[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

superglue on monitor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: superglue-tube-drip-259137.jpg (25KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
superglue-tube-drip-259137.jpg
25KB, 300x200px
Couldn't find a questions thread or anything of the sort here so I hope this isn't a waste of space
I was messing around with something, a bit of superglue splashed up on my monitor and I didn't notice it until later
Googled for a bit but I couldn't find any decisive answers
Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Is it possible to get it off without damaging the monitor? If not, how to minimize the damage?
>>
Assuming it's not a glass surface: You could try scraping most of it off gently with a fresh sharp razorblade, then applying minimum amounts of heat at a time to dissolve the cyanoacrylate. Might (read:should) protect the surrounding area with things like tape and cardboard (or something equal) before you start applying heat.

If it's an older monitor with a matte screen, use this as an excuse to buy a new one
>>
>>1054482
Most superglues are solvent and melts and bonds with the plastic in contact, so unless it is a specifically solvent free glue, your screen is kill. At least you won't remove it without taking a bit of its skin off.
>>
Superglue remover is what you want mate. 3 bucks on amazon.

But be careful if your screen is plastic as I think it's a solvent.

>>1054486
You're thinking of something else
>>
>>1054508
>Superglue remover
That's mainly acetone and plain acetone works too.
>>
>>1054482
I'm honestly surprised it even stuck. You sure you can't just chip it off with a fingernail? Modern superglue is absolutely worthless shit since they changed the formulas to make it more "safe" for the retards that kept gluing their hands to their face.

Otherwise solvent and a cotton swab. Just make it moist, don't get it sopping wet and don't let it sit. The glue will either break up before you do damage to the coating on the screen or it won't.
>>
>>1054578
I tried scraping it but it seemed firmly in place. Will try using a solvent later
>>
File: 1471893806808.webm (3MB, 1075x600px) Image search: [Google]
1471893806808.webm
3MB, 1075x600px
>>1054482
Acetone will dissolve the super glue. And it wont harm the glass on your CRT at all.
>>
Protect surrounding area with masking tape. Apply acetone or nail polish remover with a q-tip and rub gently. Maybe test the procedure on a similar part or flat surface.
>>
Acetone, superglue remover is you want is a solvent.

Solvents and plastics don't mix.

It will ruin your monitor.
>>
>>1056583
Sorry. Spelling error. It is NOT what you want.
>>
>>1056583
What else would you use? seems to me the only thing to do is to carefully apply a small amount
>>
>>1054482
nail varnish remover will do. if you know any women they will have some
>>
>>1054482
"Superglue" my ass. Perhaps you should sit further back from your desk when you fap, OP.
>>
>>1057883
What is acetone
>>
Reality: You're probably fucked. On the off chance your screen is glass(most arnt now a days.) it'll still have coatings and other BS on the surface that will get disolved by anything that is half powerful enough to strip off crazy glue.

Best option is to take a razor blade, like >>1054483 said.

>>1054578
Eh, gorilla glue is damn near impossible to remove from ANYTHING. I got a drop on the edge of my phone(glued the screen to the frame since it kept lifting off) and the website said the only thing to do was scrape it off with a razor. No point in using acetone or nail polish remover since its essentially more resilient than anything you put it on, short of mirror-smooth metals or glass.
>>
>>1054482
Easy way to get it off, get some bleach and mix it with ammonia. Just apply that to the screen and it will come right off without damaging the screen.
>>
>>1054483
>implying matte screens are inferior and/or outdated

matte screens actually cost more to make and many people (myself included) prefer not having a massive glare when a lights anywhere behind you

Anyway, onto the topic, ITfag reporting in

most (all?) non CRT monitors (aka not giant old tv looking ones) have multiple layers that make up the screen. if you disassemble it the top layer the glue has stuck to will come right off like a thin sheet of clear plastic. go on ebay and im sure you can find a replacement that will fit (do your own google research to learn what this screen is called, i do not remember the names)

ive never replaced one, but ive dissembled plenty of monitors before out of curiosity and for things like inverter boards etc, you will first take apart the housing of the monitor to get to the screen, then actually disassemble the screen and youll break it down into the layers.

HOPEFULLY the glue only affected the top layer as I believe it's nothing but a protective sheet, if it did any chemical burning or anything to the lower layers, youre probably fucked.
>>
>>1058782

also I'm fairly confident Acetone will melt your screen.
>>
use a non polar solvent like toluene or hexane
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.