[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Test a Phone Jack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

i have a working landline in another room. i tried moving my router up to this jack but ive got nothing. the wiring all looks ok

is there any test i can do on a phone line with a simple multimeter? ive tried testing between the different leads but i cant find anything

its a very old house. im wondering if once upon a time the line was a different number thats now inactive
>>
I am unaware of any router that uses a 2-wire phone line. You probably need a cat-5 ethernet cable and jack.
>>
>>1058583
Connect a stripped telephone cable to one side, join the stripped wires by pairs, test at the other side side for continuity between pairs with the multimeter, if a pair is open you have two potentially damaged wires, repeat the process alternating the connections of the stripped wires to find the one that is shorted.
It might be the phone company who came to install the phone line cut it at some point, those bastards cut one of the wires I had installed, causing the telephone at the other side of the house to stop working.
>>
>>1058583
Plug a phone into the jack and see if that works. (Unless you have a dryloop, then you couldn't tell)

Are you talking about a dsl modem you're moving to this new outlet? Are you plugging it into the right one? There's only wires connected to the one on the right of your picture.

Additionally, your DSL splitter might be at the NID/Demarc --where the phone wires come into your house. So the DSL signal is going only to the one room it was in originally. It's automatically filtered out of the rest of the house.

>>1058587
It probably had a ~600k short or a ground on it, which might have just been from your phone on the other end, or it was off hook while he was there. he should have let you know he did it though, but there almost certainly was a reason. Op's wire is original to the house anyway, or at least very old.
>>
>>1058583
Red/green is pair one
Yellow/black is pair two.

To test you're just looking for continuity to the demarcation point or wherever it can connect to the active line. You'll see 48-52 vdc on a properly working POTS line. Pretty much hook it up and it'll work. That quad wire will hook to cat 3 as such:

Green= white/blue
Red= blue/white
Black= white/orange
Yellow = orange/white

Your router will not work hooked to quad wire. The crosstalk from r/g to bl/y is audible to the human ear with a pots/fax combo. Data won't move over that shit.
>>
>>1058583
>is there any test i can do on a phone line with a simple multimeter?
red to green should be ~48vdc with no load
(if a phone is picked up anywhere on the loop it drops to a few volts)
when a 'ring' occurs the ring voltage is ~90ac at 20hz

t. former phone company employee
>>
OP here

thank you all for the input. that let me determine that the line was i fact disconnected from the phone box. i went outside and after a few trial-and-error attempts, i found the right line to connect so the jack works now

thanks again, all!
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.