[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's this called?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

Hi everyone,

I just bought a old library card catalogue so I can sort and store my Magic: The Gathering cards as bitchin'ly as possible.

I've been attacking the top and sides with Goo Gone to get rid of the leftover packing tape and sticker residue, and that's taking a while. On the bottom is a thin rubber/plastic strip that the university put on the bottom to protect it from the custodians' brooms and mops. What's that strip called? Wondering if I can buy a new strip, or put something similar over it. I could try to remove it, but honestly, it's gonna be hard to remove.
>>
>>1051762
The strip at the bottom is called a toe kick plate/strip. You can get them at home depot. They are usually pretty cheap, but can be expensive if you decide to get one made out of brass or something.
>>
>>1051766
I just did a search, and I can't find anything as a strip called a "toe kick". The corners are curved, so I can't just cut a piece of board.
>>
>>1051771
above anon is right, toe kick/toeboard/plinth - but its basically just a bit of wood - if thats got rounded corners, its complete custom thing.

IKEA sells standard kickboards, those clip onto the cabinet feet tho. I dont know why you need to remove existing, jut recover in a new piece of vinyl, or replace with new (non-rounded edge) kickboard. Various concepts furthered here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEDak4pT5jA

wasting that on MTG cards tho..
>>
>>1051762
One of my ex bosses loved mtg. Problem was he thought everybody else did too and would go on for hours about it.
I thought you were him until I saw how nice your house is.
>>
>>1051787
The girlfriend would be happy you think it's a nice house!

I love MTG, only been playing a couple of years, but it's the best game ever. Plus, unlike your boss, I've used MTG to MAKE friends, and now meet up with a largish group of people once a week at the local family-owned card shop and play super friendly (yet competitive and fun) tournaments.

I understand how you can get wrapped up in it and what to rant about it, but you need the right audience. Nobody wants to hear someone go on for an hour about something they don't understand or care about. Now, we'll chat for hours about it, but we ALREADY PLAY.

Anyway... YES! I want to replace the VINYL, for now anyway. Maybe one day I'll invest in a brass toe kick, just where do I find that stuff? On alibaba there's cool printed PVC stuff, but how do I find a reasonable amount of it?
>>
>>1051790
>On alibaba there's cool printed PVC stuff, but how do I find a reasonable amount of it?

wut? - i find the 'quantity' box v. helpful in obtaining my required amounts by online ordering, personally, however, your own mileage may vary. Or goto an Art Supplies Store (online/irl), they usually sell this stuff, be quicker than waiting on Alis flying carpet deliveries.
>>
>>1051762
So what are you going to put in drawers?

Cards look nice displayed up on the top.
>>
>>1051800
The collection of cards. On top is a simple "land station" collection of the 5 basic land types. Those cards are so abundant they're absolutely worthless, but you need them to play. Inside the draws I plan to store actual cards, and probably some deck boxes and whatnot because those drawers are massive and can hold way more cards than I'll own in the next decade.

Here's my land station. I bought cheap wooden boxes at the dollar store, took off the tops, sanded them down, and mixed craft stain and acrylic paint and stained them the appropriate colour. Also I glued some cork to the bottom to be fancy.
>>
Also cat.
>>
File: 1473447236241-441122994.jpg (356KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1473447236241-441122994.jpg
356KB, 2048x1152px
>>1051771
>corners are curved
Do mitered baseboard and make a little piece to fill the gap. Rudimentary drawing related.
>>
>>1051762
Protip: That isn't a kick plate. That is vinyl wall base.

How much did you pay for the card catalog? Those things fetch a premium price here.
>>
>>1051771

In architectural hardware (doors and windows) they were called kick plates.
>>
Better picture of the bottom please.
>>
>>1051809
Paid $300 Canadian.
>>
>>1051814
That is a good price. I've seen hip furniture stores selling these well over 1k in Murica.
>>
>>1051816
Oh yeah, I'm sure. 250 USD I'd say I paid. Canadian dollar is bad.

Also, I need to unscrew metal rods from their knob part on the front but some are stuck. What's the trick?
>>
>>1051821
Penetrating oil or heat.

Oil ir probably the wise choice since heat + wood isn't good.
>>
File: received_10154594911174701.jpg (43KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
received_10154594911174701.jpg
43KB, 960x540px
>>1051812
>>
>>1051824
If it goes all the way around the bottom. I'd get some vinyl wall base. We used it to protect the bases of old furniture at the school I used to manage. It generally has a cove base, but you can find flat too.
>>
>>1051824
See >>1051808
Anything less would be uncivilised.
>>
>>1051781
What the hell else is the average Joe going to put in it? Libraries rarely use physical card files anymore. Better than it being thrown away.
>>
>>1051874
>(small) tools, components, dismantled bitz of thingz in 'put this back together, later' state - know a few girls that would show you a good time if they could steal that for their kitchen (herbs/spices/teas/whateverthefuck..) as well.

Got a six drawer someone who worked in a librurry gave me - used for screws and stuff, but, looks good, one that size in a workshop be nice.

AND I WAS ONLY JOKING ABOUT MTG BEING AN AUTISTIC WASTE OF FUCKING TIME ANYWAY; JEEZUS; WHY IS EVERY FUCKER SO TOUCHY ON /diy/ ALL TEH FUCKING TIME NOW, EH?
>>
>>1051897
ITT: One guy says someone's idea is a waste, someone else says it's not a waste, first guy freaks out because the other person disagreed.

You're the only one who's being touchy, Anon.
>>
>>1051897
Sorry. Literally every week some HVAC Guy, Mr. X faggot rolls through and starts screeching about Kids These Days and Those Damn Millennials. It's a reflex st this point.
>>
Very cool score anon! Thanks for sharing.

>jealous, would love a cabinet like that for small little thing storage
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.