[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Former Rental Property

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: windows.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
windows.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
My neighbor has a former rental property he wants to unload but it's in rough shape

It is 1900 Sq Ft, 5 bed, 1 bath, two levels, dirt floor basement+ crawl space on .37 Acres of land with an unpowered 2 car garage and a barn.

It needs a lot of work. How much can I expect to pay to fix this stuff.

Needs a new roof (it leaks)
One of the bedrooms has a bad ceiling because of leaky roof
Kitchen floor needs jacked up
safe to assume that the cabinets and appliances need replaced.
May need new electrical (still uses a fuse box instead of a breaker)
Re-insulated
new windows
redo the plumbing

I can do this stuff myself so I won't have to deal with contractors.

Also how much should I offer him, he just wants to get rid of it.
>>
>>1053641
shit you would be better off tearing down the house and starting new
>>
>>1053648
So, not worth it? Buy the land and put a modular on it?
>>
If the roof has been leaking that badly and that long, the whole fucking house is rotting now. Adding to that fact, virtually nothing about the house is modern or usable. You're looking at 0.37 acres with a garage, a barn, and a building that needs to be torn down. Price it as such and you won't get a bad deal.
>>
>>1053661
If not the whole house, than the trusses are gone.

Shit, offer 2 grand for the land
and outbuildings.

Grab a repro modular, put it on a foundation and go from there.
>>
>>1053648
I sort of disagree....I would need to see pics of it and know the area the house is in. Even with with a roof leak the trusses may not be junk. 100 year old houses can be pretty resilient. Alot of early lumber was creosote treated and withstand water well...again depends on area and such. You would need to treat it for mold maybe. ..electric isn't bad or hard to do in the old houses. ...after the new box run exterior supply line to the attic and run drops into the upstairs bedrooms and such. You can easily upgrade to ceiling fans etc. I recently renovated an old house like that on a budget. .spending money wisely and doing most work I did it for about 5k....new electric refinished wood work patched walls new appliances and ceiling fans. ..Alot of money can be saved on older city homes which I'm making a wild assumption that this is the case. ..by simply fixing and restoring Alot of the stuff already there...like cooking the 100 years of paint off hinges and stripping off layers of paint to reveal the original wood work. ..modern vintage is in right now. Your biggest expense will be the roof....my guess the siding is shit too....some city communities like the one I'm in have a subsidized program to replace roofs and siding. ..you have very little in either if your community has a program like that. Pics would get a more concise response as well as community the house is in.
>>
>>1053641
crawl underneath and look at the floor joists and see what shape they are whether its a matter of time that all of the floor will cave in. Get on the roof and walk it to see how soft it is and if the roof is really soft thats going to mark it up around 10k for materials (depending on angle) because a lot of the underlayment on the rough is probably fucked. I would say without seeing everything your best bet is to demo it, because the possible materials that you are looking at could cost 30k - 50k. Plus when doing this kind of stuff it is always best to factor in your time at least a little bit.\
If there are really nice wood floors and the barn can be scrapped, you can maybe make some money on the old wood. Also how old is the house?
>>
>>1053667
Sounds like an old house in the city from the description. I've seen houses in that condition restored, but for the people doing it, it's a labor of love. If you do it yourself it will take years.

For the price, adjust your offer to suit the local market.
>>
File: Riz.jpg (39KB, 529x529px) Image search: [Google]
Riz.jpg
39KB, 529x529px
>>1053641
What's the land value in your area?
>Buy it for land price.
>Get fire insurance.
>Accidentally have a fire.
>Build a new house.
>Go to jail for insurance fraud even though it was actually an accident.
>Meet the love of your life in prison.
>You both get out in time to buy the land back from a state tax auction.
>Live happily ever after with your gay prison lover.
>>
>>1054922
Lol, wtf did i just read???

OP, i'm currently living in a shithole just like u described. Bulldoze it and by a modular. Or buy it cheap, pay some drunks 1 grand to trow a tin roof on it and use it as an outbuilding. Or doze it for the hookups and put a modular in. Hell, for cheaps u can buy a load of rock and make it a camper lot and rent it / buy a camper.
>>
Be mindful of insurance and code enforcement, depending on your city/state. Insurance may not like a roof that you put on yourself. Electrical/major plumbing/HVAC are the same.

You may need expensive licensed people anyway.
>>
>>1053641
i paid $100K for a house like you described. it was actually a very good deal. Most people here are saying its worthless. so without stating where you are etc its not telling that much. my roof was not actually that old it just was a very tricky roof and had a couple holes but a lot of water came through. So its really hard to find a roofing contractor who doesn't want to do the most expensive thing.

I would look up a home inspector who maybe is a retired general contractor or something and pay for an inspection. Be there for the inspection and just ask him how much needs to be done. It will probably cost you a couple hundred bucks but they will probably be more optimistic than here. You are gonna wanna have enough money to make the repairs you cant make yourself. But with youtube and some time you could at least do the plumbing yourself. find some used appliances.
>>
>>1055806
In every place in America that I've ever heard of you can do 100% of your own work. It just needs to pass inspection. Once a building/electrical/plumbing inspector says that is meets code, insurance has to cover it the exact same as if you paid the world's greatest contractor to do it.
>>
>>1055838
my town wouldn't let me inspect my chimney. i had to pay about $900 for two inspections and $50 worth of flashing. its quite a racket. it seems like the town should inspect them but they are too busy being fat and falling asleep at their desks
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.