have to go through that again
>>
>>1062867
use a proper chain cutter, a small cutter is not for this task
>>
>>1062868
Like a bolt cutter type thing? that's cleary the best, but it won't fit inside, I can go at an angle, but that's going to take forever

otherwise I've heard of potentialy just sawing the rings, but that's sounds like more trouble than it's worth
>>
>>1062289
Are you mounting a fucking heat ray to cat?
>>
Im trying to fix a chink desk telephone that won't give audio over the speaker. So far I know the p4c4 cable is good. I have a multimeter, should I check for something on the telephone speaker pins?
>>
File: CAM01105.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
CAM01105.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1062342
They are holding just an (mostly empty) thats will not be conditioned, the attic floor will be insulated.
Here is what it looks like.
Also i have the same ceiling in the bathroom which I plant to cover with green drywall underceiling, should I put some moisture protection between the boards and the drywall or is the green drywall enough?
>>
>>1062870
>Like a bolt cutter type thing?

I haven't made chain-mail but have seen topics about it.
The Knipex cutter will leave bevels on the cut ends.
A bypass cutter will leave the ends squared.
I think this is what you'd want.
I have a small (10") cable cutter like pic related.
If it will hold up to the material you want to cut, I think it would be a better choice
>>
>>1062908
I'm cutting 14 gauge steel

I'll look into those, I might just use a rotary tool to slice down them potentially
>>
Is my math right?
Watts: 750
Volts: 110
=
6.81 Amps

Based from:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139051
>>
>>1062882

No I'm trying to shine a 2ft x 2ft square of warm light on the floor so my kitty can lay in it
>>
>>1062917
Yes, your math is right
>>
>>1062689
>Are you a troll, or just retarded?
Neither one.

>You're just posting image after image saying "Should I fix x?"
Yeah, guess what... I need to know if I need to fix these things!
>>
File: Stopped digital clock.jpg (2MB, 3664x2748px) Image search: [Google]
Stopped digital clock.jpg
2MB, 3664x2748px
Should I replace this clock's battery?
>>
>>1063162

None of these things you have posted would fetch a good price if refurbished and sold. Where are you from? What level autism are you?
>>
>>1063163
>None of these things you have posted would fetch a good price if refurbished and sold.
My idea isn't to sell it.

>Where are you from?
South America.

>What level autism are you?
I don't have, my psychiatrist told me.
>>
File: 41hX0v1YV5L.jpg (27KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
41hX0v1YV5L.jpg
27KB, 500x382px
I'm trying to build an AC adapter for 18V battery operated power tools. Approximately how many amps do I need from the power supply to get performance equal to or better than batteries?
>>
>>1063166
As much as you can get. I looked into this myself some years back and a 12 volt DC motor can pull upwards of 35 Amps at stall speed. An 18 volt motor can probably pull even more.
>>
>>1063162
I can't tell if that's a clock or a watch.
Either way, if it's useful to you while functioning then replace the damn battery

Btw how old are you
>>
Is soldering easy to into? I want to make myself a portable emulation box but it requires messing around with PCBs n wires n shiet and I don't know how to do that.
>>
File: LED.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
LED.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
Hi I was looking to make a 3 to 10w LED flashlight. I thought it would make a nice project, but then I remember I'm stupid.

Anyone know of a good tutorial on what I would need? I would like to learn these things and most of what I've found is how tos on ripping apart an already working flashlight learning nothing, or making some 1000w monster again with little in the way of why or how just a part list.
>>
>>1063183
>Btw how old are you
Old enough to use this forum and not be banned.
>>
>>1063184
Practice plus experience, just like anything else.
>>
>>1063184
Most effective way to do that is make a box to put a Pi3 and a couple usb controllers in, more of a wood working project. Unless you are trying to make a custom arcade stick.
>>
What do you guys think, is this pure Nitrous oxide or is there something nasty mixed in?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LISS-Nitrous-Oxide-Chargers-Whipped-Cream-N2O-NOS-NOZ-8g-CREAM-CANISTER-/111832433672?var=&hash=item1a09bb8408:m:mO4A1ji0yjHXgOYlq2BWhaw
>>
i need to get the last nut off of a slightly bent bicycle axle.
i have an adjustable wrench.
do i need to buy a vise-grip pipe wrench?
>>
>>1063226
Channel locks have been good to me for stuff like that. And pb blaster
>>
>>1063226
Are you trying to recover the axel? If not drill it out, if so vice-grips maybe your only option but go gentle or you'll fuck the threads on the axel
And in general you shouldn't post to this board if you don't own a vice-grips
>>
>>1063234
no. how do i drill it out?
i don't have vice grips or a table or anything.
one of the ends of the axle's threads is already completely fucked from riding.
the other end is slightly bent from resting on the fork and taking impact, but the threading is still clean.
theory: i get a vice grip pipe wrench or something and hold the axle (hopefully it doesn't slip form the grip) and the other end i use a wrench and screw off the nut.
all i need to do is recover the nuts.
>>1063233
i have a channel lock but the axle slides between it and the nut won't turn. i am planning on krazy gluing the axle to the channel lock and tossing both items just to recover 2 nuts. otherwise idk
>>
File: vuvuzela.jpg (14KB, 300x189px) Image search: [Google]
vuvuzela.jpg
14KB, 300x189px
Is there a little relay type device which requires 2 positive inputs to active rather than just 1? I have a thing which needs to activate only when 2 separate other things turn on.
>>
>>1063241
and gate
>>
What would I look for if I was looking for a single switch that would toggle multiple contacts? Like I could connect four inputs, connect four outputs and one flick of the switch could connect the inputs and outputs.
>>
>>1063241
>>1063249
You can just use 2 relays if that's easy.
Consider an and gate is two switches in series. An or gate is two switches on parallel
>>
>>1063254
google ''four pole single throw" if you just wanna switch on-off, or "four pole double throw" if you wanna flip between two different inputs.
>>
>>1063254
For switching 4 inputs between a two sets of 4 outputs, the term is 4PDT (4 pole double throw).
If it's just on/off for 4 lines, the term is 4PST (single throw).
>>
File: Stopped golden clock.jpg (2MB, 3664x2748px) Image search: [Google]
Stopped golden clock.jpg
2MB, 3664x2748px
>>
What bar and chain for a stihl 036 pro? I have an oregon bar, 20" .058, 3/8, 72 DL and the chain I bought that matches the bar is too long, Im thinking I have the wrong bar on it. The drive sprocket on the saw is 3/8 7 point
>>
How do I figure out how long a compressor will supply an air tool? For example, an air impact uses 22 cfm at 90 psi under load, the compressor can supply 4cfm at 90 psi, and the air tank is 27 gallons at 150 psi. Assuming the tank is entirely full, what would the equation for this look like?
>>
File: 20160930_150735-1.jpg (3MB, 2236x2236px) Image search: [Google]
20160930_150735-1.jpg
3MB, 2236x2236px
Should I tie this shoe?
>>
>>1063409
Can you tie your own shoes?
>>
>>1063409
What a pathetically small foot
>>
>>1063410
Cmon guyz. I really need help with this.

>>1063431
US size 11. Not really that big or small.
>>
File: bait - eventually.jpg (141KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
bait - eventually.jpg
141KB, 625x626px
>>1063410
>Can you tie your own shoes?
It was a response to
>>1063369
>>1063162
>>1062531
>>1061941
>>1061919
this idiot

He shouldn't have responded at all though because the "should I fix?" guy is a troll.
>>
File: water-damage-to-walls.png (132KB, 366x275px) Image search: [Google]
water-damage-to-walls.png
132KB, 366x275px
We're getting a lot of rain and I noticed some of the paint on one of my outside facing walls is starting to look like pic related in two places.

I'm living in my first apartment. What should I do to fix this?
>>
>>1063435
Call the landlord. It's not your problem to fix.
>>
>>1063436
I was more wondering if there was any easy fix I could do, so I don't have to deal with getting the landlord to look at it, send in a guy, stay home while he fixes it.
>>
>>1063437
>stay home while he fixes it.
I do rental maintenance
I fix things daily while no one is home.
(I don't fuck with people's stuff)
>>
>>1063446
I mean I can work from home, so it's not a big deal. More dealing with my landlord, I have to clean up.
>>
File: pillows_blocked_rj3298rhj4.jpg (235KB, 1888x944px) Image search: [Google]
pillows_blocked_rj3298rhj4.jpg
235KB, 1888x944px
I'd love to find a source of "miniature" pillow blocks--especially the spherical/pressed steel ones.
All the ones I've ever seen are at least a 3/4" bore tho, on up.

And now I've found that they make 8mm ones because lots of 3D printers are using 8mm acme screw rods, but those are solid not spherical and I really want Imperial sizes anyway...
Anybody seen anything? Like, say from 1/4" up to 1/2" or so?

I can find companies that manufacture the pressed steel mounts in smaller sizes, but you need pericardial-shell bearings to use in them and I can't find any places that sell the whole complete pillow blocks.

Pic related: the pressed-steel ones are spherical (they can adjust a few degrees of misalignment). The two blue ones are solid.
>>
File: 20160925_094533.jpg (849KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160925_094533.jpg
849KB, 2048x1152px
sup /diy/. I've got an older cat and I'm curious as to what I can do about keeping the litterbox cleaner. Ever since I got her, she's always had this problem of pissing over the side of standard litterboxes. I guess she likes to pee as close to the side/corner as she can (as you can see in the pic). I solved the pissing over the side problem by making a box of my own by cutting an entrance hole in the side of a rubbermaid tote.

I put 4-5 inches of litter in this thing and somehow she pees hard enough that it goes to the bottom and clumps on the bottom/side of the box (her "spot"). I thought removing the clumps of litter daily would solve the problem, but it hasn't. I think the problem is that the pee runs to the bottom of the box and doesn't clump up fast enough. I use tidy cats clumping litter (big yellow tub of litter). It's a pretty big box (probably 2'x3') so pulling it out of the closet to clean is a bit of a chore (also given that it has probably 20lbs of litter in it!) What I do is I tip it up at about a 45degree angle and let all the 'clean' litter fall to the bottom so I can scrape the still-wet litter (as you can see in the picture) off with the scooper, which then becomes nasty. After removing the majority of the wet piss litter, I'm left with a ridiculously sticky/slippery residue on the bottom of the box that's a chore to remove! Usually use windex or other cleaner and paper towels. This can be a lengthy process and I can't realistically do it everyday. If I don't I end up with very large clumps that are almost more than my scooper can handle because she'll pee in that same spot again and again. I add new litter all the time to keep it fresh and completely change it out pretty regularly. Just for some reason she really likes that corner and only pees in that one corner.
>>
>>1063510
one solution would be to make a new box that's shaped like /_____\ instead of |_____| so that she can't piss right up in the corner and is forced out towards the center more. I suppose I could also attach something to the current box that keeps her from getting right at the edge to pee. Trouble is, it will still go to the bottom and make a mess instead of forming nice round clumps like most cat piss does. For the record, she drinks a lot of water, when she pees she pees a lot and it's really forceful (possibly the reason it goes through the 4-5 inches of litter!)

suggestions?
>>
File: dogelog[1].jpg (77KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
dogelog[1].jpg
77KB, 640x480px
>>1063512
>suggestions?
get a doge
>>
>>1063515
have one! They require so much more attention, but they piss and shit outside! Unless you leave them in the house for too long.
>>
I just broke my apartment key and don't wanna pay $40 to replace it since I know it costs $2 (used to work at a hardware store). Do you think if I went to the local locksmith he'd help me out and even press the DO NOT DUPLICATE onto it? It also has the letter F on both sides.
>>
>>1063519
my guess would be 'no' if the key says 'D.N.D' he probably won't. Wouldn't hurt to try though. In the meantime, do you have a way to get in and to lock up when you leave to protect your shit?
>>
>>1063537
My roommates can lock it up. I could go all the way to the hardware store I used to work at, and they could cut it, then I could just go to a locksmith and get him to imprint it, just sounds like a lot of work since it's an hour away haha
>>
>>1063409
You seem to be having a problem with your sock. What is happening?
>>
>>1063434
>the "should I fix?" guy is a troll.
I'm not a troll. Not totally. I'm thinking that maybe /adv/ is a better board to ask this kind of question, should I migrate to it?
>>
Is this a fire hazard? The big lights are 20 watts and the little ones are like 14. Everything is within its marked rating, and the bulbs never get hotter than mildly painful to touch. Don't know much about electricity.
>>
File: IMG_20161001_124121.jpg (3MB, 4160x2336px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161001_124121.jpg
3MB, 4160x2336px
>>1063610
Forgot picture sorry
>>
>>1063611
>Is this a fire hazard?
It's more of a hazard for all the connections than for the lamps themselves.
>>
I have some old audio gear that I salvaged that has had the end of the power cords cut off. Most of this stuff doesn't have a ground pin, so would a replacement plug like this be suitable to fix them?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FPAN84/ref=pd_aw_sim_60_of_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=W7KZHTX6SEYRDQX74FCQ
>>
So I bought this heater and a 20lb propane tank, is there anything else I need besides a hose to hook the two up? Do I need like a pressure regulator or anything? Or maybe some kind of adapter for this heater? I don't really use propane, only in grills and lanterns when camping and on the forklifts at work i don't really know much about it. Thanks.

Link to product in question: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo-30-000-BTU-Blue-Flame-Vent-Free-Dual-Fuel-Garage-Heater-GBF30DTDG-1/206556619
>>
Does anyone know of some cheap butane lighters with extened nozzles? Im trying to weld some aluminum cans and I dont want to burn my hand, but for some reason theres a massive cost jump when you get an extended nozzle. I got a 50 dollar budget for the entire project, and maybe 15 dollars are getting put towards the welding parts, which is why im using aluminum cans. I might be able to use plastic with a bit of aluminum tho, but im afraid it will take away from the overall sturdiness of the piece
>>
>>1063656
You shouldnt have any problems needing an adapter, it pretty uncommon. You don't need a regulator either, since it that small of an amount. Regulators are only good for the really large propane tanks. You should be just fine
>>
>>1063670
Okay thanks, much appreciated.
>>
>>1063518
Sorry to say anon, but the real problem here is that your cat is getting old. Older cats, particularly house cats, end up developing kidney problems because they haven't died of anything else yet. Basically, any cat that lives long enough will develop kidney problems eventually. What is happening here is that your cat maybe in the beginning to middle of kidney problems, and as a result her body is forcing her to pee more and more often. The strong stream of urine is a dead giveaway. I beleive the professional term for forcefully peeing like that is called 'streaking'.

Anyway, I had the same problem with two of my cats, both were older. The problem seems to start around the 10 year mark. I had one that made it to 15, and another that made it to 18. There is no real solution since peeing in this manner is actually what they have to do to keep the small amount of working kidney still working. Since you will have to deal with her doing this, your only options are a different design of box, as you mentioned, or possibly changing the litter to a more expensive crystal style litter that doesn't clump but still absorbs.

Good on you for taking good care of your cat. I really mean that. Unfortunately, this is a problem that you are going to deal with until she is gone. As far as the cat goes, you can try a low protein diet (with food that the vet can prescribe) and there is a cat medicine avaliable to help slow (but not stop) kidney failure, also avaliable from a vet. If you do a blood and urine test at the vet and detect a kidney problem, that basically means she has already lost around 75% of her kidneys. It sounds like you take good enough care of her that she will probably die of a kidney problem, but that may still be a couple or several years in the future. Best of luck, and I hope you will know when to pull the plug while she still has her dignity.
>>
>>1061863
Nip it with a grinder with a cutting blade?
>>
File: fhb450.jpg (95KB, 1024x667px) Image search: [Google]
fhb450.jpg
95KB, 1024x667px
We have old HiFi system (pic related) from Sony. Model is FH-B450. Mother for some reason threw away speakers.
My question is, are speakers any good? Asking because I don't know much about speakers and generally old stuff was more quality made. If they are good I can still get them out of the trash can.
>>
File: WP_20161001_12_41_33_Pro.jpg (463KB, 1632x916px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20161001_12_41_33_Pro.jpg
463KB, 1632x916px
Hi,
Bought an old turntable (Telefunken de luxe Musikus 5092) and it seems to have weird output for the speakers (on the pic, the left one is for left speaker, center is for stereo or something like that and right is for right speaker).

how do I plug my normal jacks in it? What kind of output are those?
>>
>>1063699
If they still work why not use them.
>>
File: Screenshot at 2016-10-01 21:16:43.png (1002KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot at 2016-10-01 21:16:43.png
1002KB, 1280x1024px
>>1063707
>>
>>1063670
>Regulators are only good for the really large propane tanks.

Wrong. Tank size is not relevant.
>>
>>1063712
thx
>>
The light switch in my room makes a faint hiss that sometimes goes if I apply light pressure on the switch. I took the cover off to see if there was a bad connection and there wasn't. Without the cover it makes absolutely no noise, should I change the switch? Im not the smartest guy but afaik any electrical conductor will resonate when current passes through it and since the cover is made from metal I think some "noise" might be intesified by the metal cover. What do
>>
>>1063627
>a replacement plug like this be suitable to fix them?
make sure the small blade goes to the switched wire
>>
>>1063656
You absolutely need a regulator.
The stove is expecting a gas pressure measured in inches of water column.
(very low pressure)
The propane tank pressure varies by the temperature but is measured in PSI
(at 70F it's 110PSI)
>>
>>1063730
>a faint hiss that sometimes goes if I apply light pressure on the switch
It's likely arcing between the contacts inside.
I'd replace it.
>>
>>1063610
>the bulbs never get hotter than mildly painful to touch
They are LED, right? LED never gets too hot under normal operation.
>>
>>1063699
Quickly, get them from the trash bin.
After this, come back here and post a photo of them.
Don't forget to ask why she threw them away, too, please.
>>
>>1063707
The central connection is DIN-5/MIDI.
>>
File: Stopped square clock.jpg (2MB, 3664x2748px) Image search: [Google]
Stopped square clock.jpg
2MB, 3664x2748px
>>
What is the bump and image limit for /diy/?
>>
>>1061846
No
>>
>>1061919
No
>>
>>1061941
No
>>
>>1062531
No
>>
>>1063162
No
>>
>>1063369
No
>>
>>1063821
No
>>
>>1063844
stop encouraging this dick. SAGE and hide.
>>
>>1063821
well, friend, you need to look at the cost of the new battery vs the value of the watch. This should include both the monetary value and any sentimental value. If it's an heirloom, then I would probably pay the cost to have the battery replaced. If there is no connection and it's just a watch, decide if you like the watch enough to keep and replace the battery or just throw it away. Watches are pretty reasonable today
>>
>>1063211
what is that I don't even
>>
File: 500853829.png (98KB, 868x576px) Image search: [Google]
500853829.png
98KB, 868x576px
>>1063211
>is this pure Nitrous oxide or is there something nasty mixed in?
Did you bother to read the description?
(also: over 18's only)
>>
I have this power adaptor that gets 110V/220V AC and delivers 3V, 4.5V, 6V, 7.5V, 9V or 12V DC. But it has a problem: the 4.5V (only I tested) oscillates so much it reaches 10V. I believe this would fuck completely the devices I could connect to it, so I didn't connected.

I opened, and saw this inside. What is wrong?

BTW, it smells good.
>>
>>1061951
>Clean it up and use it.
How do I clean battery leak oxidation? I never was able to do this.
>>
>>1061960
>I bought the same meter fot the keks
When? I belive mine is very old.
>>
>>1061985
>>1062043
So, assuming it's a fire starter, it's better to throw it away than fix and improve it?
>>
>>1063409
Probably you should. Not tying it could lead to falls, that can lead to cranial trauma.
>>
>>1063872
>This should include both the monetary value and any sentimental value.
They don't have sentimental value. Most objects I have don't have any sentimental value and can be replaced by another equivalent objects.
>>
>>1063982
that's good then. What is the watch worth in working condition and if it's less than the cost of the battery, that should give you your answer. Unless you just really really like that particular watch and want to keep it.
>>
File: CCzgaKNUkAEeX2Q.jpg (74KB, 1023x712px) Image search: [Google]
CCzgaKNUkAEeX2Q.jpg
74KB, 1023x712px
>>1063611
>click on picture
>expect marijuana
>its not marijuana
>>
>>1064001
No man, are you crazy? Marijuana is the Public Enemy #1. Nobody can have it at home.
>>
File: Old CPU coolers.jpg (2MB, 3664x2748px) Image search: [Google]
Old CPU coolers.jpg
2MB, 3664x2748px
I'd just like to report some progress...

Some time ago, I asked on this board, on a qtddtot thread, if it was possible to remove the blades of these CPU coolers. One anon told me it was impossible, because the blades are part of the rotor and can't be removed.

1/2
>>
>>1064009
This proved to not be accurate. I could remove the plastic blades from one of these CPU coolers. Below them, there is a metal part, so I only needed to break the plastic part attached to it, as you can see.

Though I don't know yet how to remove the basis of the cooler from the black plastic structure...

2/2
>>
>>1064010
>>1064009
>One anon told me it was impossible, because the blades are part of the rotor and can't be removed
>so I only needed to break the plastic part attached to it

Anything can be removed if you just break it...
>>
>>1064011
My purpose wasn't to re-use the blades, I said at that time that my purpose was removing them and attaching something else in place.

What he tried to do appears to be that the magnets inside are attached to the plastic piece, but this is wrong. The magnets are attached to the metal piece, where the plastic piece is attached.
>>
I'm moving to an area with elk, and I need to build an elk resistant fence in my yard to keep the elk out of it because I like to garden.

I'm using http://www.dfw.state.or.us/wildlife/living_with/docs/deerelkfences.pdf

as a guideline to buy materials but honestly, I've never really made any kind of serious fences before. I get the general concept, put in a post, attach fencing, easy. However, something that I noticed while reading this is that it says "If steel posts are used for
line posts, every seventh post should be of wood." I was planning on getting steel posts, so I was wondering if someone could explain to me exactly why 'every x post should be wood'.
>>
>>1064001
nigga be growin dat dank tulasi basil.
>>
File: 71fGolSaa-L._SL1500_.jpg (233KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
71fGolSaa-L._SL1500_.jpg
233KB, 1500x1500px
would this be good as a bench power supply for laser diodes? it has constant current and constant voltage control and a built in display for 20 bucks. biggest diode i would use is like 2 amps at 4 volts so its well within its specs.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FQH4M82
>>
>>1064016
Might be an easily removable post meant for tightening the fence
>>
>>1064024
If you can tolerate some ripple, sure.
>>
>>1064046
probably not, or at least for a long time. can i place some filter caps in series with the output to alleviate it?
>>
>>1064016

Steel posts will lean when something runs into it. They are only sunk a few feet into the ground. Every x feet of length you'll need a post that can bear the force of an animal running into it without being pushing over. It also helps prevent the fence from leaning over time.

Make sure you build good corners. That's the key to a tension fence that lasts.
>>
>>1064053
what makes a corner good? Anchored into the ground more heavily than the other posts?
>>
File: image.jpg (384KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
384KB, 1920x1080px
I'm currently in the midst of creating a zombie film. Does anyone have any general tips for the zombies of the film and their development? Or any other stuff that would benefit a zombie flick?
>>
>>1064059
Not him but remember to call your local utility locate service, dig aler, underground alert, something like that. It will be local to your state and free and is actually required by law, up to a 10k$ fine.

The gas/power/phone/cable company does not want you hitting their shit and the difference between hundreds of thousands of dollars and death could be just two feet in one direction and a little bit more planning.
>>
>>1064064
Cgl would know more makeup and shit than us, we got a couple guys that make moulds and have done face and body moulds though.
>>
File: 526909563.png (2MB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
526909563.png
2MB, 1280x800px
>>1064059
>what makes a corner good?
Does Google not work where you live?
>>
Can I make my own aesthetic rainbow knife by buying a titanium knife and anodizing the blade myself?
>>
We've had threads regarding Raspberry Pi and suitable portable power sources before, but the archives are so cluttered with stupid Pi questions I can't seem to find a helpful thread.

My question is - is this power supply able to SAFELY power my RaspPi and if so about how long will the run-time be on a single charge?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ITILPZ4?_encoding=UTF8&ref_=de_a_smtd&showDetailTechData=1&th=1
>>
I want to plan a desk build but I suck at drawing. I'd rather do it with software like CAD but don't want to buy CAD just to play around with. Does anyone have good suggestions for free software that I can plan out a simple desk with?
Also I wanted to ask for opinions on the surface. Would plywood be smooth enough? I like the look of wood, but if it would be best to cover it in vinyl or something, I might try that.
>>
>>1064077
Google does not work on China.
>>
File: 20161002_133653-1.jpg (3MB, 2236x2236px) Image search: [Google]
20161002_133653-1.jpg
3MB, 2236x2236px
How do i remove that nut? I dont have the wrench needed, while im willing to buy it, i also dont know what its even called so i cant purchase it.
>>
File: Portable radio receptor scrap.jpg (2MB, 3664x2748px) Image search: [Google]
Portable radio receptor scrap.jpg
2MB, 3664x2748px
I have this portable radio receptor scrap...
1/2
>>
File: scrap scrap scrap.jpg (2MB, 3664x2748px) Image search: [Google]
scrap scrap scrap.jpg
2MB, 3664x2748px
>>1064316
...If I want to scrap components to build a good crystal radio receptor, are these the ones I need to scrap? Is there someone I have not marked, or some I marked wrongly?
2/2
>>
>>1064233
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-aided_design#Software
>>
>>1064284
it needs a special spanner wrench

you could find a piece of metal tubing about the same diameter and file down the sides until you have 3 teeth and use that

or you could use a small nail, hold the knife in a vise, and tap the indentations clockwise until it unscrews
>>
There's some shrubbery in front of my house. What are some ways to get rid of it?
>>
>>1063174
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but wouldn't an 18V and 12V battery have the same amperage, the only difference being the number of cells in series? The power gain is from increasing potential while current remains the same.

In the case of a Li-ion battery, 3x3.6V cells = 10.8V (advertised as 12V MAX) and 5x3.6V cells = 18V (20V MAX). The cells are no better at discharging, there's just 2/3 more of them.
>>
File: 14754471456541395806073.jpg (1MB, 2240x1344px) Image search: [Google]
14754471456541395806073.jpg
1MB, 2240x1344px
>>1064348
Here's a picture of it. Will stump remover work?
>>
File: IMG_20161002_142422.jpg (825KB, 972x1365px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161002_142422.jpg
825KB, 972x1365px
This is from the rectified/stepped down side of the power module from a Panasonic PVR, is there any chance it is a cheap fix of just replacing the caps? Or is there no way to know or more than likely hosed the rest of the electronics in the system?
>>
>>1064381
>is there any chance it is a cheap fix of just replacing the caps?

yes, good chance

>Or is there no way to know or more than likely hosed the rest of the electronics in the system?

unlikely anything else was damaged. only way to tell is to try the fix. BTW, if you wanna do a quick test, just solder new caps across the old ones. or just press them in place if you have three hands.
>>
File: 1475445070991.jpg (63KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1475445070991.jpg
63KB, 1280x720px
Reposting from another thread, is there any way to make contact lenses that glow bright red like pic related without UV light?
>>
>>1064325
I feel silly now, but thanks!
>>
>>1064381
yeah but make sure you solder the caps in the right way cuz if you get them in backwards they WILL explode.
>>
>>1061859
>>>/cgl/
try the larp thread
>>
>>1064327
>tap the indentations clockwise
are you sure about that?
>>
>>1064380
>Will stump remover work?
You gonna just sprinkle some on them and watch them go away?
Dig them up!
>>
Thinking about buying an old apartment building.

It has 4 units . 2 up 2 down.
A mix of wiring. Including k&t.
I know the insurance company will not provide insurance if i dont have it replaced, if i buy the building.

Is it ok by code to have wiring run upto the upstairs units in metal conduit on the outside of the building.

I am thinking. It may be easiest/cheapest to run a sub pannel in the unit.

Leave the main pannel to handle th washer , drier, ac and furnace.

And a sub pannel with all new wiring in the unit for lights and outlets.
>>
>>1062334
Yes . You will need a center. And you should have slats.

A good lay out is to use 1x3 or 1x4 and just, soace them one plank apart.
>>
>>1064223
plz respond - I don't want to have to make ANOTHER RasPi thread...
>>
>>1063198
You'll need an LED, for 10W it'll usually be made up of 9 chips, you want one that uses three in series, three in parallel.

Then you'll need some kind of driver circuit to feed the LED a constant current, you can just use a big ass resistor, or the smart version of a resistor, a linear regulator, but that's pretty inefficient, a better approach would be a buck converter. You can get modules to do it for cheap off ebay like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-High-Power-10W-900mA-Constant-Current-LED-Light-Chip-Driver-Fit-Supply-/172347829900?hash=item2820bb2e8c:g:2H0AAOSwPCVX4Bjc, just don't expect it to last very long.

Then you'll need a battery. The driver chip I linked is intended for 9-24V in, so three Lithium Ions in series would be appropriate. Get protected ones, that way there's significantly less risk of blowing shit up of you connect them wrong.
>>
>>1064223
Safe, should be.

Run time varies by what you're doing, what RPi you're using and how much the power bank manufacturer is lying. Could be anywhere from 2 to 50 hours.
>>
>>1064471
I was hoping to avoid doing. But if that's what i gotta do. Also will tearing these shrubs fuck up the soil?
>>
File: foil balloon.jpg (4KB, 224x224px) Image search: [Google]
foil balloon.jpg
4KB, 224x224px
Hi /diy/ I want foil helium balloon with personalized text for a joke gift.

The thing is, the companies and websites only sell them by the hundreds, and I just need one.

So, I will just somehow print on a blank one but I have no idea of what's the best ink or printing method.

Any ideas?
>>
>>1064546
To print on a pre made foil balloon your best bet would be to get it screen printed as it's just not gonna run through any printing presses (source : I'm a press operator)
>>
>>1064554
So take it to a place that prints custom tshirts
>>
>>1064546
maybe if youre really good you can get it to feed through an inkjet without fucking it all up. or maybe not.
>>
>>1064546
Stickers
>>
File: IMG_0185.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0185.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
Hi guys, i recently purchased this old heater from a french junk shop. most of it can be cleaned up but the grey case i want to repaint.

how could i best prepare the surface for this? should i strip all the old paint? and how so?
>>
>>1064465
oops, counterclockwise.

unless they decided to use left hand threads for some reason
>>
>>1064720
You should have left it there in the hope some saw it who knows what they're doing. You're going to make a pigs ear of it.
>>
File: brass wheel.jpg (76KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
brass wheel.jpg
76KB, 1000x1000px
>>1064720

paint is a bad idea, coz you gotta use expensive high-temp flameproof paint. and it wont stick to chrome very well. i'd suggest you take a brass wheel and polish off all the rust. should look acceptable. if that still costs too much, you can get a dollar-store BBQ grill cleaner, and scrub away.
>>
>>1064773
>Paint

>>1064759

It's powder coated. Not the same as painted. To remove powered coating you would have it shot blasted or sand blasted.

You can of course do it with nitromors but it'll take a long time and look like shit when you've finished.

>Brass
>Rust
I swear this board is just the blind leading the blind.
>>
File: url.jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
9KB, 225x225px
Does anyone know where you can buy cheap plastic bones? I want to do something spooky for halloween but stuff like skulls and skeletons are way more expensive than I thought. I live in LA if that helps with anything
>>
>>1064759

well ill be sure to post results once finished, but thanks for the insightful advice

>>1064773

its a fanned convector, the metal outer shell will not get that hot, only the front, and even so high temp paints are not crazy expensive.

>>1064787

honestly thought it looked more like paint, the creme front is powder coat for sure, and seems to be in much better condition.

do i even need to remove it? all i want is a smooth finish i can prime and spray. if its not going to work out ill happily just clean it up and leave it a with a somewhat worn look.
>>
>>1064799
I ran in to the same problem last easter and posted about it here. I ended up making my own skelly sections by using copper wire to make a rib cage form, then coating the wire with bread dough and baking it. I made the ribs, arms, and pelvis pretty easily, and they came out looking ok. I'll see if I can find the old thread in the archives.
>>
can I focus the light put out by one of these guys to make a sort of heat lamp laser? or is the heat put out by them just generated due to energy inefficiencies of the bulb
>>
>>1064802

All I'd do is clean it up, touch up where required and as for the steel outer, I'd take it off, give it a light grit sand to remove the corrosion then buff and polish it.

It'll look far nicer leaving the original look as is.
>>
>>1064810
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>1064810
things are colours because the absorb or reflect different wavelengths. something that looks green will reflect green light. or something like that.
infra red is light that you can't see. so are microwaves but ignore that for now.
skin absorbs ir pretty good, thats sort of why you get warm out in the sun.
incandescent (old lightbulbs with a filament, not fluorescent (or cfl) or led) are black body iradiators (i think thats the right term) meaning as the actual temperature of the filament heats up the range of frequencies emitted as light changes, thats where you get colour temperature from, things going from yellow to blue measured in kelvin, something at that temperature would emit light that colour.

ANYWAY

with a red filter the light will be more readily absorbed by the skin, light that isn't red will be bounced around inside the lightbulb until it is turned into heat i guess so the bulb will get hotter but you won't necessarily because there is less light hitting you

BUT

if the filament is longer the resistance is higher, the current is lower and therefore so is the temperature and so it will emit a fuckton of IR instead of wasting energy on visible light.
this might or might not happen in your lightbulb you will have to check.

pro-tip:heatlamps used for reptiles are not red they are 'white' (a mix of colours)
>>
>>1064799
https://www.amazon.com/NUOLUX-27pcs-Skeleton-Halloween-Plastic/dp/B01IVS8068/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1475536121&sr=8-5&keywords=plastic+bone+props
>>
>>1064828
I want to project heat via light. I shine my laser light on you and you feel heat.

>>1064852
using clear bulbs is fine, color doesn't matter. I essentially want to be able to project a 2ft by 2ft "sun beam" for my kitty, a square of warm light she can lay in during the winter. I know the bulb will be super bright but the idea is to put it high up so it's similar to the actual sun, not something at a level that you're going to be staring at often. My question is whether I can focus one of these bulbs behind a shroud (eg. car headlights), add a square focusing lens, and project a square beam of hot light 10 ft or so, so that the 2ftx2ft area will receive as much of the heat energy possible
>>
>>1064947

Just use a heat lamp. It does exactly what you want it to do without being obnoxiously bright.

You can technically focus them, as infrared IS a form of light, but you'd need infrared lensing to do it. Technically, some forms of glass and acrylic work for infrared, but only some wavelengths. No idea what sort of spectrum any random heat lamp puts out.
>>
So I've read a few different things lately. I'm really trying to root my Moto Z Force asap, but I've read that it can't be done. However
>This
http://www.theandroidsoul.com/unlock-bootloader-of-moto-z-and-moto-z-force-guide/

I haven't tried it yet because I don't know if it will brick my phone if I try and it fails.

I have the god damn Verizon version. I got it a few days after it came out without reading anything about it. Typically I root my phone's but from what I've read, the Verizon models come with locked bootloaders.

So i I'm just wondering if anyone thinks this will brick my phone. Or just flat out won't work. Should I give it a go and pray for the best or should I wait until I find someone smarter/dumber than I am to confirm root?
>>
Alright guys, I don't know if this will be stupid or not but I need some recommendations on what the best cleaners are expense-wise. I generally use sodium hypochlorite but I'm worried that isn't killing enough bacteria.

I'm a Med Lab Tech and it worries me that I'm going to carry in a strain of something terrible and not be able to kill it with just what I have. Most of the common chemicals list S. aureus, Pseudomonas, and a few others but I'm not entirely convinced this is enough. I also use 50% bleach solution on my entryway and through the hallway where I enter the house to keep pathogens clear of anything else.

Needless to say, I'm fairly paranoid about any pathogens surviving what I do and getting my family sick.
>>
File: a1de98-38927321_1_640.jpg (14KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
a1de98-38927321_1_640.jpg
14KB, 480x480px
My LCD TV recently died -- probably. It's an old 42LC7D model from LG.

I just think that it's the lights/capcitors or whatever that's inside of the TV managed to finally go out, since there's a bit of a flicker and dim image before it of goes to all black. I suspect that the sound isn't working now either, but I haven't tested it out too much to know. Otherwise, it's powering up just fine.

If I try to open it up myself with no actual knowledge of TVs nor electronics, how likely am I to mess it up? Should I just pay someone to fix it if I'm this clueless?
>>
I am looking to tear down and rebuild a shed in my backyard, i have never really undertaken a project of this size but i am pretty confident in my woodworking skills so i am not super worried about pulling it off, framing wise. However, i WAS wondering if it would be wise to get lumber that is a couple feet longer than the height of the shed in order to sink it into some concrete for some stability?
>>
>>1065024
Do you have a soldering iron? If you do, and a moderate level of common sense/logic, watch some youtube videos of people fixing TVs and you should be okay.
>>
>>1065040
Thanks for the reply, I do own a soldering iron that I picked up a while ago. It's from a children's soldering kit or something though, would that be enough?

That sounds like a good idea though, hopefully I don't totally mess it up, haha.
>>
>>1065051
It should be fine.

But first just open it up carefully without fucking up the display and take a look at the board. Blown capacitors are very obvious and will very likely fix the TV. Then you look at the ratings on the caps and buy replacements and if you're comfortable, desolder the old ones and stick the new ones in. Take care to discharge them properly.
>>
File: B1109390900.jpg (23KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
B1109390900.jpg
23KB, 360x360px
I have a small trimmer engine. What should i do with it since i have loads of spare 2 stroke fuel to waste? Before suggesting that i should mount it on a bike tell me how to make diy style clutch. And yes the original centrifugal clutch is long gone.
>>
>>1064968
>>
>>1065038
Please respond
>>
I have a washing machine washes clothes a few minutes, stops the program, complains about not getting enough water and once you push the Start- button it continues normally for a while and does it again.

I have some experience with electricity but i haven't touched washing machines before and would like some advice. Once you hit the button again it drains the water and starts taking new in. Could it be a problem with the pump that drains the water and then prevents any new coming in as an overfill safety measure?
>>
>>1065136
>diy style clutch
Idler pulley on a pivot
>>
] if I have a 110 to 12v converter, can I cut the male 110 plug off splice onna female end and convert 12v to 110?
>>
>>1065136
Might be able to rig something up with brake pads cut into circles for the clutch, some tempered spring steel for the pressure plate and rig up the throwout bearing and fork and shit
>>
>>1065338
No.
>>
>>1065338
Yes absolutely
>>
>>1065342
>>1065343
Who can confirm?
>>
>1065351
No. It's an ac to dc converter.
If it were a simple ac to ac transformer, the answer would be yes, but it's not.
>>
>>1065351
Definitely not
>>
File: Garbage.gif (23KB, 460x340px) Image search: [Google]
Garbage.gif
23KB, 460x340px
why the FUCK does anyone use phillips screws anymore? They're obviously far more difficult to use than robby. I just don't get why they're as common as they are.
Don't even get me started on why a self drilling phillips screw was ever imagined.
>>
>>1065038
If you live in the US you're going to need a permit to make a shed. It will have to be up to code and the code probably states you're going to need concrete footers. Just throwing some longer lumber and working off of them isn't the proper way to do it. If you decide to not get a permit they can come with bulldozers and destroy it.

If you live outside the US, depending on the weather it would probably work ok but you'd have to dig it fairly deep.
>>
File: doorbell.jpg (36KB, 325x325px) Image search: [Google]
doorbell.jpg
36KB, 325x325px
>>1065396

definitely YES, if you have a just a straight transformer, AC to AC, with no rectifiers, and definitely no switching power supply components. a simple transformer, like in the pic, can be used to step up or down equally well.
>>
>>1064995
I don't have an answer but what about your vehicle? Or do you ride public transportation and spread diseases to unsuspecting poor people?
>>
>>1065400
>This shit again

Does it really matter? No. No it doesn't.
>>
>>1065412

to the autistic mind, this stuff is more important than life.
>>
>>1065409
I have seat covers that are washed every few days, thankfully. Didn't think of that until about a year after worrying about my house's decontamination. Steering and such are easily cleaned.
>>
>>1065402
>If you live in the US you're going to need a permit to make a shed.

If you live in the US in an area that requires permits, you're going to need a permit to make a shed.
FTFY

There's more to the US than the controlled area where you live.
>>
File: 2016-10-04 16.53.39.jpg (4MB, 5376x3024px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-04 16.53.39.jpg
4MB, 5376x3024px
what the fuck is this tool and what does it do? there are no markings or stampings to help identify it. it basically acts exactly the same as a caulking gun. 4 pics incoming:
>>
>>1065404
>110v to 12v
>110v ac to 12v ac
i can promise you its not this
>>
File: 2016-10-04 16.53.59.jpg (3MB, 5376x3024px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-04 16.53.59.jpg
3MB, 5376x3024px
>>1065522
>>
File: 2016-10-04 16.54.08.jpg (3MB, 3024x5376px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-04 16.54.08.jpg
3MB, 3024x5376px
>>1065525
>>
File: 2016-10-04 16.54.23.jpg (3MB, 3024x5376px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-04 16.54.23.jpg
3MB, 3024x5376px
>>1065526
>>
>>1065474
No there isn't. You need a permit everywhere. The only thing that changes is the square footage required before you need one.
>>
>>1065533
Come to Alaska. You don't need a permit for jack shit. You can build a house with paper mache then wire it with 26 gauge wire and add a fireplace built with plastic bottles and insulate the whole thing with asbestos and literally no one, government or not, would say a word.
>>
I have here this fan. When I plug it on the socket, it can spin its blades, but short time after, it cannot anymore. So, the engine itself probably isn't completely lost.

Is it worth to fix?
>>
>>1065418
Wrong, to the autistic mind, this stuff IS life.
>>
how do i electroplate brass? any metal is ok
i wanna try and plate a brass ring then draw something on it with an itch resist and the rest is self explanatory
>>
>>1065598
more pics anon
>>
>>1065591
>2016
>he thinks Alaska is a real state
Go back into your igloo snownigger
>>
>>1065811
Of what exactly?
>>
Is there any way to increase electrical load in a house without more items drawing more load? Like dunno, with resistors in power outlets?

Don't ask why, I just need it.
>>
When making an outside project like stairs should I get treated wood or untreated and use a deck stain? I'm new to this and am making stairs for a friend.
>>
>>1066071
Do you want to punish your parents on their electrical billing?
>>
Could somebody please redpill me on sanding wood (logs) with anglegrinder?
>>
I'm designing my own PCBs and plan to buy some basic enclosures for them. How do I drill holes with specific diameters into them for buttons, knobs etc? What stuff do I need to buy?
>>
>>1066158
No, im actually trying to help, see in my country people tend to tweak electrical meters, ours has been reading the minimum for a months and it's going to raise suspicions. The fine for doing this is close to 100k usd and my dumb dad cant find the guy who tweaked it first to revert it.

It does work but only when the load is very high, a 1000w microwave, washer, many tvs and lots of incandescent bulbs all at the same time.
>>
>>1066202
>>1066158
Or if you can help me with reverting it to it's original condition that'd be great too. I have no idea how they work but it can't be that complicated, maybe risky though.
>>
>>1066202
It costs US$100 to not fix the electrical meter, but how does it costs to fix?

Also, the guy who changed the meter couldn't be found maybe because it's jailed already. Why do you think the company is suspicious? Also, if you increase your consumption too much it will be suspicious. If your consumption doesn't matches your time pattern of consumption, it will also be suspicious, wouldn't?

If you do the resistor thing, please, don't just insert it on the power outlet. You need to be aware that it produces HEAT. So you don't want to melt your power outlet, and want to be able to interrupt the circuit easily without burning your hands. A fuse could be good, to prevent some kind of shit on the resistor. Maybe an incandescent light bulb could be attached, so if something is not working properly it turns on and work as an alert. Just some ideas.
>>
>>1066205
I think it sitting on the minimum reading for so long is reason enough to warrant suspicions from them. I have not checked whether it starts working properly past a certain load threshold or if it only records a percentage of the load. Our normal usage is very low, a pair of fluorescent bulbs, fridge, a tv and two laptops. Almost nothing but the cheapfuck went with it anyway.

>If you do the resistor thing, please, don't just insert it on the power outlet.
Isn't this in principle the same as any electric stove? What's wrong with just plugging it in the outlet and what formulas and stuff do I need to know to prevent a short and potential fire hazard? What kind of resistors should I look for? Im aware it produces heat so I'd beware of any flammable objects around it and distributing them on the many outlets around the house, with a switch to cut power when needed, would use a fuse too just to be sure.
>>
>>1066210
>>1066205
Eh, read a bit more and it seems its easy to tweak them with magnets, its an old meter so hopefully nobody will notice if I open it again.
>>
>>1066211
>its an old meter
Could you please post a photo of it?

>hopefully nobody will notice if I open it again
Wrong, if you open, you already noticed. 1 person > 0 person. You already failed.

Is there a way to turn your electricity off before the meter? So you can change it without the risk of dying?
>>
File: Inside of an Induction Cooktop.jpg (161KB, 1200x1090px) Image search: [Google]
Inside of an Induction Cooktop.jpg
161KB, 1200x1090px
>>1066210
>Isn't this in principle the same as any electric stove?
Have you already checked the inside of one of these? Pic related. Also, even if it was simpler, it's still not heat directly at the power outlet. The outlet is made of plastic, it cannot receive heat. So there is a long cable. But it's not enough if some kind of short-circuit happens, security measures are needed before shit happens.
>>
I have here this tower fan whose spinning cylinder does not spins anymore. Is it worth to fix?
>>
>>1066219
yes
>>
>>1066230
Thanks for replying. Can you please answer this one here too? >>1065598
>>
>>1065598
Yes.
>>
>>1066219
>>1065598
if you dont enjoy fixing things u shouldnt be here
>>
>>1066441
Who said I don't enjoy?
>>
>>1066520
If you enjoyed it, you'd just fix them and stop with the retarded 'should i fix this?'
>>
File: Faxfilters.jpg (3MB, 4288x3216px) Image search: [Google]
Faxfilters.jpg
3MB, 4288x3216px
I have these faxfilters that were used from 2004 to 2008 when I had dial up connection on my home. I don't know why these were bought in the first place, as there are no faxes machines on my home. They are not working as ADSL filters. Should I fix/change them so it can work as an ADSL filter? Is it worth?
>>
>>1066532
I think you are wrong. Some things will never be good if fixed, because they are shit to begin with. So I need to ask, thus preventing the loss of time and the frustration.
>>
>>1066536
Try fixing it instead of asking around. You see, nobody knows for sure what's wrong with it before opening it so just go for it...
>>
>>1066537
Open all things I have not throwed away?
>>
>>1066535
absolutely - do that
>>
File: IMG_0703.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0703.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I made an Electroluch, and it sounds like battery salad. For those who don't know, it picks up audio-frequency EM waves, amplifies it, and outputs it into headphones.

What I want to know, is if you make a transmitter that does the opposite, would the stereo audio channels interfere badly? Is this effect more or less distinct at higher frequencies?
>>
>>1066545
Also thanks a lot for the /diy/ anon who suggested using single-core copper for breadboarding
>>
>>1066548
The fuck were you doing before? Trying to use stranded wire?
>>
>>1066609
Dedicated leads with pins on the ends, in pretty sure they are more common than single core wire, at least for the cheap stuff
>>
What does a screwdriver being ESD safe mean, and how are they physically different from normal screwdrivers? Would using an ESD safe one on other stuff cause issues like it does with using stainless drivers on non-stainless stuff? I'm slowly upgrading my tools from worn Craftsman and shitty cheese grade Chinesium to respectable tools, and I'm eyeing a few Wera screwdrivers, some of which would see use for electronics projects. I'm not sure if I should spend the extra on the ESD versions, or if I should just get the regular ones. Do ESD ones need special bits, or is it all in the handle?
>>
File: 40648.jpg (10KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
40648.jpg
10KB, 500x500px
I'm looking for this stuff but I don't know what to search.

Specifically where the cap piece is clear plastic, for leds.
>>
File: 1314680572409.png (65KB, 189x186px) Image search: [Google]
1314680572409.png
65KB, 189x186px
Hey, /diy/.

I have many fond memories of my youth and dicking around in my grandfather's workshop. He essentially built his house out of that workshop. It was huge, with all sorts of tools in it, and it was there that I began to take an interest in making things.

But now I'm older. I live in a place where it's hard to just keep a rented apartment to live in, to say nothing of actually owning a home, or owning the sort of size of home which can accommodate a workshop. Only the fantastically wealthy can afford such luxuries where I live.

So I was thinking: Rentable storage units are pretty cheap. They're little more than concrete cubes, so there's no worry over accidentally setting shit on fire or ruining the floor. Could one conceivably set up a workshop in one? Would it be a bad idea?
>>
>>1066835
"plastic cable run/raceway/conduit/panduit" might be some good starting places
>>
File: Tabletop fan opened.jpg (3MB, 4288x3216px) Image search: [Google]
Tabletop fan opened.jpg
3MB, 4288x3216px
>>1066541
>>1065598
OK, I opened the tabletop fan. I asked someone stronger than me to remove the top 2 screws, but the bottom 2 screws are impossible to remove! What to do?

Anyways, I confirmed the problem is the motor being stuck.
>>
>>1066821

ESD stands for electrostatic discharge. That means It's not going to transmit static electricity from your body into the electronics you're working with to protect them from damage. I can't see why it would ruin them if you use them on other things, however I also don't see the point in doing that. Just buy a big selection of shitty cheap screwdrivers for your other projects and buy a smaller selection of fancy expensive ESD safe ones only in the sizes you'll be needing for electronics. And I believe the difference is just a rubber mounted handle, not the shank of the driver. I don't know how you would make a metal bit that doesn't transmit current.
>>
Anyone know about making lights using metal and salt water?

I need to build one and understand possible ways to construct it out of various materials, I understand the theory pretty well, but I need resources on practical implementation
>>
>>1067007

WTF, dude, dont remove those screws. you can drop oil into the bearings (front and back ones) from the outside, and also from the inside of you use something like a toothpick to dribble it in. no need to disassemble the motor.

also, drop some oil into that side assembly which is used for oscillating.
>>
>>1067374
What the fuck? The fuck is that I understood wrongly what >>1066541 said. I understood that he said to open all things I had with me, but he was replying to another message I posted. So I tought I needed to open the fans.

Also, I was told on >>1065621 to use grease intead of oil, as oil would last only 1 year, while grease can last more years.
>>
>>1067376

huh!? well you do have to open up the casing to get at the motor's bearings, but you dont need to take apart the motor, as you're trying to do.

and yes, grease is better, but most people dont have it around.
>>
>>1067378
I have Texaco grease, but it expired on 2007. I think I can use anyways. I can post a photo of it when the sun rise.

To put grease, don't I need to open the motor?
>>
>>1067379

no, it wont help taking the motor apart, the grease should slide in between the shaft and the bearing as you turn it by hand. pack some around, so it keeps lubricating over several years.
>>
>>1067119
Righto, that's what I was thinking, but they didn't seem overly different from the others, so I wasn't sure if there was more too it than that. I would have thought that the normal plastic/rubber/whatever handles were non-conductive enough so as to not be an issue, but I didn't realize. I'll probably just spend the extra $10 on the ESD version of the ratcheting screwdriver.
>>
I'm going to start a building apprenticeship in a few weeks. What can I expect? Live in New Zealand if that helps.
>>
File: 1097442.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1097442.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I took apart a broken space heater to see how it works. This component has a rotating axis connected to a dial which I think was used to control the temperature of the heating coils. Any idea what it is? It makes a clicking sound when rotated about half the way from min to max.
>>
>>1067516

is there a history of mental retardation in your family?
>>
>>1067521
I know literally nothing about electronics.
>>
NEW THREAD:
>>1067532
>>1067532
>>1067532
>>1067532
>>1067532
>>
I need to move a in-the-box futon. I do not have a car, or a credit card so I cannot order online and I cannot get a Uhal. Does anyone have any ingenious ideas for me? I dont have a single friend that has a pick up truck so that isnt an option either.
>>
>>1067771

i once did something similar by taking it apart and carrying it on the bus over several trips. luckily i had an uncle nearby where i could store the extra pieces, but the store would have accommodated me if i'd asked.
Thread posts: 333
Thread images: 82

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.