[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making a big bismuth crystal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: bismuth.jpg (200KB, 672x594px) Image search: [Google]
bismuth.jpg
200KB, 672x594px
Has anyone tried to make a bismuth monocrystal ?
I'd like to make one during next holidays, but there is no website referencing how to get a single crystal.
What I did learn however was :
- Molten bismuth oxidizes quickly, so you have to keep a surface in contact with the air as small as possible
- You get a ~70% yield in crystal(s) because you have to pour the molten metal when the crystals have formed at the bottom.
>>
>>1056032
Cool it as slowly as possible.
Use larger volume for bigger crystals (obvious)
Dont disturb it while it cools, vibrations cause small crystals to form.
Cover the crystals from oxygen when you pour the liquid off.
Use high purity bismuth, otherwise the crystals wont be colorful.
>>
>>1056048
Why would I cover the crystals while pouring the molten metal off ? Wouldn't it cause the crystals to not become colorful ? Otherwise it would look like any other metal
>>
>>1056032
Did this in highschool.

>melt elemental bismuth
>allow to cool down to 585f
>insulate container
>hang seed crystal of bismuth just below surface
>gradually lower as temperature draps or you see crystal formation protruding
>when temperature reads 581-2 hover a chunk of dry ice over the container and allow it to sublimate to fill the pocket with co2 gas.
>remove crystal
>keep it suspended in the co2 gas
>Wait for it to come to room temperature

The co2 will insulate against oxidation but will do so in a gradient so you get various levels of oxidation and sheen

The color of the crystal is directly related to the oxidation layers thickness and is a result of light waves interfering with itself just like titanium and niobium
>>
>>1056238
You go to a pretty cool highschool.
>>
>>1057418
Yeah no shit. Coolest thing we had was woodshop taught by an asshole
>>
Hey Op

This may help you a bit

It's the section on single crystal formation in my manufacturing book
>>
File: 20160920_181137.jpg (3MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160920_181137.jpg
3MB, 3984x2988px
>>1057993
Crap

Forgot image
>>
File: 20160920_181204.jpg (3MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160920_181204.jpg
3MB, 3984x2988px
>>1057994
>>
File: 20160920_181732.jpg (3MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160920_181732.jpg
3MB, 3984x2988px
>>1057994
>>1057999
They made references to these figures in the page on Crystal growing
>>
>Scrolling through /diy/
>See this post
>Out of fucking nowhere, it's motherfucking bismuth
>>
>>1058009
No matter where you run, no matter where your hide, bismuth will find you
>>
why is it so angular

is this alien tech
>>
>>1057418
>>1057784
My school was awesome.

One of the best projects was done with the technology classes, engineering, shop, chemistry, and physics courses.

We designed and built a large rocket. Everything was designed and built by students from the rocket shape to the dry fuel engines and equipment on board.

The rocket was big enough, powerful enough, and would go high enough we needed to submit a flight plan with the faa.
>>
>>1058677

...so he went to North Korea High. Rocket blew up on the launchpad, 90% of the class was executed for treason.
>>
>>1056032
Those oxides are what makes bismuth colorful
>>1058601
You ain't seen nothing yet, some crystals look like little spike balls from videogames
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.