[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

evaporative cooling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: canheater.jpg (117KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
canheater.jpg
117KB, 1280x720px
i can't find anything about the following on the internet. Evaporation takes heat out of an object, so warm air, inside a metal tube with wet cloth on the outside could cool the air inside.
I can't find anyone who has tried it, like in the setup for heating air. (see picture).
Any ideas if it could work?
I lack the equipment to try it, like lots of cans and a thermometer to measure it, but will save up on cans so i can make a larger setup to try it.
>>
>>1053400
go back to school tommy

evaporation only cools the object to surrounding air temperature faster, it won't magically make an ice cube for you
>>
>>1053403
> I don't understand how refrigeration works
>>
>>1053400
What's the application? Just read up on basic refrigeration cycle, compressor vs adsorption cooling, ground geothermal cooling systems if you just want to learn theory, those subjects should get you started.
>>
>>1053417
>i didnt read op at all
>>
>>1053417
That is beyond irrelevant. What does a refrigeration system even have to do with what he said?
>>
>>1053400
It would work if you have a wet cloth on the inside of a tube. Then blow warm air through it, evaporating the wetness of said cloth. The tube will cool down. Ca diyed can contraption will be interesting to see. Intuition says it will suck but who knows? Vent the moist air out.
>>
>>1053417

>I don't understand the difference between evaporative cooling and phase change cooling.
>>
>>1053400
No it won't work, warm air in a tube covered with wet cloth will not cool faster than warm air outside a tube covered with wet cloth
>>
>>1053400
>pic

Those can heaters with the tiny holes in the top/bottom always chafe my autism. They never have large holes for proper air flow and waste like 70% of the heat they generate inside.

OP, what you need to search for is "Swamp Cooler" and "Zeer Pot" aka "Pot-in-pot refrigerator". I think that's the right path for you. You should also ignore 90% of the replies ITT.
>>
>>1053400
https://youtu.be/J_ubf0zqvSQ
>>
File: evap_wut_r493284r298.jpg (158KB, 1042x880px) Image search: [Google]
evap_wut_r493284r298.jpg
158KB, 1042x880px
>>1053400
>i can't find anything about the following on the internet. Evaporation takes heat out of an object, so warm air, inside a metal tube with wet cloth on the outside could cool the air inside.
>I can't find anyone who has tried it, like in the setup for heating air. (see picture).
Evaporative coolers are also called "swamp coolers", and yes, they are a thing--in limited circumstances. (you can even buy them--pic related)

One big problem with evaporative coolers is that they only work well in very arid (desert) environments. Sometimes houses built in the southwest-desert-USA have evaporative coolers built-in to the central air systems--tho they usually have a normal air conditioner as well, because of the over-humidity issue.

An evaporative cooler works well in Nevada, but it won't really work at all in Florida--because of the high ambient humidity in Florida. So nobody has them outside of desert regions.

Another problem that evaporative coolers cause is that if you release too much humidity into the air (in either Nevada or Florida) it begins to grow mold and mildew on EVERYTHING near the cooler. So in practical terms you have that secondary limit to how much you can run the thing, even in a desert home. This is why the desert homes still have a normal air conditioner. Some people run them just for the humidity output they want, and use the normal AC to cool the house the rest of the way as they wish.

~~~~~~~

Do solar air-heating panels work? Yes. That can one doesn't look real impressive but some designs work pretty well and cost very little to make. They don't heat a HUGE amount, but they can kick the air temp up 30-40 degrees F or more in a *really* good setup. That is not enough to do without a furnace in the snowy winter--but it does help lower how much the furnace runs.
The major downside of solar hot-air panels is that they really need to be built onto the building walls (with holes running to the bottom and top) to work well.
>>
>>1053400
where did you get that nice solar charger?
>>
>>1053400
Have you looked at swamp coolers?
>>
File: swamp cooler chart.png (64KB, 546x1118px) Image search: [Google]
swamp cooler chart.png
64KB, 546x1118px
>>1053456
>One big problem with evaporative coolers is that they only work well in very arid (desert) environments.

Swamp coolers are 5-10 degree range of cooling just about everywhere you go. Only places like Death Valley see numbers like 20 degrees.

You always use AC with swamp coolers because they are never very good in the first place.
>>
File: COOLER PIPE.jpg (87KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
COOLER PIPE.jpg
87KB, 1000x1000px
>>1053400
>warm air, inside a metal tube with wet cloth on the outside could cool the air inside.

>Any ideas if it could work?

Yes, it would work.
Use large diameter metal pipe OUTSIDE your room/building.
The pipe should begin and end INSIDE your room/building.
A fan on either or both ends causes your room air to flow through the pipe.
Water applied to the media you have wrapped on the pipe outside will evaporate and cool the air flowing through the pipe.
Having a 'catch basin' under the pipe to collect excess water and pump it back over the media would save water.

pic related - ten minutes in paint
>>
>>1053696
Two things about that design

1. You gotta keep it in the shade or solar heating will negate any evaporative cooling

2. this design is gonna have a small maximum temperature difference it can pull, and that will become even smaller as humidity goes up.
>>
Swamp coolers are probably what you are looking for.
>>
>>1053418
>adsorption cooling

This. But it comes down to capital vs energy costs. The collectors (sloar, geothermal) are expensive, but if you have high energy costs this can be attractive. Or if you have a concentrated source of waste heat (usually industrial).

There are commercial a/c or refrigeration units available where the economics seems to work out. Not so much for residential applications. One thing to do is to check the numbers on adsorption systems vs some PV panels, inverters and a classical compressor based system.

The beauty of a solar powered a/c system is that you need it most exactly when there's lots of sun. So energy storage is a smaller issue.
>>
>>1054575
>sloar,
solar

[Fucking keybroad]
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.