[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Modding cars for a profit. I know this is a fairly niche idea

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 12

File: Screenshot_20160927-135946.jpg (560KB, 1430x739px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160927-135946.jpg
560KB, 1430x739px
Modding cars for a profit. I know this is a fairly niche idea but its also kind of what I'm counting on. I have somewhat of a fetish for the crown vics. I don't know why exactly. Vut it is my favorite and then some. I'll have some cash to play with soon but i am trying to find ways to fund my hobby if i can. Time is a non issue as i have slow days at work and several hour breaks sometimes. I have been studying the swaps and im not exactly sure wich way i will go, but i want to put the 4.6 liter v8 from a crown vic and the automatic tranny into Ford Rangers and Mazda pickups. I know these are year sepecific and will figure out the details latter. I have buddy's that paint really well and a world vlass proffessional pinstripe artist is a childhood friend. Assuming i can so the conversion "right" and do it consistantly whike producing an aesthetivally pleasing vehilce would anyone buy this?

Depending on the years. The picups came, some with a 4 cylinder at 98hp. I had one. They solid but gutless af. The vrown vics have 215 or so to 250. So, doing this swap would make for a 250% power increase.

There are several people who have done this and im not affraid to try it myself.

I can get a truck body with a clear title for $500, and a sound running surplus crown vic for $1,000 all day long. Better if i shop around some. Hauking it isnt a problem and neither are tools, or a lift.

Assuming misc parts and paint cost another $1,500. That would put the build at $3,000 for a freshened up and newly painted ranger with 250hp ideally. Would anyone pay 3k? Or maybe more?

Pic somewhat related. Maybe not quite that quality but close. Source good looking wheels and tires off craigslist. Amazon hid headlights and try to make it look as good as i can on a budget.
>>
There is money in buying crashed auction cars, fixing and flipping. But with your idea intensive mods and motor swapping your dollar earned per hour will probably be below minimum wage. Some of those projects can consume 100 hours if it involves chasing wiring harness on top of motor swapping.
>>
File: 4009643559_b47737f930.jpg (57KB, 390x250px) Image search: [Google]
4009643559_b47737f930.jpg
57KB, 390x250px
>>1061449
I see. Good lord the spelling. I fumbled it and sent before proofing and spellcheck is mia. I've considered getting a dealers liscense and looked into the laws a little. My cousin used to go to dealer only auctions with a dually and i would go in case he bought to many cars to drive home. Working on stuff at work is somewhat of a bitch because i have infrequent stopping points and no shop. But the weather should be nice soon and if i need i can drag stuff to my dads and work inside. Most of the fab work seems to be on the heater core box, radiator, and there is some wiring to do but apparently ford color codes quite well. I am nervous about it but i am oretty good with wiring. Assuming i can get the pinouts right i will color code as factory as possible and make notes of soecial changes for myself and future owners. Headers do seem to be a bit of a bitch but i'm not affraid. For the first swap being a lerning exoerience and new toy im going to tag it and have some fun. Will also get a feel for it and be able to deal with any big problems.

Sad if i make less then minimum wage, but if i do most of it at work, then work is paying an hourly wage and i'm not watching tv so it's win win. I started lifting today again and i didnt last nearly as long as i thought i would. I cant seem to find any other profitable hobby that i enjoy. And im hoping if i dont hate this by the 3rd or 4th swap it should be pretty much 2nd nature. I'm buying a 4x4 ford pickup and a lift kit next year to make a 4x4 vic as a daily driver. That will probably take some work and profanity, but with that and the unlimited bodies i would have any profit or breaking even is fine. If it starts going the other way i guess ill figure out something else. It just seems like the time to buy before they are all crushed and gone.
>pic not really related
>>
>>1061449
We do lots of custom cars in our shop. Street Rods, muscle cars , race cars ect.
To reiterate what the other guy said as a rule of thumb, the longer a car stays in the shop, the less money you make.
Putting in a set of headers, exhaust, maybe a carb and manifold. Great bang it out and take the cash.
Tubbing a rear or putting a mustang II front end on a street rod. Way more time involved and if you really charged the shop hourly rate people would be calling you a crook all over town.
Anything requiring custom fabrication takes all kinds of time and customer's don't realy get that. They'll pay big $ for some name brand part, and think you're going to spend 3 days machining any welding for $200.
Another tip, people who set up in a town with money in it always do better than some guy in east bumfuck cowtown.
>>
>>1061731
Thanks for the advise. If i do it all at work im already getting paid. StYing active this way. I may. Just start hotrodding them and trading. It seems to me that i could do the wiring in a few days. Might need help with the header clusterfuck, but everything else seems okay. Im gonna try one and see how it goes i think.
>>
>>1061731
Hell, for the first one i might just rat rod it from a couple clunkers to try it out.
>>
>Modding cars for a profit

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
>>
File: images (53).jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images (53).jpg
8KB, 225x225px
>>1062110
Yeah... it's hilarious. Because there is a guy in my town with a shop that has done nothing for 25 years besides do wxactly this and drink beer. He is retired now and only dows it for himself. I'll get some pics tonight is u stop being a faggot... and i aint looking to get rich. Just pay for my hobby.
>>
File: dfg.jpg (23KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
dfg.jpg
23KB, 604x453px
The best is to learn upholstery

guys put engines together but dont know how put seat covers on

I made pretty good money doing it
>>
File: 1474561052910.png (2MB, 1268x1695px) Image search: [Google]
1474561052910.png
2MB, 1268x1695px
>>1062114
ORLY? i've watched a lot of hours of it on youtube. I have a place indoors at work i could use in the winter. I almost bought a machine but some of my freinds said sewing was gay. 2 years later i meet some uphilstry guys at a carshow and they laughed. Said well, if not getting covered in grease all day, working on hotrods all day, making a good honest living in doors is gay. Then i guess be the biggest faggot you can. Apparently nothing it's great for trading and can be a cash business to. I'm intregued. Let alone it could supliment my hobby.

Any tips for beginners besides hours of youtube?

What machine you recomend for a beginner? I dont need to jumo at leather yet, but i know severarl layers of vynyl will be sewn. And that bottom foot or walking foot feature is a must. But other than that i am a noob.

There is actualy no shop in 50 square miles. Considering if i tell oeople to suck a dick its done when its done, my time is free.

I'm not even sure how to charge people tho?

Really any advise u got i am all ears. Possibly can soend up to 3 grand to start if i dont get a divorce!
>>
Unless you are talking a about resto-mod you will loose money on this, Modding cars for proffit is a money pit that never pays out unless you are a shop with a good reputation.
>>
>>1062139
Fair enough. I may takle it again at some point. I do need a crown vic body tho. So i may as well build 1 v8 ranger. Even if its at a loss it could be fun. Pretty interested in upholstry. Ive never seen anyone go under doing it and they charge a lot. Probably time consuming as fuck is why. That may be a good thing for me.
>>
File: IMG_1884.jpg (547KB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1884.jpg
547KB, 2448x2448px
>>1062136

Practice.

Juki or Consew

I went to a trade school to learn it and now I do it in my spare time. I've done boats, furniture, cars, hot rods. You can get a side business going for 2,000.

Chair I just did
>>
>>1062181

Looks good, but is it really secured with those cheap ass looking drywall screws? jesus..
>>
>>1062181
Fuckin nice anon. How long was trade school? Doubt ill have time with work unless its offered at night. I know a couple retured guys that did it and may be willing to teach me a thing or 2. Guess ill start with about 2 and keep 1 grand for misc. I know practice makes perfect. And im not affraid to work hard at it. Its always nice to learn from a pro ball player though than get bad habbits and work twice as hard to join the nfl tho so... guess ill get to work. That chair is fucking nice. The materiaks may be worth it just so i can have nice shit...
>>
File: Screenshot_20160928-135133.jpg (412KB, 1440x1759px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160928-135133.jpg
412KB, 1440x1759px
>>1062181
This little fella work for noob scale learning? Has walking foot? Says it does vinyl. I dont mind starting on buckets or smaller boat seats and shit if it means i save $500 of my /sillcoin teir investment fund.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003AJZZAS/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1475088021&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=consew+walking+foot+sewing+machine&dpPl=1&dpID=51FkvsI51oL&ref=plSrch
>>
File: con1_205rb-1.jpg (60KB, 343x243px) Image search: [Google]
con1_205rb-1.jpg
60KB, 343x243px
>>1062185

yea, it's a knock off Eames lounge

>>1062236

3 months at Wyo tech lol

>>1062248
maybe this is mine
>>
File: IMG_2282.jpg (30KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2282.jpg
30KB, 604x453px
more of my work
>>
File: IMG_2287.jpg (35KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2287.jpg
35KB, 604x453px
>>1062275
>>
File: IMG_2284.jpg (24KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2284.jpg
24KB, 604x453px
>>1062277
>>
File: IMG_2283.jpg (24KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2283.jpg
24KB, 604x453px
>>1062278

These door panel were pretty awesome
>>
>>1062272
Indeed they are. That's a nice ass truck bro. Thanks for the help. I'll be picking up this machine and starting pretty soon then i guess. Soent 3200 bucks putting a new motor in my blazer and now i dont drive it. Has like 600 miles on it. Surely i can get 2500 or 3k out of it. Got over 6 in my faggot yard ornament that is my harley. Trying to hawk it for three. $500 for a machine though i'll fond a way to pull it out of my ass if i need to...
>>
Want profit? Run a used car lot. Less labor and much more money. Learn how things really work, like not "financing" (legal and financial can of recordkeeping worms) but "taking payments" on the original price agreed. Obviously price reflects included "interest" i.e. profit on the time payment.

Fuck romance, copy what makes money then play with better toys because you can afford it.

I suggest working at a lot that does many of their own vehicle repairs from auctioned organ donors, etc.
>>
>>1061446
yeah umm im a car guy if you havent seen fast n loud: you need to. sure has a bigger budget but still has the same time crunch to build these cars. the biggest headache with your idea is wiring to make them run customers dont want to see the hatchet job youve done to get this car to work. another thing: the 4.6 was a absolute dog of a v8. you have to tip in boatloads of cash to make it perform like a 5.0 or better. lets say youve finished this truck and sold it wheres the next project comming from? a true car guy is always looking for his next project
>>
>>1062114
Nah, guys put engines together then take out the interior for weight savings. At least that's what I do to all my projects.
>>
>>1062114
This. You can start with an old Singer... I did a bedroom chaise using a $99 Brother from Walmart. Still my go to machine for basics.

And I love that guys think sewing is for fags and women. Keeps them off my turf.
>>
>>1062509
>And I love that guys think sewing is for fags and women. Keeps them off my turf.

Ive never understood this either. Not that I give a fuck. Im a thrift shopper garage saler.

I lived through the vintage stereo age, bought a ton of great stuff before people got nuts about it. I lived through the cheap vintage video game age, bought a truckload of stuff for cheap before collecting was cool. I made a lot of profit ebaying it all.
Now im not sad at all that I can pick up all metal internal sewing machines for 5-10 bucks a piece. Nobody gives a fuck about them right now so there is an abundance for sale.
>>
>>1061446
>Pic somewhat related

I'd stay away from any vehicle which has been lowered or stanced. That goes on the title. And even if you manage to repair the damage, nobody will touch the car. Might as well take it to the crusher.
>>
I understand liking Crown Vics, but the the engine in another vehicle is not a selling point. Now, if it was an LS/5.0 HO swapped into a Vic I would be rock hard. But the engine from a Crown isn't something I would desire outside of a stock Crown Vic. And no, you probably won't make any money, custom engine swaps are generally a labor of love, or lots of money. Most of the time both.
>>
>>1062509
>And I love that guys think sewing is for fags and women. Keeps them off my turf.

Upholstery and leatherwork is not really sewing though, is it.
If anything, people think its for Mexicans. (And they'd be right.)

On the otherhand, try making a dress and tell me its not for fags or women. Even suit tailoring is kind of faggy.
>>
>>1062432
oh i am. 100% getting a dealers license. Got a cdl already and truck access on per hour basis. work part time for the company to evade any insurance problems :) got a lot going on tho and honestly fucking hate mechanic work. only descent mechanics around here like my dad hate it too or are high dollar. still may be worth it. i may start small. one dude near tulsa ok has always intrigued me. for over 20 years i on occasion drive by a pasture with 5-20 cars that are all the same. jeeps for a few years, then corvettes, then dodge lifted diesel etc... last 4 years has been cucksheds and trailers. lol. i'm kinda into the crown vics atm and may follow suite. i find them all day fucked up a little but running for 1k or under. my buddy is a professional painter and pinstriper by trade so if i got wheels and tires from some fuck on cl that look good and have him fix bodys there is a lot of markup potential. but i don't want the hours and time that comes with living so far away from auctions and my buddy yet. if and when i get financially free and have 10 or 20 k to throw around and take a chance that's pretty high on the list. you're not wrong. i have been studying and trying to emulate exactly what rich people do. getting rich isn't a gamble or a meme it's a process. sadly the safer route is farm less exciting than wolf of wall street. lol.
>>
>>1062437
i need to get tv. i see your point but i'm at least half a car guy i would say.

1979 sportster
2003 acura mdx
2000 4x4 blazer
2002 crown vic
1985 bored big block square body chevy

and id have a dickton more but i live in town and have to keep tag and insureance and find parking for all these fuckers.

i might build one for fun or find a 5.0 and build it for me. not to make money on i guess.

thanks anon.

my next car tho is my dream car. ford f250 4x4 drive train with a crown vic body.

gonna be a lot of fucking work. lol
>>
>>1062509
we will see i guess. lol. ty
>>
>>1063990
i will. still breaks my heart seeing my buddy's show winning truck parted out at the local scrap yard...
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.