[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

internet cable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: 1110_WVbroadband.jpg (394KB, 2299x1609px) Image search: [Google]
1110_WVbroadband.jpg
394KB, 2299x1609px
i Really need your help guys,
i want to install an internet cable from my house to my garage, but the garage is detached, its about 30 meters away from the house.
digging in the garden is no problem, etc,
i just dont know, do i need a special cable for this or do i just plug an ethernet cable in the modem in my house, put it in the ground, and come up in the garage?
also it needs to be cable, wireless will not do.
apologies for english, not my native language.
thanks!!
>>
You can use regular cable and bury it raw like that.

To use conduit and armored cable would increase its life span. But even in the tropics you can get years out of exposed cable
>>
12mm flex tube with pulling wire. Cost 25$ for 25-30 meters. Saves your cable from wear and having to redo the whole thing.
>>
File: cable_conduit_hose.jpg (76KB, 540x330px) Image search: [Google]
cable_conduit_hose.jpg
76KB, 540x330px
>>1052747
so if i use tubing like in the picture and put in a plain ethernet cat5e cable it should work for a long time right, i'm actually aiming at a lifespan of about 10 years max, by then i will move out of this building, thanks already for the info!
>>
>>1052739
I agree with the other anon, regular cable will last long enough than you need, in a few years time if you want to replace it or upgrade it, it will be easy. Plus, these cables costs a few dollars so it should not be a money problem at all.
>>
If you put the cable in waterproof tubes it'll be just fine
>>
>>1052750

Yes it will last a long time.
>>
Why not suspend it?
>>
>>1052789
With some strong wind the cable could get ruined, and with cold the metal wiring would shrink because of the low temperature, aka getting ruined once again.

In the ground the weather, the high temperatures or low will not concern the cable.
>>
>>1052789
i would prefer it to be out of sight, its pretty much an open field between house and garage so it would 'hang' between the two buildings

but thanks a lot everybody, i think i'll be able to get it to work now, thank you!
>>
>>1052797
>the ground doesn't freeze
>burrowing animals don't exist

At least if it's suspended, you can quickly see if it's damaged instead of adding "dig up my entire fucking garden" to your network troubleshooting flowchart.
>>
>>1052739
I know they make 'outdoor resistant' ethernet cables, I'm sure you could get a nice long one online somewhere
>>
black 19mm retic tubing is dirt cheap and smooth. I dug a trench and laid the retic tubing then fed my cat5e cable through it before filling the trench in. 5 years later and no issues. distance was over 30m. terminated in a standard wall point each end coz I had my krone punchdown tool but couldn't find my crimpers.
>>
What you could do is get some 1 inch thick PVC pipe and bury that and run cable through it
>>
>>1052739
if you want it to last a while, PVC pipe buried underground. Feed it through. It doesn't get any simpler.
>>
>>1052739
In my experience i wouldnt bury it period. Had too many cables go out and it be too much of a hassle to re run cable
>>
>>1053194

You literally tie one to the other and pull it through.
>>
They make jell flooded cable specifically for underground applications.
>>
Get cable rated for outdoors. I've seen standard indoor cable shred fast due to UV exposure.

Burying PVC pipe and running a cable through it sounds like a good idea, as long as there are minimal turns. There are a lot of good tricks to feed cable through hundreds of feet of conduit, so 30m should be fine.
>>
File: 1373650861639.jpg (184KB, 818x640px)
1373650861639.jpg
184KB, 818x640px
>>1053196
>never had a conduit collapse or corrode into nothing
ITT Amateurs
Though of course, burying a conduit is good, unless you really like playing with a ditch witch. DO NOT FORGET TO CALL USA/UNDERGROUND LOCATES/LOCAL UTILITIES. JESUS CHRIST MOTHER FUCKERS, YOUR BACKYARD MIGHT HAVE SHIT IN IT, YOU MIGHT NOT KNOW. IT COULD BE A FUCKING HIGH PRESSURE GAS PIPELINE.

----------
https://cabling-supplies.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/786/?gclid=CKWw5tLdiM8CFY-DaQod-qoLDA

Buy something that is correct for the job you are going to do. For $10 more than what you'd pay for regular cat5, you could get burial rated.

Burial offers you: A much tougher jacket that is not water permeable--Normal cable is going to be soaked and shorting out within 5 years, even if it's inside conduit. Conduit is water permeable, regular cat5 is water permeable.

Optional but recommended features are: shielding (And using shielded connectors) This increases rodent protection and high voltage/lightning protection and is REQUIRED if the buildings are fed from different power panels.
Gel filled: This further increases water and corrosion resistance. The only reason not to get it is because it's gross to work with. It takes the lifespan of the cable to forever as long as something doesn't hit it with a shovel or a rodent eat it.

For 30m it's probably not worth it to switch to fiber optic, but it's not as expensive as you might think. Most long inter building runs are fiber these days, but 30m isn't much. If you're not opposed to it looking like shit, running it aerial between the buildings isn't that bad, and it'd be so easy to install and replace I wouldn't bother with rated cable.
>>
>>1052739
PVC Ethernet cable might also not be approved for build code in certain areas. The safest and highest speed (for the price) way to go is to buy plenum cat 5e or cat 6 Ethernet cable, unless you can justify spending on a fiber line.

Reason is that cat 6 & 5e are both shielded for electromagnetic interference (if it's ran near power lines) and the plenum cable is burn resistant, non-toxic if burned, and more rigid so you can run it straight through >>1052750 more easily.

source (skip to 4:00)
https://www.cybrary.it/video/rj11-db-9-and-plenum-vs-pvs/
>>
Get direct burial rated cable. Use a shovel and dig no more than 4 inches down. And you should be fine without getting your land surveyed. Cable contractors have a fancy tool that shoved the cable 2-3 inches in the ground without digging a hole or getting surveyed. All the important things in your yard should be over a foot deep. I've had it connecting my house and my neighbors house for high speed backups of each other's data and had no issues even though the cable is right at the 100m limit for cat6. Then God for TCP. I am using lightning suppressors and a cheap buffer switch at either end. Don't want to blow out the expensive NASs or routers. Could it have been wireless? Sure. Would it have been cheaper? Yep.
>>
>>1053285
Also to avoid suspicion of us sharing internet, which we aren't, I used two totally different looking boxes for the cable connections on the outsides of our houses. Mine has a standard outdoor PVC electrical box with some dummy conduit run down into the ground by the Ac unit, and theirs is an old style alarm box with a light on it that he tied into his alarm system. It even flashes if it goes off.
>>
Use ethernet cable, but make it waterproof. And use the right type, like CAT5E or CAT6, or something else.
>>
>>1053249

OP is obviously from brazil and shielded would be $100 more and would take him 100 days of work with no spending of any sort, for him to purchase it.
>>
>>1052739
UV resistant
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.