[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Synthetic/Lab created gemstones

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (36KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
36KB, 500x375px
I'm looking to make my girlfriend a ring for xmas and I have heard about synthetic/lab created gemstones. This is very appealing to me as they aren't mined and are generally flawless and strong than their naturally included counterparts. Where does a person find a reputable dealer?
>>
>>1053871
Google.
>>
Search synthetic gems on google. Then search how to make synthetic sapphires
>>
Like the others have said, Google.
You can also ask some local goldsmith you trust who actually makes jewelry.
>>
Our board must be truly reputable to be the only bastion of sanity on the entire site for somebody to ask, believing we a bunch of armchair engineers and makers to be more suitable than /biz/ or /adv/ or /sci/, such a non-diy question. I find this rather amusing. Unfortunately OP has not been doing his homework of Googling shit. If he did this he would find many suitable vendors whose reviews are free for all to see.
>>
I got a one inch wide (well almost) white sapphire off eBay for the price of a sandwich. Shit is cash.
>>
>>1053871
They are beautiful, but have no value monetarily. If you try to pass them as mined, you'll look stoopid.

I bought off Ebay and was very happy, cuz I just wanted the beauty, not nvestment.
>>
>>1053911
Have you looked at /biz/ and /sci/ lately? lol
>>
Bought a created ruby this year, almost any jewler should have them, start asking there.
>>
File: IMG_20150722_232153.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150722_232153.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
>>1053871
http://gemsbydeni.com/t/lab-created-gemstones

There are some things you need to know though, hydrothermal vs flame fusion. Hyrdothermal is much more expensive because it takes a long time to grow them but is closest to the natural process. Flame fusion is just melting the raw ingredients in a really hot flame and dripping them onto a boule. Hydrothermal is difficult to find.

Don't get your hopes up expecting something that looks like the picture. The raw crystal material is quite dull and has to be cut precisely to reflect light and shine.

I ordered some sapphire and ruby baguettes to make a watch with and they were quite dull. They look even more dull when you allow light to shine through the sides or back.
>>
>>1053871
Wow, I wanted to ask about making lab grown diamonds and or lab created stones and here is thread.

What where the chances?
Was Op watching how its made this morning by chance?
>>
>>1053871
I used to work in a lab that had a machine for growing diamonds on things.
It was more expensive to run the machine than to buy a diamond.
Considering that diamonds are all bullshit run by cartels that drive up artificial prices to rip you off but still cheaper than growing them then I guess you either get shafted by the man or pay a little extra for the dignity of shafting yourself.
>>
>>1053934
That was glass
>>
>>1053911
OP here I did an exhaustive google search however the only dealer sites that show up are Thai or Russian and obviously not reputable
>>
>>1054033
Just because it's from a different country, doesn't mean it isn't reputable.

Go on ebay. Search for Lab created sapphire. Find a seller that is a top rated seller. Find one that has a lot of feedback and has very few or no negative feedback.
>>
>>1054014
Lel
>>
>>1054033
>I don't trust anyone not from my country
Typical amerifat
>>
>>1054066
>Trusts anyone for any reason
>>>Typical Eurolard
>>
>>1054007
>cartels

That would imply there is more then 1.

De Beers is the only cartel
>>
>>1054076
the pedantry of your correction really boils my piss but i can't dispute it because of course you are correct. my apologies.
>>
I guess no one wants to help out the OP?

Check out Chatam sapphires and diamonds in the USA anon, pricier than what those russian made synthetic sapphires but might be worth a look
>>
>>1053871
I bought my girlfriend an engagement ring (for non-assfuck prices) on this guy's Etsy page, he talks about how he sources his gemstones, many of which are artificial. Based on my communications with him, he would probably be happy to share info about his sources if you asked.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheAladdinsCave

He also uses industrial metals, which I recommend if you have the ability to machine them. (Titanium is great for jewlery not breaking or losing its color. )

>>1054007
Op never mentioned diamonds actually. Until I noticed Ed that, I was about to go telling him about how diamonds are a (literal) forced meme shilled by an industry made to scam people into associating price with affection for a loved one. But he just wants gemstones, not diamonds in particular.
>>
>>1054141
Everyone knows diamonds are memememe
>>
>>1054014
Nah brah, seriously. You can even get 2" CZ for like sixty bucks.
>>
Gem resources international.
Synthetic gemstones are cheap enough you can buy one sight unseen, if the cutting sucks you will only be out a few bucks, can try somewhere else. Mostly they are pretty nice... get a couple if you have never set a stone before. Breaking saphires isnt all that difficult. That is part of why diamonds are so popular, you have to work hard to break them when setting...
>>
>>1054328
The only thing harder than a sapphire is a diamond. They are pretty tough faggot
>>
>>1054461
Hardness and toughness are two different material properties.

You can quench high carbon steel and make it as hard as glass, but it will be brittle enough to snap with your hands. If you then temper it by heating it up about 1/3rd of the way to melting, it will decrease in hardness a tiny bit while becoming the toughest fucking shit man knew of until composites were invented.
>>
>>1054752
Gem stones aren't commonly rated on toughness faggot. Sapphires can be set in a mild and molten gold poured directed on them. Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>1054760
You just called them tough asslicker. Eat it.
>>
>>1054776
I said they were hard, alluding to it being a tough object. A things toughness is composed of many things. Being hard is a good tough quality. Quit playing semantics with the OP or whoever and shut the fuck up you child.
>>
The corners of princess cut stones are very delicate. I was once checking the seat on a white saphire, seat was a hair too small, just the pressure from placing the stone to check was enough to take a flake off from the corner. New stone time:)
>>
Whereas a round diamond can sometimes survive a direct hit from a pneumatic setting punch (handy setting in titanium...)
>>
File: 2016-09-15 09.24.13.jpg (443KB, 858x651px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-15 09.24.13.jpg
443KB, 858x651px
I bought a yellow sapphire for astrological reasons from Morion. It's hydrothermal, 30cts, and flawless to the eye. Pretty happy with the purchase overall.
>>
>>1054461
>>1054760
i dont like you

seems like you dont know what you're talkin about sonny
>>
>>1054071
At least he has dubs
>>
>>1055029
>astrological reasons
I won't question, because it looks very nice.
>>
>>1054071
No they trust sellers with good ratings which is a reason you tard.
>>
>>1053970
I'm guessing the pic was the watches you've made?, pretty nice. I've been thinking about machining a case for a chunky watch. I'm thinking dials must be a bitch to make though.
>>
>>1054076
>>1054085
Actually this isn't true and was never completely true. De Beers only controlled a large majority of diamond ~80% in it's prime. In 2000, several countries by-passed their supply chain to effectively end their monopoly. They now account for less than 40% of the diamonds supplied in the world.

Also there was always a black market for diamonds generally run by gangs. These are now associated with conflict or blood diamonds.

De Beers Monopoly is almost as big of a meme as the one they started about diamonds.
>>
>>1054831
>alluding to it being a tough object

No you fucking idiot, you don't understand english or material properties. I just gave you an example of how hardness has almost zero correlation with toughness, if anything it is inversely proportional.
>>
>>1055139
DeBeers started the whole craze bud, fact.
>>
>>1055333
Get a load of this faggot, goddamn I bet your parents cringe around you with your Cheetos crusted fingers touching all their nice things.
>>
>>1054752
So we quench jewels now and worry about their hardness and toughness?
>>
>>1054831
hard != durable
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.