[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I’m into everything sustainable, so I decided that I want to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: bamboo bike.jpg (8KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
bamboo bike.jpg
8KB, 275x183px
I’m into everything sustainable, so I decided that I want to make a bamboo bike. Most places on the internet instruct to connect the joints by using hemp or carbon fibre in combination with epoxy glue. However, epoxy isn’t very sustainable (big footprint), and I’d rather like to go all the way. Unless epoxy proves to be farly superior to any alternatives.
>The joints are connected by soaking the fibre in epoxy glue (gained by mixing epoxy resin with hardener) and strapping the fibre tight around the joints.

I could replace epoxy with soy glue, what are your thoughts /diy?
>>
bumb
>>
my thoughts are to stop being a fucking hippie retard and use some goddamned gorilla glue like a normal person
>>
Try substituting shellac-based resin glue.
>>
>>1056279
how much weight did you loose when jumping to that conclusion fatass? My fagotry is too sophisticated for your pleb glue
>b-b-but it always works out fine
That was not the question, you cuck.
>>
File: Hippie_on_a_bike.jpg.jpg (66KB, 468x388px) Image search: [Google]
Hippie_on_a_bike.jpg.jpg
66KB, 468x388px
Im assuming this will be for sidewalk use only. Use pine pitch adhesive and cordage over that. A joint failure is very likely as no one really has a good technical writeup on using hippy stuff for a bike a human is supposed to ride.
Your wheelset is going to be pretty non sustainable though. As are the rubber tires/tubes.
SpinPower makes a wet lube thats supposed to me made from ethical hopes and dreams so its all vegan and all that, and frankly not using sustainable chainlube is just half assing it so mark that down as a must too. Nothing is going to have the tensile strength of unsustainable engineered steel so idk what you'll do about that.
>>
>>1056266
In terms of durability and minimum impact... you probably want to just go with steel. Where you getting your bamboo from? What are the ecological impacts of shipping it to you?

Steel welds up and brazes just fine, doesn't rot, can be endlessly repaired.

Crack your bamboo down tube, and your whole frame is shot.

Bend your steel down tube, get out the hammer and knock it around.

Bamboo is a fucking meme. Get over it.
>>
>>1056297
I'm going to use it for asphalt roads only, from home to social studies university. I happen to have my own private parking spot at my safe space. Jealous much?
I was planning to only focusing on the bike frame (would've been worthy to mention indeed). Yes, it would be quite contradictory to use parts that constantly break and need to be replaced. The other parts will be used from my current mountain bike (minerva), the hydraulic fork will protect the frame against most of the shocks that it will endure. And I could always buy something second-hand, so I don't support the problematic meany peoples industry.
>>
>>1056306
Bamboo is produced near the place where I live, I don't have to let it being shipped overseas. As for the rain, ever heard of a coating? I'm aware that I'm making a heavy duty object, not a garden decoration.
As for it's durability, it probably won't crack if used properly. And I'm not intending to use it like a maniac, but I get your point though. In the end, the best way to find stuff out, is to to try it myself.
>>
>>1056276
>bumps after ten minutes
Fuck off
Sage
>>
File: got 1Nicholas Snow.jpg (115KB, 700x872px) Image search: [Google]
got 1Nicholas Snow.jpg
115KB, 700x872px
>>1056323
No one asked you anything, go back to your fapcave or something
>>
>>1056306
This. Having a ship bringing you bamboo can easily outweigh the ecological impact of just using local steal. Steal will also last way longer which results in less manufacturing in the long run. I love the idea of a bamboo bike ( I ride my bike everywhere here in Denver) but it just doesn't sound very sustainable. Spend a few hundred on a quality bike. Buy quality tires and quality tubes. You will do much better for the environment and your wallet in the long run.
>>
File: Bamboo_car.png (113KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
Bamboo_car.png
113KB, 275x183px
They've been making bamboo cars since the 1960's - think bigger, OP
>>
The first step in sustainable is reuse. Buy a used bike. Safer for you as well. You wouldn't want a non sustainable helmet to protect you from your imminent catastrophic failure with your head hitting the concrete. Diy the needed repairs.
>>
>>1056416
This.

If you want to be sustainable, get a used bike. If you want a sustainable project, find a bike frame headed for the landfill and rescue it. These both have a neutral or positive environmental impact whereas making a bamboo bike will have a negative one.
>>
>>1056321
>. In the end, the best way to find stuff out, is to to try it myself.
Except, you don't have to try it out. plenty of people have already done it.

I've done it.

What type of bamboo can you get locally? is it a fast growing or slow growing variety? Don't get the fast growing variety.

curing and prep work adds up. don't forget to pop the nodes before you carbonize it.

I enjoyed the idea of making it, and it "worked" but it was absolute shit compared to a traditional brazed steel frame. I'm not a novice either. I build frames as a hobby and 11 of the 12 bike shops in the area send people my information when they want something custom made.

joint rigidity and frame flex in a natural material frame are just too much. It's damn near impossible to get a good alignment on your drive train that shifts reliably under different loads.

It rode nice enough but the fiddle factor was just too much. I'll stick with my steel thank you very much.

In terms of getting-it-done you have a lot of things to work around. Connecting the bottom braket to the frame, figuring out the seat tube arrangement and integrating that, getting your head tube bonded in right. ALL of that adds up to one hell of a lot of if's and therefore's that need to be carefully accounted for during construction and there's no "going back" once it's all done up. If your head tube is cocked just a couple of degrees to the left it'll fuck up everything.

This is why steel is the deal of the century for the home gamer. Steel acts the same way every time. The parts are uniform and standard and can be bought reasonably priced. The jig build is vastly simplified because of the uniformity and can even be "over-engineered" because of it. and it's just overall more forgiving of error creep.

The practice of learning to braze decent enough to be structurally sound can be honed in an evening or even faster if you've wetted plumbing before.
>>
>>1056430
In short what I'm saying. your first frame needs to be something much easier to build that the complications that arise from trying to marry two completely different materials.
>>
>>1056266
If you are truly wanting to be sustainable then paying to ship bamboo half way around the world for a bike is a horrible idea, a better one would be to take an old but still usable bike and repair/renovate it rather than let it go for scrap.
>>
>>1056480
Look, everyone! I found the faggot who couldn't be fucked to read the whole thread before posting!
>>
>>1056327
>posts asking for help
>nobody asked you
???
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.