[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Installing electrical wall box

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: IMAG1204.jpg (655KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1204.jpg
655KB, 1520x2688px
Hey /diy/,
My dumbass bought an ikea backlit mirror without realizing I needed to install an electrical wall box. I want to wire it in to turn on with the light above the sink of course but accessing my attic is a bit of an issue. It's a small opening in a closet I can't really access to go up in and is probably full of spiders. I have been googling and checking out videos and the best I found had the idea of starting wiring at the switch and using a magnetic roller to pull the wiring up to whatever new hole you cut. This falls to shit If I have a stud in the way and the roller is hella expensive. I'm not oputside hiring an electrician but I enjoy doing things myself and live in a very rural area; so whatever the average estimate would be it would cost more than it's worth. I know I'm being a picky asshole but just wanted to hear any other ideas or suggestions. Pic is of existing light and switch; wanting to cut in and set a wall box about 3 feet up from the sink. Open to any ideas. Thanks for your time.
>>
>>1052399
Can you not just spice an extra run from the switch, then run it outside, route it neatly along the wall so it will look nice?

I mean that is pretty much the only option, or you can just diy a roller with some magnets and strings... it can't be hard

or use a bent hanger wire and do some fingering shit...
>>
>>1052399
Stop being a pussy.
Clean out the closet, man up over the spiders and run the wire correctly.
>>
Cut hole in sheetrock. Cut slot in sheetrock from there to switch. Run wire. Install cab. Patch sheetrock, paint whole bathroom (all paint matches)
>>
>>1052481
This.
>>
>>1052501
>>1052407

These guys are fucking retarded.

NOTE: If there are no neutrals in the switch box, you'll have to go from the attic... Which would be a lot easier in the first place as it is literally just be adding a 14/2 to the light, dropping it down through the top plate into the hole for the new outlet... But here's the hard way since you want to be a stubborn cunt:

1) Cut hole for outlet box. Either find a stud and make the hole to the right of it, or use a cut in box.

2) Open up the switch box and remove the box. Make sure you cut the power at the breaker before doing this...

3) Use a flex bit from both holes such that you will have a hole going all the way through the corner studs.

4) Strip a couple inches off a 14/2 and make a small loop on the ground (bare) wire. Cut the two insulated wires off. Insert this from the new outlet box hole into the hole you drilled into the corner studs. You should be able to see it from the switch box. Use a wire hook to drab onto it and pull it through to the switch box.

5) Strip about 7 inches of the 14/2 and put it in the switch box. Pigtail the hot (black wire) to the existing load side of the switch. Join the neutral (white) with the existing neutral group. Remount switch box and cover plate.

6) Install receptacle.

7) Turn on power.
>>
>>1052399
>It's a small opening in a closet I can't really access to go up in and is probably full of spiders.

Stopped reading right there. This is /diy/ not /pansy/
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.