[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

All things Iron

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: te_metal_ingot.jpg (62KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
te_metal_ingot.jpg
62KB, 400x400px
Anyone have any idea as to where to find iron, be that in nails, rods, sheets, bars, ect..
TLDR: Trying to build a rotor core for a DIY shunt DC motor but have no clue what to wrap armature coils around that retain any smudges of magnetic permeability

It appears that hardware stores only now sell steel/composite alloy for construction,
I just have no idea where to find ferromagnetic iron
>>
Wouldn't high silicate steel be better
>>
Probably can't hurt to mention 'where' in the world you are, I mean I can find commercial sources of iron here but I dunno where you are.
Also- is it going to be cast or machined?
>>
You probably want laminations otherwise you'll have eddy current problems.
>>
>>1058770
If he can find that outside of scrap (like transformator core) it's gonna be lot of work cuting that hard stuff. He may be better off casting his core out of soft iron dust (or small pelets) and glue.
>>
>>1058761
find a blacksmith online anywhere, then call and ask.
>>
>>1058761
literally take the cores out of scrap transformers or E cores
>>
File: th (4).jpg (3KB, 160x120px) Image search: [Google]
th (4).jpg
3KB, 160x120px
>>1058761
I'd pull an ignition coil from a pretty 94 fish car (where it had one large coil and not a bunch of smaller ones)
I'd avoid the canister type, they're filled with oil for cooling.
87-93 fords have a nice one that might work.
If you just need a chunk of iron, buy some crappy ancient cylinder head and cut the end off of it.
>>
bog iron
>>
Use a cast iron skillet or dutch oven as your iron source, it's gray cast iron
>>
>>1058761
Travel to the town of Agua Fria; you'll find a guy there with some big iron on his hip.

(Big iron on his hiiiiiiiiip!)
>>
>>1059357
Underated post
>>
all these "I want to make a homemade electric motor" posts are depressing.

It would be easier to make your own internal combustion motor, or integrated circuit, or car tire, but nobody tries those because it's obviously very hard.

you can make homemade electric motors that suck, and it's fun for a child or anyone who is curious. but an electric motor that is not garbage is simply beyond your ability. even if you have the tools and materials, it's obvious that you have no idea how to design an electric motor or you would not dream of trying it.

but if you still want to try, go for it. hell, you might discover something that has been overlooked in the past 100 years and get rich.
>>
>>1059398
people make their own generators all the time though
>>
>>1059398
>I can't do it perfectly might as well not try
time to stop breathing lad
>>
>>1059398
>Noone can make one so don't even try
>There's been tons of people making them so they're not going to overlook something
>>
>>1058761
Can't you just take the mild steel from home depot and mix in some sand inside a furnace and voila you have electrical steel?
>>
>>1059435
>people make their own generators all the time though

not from raw stock. describe what you are saying in detail please.

>>1059782
>>I can't do it perfectly might as well not try
>time to stop breathing lad

as I said, if he wants to do something that is very hard, go ahead. you might come up with something amazing.

but what I said is true. I designed motors for many years, and you simply cannot make anything except a piece of shit in your garage even if you have mills and lathes and lots of nice tools.

he is so far out of his element that he lists nails as a possible source for his rotor. that's fine if you want to build a piece of garbage, and it's a lot of fun. but it will not perform well; it will be worse than the cheapest motor made in the last 80 years.

there are far better ways to learn about electromagnetics or machining or whatever he is interested in. as I said, you could make your own car tires in your basement before you could produce an electric motor that is not a piece of crap.
>>
>>1059942
O.K. so one of my friends is making a permanent magnet generator from "stock" i.e. she bought the neodymium magnets and machined an aluminum casing. She put down the magnets in a specific way, then epoxy'd them in place.

I'll have to check back with what she's been doing for that
>>
>>1060890
let me know if she becomes Iron Woman
>>
>>1059942
Engineers always think like this and they're wrong every time. A DIYer can easily build something half as efficient as the commercial equivalent, and improving it from there is just a matter of incremental optimization. Take your autism somewhere else.

>>1058761
Regular steel will work fine; you'll have more eddy current losses but not enough to make your motor useless. Use thin sheet metal and optimize your motor for torque instead of speed, and you should be ok.
>>
>>1060985
>A DIYer can easily build something half as efficient as the commercial equivalent
good luck doing that for doing semiconductors :^)
i agree with you though, most things can be done DIY pretty well
>>
>>1060985
>Use thin sheet metal and optimize your motor for torque instead of speed, and you should be ok.

cool. I always wanted to replace the cheap motors that are mass produced with higher performance designs. where would you buy the sheet metal, and can I cut it with shears, or a hacksaw, or what?
>>
Bump
>>
I had a similar issue, my theoritcal solution was thermite, I was too lazy to test that out.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.