[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm restoring a 56 years old french motorbike. Yesterday

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: WP_20160908_12_45_58_Pro.jpg (650KB, 1632x916px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160908_12_45_58_Pro.jpg
650KB, 1632x916px
I'm restoring a 56 years old french motorbike.

Yesterday I cleaned this part and today it rained and those orange mark appeared.

How do I prevent them from appearing again?
>>
That is called rust.

You prevent it by not allowing moisture to reach the bare metal. You can do so by either applying some sort of solid coating like a spray lacquer or by applying a liquid coating like an oil.

Oil is likely what you want in this application.
>>
Gently sand with fine sandpaper till it's gone. Make sure it is very dry (put in oven at low temp if it's not) and spray with WD-40. That should keep rust from forming for years.
>>
>>1051196
Kek
>>
>>1051194
Chances are it was originally painted.
More than likely black. See if you can find any old photos to verify.
Theres also actual silver paint.
>>
Throw it away, the metal has gone bad. The orange stuff is metal mold.
>>
>>1051194
You apply a oil of sorts after renoving it tonorevent more rust
>>
File: concrete floats.png (1MB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
concrete floats.png
1MB, 1200x800px
>>1051194
I'm restoring old bike as well (Jawa babetta 207)
How did you clean it? Any techniques i should know?
(pic is carburetor float which was in terrible shape)
>>
File: WP_20160908_20_41_55_Pro[1].jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160908_20_41_55_Pro[1].jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
>>1051195
Ok I applied oil. How often do I need to do it? like every 3 month?

>>1051239
No it wasn't paint.

>>1051242
I fixed it... so kek.

>>1051280
I used this, but the piece was just very dirty, not rusted, so I only used White Spirit and a brush to clean it up and then I used the screwgun to polish it and make it look nice and new.
>>
Just curious, is it a Motobecane?
>>
You may give a try to "owatrol rustol" (in any french gsb). Il will protect metal from rust, but will let an "oily" finish after drying.
>>
>>1051293
Yeah it's a Motoconfort AU88 from 1960. It's in pretty good shape (not rusted) but it's very dirty and the piston is stuck.
>>
>>1051306
Wow, those are hard to find.
I'm working on an early 70s Mobylette. Waiting on a new carb and wheels and it should be ateast rideable.

It's hard going, especially if you don't live in Europe. Good luck.
>>
>>1051194
I got the babetta >>1051280 for 100 euros.
It's wiring was fucked up by the old owner, front tire had leaks, piston rings were fucked, all cylinder gaskets had turned into dust, carb was leaking and not to mention the head ache that i got while i was figuring what the absolut fuck was grass doing inside the cylinder... was this deal worth it? It's running great now and cost me 20 bucks for the spare parts.
>>
>>1051309
Well, the previous owner (who bought it in 1960) was ditching it, so I got it for free.
Personnaly I live in France so it's pretty easy.
Good luck to you as well.
>>
>>1051333
About the stuck piston op. It might just be rust. Best way is going to add about 2 tea spoons of motor oil something kinda thin. And HAND CRANK the engine. There should be a bolt somewhere off the transmission under a cover that allows you to turn over the whole engine. If its a point based electrical system, it should be right around where the nodes are at.

Don't force anything but give it a good push or two. Could at least free up the piston. An leave the spark plug out while you try to turn it too.

Rust wont damage a steel cylinder wall.
>>
>>1051330
>It's running great now and cost me 20 bucks for the spare parts.

What was the solution for >>1051167
>>
>>1051449
I had ultrasonic washed the carb before so i thought there wasn't any blockages. I just disassembled the whole carb and used the ultrasonic cleaner on the float valve and such. Apparently there was some white gunk inside the valve which prevented it from closing properly.
>>
File: image.jpg (16KB, 235x187px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16KB, 235x187px
>being so stupid that you don't even know what rust is

METAL+WET+AIR=RUST
>>
>>1051196
My mentor uses brass toothbrushes and WD-40 to restore casting patina on antique motorcycles. Works very fucking well, including his Vincent Rapide worth about 70K dollaroos.
>>
>>1051194
I really suggest you look into antique motorcycle forums. Post pics of your bike, and post YEAR, MAKE AND MODEL because the 4chan posting custom of zero details is fucking retarded.

Jockey Journal is also a good place for unusual vintage projects.
>>
>>1051738
>4CHAN+DIY+SHITPOST=RUSED
>>
>>1051194
>56 year old French motorbike

Has anybody made the joke yet about it having four reverse gears and one forward gear in case of an attack from the rear?
>>
>>1051738
>>1052024

I know it's rust, I just wanted to know how to prevent it
>>
File: Mike-Sanders.jpg (56KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Mike-Sanders.jpg
56KB, 640x480px
>>1051299
Owatrol is a ripoff, it is just linseed oil finis mixed with naphta (lighter fuel). Just use linseed oil pure if you want the same effect, it is cheaper. While it is a good start, it is less than perfect. What you want is a coat that will stay greasy, and will not dry, so it will stick to the metal permanently.
One proven thing is "cable grease" like for the cables of cable cars. This stuff sticks like hell and yet stays flexible.
Another very good thing is NATO PX11, also sold under the name "Mike Sanders" in Europe. It is basically 90% petroleum jelly (vaseline) mixed with 10% bee wax. It has a consistency of shoe polish, but will contunue to creep into notches and gaps for years. Many people swear by this to rust-proof their cars.
I mixed some cable grease with a special soft grease and applied like 10-12kg of it to the underbody and cavities of my car. It will never rust again, that is for sure.
>>
>>1052677

That's Italians, the French have 2 gears (surrender/collaborate) and the Swiss have one...

Neutral...
>>
>>1053509

Nickel Plating.
>>
>>1051242
Lost
>>
>>1051291
>it wasn't paint
Dude that thing was old before you were born and repainted 3 times before you got it.
Try to find some original advertisements, check the forums.
It was not shipped as raw cast iron/steel- it would have flash rusted before it hit the showroom.
>>
The brown stuff you see there is wood starting to form: When metal is combined with water and oxygen it turns into wood eventually. For example maybe you've seen those old wooden wagon wheels? Those were of course made of steel like the wheels used today, but over time they turned to wood. To stop this from happening you need to make sure to always keep your parts in an oxygen free environment.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.