[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Howdy degenerates. The previous owner of my house laid pavers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 0905161159.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
0905161159.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
Howdy degenerates. The previous owner of my house laid pavers (poorly) and filled in the gaps with mortar. It's now cracking and flaking off, generally looking like shit.

What should I use to fill in the gaps when I break away the crumbling mortar? I want it to last for at least 3 years b/c I'm renting here until then.

Pic obviously related.
>>
>>1049871
>renting

Why the fuck are you doing free work for your landlord?

Polymeric sand is the latest craze.
>>
>>1049875
Yeah, good question. He told me he'd pay for materials if I want to fix it. I've got a good amount of free time on my hands and would like to learn some new skills. Also, if I have to be here for the next 3 years, would rather it look nice.
>>
>>1049871
pebbles or gravel
>>
>>1049871
that is not really mortar, it looks like pure cement.
the laziest but retarded simple way is you pick all that shit out and then mix up some dry cement powder with some sand and then dump it on the stones and brush it into the gaps. tap it down then water it with a fine mist gently
but this is the shit easy way so it won't be great but it will be better than that

read http://www.pavingexpert.com/jointing05.htm
>>
>>1049897
I'm pretty sure it is mortar, there's a half empty bag in the garage. If I redo it, should I use cement powder over mortar? Also, 50/50 mix with sand?
>>
>>1049871
Don't do permanent changes to your unit. Sure he may verbally say it's okay and pay for material but he'll conveniently forget in three years and take the whole thing out of your deposit as uncontracted and unlicensed work.
>>
Honestly if you want it to last for 3 years remove the old mortar. Reset with at least an inch around, pour sand and sweep into the gaps. Home depot sells huge bags of sand for like 15 bucks.
>>
>>1049973
Can't do that if it is less than 500 dollhairs
>>
>>1049996
>Reset with at least an inch around,
This
poor placement of stones is part of the original problem
re-lay them with space between each of them
>>
>>1050059
Remember people, MORTAR is meant to hold/bind stones and such together. NOT SPAN SEVERAL INCHES OF SPACE LIKE CONCRETE!!!

Mortar is strongest when it only has a couple centimeters to bind different stones and bricks AND has a solid foundation.

Rent one of those vibrating machines from a menards or some such and go over all those stones once you lay them out over sand. Will keep them from "settling" and cracking the new mortar job. Sweep in some large chunk gravel to fill those large voids, then once you only have less than 2 cm voids, THEN use the mortar.
>>
Ground cover. Looks nice, will last three years, feels good under the toesies.
>>
>>1049871

I just did the exact same thing last year. Step 1) chisel out as much as possible and then use the high-pressure tip on your power washer to get out as much as possible. Step 2) fill the cracks with a polymeric sand.

I filled the gaps with sand as best as possible, then poured more out and swept it into the cracks. Watered a bit, came back and did the sweeping thing again for 2 more days.

It's still holding up and looks a TON better than the original crappy mortar joints.
>>
>>1049936
what is mortar? it is cement and sand.
unless its lime mortar which is different.
its not a 1:1 mix, google it depending on the application, you can do a whole fucking college course on mixing cements.
>>
>>1050269
>Step 1) chisel out as much as possible and then use the high-pressure tip on your power washer to get out as much as possible. Step 2) fill the cracks with a polymeric sand.

We're done here. Last one out shut off the lights.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.