[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What trade pays the most ? 18 year old male about to graduate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 20

File: download (1).jpg (4KB, 334x151px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
4KB, 334x151px
What trade pays the most ?

18 year old male about to graduate high school.

What is the Best trade to get into ?
>>
Just in it for the money? Prostitution or plumbing. Either way, you're laying pipe.
Out to have fun? Carpentry or metalwork or some shit.
>>
File: 1379370973199.jpg (366KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1379370973199.jpg
366KB, 1024x768px
>>1057182
Underwater welding. Cant get more dangerous.
>>
Glass and window fitting. People underestimate it but it's good money. A mate of mine does it on price and he can make anything up to £3k a week on the right job .
>>
>>1057197
You're not going to walk into a job like that straight from school.
>>
>>1057182
Sparkies and dung beetles
>>
>>1057200

That consideration was not part of the criteria. But hell within a couple years.you could be welding on rigs and emergency ship repair callouts while making more than any other trade and any 3 years masters graduate.
>>
>>1057182
Electric lineman is pretty good and not as dangerous as welding, and consistent
>>
What trade if the most needed or employable? I've mostly seen auto mechanics, electricians and welders.
>>
>>1057273
Nurses.
Mechanics have their days numbered
. Uber/google and self driving cars will kill the industry just when you start making bank.
>>
>>1057274
>self driving cars don't need maintenance.
>>
>>1057290
>or repairs in general
That said, im a mechanic and it pays too little for the effort you put in.Listen to the oldfag techs and stay away from this industry
>>
>>1057292

This. Unless you are looking at running your own shop it is a really shit pay for the horrors.
>>
Commercial pilots and Air traffic controller will be the higher end of the wage packet.

Nurse will be guaranteed employment anywhere you speak the native language.
>>
>>1057292
Where are you?

I have a couple of friends who run a garage together doing mechanical and electrical repairs and they make a killing...
>>
>>1057320

Running a garage and being a mechanic are not the same thing.
>>
>>1057320
This
>>1057329

I work in dallas at an indie shop, iys hourly and comfy but i dont get paid enough for it to be considered a good career. Used to work for honda and volkswagen prior, flat rape at honda and hourly at vw. No future in either one of them unless you suck mean dick, are a part of the owners family, or work yourself to death.
>>
>>1057182
If you are in it for the money, best just keep on studying m8.
You wont be able to affort golden cleets or whatever the fuck people your age buy now.
>>
>>1057182
From personal experience the two most stable trades my family/friends have got into are Plumbing/HVAC and Electrician, a lot of people will try a little light carpentry and almost everyone who has ever painted a room thinks they could be a painter (until they have to do the whole room in one day), but not many people like to fuck around with the plumbing or the electrics much.

Now what you should also be asking is how can I futureproof my career choice, with plumbing I have no fucking idea but if you chose to become an electrician I would make sure you learn all you can about renewable energy and how to install and maintain it, there is a huge interest in going off grid these days and renewable energy use is only going to go up IMHO, check out the YT channel below this guy has his shit well and truly together if you ask me.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpDl4WPpgvvOeZFpw4ewycA
>>
Welders can make up to $100/hr.
>>
>>1057347

The thing with those two is that you can get involved in everything.

You can be the guy who fixes leaky sinks or you can be the guy who in managing the install of 4' seamless piping.
>>
>>1057334
>flat rape at honda
Guess I know where to avoid then
>>
>>1057319
Those aren't trades
>>
>>1057194
Can confirm carpentry is fun as hell, you won't make the big bucks. But I have a blast going in everyday.

Also OP does your school have one of those trades/job training places/programs? I would go up there and ask who ever runs the construction part to see if they can get you some light work in various trades to see which you like.
>>
>>1057329

You've lost me pal. What in your part of the world do you consider to be a mechanic and a garage?
>>
>>1057384

I guess English is a minor language to you?

A mechanic is a person who is paid to fix machinery.

A garage is a place where you repair, maintain and/or store machinery.

A garage can be owned and run by a company or an individual.

Not all mechanics run a business, in fact most do not.

The person running the business does not even need to be a mechanic. The business owner could be a transvestite nightclub owner who is just dabbling into a different field.
>>
>>1057182
>What is the Best trade to get into ?
The one you enjoy the most.

>being a cash whore
Typical 18 year old
>>
>>1057368
They are.
They're skilled service trades
>>
>>1057400
English is my first language. I am from England. This is why I was confused by what you were saying.

Here, the majority of garages are private businesses run by mechanics who are sole traders.

The two I was talking about are father and son. Both mechanics who run a Garage.

The only other common garages are chain garages but they are either tyre fitters who do the odd job like tracking or brake repair or car dealer service garages.
>>
>>1057347
>renewable energy

Yes.
Start right now and find an electrical company that will take you on as an Apprentice and pay for training to become a Journeyman. In my state/country this is appx a 4 year process, so start now.

When you have your journeyman card you can get more cash and keep getting continuing education/certificates for installing solar/etc, then get involved with those.
>>
My dad bought a mixer for $1,000 and turned it into a $400,000 a year masonry business. He already knew everything about masonry though.
>>
>>1057274
>Mechanics have their days numbered
>. Uber/google and self driving cars will kill the industry just when you start making bank.

Nope.

Systems still require SKILLED maintenance and repair. All the automated diagnostics on a jet fighter don't get rid of avionics technicians. Uber won't kill off mechanics, it will centralize fleet maintenance. That is very fucking different. There's no magic car which doesn't break, and automated vehicles will require strict maintenance to ensure their safe operation.
>>
Sparkies and good mechanical fitters that can weld and fabricate on or off site.

If you're either of those then you will never be out of work
>>
>>1057444
The only thing automated vehicles will kill off are a whole bunch of delivery drivers, I bet in twenty years time most delivery vehicles will be self driving and there will only be a few people at the warehouse and a few more delivering to places/people that aren't set up for auto delivery, but bulk delivery, the kind done by big rigs will go auto as soon as possible and kill off most of the truck driving jobs.
>>
>>1057182
Machinist, particularly a tech savvy one. If you can drive a 5 axis or operate a CMM you will spend all day in a climate controlled room playing with a robot.
>>
>>1057182
Construction Management isn't a trade but 4 years of college can get you $65k/year out the gate if you have half a brain and can use excel.
>>
>>1057463
Construction management is putting out logistical fires and being the go between for the foremen and the engineers.
>>
>>1057465
You're exactly right sir.
>>
>>1057465
Oh, do we describe the jobs that are mentioned now?
>>
>>1057415
>burger flipping is a trade
>turning tricks is a trade
No fuck off, profession =/= trade
>>
>>1057456

i would also feel this way if it wasnt for one thing.

The railroad.

Trains are so much easier to automate than a vehicle that had much more variables to deal with yet they have had difficulty getting rid of engineers and on some lines even firemen.

Compare those small number of job losses to all the delivery drivers and you are having to make significantly more positions redundant.
>>
>>1057496
A conjunction of both would seem most logical, automated trains to do the heavy cross country work and automated trucks to fill in the distance between the rail head and the end customer, either way it will be a bad day for drivers when this happens.
>>
>>1057456
>>1057496
>>1057498
Forgot to add that automated vehicles are going to be real bad news for taxi cab drivers, those dudes will be fucked!
>>
>>1057417

Those shop owners have at least one person working under them and regularly up to 3 other people, even in a small shop. I lived in england for 4 years and hung out a lot around the rally scene in lancashire and in regular conversation with english people when we used the term "mechanic" it was never synonymous with either garage or business owner.

Hell even hanging around my friend's shop, the term mechanic was always used in reference specifically to someone who repairs machinery and never the business owner.

In reference to simon he was a shop owner nevermind the fact that he worked on vehicles himself. In reference to Gary, he was a mechanic that worked for Simon.

So i don't know where your terminology comes from, m8.
>>
>>1057367
ALL flat rape is shit, and nearly every brand of dealership is shit unless you can get a cushy salary at a high end luxury dealer. Just stay away man, im dead serious
>>
>>1057182
First ask yourself

What skills do you have
What stuff do you like/love to do
How much blood sweat and beers are you going to put into it

I know a mechanic that started out changing oil at a big car dealer. He's now in charge of the whole shop. Making some serious bucks too.

Plumbing and electrical suck because of the apprenticeship. Your gonna be someones nigger for three years before getting your professional license. And there are tests. Serious tests for standards and regulations.

Carpentry sucks because you are depending on the housing market.

Aircraft mechanic (like auto) depends on where you live.

Welding you can learn at a votech, but you are better off starting as a newb at a good shop.

Trucking... well, as long as you aren't a felon and have a decent driving record it's ok.

As with all.. how much you make depends on how hard you work to get ahead in that field. No such thing as a free lunch M8.

I did locksmithing and some roofing/carpentry while going through college for a engineering degree. Now I keep my chair warm and pull down a good six figures.
>>
>>1057421
Agreed, if you can install renewable stuff in the next few years. You can also run a small business installing solar/wind/Geo stuff when more people start retiring and going off grid
>>
it doesnt matter where either of you lived

mechanic is a skilled trade, they are licensed and trained to fix cars. their time is billed by the hour

shop owners are management. they wear the tits and its just like any other slut management job.

being an owner and a mechanic is not mutually exclusive but they are not the same

and why the fuck in the world would the auto mechanic trade be dying? its not dying. but it is getting shittier and shittier with these new fucking computer cars and places like walmart opening up garages and undercutting everyone while paying their techs minimum wage

that being said, a good trade to get into is one thats not physically demanding and wont kill your body by the time your 40

mechanic/millwright will bust your ass by then

a metal working trade like tool and die /cnc/moldmaking is highly skilled and little wear on the body as well as good pay. locksmithing is another good one like that.
>>
How difficult is it generally for someone to become an apprentice electrician?

19 yr WA state here, I took a good number of math classes in hs and got decent grades on them all.

I've been mulling over an apprenticeship, but I'm worried it might be difficult to attain one.

Any info?
>>
>>1057529
google.
Every state is different.
>>
>>1057182
You listed pay first, so I assume that's the most important thing to you. Nothing wrong with wanting to be paid well, but going into a trade for the money is kind of like becoming a cop for the money: you're not going to make enough to make it feel worth it or feel validated. You're probably going to feel dissatisfied for most of your career if money is the biggest factor for you.

I work with computers all day, not programming, just patching and shit. Filing paperwork or whatever. Easy. I make 65k per year. Not great for NoVA, but pretty good compared to what I used to make. I don't have a degree and don't plan on wasting my time and money struggling to get one. If you're not a complete retard, you could probably pretty easily find something to do in tech.

If you want to make a boatload of money, go into the Stock Market. Commodities Trading traditionally doesn't require a degree and often makes 100k or more per year, but that's been fading fast and open outcry is all but dead. You can also get fucked and lose everything in one day too. There are tons of safer options for working with the stock market, but they often require advanced degrees and you have to work with assholes all day.

The "best trade" is the one that gives you the best feeling when you complete a project. It gets my dick hard when I build a table I can put shit on, or in, without it breaking. I sexually identify as a tablesaw and love shoving fresh lumber in between my blades on the daily. I'm an amateur woodworker and hope to someday make it my main source of (any) income doing it. It's not easy and the pay will probably be far less than I would like, but I genuinely enjoy doing it.

Which trade do you think it would almost feel wrong to get paid to do because its so fun or easy for you? That's the one that you should chose. It's okay if you don't know, or if none of them make you feel that way. Just keep trying new trades and you'll find something that fits.
>>
File: worried laughter.png (514KB, 520x678px) Image search: [Google]
worried laughter.png
514KB, 520x678px
>>1057444
>>1057290
Sorry, I admit that was unclear.

There will be much less cars soon because everyone will be ubering self driving cars. Much fewer people will own cars, there will be less maintenance to do. The value of the trade will go down sharply.

>Self driving cars will be awesome but will wreck the economy for several years
>>
>>1057251
this
>>
>>1057502
It comes from another part of the country mate. Tricky concept for some. I'm talking about how I've understood it to be from my own experience.

Regardless. If you're not making any least decent enough money you're doing something wrong. I do know people who are mechanics who turn up to a shop as you put it and still make brilliant money.
>>
>>1057182
a good life is impossible.

kill youself
>>
>>1057182
Plumbing is relatively well paid, you will suffer for it though!
Heavy vehicle and plant mechanics can also drag in some big money, but the work is extremely hard, often hazardous and sometimes not very fun dealing with cantankerous diesels.
Electrical still gets a lot of areas where installation contracting is very much in demand, though it has its ups and downs.
Vehicle operators- backhoe, bulldozer, forklifts, trucks etc, some areas they can drag in some big money as there's not a lot of them as you'd think with the qualifications

Often you'll find the big money is usually in areas other people nope-out of, I did a bit of electrical engineering after I left the military which paid quite well because no one else was mad enough to work in mining industries in some backwater country. Once you're married and comfy though it takes a bit of winkling to want to go work in some backwater shithole.
>>
>>1057613
Oh I will add: Rigging
If you have little fear of heights and like lifting heavy things, some of the highly qualified riggers get a lot of money- mostly because no one wants to clamber around a tower full of rad-hazard zones at 3am or dangle off the side of a building with nothing more than a safety rope manhandling some lump of iron or equipment.
>>
>>1057605
I live in utah, which is a chummy little state in murrika, and i see shops go up and down all the time.
At least here, its really difficult to convince the average joe to ignore the big name franchised shops like aamco, jiffy lube, etc with big fancy signs, radio ads, and regularly remodeled waiting areas with free popcorn. Especially when your "little guy" shop is going to no doubt be repurposed from another small, "ugly" shop that just went under months earlier for all the same reasons yours is doomed.
Im sure its a different story in many other areas, but for the most part youre always in an uphill battle with the big guys here in the states.
>>
>>1057197
What am I looking at here?
>>
>>1057605

So where you come from a mechanic is generally a shop owner?

And of course you can make decent money in any field, but first we need to determine what "decent" is.

Decent to one guy may not be decent to another.
>>
watchmaking is pretty comfy

finger dexterity, eyesight, and patience are required, as is a general understanding of the way things work mechanically.

two years school (SAWTA in the states, WOSTEP in europe). $40-50k USD starting. most of the day is spent sitting, most jobs are located in major urban centers
>>
Crane and backhoe operators can make bretty gud doe
>>
>>1057251
>not as dangerous

as an electrical lineman I am calling bullshit, unless you mean underwater welding

just the other day some poor son of a bitch apprentice got killed because he caught some 12kv across his back in the air, and he died badly
>>
>>1057182
most money? dangerous jobs with high risk of geting killed, or end up like vegetable,
health risk etc.
jobs that need hig grade of specialization or/and education
or
beying a lucky retard
>>
If you're talking regular trades Electrician is the highest paid. Second is plumber by a tiny amount (they're within 1k of each other) basically same pay for all intents and purposes. Then is HVAC. Then is mason. Then it's carpentry.

Everyone always says welding which is largely a meme. You can make serious money with welding but you need to be: good, certified, and in a good location or mobile. If you're doing hyperbaric welding or welding in the oil fields, you make good money. If you're welding in a fucking assembly shop, you're making like $15/hr.
>>
>>1059514
Now if you want non traditional jobs.

Elevator construction and repair.
Stationary engineer.
Riggers
Tower Jockies
Lumberjacks
Oil Rigs
Truck Driver
Mechanics (especially diesel)

All those wages vary and some are pretty dangerous. All pay better than the average American wage.

As a couple of examples. My cousin is a diesel mechanic in the oil fields. He drives a big truck and trailer around and fixes the machinery. His base pay is like 45k/yr but he works 80 hour weeks and gets extras like fuel allowance, tool allowance, and a living stipend. He lucks out because he just lives out of the truck. Makes over 100k/yr, probably closer to 150k.

A family friend works seasonal on an offshore oil platform off the coast of Alaska. He makes 75k/yr and only works 6 months of the year. Plus when you work offshore there is nothing to spend money on. His only expenses are basically his bills back home and some over priced junk at their little store. Probably saves close to 90% of his checks. Plus he also has his CDL and drives a semi to and from Alaska on his way to and from each year. Which pays a good chunk of change for just one load from the midwest.
>>
>>1057197
350k easy down here in the gulf
>>
>>1059520
>Elevator construction and repair.
>Stationary engineer.
>Riggers
>Tower Jockies
>Lumberjacks
>Oil Rigs
>Truck Driver
>Mechanics (especially diesel)
none of these are possible to get into without nepotism
>>
>>1057182
Plumbing can be 70-100k
Dot road guys get 150k+
Blasting, sand, Corn cobb, etc, 100k+

But. .. You don't have a life. You work 8 days a week
>>
There is a shortage of morticians, no idea what it pays tho, I'd imagine it's pretty good
>>
>>1059520
Elevator repair is fucking huge in Canada, the next five years there is going to be massive hires because the old cunts that are doing it are retiring. My brother and I own a elevator and escalator repair company and at our growth rate we expect to hire 30 people in the next 2 years.
>>
Irrigation for the water company. They make bank inspecting the trades work
>>
What about tiling?
>>
>>1057194
Plumber here.
Love what i do
>>
>>1057182
be a controls electrician- theyre fancy prima donnas
>>
File: 1446502333314.gif (2MB, 164x275px) Image search: [Google]
1446502333314.gif
2MB, 164x275px
>>1059799
You're full of shit

Literally
>>
File: 17.png (10KB, 408x286px) Image search: [Google]
17.png
10KB, 408x286px
>>1059614
Fo rizzle?
>>
>>1059909
Oh god that is the fucked up lol
>>
>>1059448
Looks like a server closet that flooded
>>
>>1057274
Diesel tech.fuck automotive.
>>
Freight broker... except only with experience and a knack for it.
>>
But it can get frustrating. Had a guy on a load, they picked it up and then at 5:15pm on friday night the dispatcher called in and told me the driver couldn't driver at night, so they would be late to the delivery. Apparently the driver couldn't see that well and was legally not allowed to drive at night. It's just like wtf, why did you tell us you could make the appointments when you accepted the load and then fuck us over after you pick it up.
>>
Industrial engineer/machinist. Be the guy that knows all about machines and can fix anything and be willing to travel the globe. There are so many heavy industrial plants in the planet and they all need repairs at one point or another. Many of those plants have old machines that they're struggling to keep running rather than replacing.

Check out the YouTube channel "AvE" this crazy hoser is some sort of traveling industrial mechanic/machinist and makes bank. He'll travel to wherever and be in the job for a couple weeks then goes home and enjoys his life until the next job comes up.

Plus his channel is just brilliant and hilarious: youtube "AvE"
>>
>>1057182
marine engineer. The type that has a coast guards license
>>
It depends on where you are located. Southwest Louisiana has a high demand for welders. The pay is $30-$40/hour plus $125/day perdiem
>>
>>1057500
Taxi drivers are this generations milk men.
>>
>>1059770
Yeh buddy.
>>
>>1059659
>none of these are possible to get into without nepotism
The fuck?
>>Elevator construction and repair.
You're probably right on this one.
>>Stationary engineer.
Get a boiler's license. Test is easy as fuck to pass. To move up to higher levels work as a custodian at a large facility.
>>Riggers
Start out doing the grunt work like any job.
>>Tower Jockies
To get this job you show up. Seriously. Climbing cell and radio towers is the most deadly job in the US. You don't need a high school education. You can be a convicted felon. The only thing you can't be is afraid of heights.
>>Lumberjacks
This is one of the most deadly jobs in the US. You don't need a high school education. You can be a convicted felon. The only thing you can't be is afraid of beavers.
>>Oil Rigs
Yeah, you got me here unless you have skills that are needed.
>>Truck Driver
Truck driver is one of the most common job titles in the US. Once you have a CDL, you have work.
>>Mechanics (especially diesel)
Get some real schooling and you're set.
>>
>>1060165
>>>Tower jockies

Ymmv, but around here its a great job if you can get hired. Low volume so not a huge amount of workers needed, decent retention (most guys last 8-10 years barring accidents) and high pay make it pretty cutthroat.

When you consider most tower jocks down here (Florida) get 250-300 just for showing up on site, another 100-200 if they actually have to climb, 0.45-2.00 per foot, then pay on top for any work they actually do up there, its a pretty damn good racket.

The downsides, many companies that hire climbers hand out jobs on a bounty like system. Whoever shows up and gets the work done first gets the cash.

Travel travel travel. For every hour you spend climbing, you will spend at least an hour driving. Most of the time, its on your gas and insurance. If you have a big climb and a long trip, expect to pay for a hotel.
You have to pay your own ground man. You absolutely need a ground man. Not so much for safety or in the event of a dropped tool, moreso because...

Douchebag climbers/onlookers are a thing, and they get nasty. If they show up to a climb that you're already on, expect to have your shit stolen or vandalized at the least. Worst case scenario they'll take a shot at you, or fuck with any safety gear they can reach hoping you'll fall or be otherwise unable to make the climb. Physical altercations do happen.

I climbed for a year, just changing bulbs/fuses, inspecting trusses and wires , occasional painting, and cleaning dishes and antennas. Averaged about 1100-2200 per climb, each tower took about 12 easy hours from the moment I got out of the truck to the moment I called it in as done.

Other hazards besides the obvious falls are lightning/storms, parasites and disease from all the unavoidable bird shit you're always covered in after a climb...

Tbc...
>>
>>1057465
That and you have to be willing to suck a lot of dick and step on a bunch of necks to make good money at somone elses company, or go into business for yourself and have an iron clad escape plan when shit goes south.
>>
>>1059666
It's actually pretty good if you're not squeamish and you're just heartless enough to see humans as meat and dollar signs.

The average funeral here in the states costs anywhere from 5-10k. All together, an honest funal home only spends about 9-1200 on a funeral. Most of that goes to uncle samir for environmental bs.

That coffin your grandma paid 2 grand for? Funeral home bought it for 400. Again, assuming the parlour is honest and didn't give you a recycled coffin.
>>
>>1060351
Continued...

Other hazards: electrocution because a squirrel or coon chewed through a high voltage line and you didn't notice, random bird attacks because you got too close to a roost or a nest, slipping on the aforementioned bird shit and getting stuck/hung up for days at a time, getting cooked by a high watt antenna, heat stroke from working between three high watt antennas for three hours because the last guy that was up there sabotaged the shit out of everything to make sure nobody else could work on "his" tower.

Seriously, this mother fucker left booby traps...
>>
>>1057182
what country are you in? that makes a big difference.
>>
where I am sparky, locksmith or gunsmith pay the best. Sparky's and locksmiths and a three year apprenticeship and I think gunsmith is still a four year
>>
>>1059498
I did mean underwater welding, I wasn't clear.
>>
>>1059498
I only go up to phone shit, but it seems pretty simple to not get killed, you just really need to pay attention to safety all the time, and if something isn't safe, don't just go 'meh, I've done something almost this bad before'
>>
>>1060412
>Where I am
>Gunsmith pays best
>4 year program

Where in the hell are you, the Land of Imagination?
>>
>>1060422
Oz. The only way to become a qualified gunsmith over here is through the army. Then once your out, there is only a very limited number of licences per state. Usually getting paid $40p/h or higher
>>
>>1060407
How does one find a job in this field? Is there like an agency I can go through or what?
>>
I got into computer repair and switching into networking. How fucked am I?
18 as well, just got my A+ last month.
>>
>>1060999

That heat really gets to you guys out there, huh?
>>
Plumbing and.electrical pay the best. Plumbing isn't as bad as most people say.

We subbed out a job to a guy for 2500. He was done in 2 days and maybe 500 max in materials.

That's a lotof cake.
>>
>>1057541
Don't listen to this guy. You can get into virtually any trade and start your own business earning 3 or 4 times what this desk jockey makes within 3 or 4 years of getting your tickets. He's probably been brought up being told that tradesmen don't make much, like I was told. That's bullshit. Working for someone else you likely make 80+ and self employed make way more so long as you're good with people and willing to put in a lot of hours the first few years.
>>
IIRC Elevator Repair Technician was the highest paying trade in the U.S in 2014.
>>
What do you guys think of HVAC?
>>
>>1061501

Did the same thing, now I'm a network engineer (no certs or degrees) making 50k
>>
>>1057502
You're wrong, the guy from the UK is correct.

Source - britbong
>>
>>1061542
I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking about a job in the HVAC industry, but ive only even seen it mentioned twicd in this thread. Is it that its so bad that its not even a contendor for the top trade, or what?
>>
>>1061582
It's a healthy earning career but it's important to get your gas fitters seal as well. You make way more.and ita not hard to get.

I know a guy who started as HVAC with his gas seal and all he does is gas now. He makes big bank doing it in residential homes. People get weirded out with gas so they was someone with the certs(therefore they charge up the ass) even though it's easy as fuck.
>>
>>1061610
Thats really helpful! Ive never even heard of a gas fitter desu, but i will look into it. Most sites that i see seem to suggest that the gas fitting would go hand in hand with plumbing however. Could you tell me why it works so well with HVAC?
>>
>>1060365
what the fuck please continue with more stories
>>
File: 1453787832341.jpg (16KB, 475x289px) Image search: [Google]
1453787832341.jpg
16KB, 475x289px
>>1061526
I've killed myself for a desk job and am killing myself to keep it for $55k USD.

I dream of being a carpenter or actually doing work with a bud. Please tell me I should make the leap.
>>
>>1061740
Just play with it as a hobby for a while with one of your buds on the weekends bro. Maybe sell some of the shit you make on craigslist or something, see how it goes. Im new to this board, and i dont really know anything about trades. But i do know that if you like to build shit then you should do it man. And if people buy your products then it can easily evolve into a full time job. Its not an all or nothing deal.
>>
>>1061614
Gas furnaces. gas furnaces are some technician's bread and butter in the winter when nobody needs any work on their AC. I'm almost out of HVAC school and just got fired from a job doing install work for being to inexperienced, was kind of soured by the whole thing but I think it was just a bad company for a new guy to work for just by what everyone was saying desu. service work is where you want to be or some sort of deal with commercial work would be ideal. don't get into this trade for install work. it's a stepping stone and very hard with little pay.
>>
>>1057368
Yes they are you dummy
>>
>>1057453
>sparkies
>never out of work

Lmao

2009 would like a word
>>
File: here we go ..jpg (31KB, 624x416px) Image search: [Google]
here we go ..jpg
31KB, 624x416px
join the army !!
>>
>>1057529
Get on at Boeing for whatever job and then apply for the electrician apprenticeship. At least, such a thing is offered on my site and we are a much smaller one compared to any of the ones in WA. You get state certified in completion. Now THAT is a credential that is worth something. Especially if you're want to start your own business.
>>
>>1060365

You just can't leave us like that anon; How the hell do you boobytrap a radio tower?
>>
>>1057541
Most of the cops in my one horse town make north of 100k with o'time included.
>>
I am an electrical apprentice and am very happy with what I do for a living. Currently at $17.35/hr with plenty of overtime. Find a good nonunion company to work for and stick with them. I qualify to take the journeyman's test but it has been so long since classwork I need to brush up on certain sections of the code and transfer my 2011 notes to my 2014 NEC. Only downside is there are some days a shovel is your go to tool and the weather can be uncooperative.
>>
>>1061899
>join the army !!

FUCK THAT! Join the Air Force.
>>
File: 1475122865710.png (87KB, 304x314px) Image search: [Google]
1475122865710.png
87KB, 304x314px
Have you tried suicide? I think that might work great for someone just out of high achool
>>
>>1063118
Cant say that i have any tips ?
>>
Union steamfag here
Go Union if you have them around. Just do it. Non Union is a crap shoot

The big three:
Electrician - Very strong Union. One of the last. Great job, good education, many facets to it.

Sheet metal - Decent Union. Tons of work. Easy as fuck. Many aspects to it. Production, mechanical design, installation, service and controls, air balance.

Plumbers/steam fitters- Clearly the best one. Steamfitters dicks can be seen from space and can be used as cranes. All jokes aside, another great trade. Tons of facets. Tons of welding if that's your thing, pipe is one of the hardest things to learn to weld so our cents are pretty highly regarded industrially. 3D design if you want an office job, that's what I am currently doing after 12 years in the field. Shop fabrication work, field work, controls, water balancing, the list goes one.

Where I live all these jobs pays over 100k a year if you aren't a jack ass who can't keep a job. I made 150k the last two years. Great benefits, defined pensions, 401k with employer contribution, medical and dental, and a FREE education while you apprentice. The course count as college elective credit.

Look around and apply to all 3. Elevator erectors are good too but you have to travel all over your state.
>>
>>1057182
>What trade pays the most ?

Crime
>>
>>1063909
crime pays for shit. overhead is crazy, cop payoffs, suppliers, lawyers, offshore accounts, accountants so you don't get hit for tax fraud, payoffs to accountants who are now blackmailing you, hitman, payoffs to mob boss who is blackmailing you, arms dealer, mercenaries, hospital bills, prison guard bribes, and you can't even deduct anything other than cost of product on your taxes.
>>
>>1062416
>>Join the air force

Fuck that, join the US
Marine Corps! Best trade evah: killing in the name of
>>
>>1061899
>>1062416
>>1064262
>being a welfare queen
>a trade

Please leave.
>>
>>1059452
who the hell uses a watch still?
>>
>>1064299
People who have more money than common sense.
>>
>>1057356
Everyone thinks that they can just jump into welding as if it's nothing. That shit takes years of experience and schooling. Generally you'll begin at 12-16 per hr. and extreme labor. You'll stay with that wage a few years. Luckily I'm almost past it.
>>
>>1057356
Not every welder's a hotshot pipeliner.
There were a few guys in my group at welding school who arrived all high and mighty about being future six figure tradesmen, most of them didn't even last a month.
>>
I am thinking about joining the ironworkers union in new England. My grandpa was a union ironworker in Oakland. Would that help me join? Any ironworkers here that can tell me if this is a good/bad idea?
>>
>>1064392
Ironworkers are pretty badass.
I'd probably do that if I wasn't such a pussy with heights.
>>
>>1057319
air traffic pays nothing special. friend does it.
>>
>>1057182
As I just graduated myself, I joined an electrician apprenticeship with the IBEW. Personally, I think what I'm learning is interesting, but it involves a lot of manual labor. Also, it's an apprenticeship, so you would be somebody's bitch basically until you become a journeyman.
I really was just using it for work experience to look better for the job I am about to start. Soon I will enter the IUEC, which is the elevator and escalator trade. Supposedly, the best trade in the state I live GA, as far as benefits go. Still an apprenticeship, but starting pay is significantly higher.
>>
>>1059514
I'm doing HVAC at the moment in the UK and the only people who seem to make decent money are the company owners and directors.

Plus HVAC is boring as shit, you're either standing around all day waiting for the unit to vac down to 2 Torr or you're being run ragged throwing up pipes into ceiling voids trying to get all your work done so you don't hold up other tradesmen.

Only join if you can land a job at a decent well known company cos otherwise you'll end up with the work all the big companies turn down like food factories and office conversions and the like.
>>
>>1061885
Other HVAC guy here, Install work is fucking shit anyway, you're not missing out on anything but i can sympathise with you.

I got thrown in at the deep end straight out of college and knew nothing about HVAC as the college was just for an F-GAS license and covered no practical work, it's hard finding a decent company and after 4 years I'm pretty much done with HVAC in general. It's hard,boring and the level of work you have to do compared to other trades is ridiculous. HVAC will never be the 1# trade as the money/work ratio can't beat the likes of electricians and plumbers.

The office design fitters make more bank than us for laying down carpets, install plug sockets and performing basic wall plaster jobs like filling, Personally I feel that i got into the wrong trade completely and if i could do it again i would have been a welder or a mechanic
>>
>>1057319
Air traffic is severely overworked, and pilots actually make shit for money. The only reason 90% of pilots do it is because they love to fly.
>>
>>1061899
Takes a very specific type of person to make it 20 years.
That pension, tho
>>
>>1059614
Not really.

Source: MCSA
>>
>>1065908
If you dont like shitty work/pay ratios dont be a mechanic
>>
>>1057182
Elevator inspectors. Good luck finding a job though, no one quits.
>>
>>1059448
A literal death trap.
>>
>>1066859
The key to being a mechanic is owning your own shop.
>>
>>1064268

I nearly joined the RAF as an avionics technician, though I chose to stay civ because I at least now have a life.

I am sure that upon leaving I would have had some skills to make me desirable.
>>
>>1064299
>>1064300

I used to use my phone as a watch. But ever since I got gifted a watch I realize how much superior a watch right there on your wrist is.

>cramped in some hole fumbling to get your phone out vs looking at your wrist
>on a power boat flying off the crests fumbling to get your phone out vs looking at your wrist
>hanging off the back of a truck fumbling to get your phone out vs looking at your wrist
>digging a hole with mud all over the place fumbling to get your dirty hands in your pocket vs looking at your wrist

List is endless
>>
>>1066900

Owning you own HVAC company is better again.
>>
Industrial electricians make way better money than residential. Just so y'all know.
>>
>>1062348
Why non-union? You'd get paid more. Strikes are very rare if that's your worry.
>>
>>1067572
>you'd get paid more
Objectively not true. You may earn about the same if you factor in retirement and health benefits, but dollar per dollar of take-home pay you'll make more as non-union and you'll progress a lot faster if you don't suck balls at your job. The only perk to being union is taking lots of breaks and literally never getting fired for sucking ass at everything and being a lazy shit.
>>
File: pic.jpg (97KB, 571x689px) Image search: [Google]
pic.jpg
97KB, 571x689px
>>1064392

ironworker here. im in AZ so no experience with working unions, but if you have any questions feel free to ask.
>>
>>1057182
Hooking
>>
>>1057200
We'll duh ya knob you have to swim into it
>>
>>1059614
Yeah but you have to be in the gulf.. that's like the literal taint of the ocean...
>>
>>1065927
Got a buddy who just finished his 20 in the military, he was an engineer in the rear with the gear for the most part, never got married and saved a shit ton of money over the years, he's buying a small spread out in Montana, place is so remote it's like a two hour drive to buy milk!
>>
>>1061542
Great job if you lack social skills or just want to lose friends and alienate people
>>
>>1059498
f-f-fuck Im a residential construction apprentice that wants to get into electrical but these stories nope me the fuck out. 'Just be safe at all times' doesnt help either. the fuck does that mean? what in the shit did that guy do that was unsafe? fak
>>
>>1067770
>what in the shit did that guy do that was unsafe?

being unaware or having bad instincts. the saying goes "there is no such thing as an old dumb lineman."
>>
>>1067576
Hmm, I guess it's pretty different than in the machining field. Here, union makes more money by far unless you own your own business.
>>
>>1061542
air con - cowboys
refrigeration - ching ching muthafucka, made 129k last yr
>>
Any Calgarians or other Albertans here that are plumbers? Was thinking of getting into the field, probably service side. Seems interesting, pays great, and job security (service side anyway). Yeah sure you deal with peoples shit but apparently journeymen here make 35+ an hour.
>>
>>1057415
By that logic, physician is a trade. You're fucking stupid.

Keep with the blue collar, ass crack, and terminal ignorance.
>>
>>1057200
Actually I've known Someone who graduated from an advanced welding program at Job Corps and went straight into an underwater welding job.
>>
>>1067571

They also get to play with cooler toys and the work generally is not as "tedious"
>>
Elevator trade. 2 brothers in the trade both make over 150k. Start as an elevator mechanic then work up to adjuster. Need to be in a major construction market, though. Los Angeles, Las Vegas...
>>
Currently in a Job Corps pre-apprenticeship program for plumbing. The structure is a massive joke and they make most people live and stay on campus during the week, but hey it's free, free food, $23 every two weeks and it's not the worst. Can't smoke either.
I just want to go to college already and work fast-food to support myself instead of construction or repairs/installations because it's so unorganized and underfunded.
Thought it would be worth it to work in a trade while majoring in nursing but Jesus it's slow here.
>>
impossible to spend 350k before you die or get blamed for deepwater horizon and sued.
>>
>>1067712
How strong you have to be to be an ironworker?
>>
>>1068146
In my state there are literally 10-20 elevator men in employment at a time
>>
>>1066908
so watches are superior if you're an illegal alien that was smuggled into the country and takes shit-shoveling jobs from whoever shows up at the home depot parking lot. got it.
>>
>>1067712
>working on the surface of the sun

why?
>>
>>1068275

Or if you do anything/diy/ worthy.

But you wouldnt know what it is like to leave your burger flipping job to shitpost while on break or at your mothers house
>>
>>1057382
>Can confirm carpentry is fun as hell, you won't make the big bucks. But I have a blast going in everyday.
I worked carpetntry for 10 years and it is not always fun. Very few carpenter jobs are good. Be careful, think twice. Can you handle all day in the heat working your ass off for $15 an hour? If not don't go into carpentry.
>>
>>1068678
>Or if you do anything/diy/ worthy.
Try showing up to a work site or a shop wearing jewelry of any kind and we'll see.
>>
File: 20160822_070553.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160822_070553.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1068757
>not being a union carpenter

I make 30 an hour plus bennys
>>
>>1067712
>in AZ

Awwh yeah, nothing beats 10 hour days, 6 days a week in 100+ weather amirite?

>>1068672
Wearing a good, full brimmed hat (or hard hat if necessary) and an undershirt makes all the difference. After awhile your body adapts and you hardly notice it as long as you're putting fluids in your body.
>>
>>1065927
You doing it wrong
>three year active duty enlistment, to get that post 9-11 GI Bill. Pick a MOS with an actual skill like medical or computer networking.
>transfer to the reserves/guard. File for a VA rating. 50%= 1,000month for life. 100%=3,000 but might get you med boarded.
>permanent profile so you're on deployable
>get out or stay in for 17 years, collect pension at 60 years old plus the 3,000/month
>work medical/computer job that govt paid you to train in.

And that's how I became annotate without ever going to college, still have a full ride to college for 4 years if I want, medical insurance for my family, and basically have a pension at 30 years old
>>
>>1068933
Nurse, not annotate. Wtf phone?
>>
>>1068799

Not him but it beats anything cold.
>>
>>1068766

>Try showing up to a work site or a shop wearing jewelry of any kind and we'll see.

I do. For the last 14 years I have and have never had an issue. In the shop i take it off for the obvious reasons but then we have a shop clock so no one needs one in there

That said. A jobsite isnt /diy/. You are getting paid to be there and perform.

>watch
>jewelry

You are looking at the wrong watches.

Talking about jewelry, I don't even wear my wedding ring because it is too easy to forget on.
>>
Get yourself a menial in home service job and sell dick and marijuana to lonely housewives. You'll make a killing.
>>
>>1067571
>>1068141
Never go residential. Their demands are higher, always reacting to every little detail.
I would totally understand it too, if that was what they were paying for, but the prices for jobs are always pushed to the lowest of low. Its because people always goes for the cheapest work, so that where you get work now. The customer still feel they payed for premium service and telling them they are wrong is a fucking minefield its best to stay out of.

In a nutshell, you have to work faster, leave a better result, you get payed less in the end, and you get to be the customers bitch too.

The only ones that make it work are bordline con-men who get payed in hidden or extra fee's. Customers love that obviously.
>>
File: 20150721_150148.jpg (1MB, 2612x1959px) Image search: [Google]
20150721_150148.jpg
1MB, 2612x1959px
>>1069014
this so much for any trade

I could frame houses for 14$ an hour or do fuck easy work. theres a reason you dont see much union residential because its shit work and you always gotta worry about getting paid or not

pic related I built this cabelas from the footers to the end. in the picture I just finished all the wood on the exterior
>>
>>1068945
>You are looking at the wrong watches.
I meant jewelry more as in "thing you wear that you don't need and that can get you seriously injured/killed".
Obviously it depends a lot on what tools and machines you use.
>>
>>1060088
>>1060091
It's easier bargaining about being late once your guy is loaded up and on his way :)
>>
>>1059448

a fan that kept running through a flood

the motor controller probably thinks it's a nuclear holocaust or something
>>
>>1057200
Don't know about the situation in other countries but here you definitely will.
>>
>>1057200

The mean value theorem states that at some point between the power plant and the server closet, the power has to be above water. Why can't you just kill the electricity and let the janitor take care of it?
>>
>>1057274

My 60 year old engine overhaul said if you wanted to be a grease monkey to get into electrical diagnostics and this was four years ago.

He was on the money with all new cars being full of nothing but electrical shit that is just waiting to short out.
>>
>>1057182
stone carver
>>
>>1069235

>Obviously it depends a lot on what tools and machines you use.

Right. There are many variables in life. Sometimes having a watch is an advantage so there are people who still wear them.

Though desu I will admit that a watch that you send to a watch maker for repairs will be definitely a piece of jewelry. It has to be, to justify the expense.
>>
>>1069352

>this was four years ago.

His theory was apparent in the late 80's and obvious by the mid 90's.

If he or even you only realized this 4 years ago then ya'll were really late to the game.
>>
>>1057182
If you like trouble shooting and repairing complex machinery. Commercial HVAC/R- Appliance repair is awesome. In MN. 2yrs school. Was making $26hr right outta school, 3 years later, at $32. Raise every year. As many hours as I want.
>>
Computer science lol
>>
Was lurking through this thread last night and decided to apply for my local plumbing union. I believe I'll have to brush up on some basic algebra. Anybody know what I should focus on to pass the test?
>>
>>1057182
The answer is boilermaker
>>
Carpenter is good or Pipefitters because of diverse fields withen these trades .

In NY or NJ theres a need for Shade or blind installers believe it or not. This falls in line as a specialized Carpenter.
>>
File: IMG_0281.png (512KB, 8586x5512px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0281.png
512KB, 8586x5512px
>>1071045
>>
>>1071045
>Shade or blind installers
d-do people really not just do it themselves? its' not like they're heavy or precise things
>>
>>1060096
Love AvE beyond comprehension
>>
Peak money:
Good welders make a heaps. But they work bloody hard, it's physically brutal, extremely competitive, and if you don't cut the mustard you'll be on peanuts. Depending on your personality welders are often thuggish and love substance abuse.

Safe bet:
Industrial electricians. If you're motivated and fairly intelligent you will be working in comfy climate controlled switchboard rooms and control rooms making everything work.
>>
>>1060096
What is his actual field of expertise. He's an incredibly knowledgable dude for sure but he's a bit rough on the machines to be a formally trained machinist. I was thinking maybe mech engineer who has been in the field forever.
>>
>>1057225
Then a manta ray swims by and pulls you off the bottom via your lifeline and you die from the sudden pressure change
>>
>>1057424
Masonry is one of the highest paid if you run the company. It's also the coolest trade imo because after 40 years of it you can drive around and pick out all the stuff you've built. If you passed it on to your children, soon an entire city is built by your family.
>>
>>1057182
pstt. work on business
>>
>>1071833

>i watch too many movies
>>
>>1071833
more like
>get sent to work on power plant water intake
>get sucked through a 6 inch hole

hundreds of divers die a year by clearing blockages and getting sucked in
>>
>>1071935
The guy that welded the mounts for the engine on the drift net boat I was working on told my captain and me about his buddy that that happened to in the gulf.
>>
Im going to my local community college for a technical degree.

Does anyone have any insight on a mechatronics engineering degree?
Its only a matter of time until we start manufacturing using robots here in the USA right?

Or what about a generalized machine tool degree, learning how to CNC and other operations?

It sounds a whole lot more interesting to me, though I dont want to waste time and money to not get a job in the end.
>>
>>1073375
cnc would be the way to go. even if everything is automated it will still be done through cnc
>>
>>1065912
When you first become licensed pilots make shit money as co-pilot, and are usually on that shit money until they become chief captain years down the line when it can often become close to (or exceeding depending on performance and experience) 6-figure salaries. Becoming a pilot was once an aspiration of mine, so I checked it all out in detail a few years ago, could be out of date information by now though I guess.

>>1061580
But he's not wrong. A mechanic is somebody who services machinery, the business owner could also be the main mechanic, or the business owner could be a 40 year old woman who doesn't know shit (talking about somebody I know).

Source: also a britbong, lancashire.
>>
>>1071969

I dont believe that.

Blockages to pumps we usually turn off the pump because they actually start cavitating and royally fuck themselves.

>hurr power plants have to keep going

Doesnt make sense when you are already cooking and leaving everything just fucks things up more and you risk loosing everything
>>
>>1073483
the grate does not need to be blocked to need maintenance. things let welding new mounts or other work around the intakes
they may shut down one intake while working on the other. confusion can happen in the murky water

I was also stating that getting sucked into a hole is one of the main killers of divers
>>
>>1073483
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dDu9wCjyRk
>>
>>1073483
>not knowing anything about Delta V this hard
>>
>>1073490

>Delta V

Differential vagina?

>sucks you right in

Lets market this new sex toy
>>
>>1073492
Not what I'm referring to, but I'm down.

I'll take 40%.
>>
>>1073488

Thanks for this

Setting up a business that requires moving a lot of water 24/7 and this will make a good safety video for our. Techs and divers
>>
>>1057182
gas plumbing 200+ an hour depending on location. add water plumbing for summer time when gas is used less.
>>
File: tumblr_ljgwllTpBi1qcml2co1_500.jpg (31KB, 500x359px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ljgwllTpBi1qcml2co1_500.jpg
31KB, 500x359px
>>1073488
>This kills the crab.
>>
>>1057356
Good welders make good money. Lots of guys go to school, work hard, practice, and are still shitty welders. Different than most trades.
>>
>>1073488
A boring video. But useful. I work as a diver.
>>
>>1057514
>blood sweat and beers
>>
>>1075014

James, go back to bed.
>>
For anybody here that can answer this: I have a contractor that wants me to sign a mutual release form.(I'm a carpenter) Is this just a way to make me pay for, say an error, like a messed up cut or what have you off topic I know but hopefully someone could help
>>
>>1075652

Read the form
>>
>>1075652
join the ubc and you wont have to deal with that shit
>>
Deep sea welding pays some mad docter cash but it has the highest death rate percentage
>>
>>1075814
black water diving also pays very good like diving in sewage tanks
>>
I saw it early in this thread, but I just need to make sure you see it, @OP.

DO. NOT. become an auto mechanic. Biggest waste of my time. Learn it as a hobby/for fun. DO NOT make a career out of it.
>>
I am considering going into underwater welding, but my main concern is how hard is it on the body? What are the long term effects? I know it's dangerous but does it shorten your life expectancy?
>>
>>1057182
If you want to get an associate's or B.Sc. in STEM, be a field service engineer for medical devices. Fun as shit plus you get to travel around a lot.
>>
I'm actually glad I became a welder but I really wish I wasn't a complete retard when it comes to math so I could've become an engineer of some sort.
>>
>>1057319
>>1057415
You sound like that faggot that works in the deli at walmart and lives in his in the parking lot.

He said the same god damn thing about how he was an air traffic controller in the army and that it was a trade.
>>
>>1075946
"lives in this car"
>>
>>1068112
Hiring for underwater welding has its ups and downs. Was up around 2012, is down right now. Can't find shit without prior experience right now, while just a few years ago companies were in a hiring rush AND footing the bill for certs.
>>
>>1075993

Thats probably because fracking was on the up.
>>
>>1059666
>>1060361

This made me wonder, could you make decent money owning a cemetery? Lots of people dying soon. Need good places to be dead.
>>
>>1064392
I know a guy in the iron workers union in Ontario Canada. Good pay, but hes in his mid 30's and his body is already giving out on him. you don't age well.
>>
>>1057504
Flat rate only sucks if you're lazy, stupid, or slow. Get better.
>>
>>1077947
yea right because dead days don't happen also implying management wont make you buff the floors or paint a door when its dead meaning youre working for free. flat rate is highway robbery. source master tech who got fed up and went into engineering
>>
>>1077962
Dead days I clean my tools, then watch Netflix on my tablet.

>Make you

I guess if you're some kind of bitch, sure. I don't do a god damn thing I'm not being paid for. Someone just needs a tire aired up outside? I'll point to the spot where the tire guys have their assure chuck and tell them to have at it.

But in reality, I have maybe 5 slow days a year. And those aren't hurting me because I work fast enough to put in 200 hours of work in a 40 hour week most of the time.
>>
>>1077975
Air chuck

God damnit
>>
>>1059799
Can confirm. I have a 3 day weekend every week. I work 4 ten hour shifts with great guys and great pay. Everyday is something new, not pinned down to an office all day.
>>
>>1075827
auto mechanic here can confirm. It never was a hobby of mine nor did I have any interest. Now I'm in my 2nd/ 3rd year apprenticeship and wish I was dead.

On another note I need some advice for a new career. Something along the lines of Watchmaker. I'm very meticulous and enjoy fine precise detail. Someone once suggested I work as a goldsmith or jeweler. [spoiler]but I'd rather not work with a bunch or jews[/spoiler]
>>
>>1077975
>turning 200 hours a week in 40 clock hours
>not doing what management tells you to do
>burning the lube and tire techs
I see you have decided to maintain the time honored stereotype of the mechanic who is full of shit
>>
>>1077987
What part is most difficult for you to deal with? That I'm good at my job? That I don't let my employer fuck me over? And really have no idea what you mean about burning the tire guys. By telling a customer it's okay to use their air chuck that the shop pays for? They don't care, they're just glad they don't have to stop working to fill someone's tire.
>>
>>1078005
Ah, so you're the faggot who cut a giant hole in the skidplate of my grandma's car because he was too lazy to take the time to remove three bolts.

>fast
>good
>cheap
You can only pick two, anon.
>>
>>1078012
I never said it was cheap.
>>
>>1078013
>flatrate
>not cheap
I keked
>>
>>1078015
I think 27.75 per hour is pretty high where I live. At 200+ hours a week I make enough to have whatever I want. But just keep projecting because you're too stupid, lazy, and slow to make flat rate work for you. Or just stop the damage control.
>>
>>1078017
Actually I'm a industrial engineer, I make an upwards of $50 to $70 per hour if you average it out as if I were working 40hrs per week.
In reality I get paid in the range of $100-$200 per hour on remote jobs, and about $50 per hour when I'm at home base.

I do all my own maintenance on my vehicles, and yes, flat rate is cheaper for the customer.

The whole idea of flat rate was to get prices lower so customers would be drawn in, and get a higher profit margin by fucking the techs.

I'm not >>1077987 by the way.
Remember son, you're on a anon image board.
>>
>>1078017
>I work flat rate
>I make xx.xx per hour
HAHAHAHHAH

anon, finish highschool before posting in a /diy/ trade thread.
>>
>>1078032
Are you retarded?
>>
>>1078017
>260,000 dollary doos a year as a mechanic
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
>>
>>1078017
>200+ hours a week

>>1078025
>100-200 p/h

/DIy constantly surprises me with the bullshit I read on it.
>>
>>1078103
You conveniently left out the "on remote jobs" part.
Most of the industrial engineering job sector is working on site in some 3rd world shithole dangerously just making things work because the oil companies are too cheap to do maintenance.

When I'm not in the ocean, Congo, or somewhere in Asia, I only make $50/hr
>>
>>1078118
Because it didn't make a bit of fucking difference you born liar.

There's work in another country and work in a remote shit hole. There are remote shit holes 40 miles from me in one direction and a major global city in the other. For an 'engineer', the way you describe your situation is pretty fucking poor.
>>
>>1078138
At least he understands what book hours are.
>>
I would suggest electrician. It pays great money and it is not as hard on your body as construction or welding. It isn't as smelly as being a plumber. Pretty good job security too.
>>
>>1078138
If I have to drive/fly/swim anymore than 30mi the job is considered "remote" and my payscale goes up considerably. "remote" is what's listed on my check.
110k-150k annually isn't all that inconceivable for an engineer who does a good job with a good company and has been for 10-15 years. Like I said, I rarely work a full 40hr work week since I specialize in making shit in a far off land just work. If you average it out I nominally make 50-70 per hour on average.

Don't project your failures on me just because you dropped out of high school to become a flat rate mechanic instead of going on to college.
>>
>>1078198
just graduated engineer here. i got a bunch of technical experience under my belt before i went back to school (diesel mechanic, general construction, project management/foreman type stuff)

where do i find those jobs that take me to the middle of fucking nowhere and pay fat stacks?

i will totally go to india/china/where ever for a year or so.
>>
>>1078211
That really depends on the specific field of engineering you're going into, as each field has massively different job markets.

I'm assuming you went industrial here.
I managed to get a hookup straight out of college with a friend who is pretty high up in the oil world.
Short of that you would need many more years of experience to even think of getting similar pay.

Everything else is (in a way) starting from nothing and working your way up as an engineer.
You may get lucky and get in with a company who doesn't mind paying a newb 80k starting, but it's rare.

One tip about the oil sector though, It's extremely competitive whenever gas prices drop. If you don't know a few people, or you aren't one of the best in the company, be prepared for layoffs.
The only way I got as far as I am and have had the same job is because I basically suck dick and take whatever they give me, no questions asked, do a good job, a fast job, and come back home.

I get paid so much because I can take under-budget jobs in the middle of the Sahara (making an extreme example, this didn't happen, yet) get it done well with the wrong tools and few materials in three days or less.
Basically I'm the guy they call when they need it done yesterday, and need it to work.

I really couldn't tell you much else about starting out now because I basically never even touched the job market.
>>
plumbing pays well and has good job security. if you don't mind touching shit then it's a good choice
>>
Does being an HVAC pay good? there's this trade school near me that supposedly specializes in it.
>>
An average nautical engineer will get 5000€/month in Belgium
>>
Work IT overseas. Relatively comfy work for tax-free pay. I'm making 150k with 102 federally exempt from taxes working in Afghanistan.
>>
36 years old guy. 14 in IT as SW Engineer... Salary percentile 90 in my country...
If you have skills for programming go to that..
Even if you have management skills go to IT management..
>>
If you are in USA you are young and you want to spent 10 years studing medicine you could get the double than IT people... but by the time you finish your career as a doctor you will realize people is more important than money..
>>
File: 1477937293606.png (242KB, 484x605px) Image search: [Google]
1477937293606.png
242KB, 484x605px
>>1060119
>plus $125/day perdiem

perdiem = per day

>125 per day per day
durp
>>
File: 1474635009600.jpg (53KB, 604x472px) Image search: [Google]
1474635009600.jpg
53KB, 604x472px
>>1073488
>square inches
>feet
>PSI/ft
jesus fucking christ, the imperial system is a fucking joke
>>
>>1057182
Sex work.
>>
File: vintageplumbing2.jpg (84KB, 736x426px) Image search: [Google]
vintageplumbing2.jpg
84KB, 736x426px
Become a Plumbarius, learn an ancient art that serves as the vanguard for the health and well-being of civilization. Use your above average IQ to surpass other shit-tier plumbers. Start a moderate business in an urban or suburban area, and proceed to make more money than any carpenter, mason, electrician, roofer, or lousy general contractor that you can think of. Plumbing master race, as per.
>>
>>1070229
Focus on simple pre-algebra. Fractions, conversions, decimals, ect. That's for getting your Journeyman's. Be able to read and follow a print. Be able to calculate fall of a pipe, volume, BTU's, required piping. Know fitting sizes too, research different fittings and different types of pipe. Look into soldering also.
>>
>>1077986
>I wish I was dead
Why though?
>>
>>1057251
I have a buddy who does this. He's not making much money and hates his job.
>>
>>1057274
Learn how to work on electric engines and electric cars

t. Time traveler from 2024
>>
>>1057182
depends where you live

either way, probably hvac or elevator tech
>>
>>1061582

http://www.pipefitters539.com/download/Mpls%202016%20Wage%20Rates.pdf

Commercial HVAC is a fantastic career if you live next to a major city and the pay is great. I work in Minneapolis and I am apart of the local 539 Pipefitters union. Here is our payscale for a ourneyman. It states the minimum amount we are to be paid. My employer gives us an extra doller every year.
>>
File: 1278107011892.png (175KB, 441x383px) Image search: [Google]
1278107011892.png
175KB, 441x383px
>>1079825
>people is more important than money..
Nice one bro.
>>
>>1080559

>chain drive rear end
>man handling those pipes

I came from the wrong era
>>
>>1057182
Trade Pokemon
>>
What do you guys think of Mechatronics?
I know it's not a trade, but would it be good enough for begin as an apprentice in some trade? Let's say electrical/mechanical
What would I need to become an apprentice in the first place?

Also, This one is probably close to a trade. I repair appliances and electronics sometimes. It's a good pay here in CA. It may help.
>>
>>1083055
You'll be stomped out by EE and ME graduates. Just because someone gets a degree doesn't mean they can hack it being an actual engineer. But when push comes to shove, they'll be hired over you.
And the mechatronics jobs are gonna boom in the future
>>
>>1083064
By boom, do you mean they're gonna be required?
Or am I doomed to be replaced by someone with an specialty?
>>
>>1083065
There is small amounts of automation in factories already. Its run and controlled by the average joes that work there in the factory.

Its going to just get more automated as time goes on, and when automation becomes more valuable than having actual workers the mechanics and installers are going to become much more valuable.

Those average joes who learned to push buttons, or the average joe who took a 4 week technical course at the community college are going to be trumped by any number of people who got some sort of ME or EE degree. Its not even hard to get a mechanical engineering degree from a community college, or even transfer to a state school for a bachelors.

Did you pass 2 years of high school algebra?
You can get a ME degree.
>>
>>1083055
It's interesting and you can get into a comfy plant maintenance or millwright job. I would take welding and machine shop to go with mechatronics because you'd be a beast and all those courses are fun. I haven't done mechatronics yet, which I mostly want to "convert" my military aircraft electronics background to civilian to broaden my hobby skills, but I'm familiar with a lot of their equipment and helped build trainers for my local school as a welding and machine shop student.

If you get good at that shit, you cannot easily be replaced by a noob because education is not experience. I enjoyed industrial maintenance before I joined the Air Force. Air Force gearhead life shits all over most of the civilian world, and retiring in my forties and never having to work again was and remains very fucking nice.

If you can't qualify for the Air Force, fuck yeah go for trades. Mechatronics won't break you down like welding, but welding is absolutely worth learning. Mechatronics can pay more than machinist work, but that varies and machining is absolutely worth learning.
>>
>>1083128
>If you get good at that shit, you cannot easily be replaced by a noob because education is not experience

Tangible experience with running old equipment isnt going to get you hired when plants retrofit or build new with brand new state of the art equipment.
>>
>>1083133
>Tangible experience with running old equipment isnt going to get you hired when plants retrofit or build new with brand new state of the art equipment.

You can more easily learn new systems, and you'll have real world experience with the basics. If you don't know why doing a task is different than studying it in class or why theory helps you adapt to a variety of tech, then avoid that trade. Real techs are adaptable and savor the challenge. They are technology omnivores. New equipment is a chance to get in on the ground floor with company training courses, or pick the brains of the company techs and make contact with them so you become the info pipeline after they leave.

A real technician knows more than just his assigned system and is constantly learning because it's part of who they are. You may be one of the people removing the old equipment then installing its replacement. There aren't hordes of techs who are skilled enthusiasts.

If you aren't an enthusiast, avoid the trades to spare others dealing with you.

That also goes for engineers. My local skilled Americuck toolmaker bros frequently unfuck German engineering mistakes on equipment for a famous German tire company. The custom machinery often doesn't work out of the box and it's much faster to have them devise improvements based on their decades of knowledge and experience. They are making good money.

It's not hard. You just gotta want to.
>>
>>1080778
Really? It looks kinda fun, to be honest.
I'm a welder and there's nothing else I'd rather do but yeah.
>>
File: 1391058497702.png (12KB, 420x414px) Image search: [Google]
1391058497702.png
12KB, 420x414px
>>1083143
>If you aren't an enthusiast, avoid the trades to spare others dealing with you.
If only more people understood this.

If you don't give a shit about your skills and you're only doing something you don't really like to get a damn paycheck why don't you fuck off and get an office job or something
>>
>>1080778
Why are so many linesmen addicted to opiates?
>>
>>1083166
The united states as a whole are addicted to opiates.
>>
What's the best trade for quick money short term with little experience?
I've got machining and manufacturing experience but I don't have the money to relocate comfortably to a better area with more machining jobs.

I just wanna kill myself for 6 months to a year and then move, or find something that requires travel.
>>
>>1083203
Over the road truck driver
>>
>>1083203
Depends a lot on the state of your local industry.
In some areas they just hire guys who are willing to work without any qualifications or experience and in some others they pretty much laugh you out of the door if you don't have at least 3 years experience.
>>
>>1083205
How long does a CDL training course take?
>>
>>1083209
Go look for a community college that offers it near you. Could be a 4,8 or 16 week course. Who knows, its dependent on the place
>>
>>1059520
I am a stationary engineer apprentice and you're absolutely right. Depending on the hotel, hospital or other building you get into the pay will vary. The job can be dangerous at times, and sometimes getting paid to litterally sit around. Many guys on our crew have come from construction but decided to be engineers since it's year round work with hardly any lay offs. Sure they made twice as much an hour in construction but they would be lucky to work 6 months out of the year, all the while breaking their backs, not knowing if they'd be called to the next project. My apprenticeship is helping me get my NEC card, my pool operators card, my EPA card, welding certs, OSHA cards and the training to go along with it. It could definitely be better, but it's by no means a bad choice.
>>
>>1059659
Do well on the apprenticeship tests for some of these and you're golden
>>
>>1059659
>Riggers
I swear all riggers in my city are inbred.
>>
File: 20161020_131910.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20161020_131910.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1083748
its way easier to get into a union by finding out where the works happening with the union you want to join.
how I became a carpenter was I had just walked out of the unemployment office with my check
I go walking down the street and I walk past a job site with some guys sitting on the corner on break
I said hey to them and asked if they needed any help. a guy calls over the foreman and the foreman asks me if I had work boots and a hammer. I said yes and he told me to go get my shit and come back. that day they put me to work cleaning up so thats what I did. at the end of the day the foreman tells me we start at 5 am and that I have to head over to the union hall with a paper he gave me and start my apprenticeship. after that I never had to look for a job again. any time a job ended someone would be calling. I used to do a lot of concrete forming but now I inspect and maintain wooden roller coasters
pic related my crew working in the rain
>>
>>1057514

> Carpentry sucks because you are depending on the housing market.

True, but even in a down market, if you're a good carpenter there will be work for you. Same with tile guys.
>>
>>1059770

Tiler here.

A decent tiler can make $50k a year. $100k if you really work hard.

It's heavily dependent on your area.

I had one lady ask me to retile her shower for $500. Lol, I was like lady I wouldn't even tile a backsplash for $500.

On the other hand I've had people willing to pay $10k to tile a shower. Depends on the pockets of the person and how savvy they are about the reality of home contractor pricing.
>>
>>1084045
if your doing residential your doing it wrong

all the union work is commercial and bridges
>>
OP: I am in the trades an I always answer these.

If you are in the US and in a union state, then this will mean something. If you are in a right to work state well then God help you.

#1 elevator erectors and service. HIgh pay, great work. LOTS of travel REQUIRED. Slow pace, competent co workers and superiors. Gov't regulated so there is no cheap way to get through your work i.e. No shit fuck contractor trying to low ball shit and put stress on your to make their dreams of Jew gold come true.

#2: Electricians, Plumbers Pipe Fitters and Steam Fitters (this is what I do), Sheet metal.

These are the big 3. They pay about the same and have similar benefits. Check your locals (that's what a union chapter is called. A local.) and find out what they each offer.

I didn't want to be in the trades when I first started. It was probably the best decision I ever made. After 13 years I now do design and work a desk doing CAD and double checking engineers calcs and doing design and fabrication to fit in real space. Plus coordination and all that other shit that one does to make a job become real. I make between 120k to 140k a year, if I do a lot of OT its goes up. Some of the guys I work with make 190k this year. It's really busy in California atm. I have a defined pension, a 401k, and medical when I retire. We'll see if this survives the trump presidency.
>>
I'm going to trade school to become an Electronics Technician. What kind of businesses could one start while being on that path? I wouldn't be an electrician I don't think cause I'm really interested in tech and gadgets which being an electronics tech would be interesting.

Are there specific states or environments that would have the best career prospects?
>>
Are you mexican?
Do you enjoy being high and drunk all day errday?
Don't mind getting cancer?

Go do granite. It's easy money. Installing is seriously easy. You can get decent enough in about 2 months. I did it for 2 years a while back. most guys in the shop brought home from $1200-$1800 a week. All depended on how much you wanted to work.
>>
>>1059448
Looks like a Cisco catalyst 5400.
>>
>>1074927
to be fair you could give a monkey a MIG machine and have it produce nice welds. Thats why alot of people even those who are shitty welders can get jobs doing simple things and not things that require finesse.
>>
>>1057541

America must suck.

Tradies here do it for the money.

My dad was making 65k a year as a welder and he was a lazy shit who hated working. My cousin ran his own fabrication business and made a small fortune. My godfather was a carpenter turned renovator and builder who is a millionaire now. He lucked out some, of course, but the whole point of being a broke bitch for 4 years as an apprenticeship was the good money and flexible work at the end.
>>
File: 20150429_104249.jpg (1MB, 1959x2612px) Image search: [Google]
20150429_104249.jpg
1MB, 1959x2612px
>>1085762
that guy has no idea what hes talking about seeing as he works on computers all day
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.