[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who here is pretty confident with knots?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: 1338695305554.jpg (774KB, 787x964px) Image search: [Google]
1338695305554.jpg
774KB, 787x964px
Who here is pretty confident with knots?
>>
>>1053711
what are you trying to do with the knot? what are you attaching it to? I worked on a sailboat so I know a thing or two about knots
>>
>>1054154
I'm pretty well versed in knots, but I was looking for someone to throw some ideas back and forth with for an idea I have.
>>
>>1053711
I'm an Eagle Scout and teach the pioneering merit badge. I uh know knots.
>>
>>1054156
hit me
>>
>>1054158
>>1054154
Okay, I've been wanting to create a sort of idiot's guide for useful knots. But, I've been wanting to structure it a bit differently. I'd like to find knots that do certain things that, let's say, mimic existing things. I.E. a knot to turn a piece of rope into a zip tie or things of that nature.

It seems a lot more natural to me to have someone search for "How to do X" , with X being whatever function you need as opposed to searching for "How to do (insert obscure knot)".
>>
>>1054160
The problem with that mentality is that you literally need to know only like 8 knots for most useful functions.
>>
>>1054162
Well... I did call it an idiot's guide...

I was thinking we might make it an infographic picture to share around for people that are new to knots.
>>
>>1054164
how to make a zip tie out of rope: its called a sail tie, bowline on one end, make a slipknot, then secure it with a slippery half hitch. i hope that makes sense
>>
>>1054164
i say go for it though, but I think there already are a thousand and one know books
>>
>>1054176
Oh I already know a better knot for that... taut line knot or blake's hitch work extremely well for the purpose. In the same regard they also make a great knot for a rope belt.
>>
>>1054178
>>1054176
If anybody wants to help with the idea, I wouldn't mind having a more direct conversation via some other medium like Skype or something.
>>
Okay, so after some quick brainstorming this is what I came up with to put on an infographic.

Tying a load down.
Carrying a bucket or barrel.
Tying two ropes together.
Tying rope to a post or tree.
Turning rope into zip tie.
Making a bottle carrier.
Tying up a bed roll.
Making an adjustable necklace.
Make a belt out of rope.

Anything else that people think is essential?
>>
>>1054184
turks heads are cool as hell, but not essential
>>
File: 1473811108197-826247496.jpg (950KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1473811108197-826247496.jpg
950KB, 2560x1536px
>>1054186
Pic related, a turks head ring I am wearing
>>
>>1054184
Tying your god damn shoe anon. This is essential.
>>
>>1053711
The only knot I can tie is butterfly.

This makes s&m awkwardly cute.
>>
>>1054193
Yeah I guess I'll add that for people who are complete retards.
>>
>>1054193
Revised list perhaps? If you have any different knots preferred for the tasks at hand, feel free to post.

Tying a load down. Trucker's Hitch (Round turn two half hitches for the anchor, slip knot for the loop in

the middle of the rope, two half hitches to secure)
Carrying a bucket or barrel. Barrel Sling Knot
Tying two ropes together. Zeppelin Bend
Tying rope to a post or tree. Round Turn two Half Hitches
Turning rope into zip tie. Blake's Hitch
Making a bottle carrier. Slip Knot
Tying up a bed roll. Slip Knot
Making an adjustable necklace. Double Fisherman's Knot
Tying your shoe. -- Shoe Lace Knot
Make a belt out of rope. Blake's Hitch
>>
>>1054197
Anchoring - Taut line
>>
>>1054199
I'll probably add it based on the fact that it's such a good knot, but I think I'm gonna teach it with 3 wraps instead of 2 for the sake of security. 2 wraps seems to slip so easily to me.
>>
Tying a load down. Trucker's Hitch (Round turn two half hitches for the anchor, slip knot for the loop in the middle of the rope, two half hitches to secure)
Carrying a bucket or barrel. (Barrel Sling Knot)
Tying two ropes together. (Zeppelin Bend)
Tying rope to a post or tree. (Round Turn two Half Hitches)
Turning rope into zip tie. ( Blake's Hitch)
Making a bottle carrier. (Slip Knot)
Tying up a bed roll. (Slip Knot)
Making an adjustable necklace. (Double Fisherman's Knot)
Tying your shoe. (Shoe Lace Knot)
Make a belt out of rope. (Blake's Hitch)
Anchoring with adjustable tension. (Taut line knot)

Anything else to add?
>>
>>1054197
I would add a bowline, its a great knot
>>
>>1054208
Okay done.

This puts us at 12 different viable ideas. I'll be taking pictures tomorrow so I can edit it all together into a viable infographic.
>>
>>1054201
That's because two wraps is not technically a taut line.
>>
>>1053711
OP where you at
>>
>>1054158
Another eagle scout here, I used to know nearly 100 knots, but I can only remember about 12 of them off the top of my head anymore. I keep a laminated knot card in my wallet in case I need a knot I can't remember how to tie. Which isn't often.
>>
>>1054838
Op here. Sorry, I've been busy with work. I'm intending to shoot all the pictures I want Monday and get the infographic together. I've got a general theme and idea of how to do it. My bad, apologies.
>>
File: 1473984149133.jpg (15KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1473984149133.jpg
15KB, 500x500px
>>1053711
Im Knot.
>>
File: Truckers_Hitch.jpg (1MB, 3000x7000px) Image search: [Google]
Truckers_Hitch.jpg
1MB, 3000x7000px
Op here. I decided that it was a lot of information to put down for a beginner to have all of these knots on the same picture, so I decided to do some of them as their own infographic. I created an infographic for the trucker's hitch. Feedback is greatly appreciated.
>>
>>1057497
Your font is distracting.

Also you explained the usage of the knot, but not like how to physically put the rope in a knot.

You must understand people are shit when it comes to making even an overhand knot.
>>
>>1057599
I agree with all this person says
>>
>>1057599
>>1057657
I'll remake it with explanations of the three knots it uses. It will be a bit bigger with those.
>>
Good idea bro,monitoring thread (sailor here, constantly have to re teach my crew so this is of interest)
>>
dont even know how to tie shoelaces, velcros for life
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.