[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need tips for cost effective "soundproofing"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
So /diy/ my room is only seperated from my roommates room by a thin 4-6inch brick wall (the cheap shit). Literally all the sound goes through the wall and he complains a lot. Is there anyway of "soundproofing" (I use this term loosely) the wall behind my desk so the noise from my keyboard is quieter in his room?? Side note I'm a DIY noob and first time using the board :/
>below is my wall and the space I have
>>
OP here,
Also have enough space behind my monitor and stuff to put those weird foam things (acoustic treatment?) behind but not sure if it's what I'm looking for
>>
>>1055239
Is the desk wall mounted?
>>
>>1055241
No just standard idea desk
>>
Shameless self bump
>>
>>1055245
Foams are rather ineffective, hang a heavy duvet on the wall behind the desk (pull it away from the wall a bit) to block the sound. Even towels will work better than foam.

If you can, you can even prop up an air gapped panel / plasterboard in front of the wall.
>>
>>1055239

look at goodwill for egg crate foam sheets then get a few 2x2s and some kind of fabric.

step 1: build frames out of wood to fit the space where you want the panel/s
step 2: cut pieces of egg crate foam to go inside the frames
step 3: stretch fabric tightly over the frame and staple on the back, cutting away excess fabric with some scissors

then you just hang the panels
>>
>>1055256
Anyway to make the aesthetics better? (Thanks for reply though!)
>>
>>1055263
https://youtu.be/pABvTWSxOes
>>
>>1055260
Have about 5-6 inches between my monitor and wall, also in the future I will get it mounted onto the wall, is this still practical??
>>
>>1055266
That's really cool, thanks! Might have to pop down to the charity shop :')
>>
I had a roommate like you who would play LOL up to 4:00 in the morning, even during finals, screaming like a retard because he couldn't hear himself over his headphones, I hated the guts out of him, so after fruitless negotiations I installed a remote kill switch inside the router's wall wart and blamed the provider for the "constant connection cuts", of course when the provider came to take a look it would work totally fine. If you have to share a fucking dorm with someone, leave your fucking games at home. Your kind really pisses me off.
Now I've vented my anger, a cloth or some foam below the keyboard can make a great difference, he also had a fucking noisy memechanical keyboard and it resonated on the thin table like bolts in a blender, further amplifying the sound.
Next thing you want to do is to move your table to the opposite wall, and if you can, do this >>1055266 on behind and in front of you, that way the sound won't reflect from the wall in front of you, and the reflected sound will get absorbed again by the wall behind you.
The more furniture you have the less sound will make it through, if you can, rearrange the furniture to use it as a wall against sound.
>>
>>1055239

Putting some rubber pads underneath the legs of the desk might help a bit too.
>>
>>1055267
You could just leave a hole between the frames and fabric for the wall mount
>>
File: IMG_20160916_095328.jpg (564KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160916_095328.jpg
564KB, 2560x1920px
>>1055294
This. Isolate the thing that is making the sound as much as possible.
Rubber mat below your keyboard. Below the feet of the table is a great start. Possibly your fat ass makes the chair creak a lot too, so lube any joints it has.

Pic related, some acoustic treatments I just build for a friend's loungeroom music studio.

The timber ones are angular diffusion panels, the grey ones are acoustic insulation batts in a stud frame. I think we'll wrap those in fabric at some point. Really deadens the room.
>>
>>1055290
Don't play really at all at night, it's just mostly typing essays and things like that. If I do it's literally just me playing a single player game. So it's really only to stop the sound of keyboard and mouse clicks . I Also do editing and crap. I don't have a mechanical keyboard but even though it's membrane it has quite a loud sound.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1055294
These be the legs, this desk is an ikea one, can't remember the name, malm? It has a desk tray underneath so it resonates through as well :/
>>
>>1055492
move the desk away from the walls for about an inch, that will cut down transfers dramatically already
>>
>>1055239
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pABvTWSxOes
>>
>>1055252
no bumping needed
>- Be patient, this is a slow board; your thread will be around for days.
>>
>>1055239
If you want something that is cost effective and doesn't look like shit, build a second stud wall in front of the existing wall and insulate it properly.

It'll be a lot cheaper than real good sound proofing material and it will actually work unlike half of the shit these hack jobs will suggest.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.