[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

raw wood drying advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: raw wood-.jpg (277KB, 800x691px) Image search: [Google]
raw wood-.jpg
277KB, 800x691px
had a tree (sugar maple) cut down couple weeks ago. grabbed a slice of wood I thought I would make into a half round shelf or end table at some future date (no free tie to do it right now). question is do I need to put some sort of sealer on it to keep it from drying out too fast (and cracking)? should I store it in the garage where it will be exposed to some late summer humidity but not directly to rain or any other weather. or should I put it in he basement which has a de-humidifier running all the time so it is nice and dry and cool down there. it looks like its already started to warp a bit.
>>
It's probably too late. Because it's already cut, it's going to dry fast, and that means it will crack.

Possible fix, glue both faces down with elmers/yellow wood glue to a piece of plywood or something. wait 3-6 months, then use a heat gun/water/clothes iron on steam setting to soften the glue and get your slice back.
>>
>>1060461
commonly you need to seal the ends with wax or 2-6 layers of latex paint.
>>
Even with slow drying a ring like that will really want to crack. Waxing heavily wont hurt. People also treat green wood with polyethelene glycol, it replaces some of the water, so even when it is fully dry, it doesnt shrink as much.good luck
>>
Similar question: how about drying a 10' log? I just cut down a bunch of maple trees here and was thinking about keeping it for side projects instead of burning it down.

I have no idea how to let it dry right though. And for how long.
>>
>>1060461
I assume you're talking about pic related? How thick is it? Like inch or two or it's couple feet long half of log?
Leave it in the garage for 2-3 years. Also there's not really any way to avoid warping. You can try putting some weight to keep it straight or try steam bending after it's dry, but easiest way is to just plane it.

>>1061111
>>1060539
From my experience, you don't really dry a full log, you cut it into planks or so after cutting down tree. Lumbermills paint faces of the logs, when there's too many and some need to wait couple of weeks to be sawn.
Although I'm not an expert and also wouuld like to know if someone has any information on drying logs.
>>
>>1061177
OP here, yes the pic is the actual half slice I recovered from the guys who cut the tree down. its as labeled; about 1 inch thick and 35 inches on the long side (which was the diameter of the tree)...
yeah I figured I would end up planing it after dry assuming it would warp a bit... guess no easy way around that.

as for drying a log - as other poster said I don't think you dry the whole log - I did google drying wood before and everything I read pertained to logs that were milled into long boards right after tree was cut. lots of talk about proper stacking with spacers between boards and sealing of the end grains with latex paint or other sealers. also placement of the stack so the long edge faces the prevailing winds.
>>
Hey, of course, do as you feel comfortable.

Both my grandfathers were hobbyists. One specifically worked with wood, the other worked with everything. Idk about the cut wood. But the logs, they always left them outside, off the ground, tarped, for a year before they would cut into them.

I do the same thing on my own property. But I only use mine in the garden or the campfire.
>>
>>1062446
OP here... funny, I looked at the slice again (its been in the garage) and the warp seems to have corrected itself. the slice is pretty darn close to flat again and I didn't do anything to it. weird.
>>
>>1063270
Check often.
It might just be its position and its currently starting to bow the opposite direction.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.