[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Structural Engineer - AMA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 8

File: FB_IMG_1440805496710.jpg (415KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1440805496710.jpg
415KB, 1536x2048px
4chins ama

Structural Engineer here.
UK based.

I know you guys do a lot of work yourselves, and I know there are some budding engineers here too. Just here to see if I can help answer questions.

Any questions for me?

P.S - its always best to hire a local qualified engineer to undertake proper calculations according to your local building control service. Anything that I say here is only for discussion and/or information.
>>
Good idea, I did one of these threads a while back

If anyone has any questions for a mechanical engineer (that works as an electromechanical engineer) US based, I'll answer them

I primarily work on hydraulics, supercritical fluids, and cryogenic cooling (also general thermodynamics and heat transfer)
>>
>>1058862
>cryogenic cooling
do you ever freeze and revive anything?
>>
>>1058858
Whats that picture op?
>>
>>1058858
can fiberglass be used as structural members for buildings? How does fiberglass degrade over time and is it susceptible to corrosion or UV? Any way to add strength to already hardened fiberglass parts?
>>
File: 1474489042957.jpg (266KB, 680x452px) Image search: [Google]
1474489042957.jpg
266KB, 680x452px
>>1058858
>>1058862
Mechanical engineer undergraduate from Greece (diploma in 5 months), focus of study is energy transfer and ICEs.

I want a stable job with stable hours and a decent income.

How fucked am I?
Where to look for internships? Where did you?
Where to look for a MSc? Where did you?
What else should I know? What steps should I take? What did you do?
How useful is LinkedIn? Is there anything else that might help?

Please respond. Have a doggo for your patience.
>>
>>1058881
No

That doesn't work except with house flies, and even then you can do that in your own freezer

We do cryogenic cooling for industrial and lab use
>>
>>1058887
A demonstration of mortarless masonry construction.

>>1058888
GFRP and CFRP plates are generally very expensive despite their high performance.

They are both used genrally for reinforcing existing structures, and for bespoke elements where the client has enough money (E.g. stair cases).

Ive specified cfrp plate bonding to trim round holes for new stairs in concrete slabs, and for reinforced concrete beams that have had their shit wrecked by poor concrete spec. In fact bridge engineers use it more than us plain structures guys.

>UV
Simple answer, manufacturer will spec the matrix so that it shouldn't be susceptible. The material is new compared with what we usually use, so testing data is limited. Keep in mind that concrete and timber have been around for millennia.

>Strengthen hardened frp
Layering additional frp over that already cured may help. Careful consideration to the bonding material should be made because I expect that it's the component that will fail first, and has a lot of variability. I've never done this, but those are the things I would consider. Also, consider cross laminating if you haven't already.
>>
>>1058891
>>>1058858 (OP)
>>>1058862 (You)
>Mechanical engineer undergraduate from Greece (diploma in 5 months), focus of study is energy transfer and ICEs.
>I want a stable job with stable hours and a decent income.
>How fucked am I?
Depends on if you want to work in Greece or not

But at least in the US there is always demand for mechanical engineers
>Where to look for internships? Where did you?
I didn't, I used my senior design project as my main proof of ability, though many people aren't that good
>Where to look for a MSc? Where did you?
I didn't. In the States the engineering bachelor's is very rigorous, many students need to do it in 5 years instead of 4. As long as you go to an ABET approved school and pass the FE and PE exams you are considered an engineer, and thankfully that allows international work as well (don't know about Greece)
>What else should I know? What steps should I take? What did you do?
When you freely graduate, assume you have only learned 1/20th of what you need to be a complete engineer. However a company hiring knows this and will mold you into what they want you to be

>How useful is LinkedIn? Is there anything else that might help?
I've got one, never helped me, but I can keep in track of friends while at work, so that's a benefit
>Please respond. Have a doggo for your patience.
Thanks doggo
>>
>>1058888
I've seen buildings use fiberglass panels in lieu of steel roofing, however that isn't a structural member

Resin impregnated fiberglass has similar structural properties to aluminum, basically if you can make it with aluminum you can assume similar performance with fiberglass. So not structural unless it's something small like a bike frame or something like that
>>
>>1058894
Ah, an additional use we have is for glass beams.

We could potentially bond the frp to the bottom extreme fibre of a beam to act as a compression flange, in the Same way we do with concrete.

Glass and plain concrete have very similar properties and mechanical behaviour, being made of the same stuff. Frp bonding is very useful for both materials where you need to limit structural depth.
>>
>>1058908
>Compression
Fuck. I mean tension flange.

I was just writing an email about compression flange restraint to an architect....
>>
>>1058911
Might want to re-read that email to ensue the opposite didn't happen
>>
>>1058933
Nah.

>Implying architects have any idea about how a building even stands up.
>>
>>1058942
Lol

I always rage at documentaries that claim "the Guggenheim museum has stuck amazing architecture! The architect was a genius!" Then they completely neglect the civil engineers that had to devise a structure that could accommodate the crazy design
>>
>>1058858
There is literally no way to do an AMA without tripfagging. saging
>>
>>1058975
Ok, not op, but I'm also here for responses

Or were you complaining generally about tripfags
>>
>>1058979
Probably a butthurt steelwork contractor that got told he was doing something wrong by a graduate engineer.

>I've been doing this for 30 years kid
>Well you've been doing it wrong for 30 years matey.

Here's the trip code.

Let's go.
>>
>>1058858
What are the electrical engineers you work with like?

What's a building you worked on that I could google?
>>
>>1058987

>EE
Our firm is quite small. We have no EEs in house (although personally, I love electronics... recieved my new hakko today)

Externally, the EEs mainly deal with building fit out. The only interaction we have with them is with the mechanical guys, feeding AV stuff through our structural members. (And the occasional art piece)

Mechanical, we deal with much more.

>Building
I'm afraid I can't do that.
As above. Small firm, you'd be able to find my name in literally minutes.

Keep in mind though. Building structures isn't all we do. I've designed sculptures, staircases, little office cubicles, desks, all sorts. One of the reasons I love engineering is because I can manipulate anything around me and understand fundamentally how it works.
>>
>>1058987
Depends on the type of EE

Older EE's I've found to be a spring of odd knowledge, their definitely a dying breed (literally and figuratively), they can't always handle knew stuff despite being very knowledgeable about the foundations of the new stuff (they know everything about the semiconductor industry and how to design microchips, but mention a chip or newer architecture and they instantly show their age)

Younger EEs tend to know everything except the basics. (Ask them to make a PCB and they'll hand you a flash drive and ask who it's going to make the pcb from their file)

I'm an electromechanical- my degree is in mechanical but I work almost entirely as both a mechanical and electrical engineer
>>
>>1059004
They're*
>>
>>1058984
What's better is the occasional welder that says "I can do anything any of the people are doing in the offices" then you realize they can't make anything without a schematic
>>
>>1059014
Works both ways mate.

I know designers who specify welding both sides of plate that would literally be inaccessible to a stick.

Also welders and fabricators who think that structural engineering is about punching numbers into a spreadsheet and clicking 'go'.

I can't deal with ignorance. Just earlier this year, I decided that I didn't know enough about welding. Out of my own pocket I signed up to learn to do it. Now I intend to buy a MIG rig and start doing little things at home. Garden stuff, maybe a bit of sculpture etc.
>>
>>1058858
In a small building where 'height > base' (eg 20x20x30ft) and code/soil allow for 4" concrete slabs ... would adding additional depth via footers be necessary? Is there anything other than wind load and poor soil that would cause it to be unsound?
>>
There won't be any question/answer structurally related for the average DIYer in this thread - that isn't common sense. This thread is pointless because you won't give them the advice they actually need due to your deeply ingrained disposition to CYOA.

If you want some rouge advice and sketchy answers ask away - YMMV.

>yes you can cut those engineered trusses - if you do it right.
>Yes you can remove that load bearing wall yourself - if you do it right.
>You don't need hurricane ties
>>
>>1059019
>>>1059014 (You)
>Works both ways mate.
I realize there are things welders know that I don't, but I can promise you that the know everything fabricator is a pain in the ass to work with
>I know designers who specify welding both sides of plate that would literally be inaccessible to a stick.
Those are awful to work with as well.
>Also welders and fabricators who think that structural engineering is about punching numbers into a spreadsheet and clicking 'go'.
This
>I can't deal with ignorance. Just earlier this year, I decided that I didn't know enough about welding. Out of my own pocket I signed up to learn to do it. Now I intend to buy a MIG rig and start doing little things at home. Garden stuff, maybe a bit of sculpture etc.
Ditto, though I went with a stick welder, kinda wish I went MIG so I could do aluminum welding too but i can still do my basic welding
>>
>>1059020
>code/soil allows for 4" concrete slab
i don't believe you. site conditions vary. rain changes this. topsoil changes this. groundwater changes this. you need a geotechnical engineer to verify specific site conditions according to the design column load specified in the structural plans.

>would adding additional depth via footers be necessary
almost certainly yes, if you desire to have minimal settlement of your structure. also settlement is bad.

>anything other than windload poor soil
your soil conditions are key. groundwater, old fill soil, noncompacted structural fill, trash pits, expansive clays, lots and lots of things can go wrong with a foundation son.

if you are a contractor, the good news is you'll probably get paid before the sheetrock starts cracking and the doors don't shut, WIN!
>>
>>1058858
Land and mechanical survey and geodesic engineer here ask me anything about measurements, precision and why is my field oversaturated.
>>
>>1059023
> implying
I'm here to give advice, not to hold your hand

I never have you my LLR appointed professional engineering number, nor my name, nor my promise I'll keep you alive while you create a hydraulically driven dildo. But if you give me the basics of your problem I can use the knowledge I've learned in industry/university
>>
>>1059028
Why is your field oversaturated?
>>
>>1059036
>rouge advice
you're dangerous
>>
File: branch_photo_53297_0002.jpg (10KB, 310x312px) Image search: [Google]
branch_photo_53297_0002.jpg
10KB, 310x312px
>>1059040
What was rouge in my comment?

Did you mean rogue?
>>
>>1059020
I'm not sure I understand, or that you've given enough info, but I'll do my best

>code/soil allow for 4" slabs
What sort of soil?
Do you mean you're doing a slab on grade?
What about the upper floors? Timber? What's the construction of the house? Masonry?

Either way, for a slab on grade you need to dig out any soft spots, backfill with well compacted hardcore. Oh and the slab should be designed to span min. 2m (6ft) to deal with settlement and soft spots you've missed (i.e. you always need reinforcement, always)

This is all Irrelevant if it's shitty ground to begin with. do a few trial holes on the plot, make sure you're not building on someone’s old trash heap.

>anything other than wind and poor soil that would cause it to be unsound.
A million things.
There's soil heave and seasonal shrink swell for example (even in good clays). It's even worse during the summer near tall trees, the clay dessicates and you get fucked, then it swells and you have yearly cyclic loading.

People always forget water.
I've seen foundation underpinning drop 100mm (4") due to a burst watermain during construction. Water wasn't stopped for 48 hours because it was over the weekend, fines washed out of the soil and the entire wall cracked to shit.
Try to take your foundations down at least below the frost zone, and if you can, suspend the slab between the footings to avoid the heave (in clays). Use a void former under the slab to take the shrink swell.

In gravels atop clays you'll often get perched water which fucks your bearing pressure.
Likewise, in pure gravels, you'll end up with a tough time getting to consolidated grade, your excavations will be collapsing frequently without shoring.

Additional Questions:
>What do you mean by 'adding additional depth'?
>Does this mean you intend to build up from the slab, using it as a raft? (if so, 4" won't cut it and you'll be knee deep in masonry, water and probably a little bit of piss before you know it)
>>
>>1059023
>that isn't common sense
You'd be surprised how little people have, despite thinking that they have a lot of it.

Taking out a cross wall in a house and replacing it with a beam is 'common sense'.

Not understanding that the timber wall was in fact buttressing the external walls, preventing them from racking, is something else entirely.

>>1059023
>This thread is pointless because you won't give them the advice they actually need due to your deeply ingrained disposition to CYOA.
You're missing the point of the thread.
here is my professional experience on what you should be looking out for at the very minimum =/= loel yeah senpai just be sure you knock down that load bearing wall 'carefully' and you'll be fine.

Of course, you're more than welcome to hide the thread and not post in it.
>>
>>1059039
Because Bloody gov't started a lot of construction work nationwide.
Which lead to boom in industry, yet govt fucked over all the companies by literally not paying them.
Which lead to drop in prices, in some case below the costs.

Also universities pumped out shitton(including me) graduates in that boom time.

Bloody eastern europoor country.
>>
>>1059204
Sorry m8
>>
>>1059204
What country?
>>
>>1059207
Poland.
>>
>>1059212
I'm so sorry
>>
I need to make a tower for a wind turbine. The nacelle will be mounted on top of the tower at a height of 15m from the ground. The nacelle will weigh about 100kg. The ground area we have to construct the tower is about 6 by 6 meters. The base of the tower should fit within this area (no guywires outside).

What is the best way to do this cheaply and effectively? We are right now considering a steel lattice tower, a segmented steel pole with two sets of guy wires, and a single steel pole that tapers as it rises.

FYI we'd like to keep the cost of the tower at under $1000.

thanks!
>>
>>1058858
Abaqus or ANSYS?
>>
Can /diy/ just support an /eng/ general? honestly this place is more our milieux than /sci/
>>
>>1059274
Etabs and SAP2000
Abacus and Andy's are only used if we really struggle with complex nodes, which is rare. StructuralEngineers are keen to simplify.

Also FE for shells is generally unreliable in my opinion. I'll stick with my hand calculations where possible.

>>1059217

>6x6
>15 m
>Dynamic loading
>1000 American

Wew lad. You sound like an architect.

I'll have a go a bit later, but just be aware that in general, 1000kg of steel is around £2100 in English pesos. Not sure what it will be in America.

Just thinking about it, the foundations will be concrete, say 4x1cubic metres at the very least. That will cost you about £60-80 a cube, totalling £300

Then you've got the holding down bolts or chemical anchors which cost £10 per bolt..... 4 bolts per pier, that's £160.

Mate you've got £300 left for steel.
Jej. Not happening. Up the budget

I'll have a quick look at tower options. The thing that concerns me here is the vibration, causing fatigue on the steel joints. Any mongo can build a 5 storey steel braced frame, having it not wobble to shit is another thing entirely
>>
>>1059306
>chemical anchors which cost £10 per bolt..... 4 bolts per pier, that's £160.
not him, but, anyone needing chemical anchors in UK? - get you sorted cheaper than a tenner, f'sure..

Structuresguy - any chance, you offer me a opinion on the validity/viability of removing loft/attic beams (aim: increasing manoueverability/possible conversion) - if yeah, photos do, or actual plan be better? TIA. (just, if not your thing, saves me the hassle of producing material, etc.)
>>
>>1059308
>removing loft/attic beams
one question, structural or no?
>>
>>1059308
Ok. Say even the chemical anchors were free.
That leaves like £450 for a 5 storey steel frame. Unlikely, but as I said, I'll have a look anyway.

Pictures and a little cross section sketch of your loft would be good. Pitched or flat roof?
Picture from the outside of the house would be good too.

Keep in mind that duo pitched rooves put out thrust if they're not a truss. Think about an arch... It's essentially a flat membered arch.
I'm assuming you're turning a trussed timber roof to an open space.

So cutting ties etc may be difficult without it pushing horizontally at the top of supporting walls. You could deal with this by adding a tie member within the attic floor.

I do a lot of house refurb. So go ahead, I can have a look.

As always. I'm giving ideas on viability. Get your local engineering service to size the members to your codes.
>>
>>1058858

Why didn't you study a real engineering discipline like electrical or mechanical?
>>
>>1059324
Well, my family were stone workers, master builders, military engineers and contractors for the last 2000 years.

Our clan name even means 'mason'.

I think it's in my genes, I chose civil before I knew anything about my family history. The only one who isn't, is my dad. Who was an EE before jumping ship into finance.

My intention is to get my EE and ME degrees later in life, but I couldn't handle the autism that came with that stuff at university. The EEs were particularly bad, literally 4chan tier autists.

Anyway, I actually have many different interests. Structural engineering pays the bills and has better advancement prospects. I also love design led work, architecturally led design work.
>>
>>1059327

I'm just messing with you m8. Good on ya.
>>
>>1059332
On the real though.

EE and CS were full autismo at the engineering ball. Every year we'd be mushed together with psychology to address the gender balance.

Civils, aero and some of the less retarded mechanical engs would be gaming their way around the room. The dozen EEs that decided to show up sat playing games too, but on their phones. It was just embarrassing.

Don't get me started on the CS guys with green hair who wanted to become 'game designer's and drew pictures of their waifus in lectures.

They hated me becasue I used Linux and a thinkpad, but was more or less normal.
>>
>>1059204
>>1059212
>a lot of construction work nationwide
>Poland.

but you guys are still building more autobahns and whatnot there, and your economy is nowhere near decline right now, so it's not all that bad right?
>>
>>1059337
and you can always move to your wealthier western neigbhbour
>>
>>1059333
Are you me?

The EEs were the reason I went ME (also because nuclear engineering is a subset of mechanical and I wanted to learn a bunch of nuclear)

At my university almost all of the civil engineers were army or ROTC. Mechanical seemed to have the most laid back people, while still being a rigorous study.

I plan on going back for biomedical in the future though
>>
>>1059421
Yeah OTC is big amongst the civils. No idea why.

Maybe it has something to do with all the business and "systems" stuff we are forced to learn.

Those people tend to be pure civils though. I'm personally more of a technical guy. I prefer analysis and design over 'management', but a lot of my friends came in their pants when they got to put together a Gant chart or do costing etc.

Fuck that.

That's why I ended up being in a niche consultancy doing cool work, while they're doing asset management at network rail.
>>
>>1059306
what if the joints were welded?
>>
>>1059437
You should minimise the amount of welding you do.

Welding is labour intensive in the shop, and difficult to manage for quality on site. I've seen structural frames on site that look like they have hemmaroids because of the shitty welding.

Bolted connections are safer, quicker and generally cheaper.
>>
>>1059450
Hmm, okay.

What kind of tower do you think would be best?
>>
>>1059677
So I've had a look at this, you could probably buy a proprietary system for cheaper than I'd be able to design it for.

This is primarily because I'd be basing the design for robustness and steel occupied structures which is likely different to wind turbine towers and infrastructure.

We don't tend to design with cold-rolled sections - so this is where the proprietary systems would be better. (and cheaper)

You can actually find guy-wire stabilised towers all over the internet - what's more is that the manufacturer will provide you with a warranty.

I know this sounds like a bit of a cop out, but there's no point in me designing and analysing something that I know is not going to fit your requirements ... when there’s stuff available out there already.
>>
>>1059450
Didn't the British build a high rise a few years back that consisted of prefab modules bolted (not welded) together?

All the welding on each module was done in a shop. Pieces were trucked to the site in London and bolted together.
>>
>>1060337
I've found some lattice towers for sale around $8,000-$9,000. What's a typical price for one of these things (no installation just parts)
>>
>>1060344
Economy of Scale. If you've got 300 units, it suddenly becomes viable.

Also, any modular buildings over 10 storeys need to have their own separate wind stability system. So it really depends what you mean by 'high rise'.

Typically, steelwork is bolted on site anyway. Site welding isn't as common here as it is over in the States - again due to quality control issues.
>>
>>1058887
"Art" at the Sacramento Airport.
>>
>>1058862
Innacanada about to enter a 4 year coop thing to get a diploma in 'mechanical engineering technician'
Am I being handed a diploma that will end up with me working a shit job in some factory keeping the machines running for $20 an hour?
>>
File: aaaaa.jpg (59KB, 861x454px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaa.jpg
59KB, 861x454px
>>1060578
>technician
Is it through a school with some kind of accreditation or what?
>>
How strict are your earthquake codes?
Asked by a computer engineer so please keep it simple.
>>
>>1060578
Technician is always a cop out

In the US mechanical engineer technicians are a military designation

Basically it used to be that the military would pay for your education with a 4 year commitment to the military

This was great until they realized that after the 4 year commitment people would leave instantly and the military would have to always have green horn engineers

Then they realized if they did the teaching they could get away with giving them "degrees" that were useless in the private sector

Thus came in the "mechanical engineering technician" degree

You'll learn a shit ton of useful shit

But not much for jobs outside the coop you're working for at that moment
>>
>>1060598
>>1060660
Through a college yeah, the program is 2 years in class and 2 years coop.
Should I just go with the two year and try and use the diploma to get in to uni to get a proper degree if I want to make 80k+?
>>
>>1060697
Didn't mention I've also been accepted to enter a 2 year without the coop
>>
>>1060697
If the 2 years is leading to an associate's degree in mechanical engineering (not technology) then go for it, when the two years are through you can transfer to a full university
>>
File: PIC_SOFT_STOREY_1.jpg (28KB, 376x255px) Image search: [Google]
PIC_SOFT_STOREY_1.jpg
28KB, 376x255px
>>1060612
In the UK, earthquakes are basically the equivalent of a cat farting.

Seismic design is very strict in sensitive structures (e.g. hospitals) and especially so in seismic zones.

The Eurocode (EN 1998) designates different areas as having different design criteria. You typically design to a simplified response spectra for horizontal and vertical ground acceleration. This is complicated because Every earthquake is different. Often, we take time histories, response spectra from previous earthquakes and apply it to the buildings we design.

For a sense of how critical this is; The christchurch earthquake a few years ago had vertical ground acceleration of almost 1g. The buildings became momentarily twice as heavy as they usually are (typical load safety factors are between 1.3-1.6 - this doesn't include the horizontal movement.

pic related is a soft storey failure in Kobe 1995. Weak columns, strong beams resulted in 'pancaking' of a whole storey. - when you see it, you'll shit bricks.
>>
File: bett.png (81KB, 1632x928px) Image search: [Google]
bett.png
81KB, 1632x928px
>>1058858

Hey there bud,

I'm building a bed, because of a lack of sturdy beds in the industry for the purposes that my lady and I need beds for.

I wanna build a silent bed that doesn't squeak or slide around. (we have skidmarks on the wall from the current bed)

I'd like to ask if the construction attached would be strong enough or buckle to shear forces.

these studs would be screwed together and inlaid with two twin slat frames. the studs that touch the floor should be covered with some anti-slip material.

Now I've considered doing a V or X frame at the bottom instead of the single beam, but I don't trust the idiots at the hardware store to be able to cut anything other than right angles.

Opinion?
>>
>>1060865
This OP, please go into more depth on this.
>>
>>1060865

You're instincts are correct. You should add some V or X bracing if you want to make it sturdy.

Now I'm not sure what you're sitting on top (slats? some other frame?) but your image currently is literally a box made with hinges in the corners. At some point it will become loose if you're going to be rocking it side to side.

You could cut these timbers yourself desu,

trim the ends to the appropriate angle for the geometry (looks nearly 45 degrees) and use some truss clips or framing anchors.you'd also need a cross halving joint in the middle to have them overlap.

The (weaker) alternative to this is to stick some corner braces/haunches. in the corners

Better yet.... make a ply diaphragm. Glue and screw some 9mm ply over the entire thing - this will basically turn it into a diaphragm wall. No. 12 screws would be structural grade but you could probably nail it to the underside of the top rectangle desu. Keep in mind ply doesn't span far, so if you're going to put it on top; add some additional timbers @ say 400c/c

With respect to 'buckling' - your members aren't thin enough for shear buckling. They're also square enough that they won't be susceptible to flexural buckling either. The only thing they would possibly have problems with is flexural stress... but at this scale I doubt it

Just to be sure: What size are they? and what sort of timber? I'll do a really quick calc for you.

TLDR; Give me the timber sizes and the type; if you want robustness, screw and glue a ply sheet to the underside of the top frame.
>>
>>1060865
your bed, the mattress will fall right into it, also it has no legs
>>
>>1060928
I'm assuming he's putting slats/battens on top between the middle rail and each side.
>>
>>1060915

40x60mm, or 60x80, or 100x60, not sure yet. whatever's cheapest. ill probably be using 3-5mm wood screws

the diaphragm is a good idea, but i don't know if I can transport that into my home.

how about a tensegrity type system instead? using a cargo belt would come to mind. could you suggest a geometry?

constraints btw: the inner dimensions must be 2000mm length, 1800mm width. there must be a lengthwise at least 20mm lip on each side and a lengthwise center bar at least 40 mm wide at the same height as the lips.

>>1060934
thats correct
>>
>>1060737
>>1060660
Just realized i forgot my tripcode for these replies
>>
>>1060820
>when you see it, you'll shit bricks
brix have been shat.
>>
>>1060820
> not designing all buildings for 100% impulse force

In all reality that is terrifying, most mechanical systems I work with I always need to design in a FOS of 4 (high pressure systems). I once had to design something for an airplane and they were making me work with a FOS of only 1.15. It was the most terrifying design I ever worked on because I knew the dangers involved if it is used out of spec. Most mech engineers never see below a fos of 2 but with I imagine with buildings the FOS needs to be much tighter.

I don't envy you structural guys
>>
File: t_flatplate_failure_152.jpg (54KB, 575x453px) Image search: [Google]
t_flatplate_failure_152.jpg
54KB, 575x453px
>>1062183
FOS is 3 or 4 for foundations, because ground conditions are literally impossible to estimate accurately with modern technology. Maybe in 30 years time things will be different.

We take Limit State Design here in Europe.
>Ultimate Limit state is member/material failure. (FOS varies based on dead or imposed loading 1.3 - 1.6)
>Serviceability limit state is based on non-excessive deformation/movement/vibration and cracking of non life critical elements. FOS on this is 1.0

Keep in mind also that we have little to no control of what actually happens on site. If I spec a square concrete column with 9No. B24 bars, 3 each face;

>I'm not there when they put the 12mm rebar in instead of the 24mm rebar
>I'm not there when they batch the concrete
>I'm not there when they forget to compact and vibrate the concrete
>I'm not there when some dickhead decides its a good idea to add water to the specially designed mix to 'loosen it up'
>I'm not there when they decide to use rebar chairs that don't hold the bars in the correct position
>I'm not there when they 'forget' to install the anti-bursting reinforcement or punching shear reinforcement
>I’m not there when they leave the rebar out for days in the rain, then install rusted rebar in the slab

With shitty contractors, our FOS goes from 1.5 -> 0.8 or less really fucking quickly. (hence my comment about site welding earlier in the thread)

It's always concerning when a contractor finishes a job and you notice a 1m tall pile of U-bar closers and shear links near the entrance to site.

General question:
Who here has ever pushed a sharp pencil through a sheet of paper? Pic related.
Anyone
>>
>>1060737
Ahhh it's for a diploma/technician/technology.. thanks, you may have saved me a lot of $$
>>
Senior mechanical engineering student here.
Any engineers have ideas on how to take strangely shaped seeds one by one from a hopper? I've got some ideas, but I'd like more.
>>
>>1062415

Vibration sieves
>>
>>1062415
Pick and place machine with a tiny nozzle and suction
>>
>>1059333
Non-autistic CS/SWE undergrad here. I'm in my last semester--and yes, I realize SWE triggers you.

>CS guys with green hair who wanted to become 'game designer's and drew pictures of their waifus in lectures.
These people will never become 'game designers' and generally suck across the board. Usually, they switch to IT somewhere around the 3rd or 4th year, when the EE, OS, computational theory, and numerical analysis classes kick in.

Why do you think the civil, mechanical, structural, and electrical engineers are less autistic? Because they have to deal with contractors, whereas CS can be totally isolated?
>>
>>1062726
I'll be honest senpai.

We are all autismo, but some engineers are better at hiding that autism, or compartmentalising their aspie tendencies behind a veil of 'normalcy'.

I use Linux as my daily driver and consider shitposting on a Korean Islamic appreciation forum 'fun'.There is no way I'm not secretly full autismo.

To some extent, most civils and mechanical engineers are used to just making shit work, regardless of "optimisation" it works, fuck it. So we accept that the world is imperfect. EE and CS are used to more well defined variables.
Also, I think many of us just have an acceptance that at some point we need to get our dicks wet and be normal too.
>>
Ah shit, that's Sacramento Airport ain't it?
>>
>>1059450
CE here. I have been researching about welding for a small time and I am starting to come in terms with it after finding some tools to check quality of welding(mostly ultrasonic&xray tools) its not cheap and very risky to do on field and requires climbing skills most of the time. Would not recommend it for sake of work safety though. However, if you do some search for types of bolts you will easily find that there are types with long sustainability in high freq loads. I'm half drunk in middle of night and on mobile right now so that'll be my 2 cents. May your load distribution problems solve easily.
>>
>>1060820

how did they end up dealing with that pic?
>>
>>1065515
Careful remediation with tactical, special machinery.

First they start with the roof area. Then they knock the rest of the fucking thing down.
>>
>>1065670
>remediation
what's that?
>>
>>1063486
Is it still there after the remodel?
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.