[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Custom made desks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

Sup /diy/
I want to build two desks for me and my brother.
I found a very nice solid pinewood board (18 mm thick) for a decent price, so the countertop part is covered, at least in theory, in both desks.
Now, I was thinking on make the legs on iron pipe, like pic related, but I'm cheap, and also I believe (but not 100% sure, I will ask to their customer support in a few hours, because is too early here) that my nearest hardware store doesn't offer threading and sizing the pipes.
In case of that, I'm looking for some other stores specialized in pipes for that service, but I'm pretty sure that they will me charge a lot for that, because they're small business in a third world hole and shit.
So, I tought: Can I make the iron legs from PVC pipes? Could they resist the almost 10.5 kg of countertop in both desks? Could they resist at least other 20 kg in varied crap, like, for put an example, a PowerMac aluminum case? (that shit weights a lot)
Thanks in advance, /diy/
>>
>>1053399
no, pvc is bendy, i wouldnt put anything expensive on it

unless you get some large diameter pipes
>>
>>1053399
You'll probably have to over design the supports to use PVC piping.

Why can't you cut and thread your own iron pipes?
>>
>>1053405
I was thinking on that, that PVC is too bendy for furniture related crap.
What about build two cabinets of 18mm MDF and put them like pillars?
>>1053408
For the same reason stated in my first post: Too expensive. A thread cutter here is too darn costly to justify it. I have a plumber friend, but that guy doesn't work with iron pipes, he only does copper related shit.
>>
What about fast clamps? Save threading
http://www.fastclamp.com/products.html
>>
>>1053411
>http://www.fastclamp.com/products.html
Crap, I thought on these. Will look here, but I'm pretty sure that Sodimac or Easy doesn't carry that shit too.
>>
>>1053399

Unless you can weld, steel is expensive for a frame. Scaffolding pipe itself is not so bad but the fittings add up too. Simply buying some SPF lumber is much cheaper,

18mm is not a lot, will need a frame underneath for rigidity. You will need to attach it in a way which allows movement along the depth of the table.
>>
OP Here
>>1053464
Thanks Anon. Probably will end going to my original idea: two "cabinets" acting as legs, joined together with a "torsion" box like frame where the countertop will rest.
Really, I'm not going to put too much weight, but I don't want to end with the desk broke with two audio monitor speakers and a 27 inch monitor too.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.