[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How bad did I mess up?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

Alright, so the frost inside my freezer has really built up over the summer and I decided a quick fix was using a chisel and hammer. I punctured the corner of the aluminum inner wall. How bad is this?
>>
>>1055243
Very bad, the cold will leak
>>
Worst case scenario, it is totally dead due to puncture of coils.

Best case scenario, you did superficial damage and possibly slightly reduced it's efficiency.
>>
>>1055249
I'm really hoping for this one.
Thanks for the replies
>>
>>1055243

Fill in the hole with silicon caulk to fix insulation problem
unplug and make sure all frost and moisture is clear of the hole first tho
>>
>>1055249
This
Plug it in and see what happens

If it gets cold, you got lucky. If it doesnt get cold its garbage and will cost far too much to get it repaired.
>>
For future reference, the best way to do this is defrost the machine and open the drain cap, not attempt to physically chisel the ice away.
>>
>>1055280
defrost it with a hair dryer or heat gun if you are super impatient
>>
>>1055249
If he had punctured the coils a gas cloud would've told him.
Plug with silicone, next time unplug and let the frost fall.
Also, if your freezer tends to accumulate frost for no apparent reason, clean and check the seal, air might be getting inside causing a fuckload of frost.
>>
>>1055280
It's the only method I saw growing up but yea, I should of done this
>>
If it still gets cold and didn't leak down, spew some RTV into the hole.

Next time turn shit off to defrost it.
>>
>>1055295
Not necessarily slow leaks are common. It could also have weakened it and once the compressor cycles it could rupture.
>>
File: picard-facepalm.jpg (31KB, 700x528px) Image search: [Google]
picard-facepalm.jpg
31KB, 700x528px
>>1055243

what a dumbshit
>>
>>1055297
Aw shit nigga should have said that to start with.
I know what its like when you grow up poor/dumb. I've been dealing with the same shit in life. .
You just think stupid shit is right because that's what you're used to. For now on, if you do anything diy, google safety for (task) and then how to do it.

>Life was suffering being taught retarded shit pre-internet.
>>
Don't pull the chisel out, just leave it in the freezer. If you pull it out you could do worse damage

just like a stab wound
>>
I work on fridges for a living. Pics?
>>
File: 20160915_201630.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160915_201630.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
>>1055338
Marked around it with a market, so that the orange stuff.
>>
File: 20160915_201559.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160915_201559.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
>>1055351
Meant to say marker.
>>
File: 20160915_201544.jpg (951KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160915_201544.jpg
951KB, 2560x1536px
>>1055338
It's staying cold so hopefully it's fine. Here's the brand, if it helps
>>
>>1055351
>>1055354
>>1055356
Any gas come out? You would have heard a hissing if it did. Most generally the coils that contain freon are wrapped around the sides of the freezer, not the floor. Fastest way to really find out is to let it completely defrost, like leave it open, until the ice is gone and the inside of the freezer is room temperature. After it is warmed up, plug it in again and wait about two hours. It may still be cold from the ice built up in the freezer.
>>
>>1055357
Well it's actually not on the floor, the fridge has this little step up and that's what you're seeing. I'll give it a check your way though, thanks a lot.
>>
>>1055357
But no, no hissing. Would it be loud or a quiet hiss?
>>
>>1055360
I know what you're talking about. Looks like a stair. Freon shouldn't be running through that "step."
>>1055361
With a hole that big, most likely you would hear a loud hiss, and the entire room would smell like oil. If it is a pinhole leak (imagine a tube running under the aluminum, where you may have punctured the aluminum but only nicked the tube,) it will take days or weeks to notice. The trick I use for detecting leaks if I don't have a freon detector is spraying down the coils with soapy water. Spray that hole with some soapy water and if bubbles form out of it, you've got a leak. Make sure it's running when you spray it to get an accurate reading.
>>
>>1055318
slow leaks due to being chiseled are extremely uncommon...

and actually the evaporator is the low side.. when the compressor turns on it's pressure drops... so it'd probably be less likely to rupture...
>>
>>1055338
what kind of fridges do you generally work on?
>>
>>1055368
All of them. top mounts, side by sides, French doors, freezers (frostless and unfrostless.) If a chest freezer like that is low on freon, we generally scrap it.
>>
>>1055363
Took about a minute but a bubble did end up being formed.
>>
>>1055374
You watched it grow and expand?
>>
>>1055370
on a scale of 1 to 100... how much do you cringe every time samsung puts on that commercial for their new fucking 4 door with the cameras and goddamn whole door tv touch screen?... every time I see it all I can think is that in a years time I'm going to be going out on assurian warranty calls for people saying "my fridge won't connect with my home wifi" ... or explaining that since their kid broke the touchscreen the only way to repair it is to replace the door.... since you know damn well they aren't gonna sell the fucking screen on it's own...

at least they stopped making the dual compressor models with r 600... still waiting for some craigslist hack to blow one of those up trying to replace an evaporator in it without realizing it's fucking butane and flooding it with nitrogen first....
>>
>>1055375
That I did. It's a single bubbe, not like if there is a gas leak in a propane valve or anything though, where you'd get lots of fast popping bubbes.
>>
>>1055376
I don't watch TV generally, but I've seen them in Lowe's before and yes I cringe every time. One guy brought one into the shop because they bought it from Sears and it never worked to begin with.. said we could just have it. Pulled the back plate off and the factory never even Fucking welded the copper pipes on the compressor, so the family that owned it had it running for so long that the compressor shit out. Samsung makes the shittiest appliances I've ever seen, and even brands that used to be reliable are building them to fuck up, so you'll go back in 3-5 years and spend more money on them. We parted out the Samsung.. door itself sells for 600, and the cameras were $200 a piece. I've met people that have tried to weld on 400a just to find out it was flammable. OP's Haier chest freezer probably uses 400a as well...

Yeah never buy a Samsung.
>>
>>1055378
Hmm.. sounds like you've got a very small leak then my friend. Freezer will most likely run for a few more weeks at most and then you'll notice it slowly getting warmer. I suggest you do what you can to cover up the leak and sell it to some fuckwad on Craigslist. Don't take it to get repaired, it costs too much and the chances of you getting another leak after this are very high. Sad news, my dude.
>>
>>1055382
we actually dropped them as factory authorized service.. they were trying to tell us we had to run their calls before everyone elses... fuck that.

honestly samsung and LG are probably my least favorite brands out their right now for fridges... although whirlpool got close with that dual evaporator french door that they had to do the service recall for leaks on...

and whoever designs frigidaire/electrosux's frenchdoor icemakers needs to be taken out back and shot.

personal favorite terrible frigidaire fridge story is going out on one of their flex tray icemaker french door models... the plastic bracket for the thermister on the bottom of the flex tray had broken... when the thermister fell it jammed in the metal auger... when the auger was actuated it ripped the thermister free and dead shorted the wires on the metal auger... this caused a surge that fried the main control board underneath, the dispenser board on the front, AND BOTH FUCKING DC FANS.... only saving grace was that it was still under warranty...

at least we'll have plenty of business... even if it all sucks to work on...
>>
>>1055386
That sucks but gives me a few paychecks to make the transition easier, thanks a ton. I'll probably do the Craigslist thing or see what the scrap yard will buy it for.
>>
>>1055393
Scrapyard will give you like two bucks. Craiglist or used appliance shop, you will get the most money out of. Good luck my friend. And... No more pickaxing. :)
>>
Hey refrigerator repair guy, what brand of refrigerator and freezer will give me the least trouble?

Thanks!
>>
File: Snapchat-1399546784137205990.jpg (119KB, 540x888px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1399546784137205990.jpg
119KB, 540x888px
>>1055392
Frigidaire sucks balls, most leak prone appliances I have ever seen. Easy to work on though. I have suspicions that whirlpool is purposely making the condenser coils on their new French doors too small on purpose, so that the compressor gets too hot and shits out.

Frigidaire's new shit is pissing me off... Here's a control board that I pulled out of a Frigidaire today.. I believe the moisture in the air of the refrigerator corroded the control board. Used to be a silly little $25 mechanical timer and cold control.. I didn't mind the adc boards when they started coming out.. but these new boards are trash.
>>
>>1055399
Get yourself a Whirlpool refrigerator, I would recommend buying a used one from a reputable appliance shop. Stay away from any fridge made in the last 5 years or so. They are now being built to break down so you spend more money on them. I would recommend 2005-ish Whirlpool Top Mount or Side by Side. Same with your freezer, just make sure it's a stand-up frostless freezer.
>>
>>1055399
fwiw I'd say brand doesn't matter as much as simplicity does..

topmount freezer with a mechanical cold control (the temperature control will be a knob that has some resistance as you turn it) is probably the closest thing you can to find to really reliable... or at least cheapest to fix for anything other than sealed system (which is a potential problem on any kind of fridge)
>>
>>1055407
Yes but some brands are more prone to freon issues than others.
>>
>>1055402
frigidair is bad, but hasn't in my opinion hit "lg linear compressor" bad...

saw that post and wondered...

went out on one of their topmounts today that was less than a month old... frost buildup all around the gasket at the front... technically by serial number it falls outside of the service bulletin that has you silicone the door seal in place along with those corner trim pieces... call in to tech support because you'd think they'd have fixed this on later models only to be told that no... they haven't fixed it... that they recommend the silicone repair on all the topmounts even the new ones... and now they have an air diverter that they want you to install to fix a temperature fluctuation problem...

have you had to do the GIANT foam mat repair on the flextray french doors for ice buildup on the back? that ones a hoot...
>>
>>1055412
Holy shit, I didn't know that lol. What's involved in the foam mat repair?
>>
>>1055408
I don't see that much difference with the sealed systems between the different topmounts. that being said we generally only do those under warranty for frigidaire/electrolux, and whirlpool/kitchenaid/maytag/everyotherfuckingbadgetheysell... and under some extended warranty's... most of the cash calls I run are higher end stuff like subzero, viking, and once in a long while fisher paykel
>>
>>1055416
Really? What area are you in? Never heard of subzero or Viking, and the only Fisher paykel I've ever seen was a washer and dryer set that came through our shop.
>>
>>1055415
on the flextray french door models you want to check the back of the unit around where the icemaker compartment would be... they had a bunch where the refrigerant lines weren't held in the proper place and when they spray foamed them in they moved too close to the metal back panel... they'll build up frost from moisture in the air and in some cases end up with dinner plate sized chunks of ice... also causes the drain tube for the icemaker compartment to freeze up... the solution is that they'll mail your customer a foam mat kit that fits the ENTIRE back of the fridge... it comes in a huge fucking box... also their is a chute and foam blocks that go inside the icemaker compartment along with a replacement set of gaskets for the entire icemaker compartment.

you have to call frigidiares tech line, and if your authorized they'll cover parts and labor due to potential for floor damage... let me see if I can find some of the pics..
>>
>>1055418
That's crazy man. I work in used appliance shop so I've never ever run into that kind of thing.
>>
>>1055417
michigan/indiana.

you should look up sub zero... they redefine nice to work on... also they're super expensive anyway.. generally 10~15k new.. they're built in... and generally designed to be worked on from the front...

we generally will replace the compressor, evaporator, heat exchanger, on the fresh food side for around 2100$... (they have 2 sealed systems..each with it's own compressor and evaporator, one for the freezer, one for the fridge, since the fridge always has water on it due to being off cycle defrost it generally gives out after about 15~20 years... but since they're so expensive new they're well worth fixing...)
>>
File: padkit.png (81KB, 505x567px) Image search: [Google]
padkit.png
81KB, 505x567px
>>1055421
screenshot of the pdf instructions for the pad part of the kit... just keep in mind this is for a full size french door...

also if you didn't know the whirlpool cabrio washers with the direct drive brushless dc motors (and the maytag bravo's that are the same) were originally designed by fisher paykel.. which is why the fisher paykel toploads use the same drive design with the floating basket... the whirlpools put a second pump on them for recirculation though whereas the fisher paykels use a diverter valve and 1 pump....
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.