[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any tips on making a horizontally rotation housing? It should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: received_661683270674979.jpg (85KB, 1080x1473px) Image search: [Google]
received_661683270674979.jpg
85KB, 1080x1473px
Any tips on making a horizontally rotation housing? It should hold a solar panel. I've already got a dc motor from a windshield wiper that should give the needed power. My problem is how to move the rotation from the dc motor to that housing. Ive already made a concept idea(pic related, only horizontal axis is needed), what I need is some conrete solutions that were already made and used. Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.
>>
'Solar Panel Tracker', multi-axis
>>
Yea, but i only found some wiring and/or arduino code solutions, not mechanical part hoe to make that rotation thing, and its only one axis
>>
>>1050780
>Any tips on making a horizontally rotation housing? ... Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.
Assuming it's a pretty small/light-weight thing--
I would skip the DC motor and just buy and use stepper motors instead. A stepper motor makes definite steps, that a microcontroller can count as it progresses. This ends up being MUCH easier to deal with, in terms of programming controlled incremental movement.

The problem with a DC motor is that there is no quick and convenient way to regulate exactly how far it rotates when any amount of power is applied for any amount of time. You need an absolute rotary encoder for that, and there's no cheap or easy solutions to get or make one.

As for how to move it, you could just use some linear stepper motors for both axis.
It would not be able to rotate more than 180°, but then, it doesn't need to rotate that far anyway. In the early morning and late evening you're probably not going to get a lot of power anyway, so just tracking from like 9 AM to 6 PM is enough.

To make a vertical pivot, go buy two cheaper normal/horizontal ball-bearing pillow blocks, fasten them to a board and stick that on the [ vertical ] pole. (the pole will need to be 3/4" ~ 1" or so, whatever the pillow blocks are sized for) The pillow block collars have a little set screw in them to keep the axle from sliding lengthwise; just tighten the shaft collars so it stays at the top of the pole.
>>
File: avalanche.jpg (77KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
avalanche.jpg
77KB, 600x600px
>>1050780
>Yea, but i only found some wiring and/or arduino code solutions, not mechanical part hoe to make
First, if you want to use the DC motor, go right ahead.

To drive it, dump the Mu-C, it's not needed. Buy some FETs that can handle the current and assemble into a H-bridge, opto-coupled transistors to govern it, and diodes for kick back draining. Typical shit, just look up H-bridge circuits. They are simple and VERY useful.

Drive the opto-coupled BJTs with light sensitive diodes.

And here's where the mechanics start.

Place the diodes in thin pipes, about 4" long, 1/2" ID f.ex.

Mount the pipes on the frame that's turning such that each is +/- 85 degrees from the center line.

This will allow the 'eyes' to see slightly behind, so to let the unit turn 180 degrees when dawn pops up, but also biased heavily toward the 'front' so the system will point itself in the right direction.

To actuate, place your DC motor on a board and attach this by hinges to the base. Arrange a bolt or the like so you can draw the motor away and tension a belt from a pulley on it to the drive axial pulley.

There's other ways to tension a pulley belt, but they are all more complex.

Wire the H-bridge around the motor's leads and you good.

Oh yeah, the axial-- you can simply take some blocks of wood or whatever and some pipe that's ID is a wee bit bigger than the OD of your shaft (or use a pipe for the shaft too, kek) it will spin good. Just drill holes in your wood blocks, then cut them in half.

Clamp the chunk of pipe acting as a bearing by screwing the halves back together. You could also slightly undersize the hole and hammer the pipe in.

There, cheep bearing block. Put that in the base, and for good stability put a 2nd one on there too, above the pulley.

The actuation side of the shaft, just drill a hole thru it and put a bolt thru there to fix a block to it, connect block to the rest of the frame that spins.

There, now you have another solution
>>
Hey sorry for the late reply, will definitely use your tips.
>>
Questions: how heavy, how tall, surface area of panel, budget
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.