[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I saw this on /g/ and I'm skeptical.Would this work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10

File: 1473859671729[1].jpg (213KB, 1199x1454px) Image search: [Google]
1473859671729[1].jpg
213KB, 1199x1454px
I saw this on /g/ and I'm skeptical.Would this work?
>>
>>1054463
it looks like a simple high voltage dump capacitor in the form of a USB stick

So yes, it would kill anything with a USB port

Y THO?
>>
>>1054466
The damage might be limited to the USB port alone, though.
>Y THO?
Because faggotry.
>>
>>1054466
How do I protect my computer from stuff like that?
>>
>>1054463
Yes they work
You protect yourself by not picking up random usb sticks you find lying around and plugging them in which is a bad idea anyway
>>
>>1054473
use 5v rated zener diodes
>>
>>1054468
>Because faggotry.
It's like hacking for dumb kids
you don't get any passwords or data off the computer but you make it not work until it gets fixed
ha ha. if only my parents knew I was a hax0r, they would shit brix
>>
>>1054473

USB is fused, it's questionable if this even works. Might fuck up the port but I doubt it will kill your motherboard.
>>
>>1054491

I can break expensive things with very little effort! I replaced this dudes game shortcut on his desktop to a shortcut to a 2 line .bat that deletes system32! haha leet XD
>>
I'm thinking this is like a vintage camera flash which take 2AA batteries and can build a discharge voltage of (sometimes) up to 480V in a few seconds, if it's possible to build the components inside a USB stick then I have no doubt this has the potential to do serious damage. Think of it like tazering your motherboard...
>>
>>1054509

I made a home made taser in college when I was like, 18 and was trying to get in with the edgy crowd. Putting the prongs against any points on a computer motherboard and triggering the flash would cause pieces to pop off the board, bit of smoke sometimes.

I stopped when IT services threatened to call the police. Turns out home made tasers are technically firearms in the UK and the UK law enforcement are total faggots about that kind of stuff.
>>
>>1054463

Thought of building one of these for a car's OBD II diagnostic port. Car thieves break in and plug laptop in to clone an electronic key or override whatever. Suddenly, laptop just stops working.
>>
>>1054466
>Y THO?

Millennial children are basically niggers and get pleasure in destroying things that white people built and paid for, then beg for more free money.

>>1054468
>Because faggotry.
>>
>>1054463

It exists, you can build one yourself, and, yes, it works.

It won't kill computers with isolated USB ports, though, although it could still ruin the USB port itself.

>Y THO?

No fuckin' idea what legitimate use you could have for this.
>>
Tried one of these on my desktop. All it did was trip the breaker in the power supply.
I could see it killing a laptop with an external power supply though
>>
>>1054473
Fill all your ports with melted wax
>>
>>1054570

>Millennial children are basically niggers and get pleasure in destroying things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4IjTUxZORE
>>
>>1054570
but this is from a chinese company and im black but never gotten pleasure in destroying things i wasnt supposed to but i guess your point still stands
>>
>>1054594
>No fuckin' idea what legitimate use you could have for this.
plug it in to the computer when the FBI is breaking down the door?
>>
File: HgH DOuble.png (329KB, 686x456px) Image search: [Google]
HgH DOuble.png
329KB, 686x456px
>>1054570
Did a black man steal the girl that friendzoned you?
>>
>>1054687
It was a black millennial.
>>
>>1054685

It, at most, only destroys your CPU and mobo. It's highly unlikely the hard drive would be affected and, even if it was, the data would still be easily recoverable with a board swap.
>>
>>1054711
If the drive is a standard optical you are correct.
The exception to this would be a Solid State Drive.
The current would fry the delicate memory module

A degaussing magnet would still be more reliable.
>>
>>1054501
This never happened
>>
File: 1469500320855.jpg (67KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1469500320855.jpg
67KB, 500x375px
>>1054563
>does not fire anything
>firearm

Welp. God save the Queen.
>>
File: Nerve_Ending_Fairy.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Nerve_Ending_Fairy.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>1054570
Idk, this could be for someone with paranoia and illegal stuff in his computer
>>
>>1054727
I've seen SSDs take some pretty serious damage and keep running.
>>
>>1054758

Unless it ruins the HDD this doesn't make sense. It could fry things left, right and center but if it can't get to the data then it will obviously be still available to be read in the party van
>>
File: 1439632126409.jpg (41KB, 499x424px) Image search: [Google]
1439632126409.jpg
41KB, 499x424px
>>1054779
O jesus
>>
File: gallery_334_3_144886.png (365KB, 418x577px) Image search: [Google]
gallery_334_3_144886.png
365KB, 418x577px
>>1054782
That surge of electricity would only serve to kill the driver board for the hard drive. The platters themselves, where the data is stored, would be OK. Assuming the internal components of the drive (motor, actuator arm), all you'd have to do is replace the driver board with an identical part. If the internals were dead, the platters could still be read with some effort.

You should probably also be aware that formatting a platter drive is basically useless - there is freeware for recovering deleted partitions, and I've personally had success with it.

Killing a platter drive take effort. If you have reason to be concerned about that, then you should be very concerned. BRB calling the cops.
>>
>>1054685
No, you keep the door off of the tower and a sizable amount of thermite nearby. At a point of the FBI coming through your door you probably won't give too many fucks about the fire, it might actually help.
>>
>>1054809
Remember kids:
Attempting this, successful or not, will anger the Feebs. Expect to have charges for triple-ultra-mega terrorism, bombmaking, attempted murder (for every agent, police officer and mailman in town), arson, destruction of property, assault with a deadly weapon, resisting arrest, bio-chemical warfare and littering added to your sheet. Not that it will matter after you are defensively shot 47 times by a crowd of agents who were holding you down on the floor.

You will also be charged for attempted murder on the dozen people who get hit by a stray round as you splash onto the walls.
>>
>>1054823
All of my KEK!
>>
>>1054473
>Worrying about this
>>
>>1054789
A full (slow) format will wipe out almost everything, there will still be a bit of metadata left in certain areas but its pretty near complete.

Don't believe me? Go download FTK (the software digital forensics experts use (its got a free version)) and try it for youself.

Now this is diffrent from a quick format which does nothing much more than wright over the fat tables (or ntfs equivalents)
>>
>>1054912
DBN is what I used to use when I was selling a computer (or when I got a used one - who the fuck knows what used to be on there), since it follows DoD standards for erasing magnetic media. It would do several passes of 0s and garbage.
>>
>55 dollars
A hammer is like five dollars, and works instantly
>>
File: Contemplating_The_Pineapple.jpg (66KB, 500x377px) Image search: [Google]
Contemplating_The_Pineapple.jpg
66KB, 500x377px
>>1054789
I was just wondering the possibilities to this gadget, my life is too boring to be worry about it
>>
Since non of ya'll read the creator's kicksater of anything, the idea behind this device was to point out that not all mobo manufactures build their usb ports to code, which leaves them vulnerable to this.
On a proper motherboard, this would only kill the USB ports.

Of course, the creators went full retard and decided to sell them because money.

tldr; No it doesn't "kill any computer in seconds" It only kills computers with shitty USB ports.
>>
>>1054484

Wouldn't a cap dump just fry the zener?
>>
File: bfb.gif (2MB, 336x177px) Image search: [Google]
bfb.gif
2MB, 336x177px
>>1054570
I hope you see the irony in this post. You are outing yourself as either someone who is 35+ cynical curmudgeon or an edgy underagedb& when you hate millenials. If you don't fall into those categories you're just as bad as the twerps complaining about being in the wrong generation on Beatles Youtube comments.

Gain some self-awareness or at least use a less ambiguous blanket insult like 'millenials' to describe a group of people you don't like or agree with.

Perhaps try 'cuck' or 'nu-male'? Those might be more your speed, although they might clash with your usage of nigger.
>>
>>1054463
I'm actually more surprised about the $55 price tag. A big capacitor and maybe some logic shouldn't cost that much.
>>
>>1055225
It's not made in millions and there's no need to go with $0.01 profit margin.
>>
>>1055200
That's the point, fry the zener and save the usb hub.
>>
http://hackaday.com/2016/09/13/the-usb-killer-now-has-commercial-competition/
>>
>>1055211
>Srsly doe.
Something of value was lost when kids stopped having to wait for satisfaction. Milennials have almost no staying power when encountering tricky problems, they have no perseverance when facing obstacles, they are not interested in finding value beyond short-term satisfaction and renown.

It's partly being allowed to be a child forever, partly an over-easy access to advanced but meaningless technology, and partly an almost absolute lack of culture.

You think 4chan, 9gag and plebbit are bad, you can at least log off and consider your foundations. They literally don't have anything else.
>>
>>1055520
they said this about cars
they said this about mail
they said this about radio
they said this about tv
they said this about mobile phones
they said this about computers

remember how you looked at your parents then while they complained about (insert above subject i mentioned) and thought "look at these old grumpy farts"

well. your that.
>>
>>1055531
And the chuckle is it is the Milennials who are helping to drive the revival in old tech and pop cultures.
>>
>>1054463
On old PCs from before 2010 maybe. Or really cheap shit. Today's stuff there are protection circuits for short circuits and power overloads.. The best you can hope for is frying the terminals of the port itself in most cases.

>>1054473
Make a stand alone USB port that has a 1-2 amp resistor in 500 to 1k ohms and an indicator LED. Plug the suspect device into that first. That will burn off any energy stored in a capacitor of the USB device. If the LED lights up, you know the device is meant to kill a PC using a charge high voltage capacitor. Since this is such a simple circuit, you can make a tiny pocket version that can fit on your keychain.

>>1055538
>>1055520
>>1054570
Same thing happened last generation and the one before that. Just fill in the blanks.

>>1054501
>what is satire?
>>
>>1055590
>Make a stand alone USB port that has a 1-2 amp resistor in 500 to 1k ohms and an indicator LED. Plug the suspect device into that first. That will burn off any energy stored in a capacitor of the USB device. If the LED lights up, you know the device is meant to kill a PC using a charge high voltage capacitor. Since this is such a simple circuit, you can make a tiny pocket version that can fit on your keychain.

Change the indicator LED to a flashlight LED, add a switch, and if you discover a kill-PC USB you can use it as a flashlight.
>>
>>1055531
Oh wow, you completely missed the point.

If you can't see that "smartphones" and social media have ruined the culture we live in, you're fucking blind. I hope you're conscious when they insert the probes.
>>
>>1055594
>"smartphones" and social media have ruined the culture we live in
please go on, i wnt to hear your rant on that
>>
>>1055594
>fucking cars ruining people's legs
>fucking books ruining people's mind, I wish we had village elders again
>fucking screwdrivers ruining (???)
Cellphones have nothing to do with it. It's who uses them that do.
>>
File: 1472776283284.jpg (42KB, 640x625px) Image search: [Google]
1472776283284.jpg
42KB, 640x625px
>>1056255
>fucking screwdrivers ruining (???)

HAMMERS!!!! GOD DAMN IT!
>>
>>1055038

Yeah, but a hammer ain't...what's dat woid...subtle.
>>
>>1055211

>In this post: "Moi? A *negro*? Alas, I am triggered!"
>>
File: poe.jpg (93KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
poe.jpg
93KB, 1024x768px
There is always Power-over-Ethernet
>>
>>1055594
You are the same kind of fag who would watch a rap video about it and reblog it on jewbook... Or whatever. Just stop bitching and move on with your life. If yiu are seriously this unable to be happy with the current world just end your life. Seriously, that is the only option I see fit here. Unless you want to continue shitposting on this garbage image board for replies. We're doing something called "making the best of it" and you're doing the complete opposite of that, throwing all our hard work in the trash. Like I said before, kill yourself, you worthless leach. I recommend helium, it's painless.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.