[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Woodwork/woodcraft General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: as.png (565KB, 846x452px) Image search: [Google]
as.png
565KB, 846x452px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCqB7IYbyIM
>>
presently working on a router table for a regular router, and possibly another for a dremel to use with 1/8" bits

got a tap a while ago for the dremel threaded "tip" but the original plans kinda fizzled

also making a new insert for a table saw
>>
File: IMG_5227.jpg (564KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5227.jpg
564KB, 1080x1920px
I've been making sparring swords to practice for sca tournaments with my mates. I've heard hickory is a good wood to use, but I have only been able to find red oak and pine. the oak seems to last quite a bit longer but it also splinters quite a bit more, any advice?
>>
Does that thing have plans?
>>
>>1058767
Use rattan. Wood that splinters or breaks into sharp pieces is a recipe for disaster with practice sparring swords.
Failing that... you could try hemp or similar fibrous stalky plant.
The other swords will not stand up to repeated strikes against each other anyway.. they will end up breaking eventually rather than just crushing.

(You can always add more duct tape.)
>>
>>1058826
please anon don't encourage people to beat each other with weed
>>
>>1058768
yeah check out his website
>>
>>1058767
Hickory is used a lot in axe handles because its relatively tough, not the toughest but a nice mix of strength and cheap.
Spotted Gum is pretty good, Hard Maple might be ok too if you keep it well oiled. Teak and Mahogany should also work fairly well but might cost a bit more
>>
>>1058767
If your in the states, get some Mulberry branches. They are common af ornamental trees that are trimmed regularly, and the wood is both hard and springy.
>>
>>1058826
The Japanese design their training swords to expand out when they break
>>
>>1058906
it costs fucking money
is this your website or just a shill?
>>
>>1058996
Aside from the fact dust extraction is pretty much non existent, this actually looks like a fairly comprehensive work station set up and for €15, it's idea for the average dumb cunt who can't estimate by looking at an image.
>>
>>1058996
Nah not mine
Just enjoined his videos and ideas
>>
I want to build some custom furniture for my house, however I'm not sure what the best source for my wood should be.

I'd rather not commit to the very cheapest option like particle board, and I know IKEA's good for the price, but what wood should I look for to minimize cost and still retain some decent quality(I will stain myself) and is Rona/Home Depot a good place to get it?
>>
>>1059074
theres a dust extraction with a vacuum cleaner in video tho
>>
>>1059243
You could still resort to IKEA and do some hacking with them.
>>
>>1059243
Oak is great. Go to a lumber yard and buy some. even better yet get a chainsaw mill and cut down trees that people need gone.
>>
So I'm thinking of trying out woodworking, maybe making a small end table to see if I can follow through before thinking of big projects. I'd like to go the hand tools only using joins and glue method but I don't want to break the bank.

I know I'll need to get a better saw than I have and some chisels, but do I really need to spend $250 on a plane just to get started? I would really like to keep cost of starting tools to ~$100 or so. I don't mind spending more down the line, I just don't want to spend $500 to do this for a week and then decide that it isn't for me.
>>
>>1059243
Some towns have salvage centers or places that sell recycled construction materials.
You can find some neat stuff if your willing to sand or plane the old off.
>>
I've got several 2"x12"x10' wide yellow pine boards kicking around. Been thinking of laminating them just side by side to make a 18"-20" section and a dog apron with 2 vises for a workbench.

Anyone have any first hand wisdom to help prevent the top warping over time?

Ill try to laminating them with the growth rigs in opposite order, etc to help prevent twisting/etc.. but will battens or a sheet of plywood on the underside help anything with that magnitude?

I don't want it to distort in the foreseeable future, and I don't want it to bounce when i pound on it is all.
>>
>>1059300
Evidently I got bored before I got that far.
>>
>>1060524
>I wuna build furniture wat do
>Go buy oak
>Expensive not cheap oak

This is how you waste expensive hard wood.
>>
>>1061903
I simply wouldn't use it for a workbench Top.

Plywood is the way to go.
>>
File: ss (2016-09-30 at 07.55.54).jpg (140KB, 1274x789px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-09-30 at 07.55.54).jpg
140KB, 1274x789px
Is this the right thread to ask about furniture making? I want to make a desk out of particle board but I'm not really sure how I should connect the boards. I think I'd use dowels and eccentric connectors, but I have no idea about their proportion. Now I'm opting for 3 eccentric and 2 dowels for horizontal connections and 2 eccentric and 3 dowels for vertical for most edges (~600mm) and arbitrarily more for long edges. Am I close to doing it right? And sorry if I worded it ambiguously, I can't into furniture in English.
>>
>>1059243
Pine furniture can be very nice. There are finishes like tung oil that improve the hardness of the furniture. If you stain it, keep some of the stain handy to rub into the inevitable scratches and dings--while pine can dent very easily, rubbing in a little stain will give it a nice burnished, rustic look.

Go to a friendly lumber yard and learn about wood. If you're just getting into furniture building, it's best not to waste a lot of money on nice hardwood.
>>
>>1061900
>>1063566
I'll check it out, thanks.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.