[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup DIY, having a litter problem and was hoping someone with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 20160905_122829.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160905_122829.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Sup DIY,

having a litter problem and was hoping someone with some experience could give me a hand.
The other day my wife noticed water spots above the sink in my downstairs bathroom. Peeling back the drywall I found pic related, which is the drain pipe for my upstairs shower. I've run the shower on both hot and cold for a while and haven't see any leaks or things like that.
This leads me to believe that it may be condensation. I don't know how to take care of this as there is no room for insulating the pipes with that foam stuff. If anyone has an idea, please let me know.

Tl;Dr upstairs shower drain sweating into downstairs ceiling, what do?
>>
maybe leave a gap in the wall so that it can ventilate
>>
>>1049782
I don't follow. Are you saying that when I put the new ceiling up to cut around the pipe, or literally leave a gap between the ceiling and the wall?

Both of those sound like they'd look gross but I'm probably misunderstanding you.
>>
>>1049777

Bring a section of the wall 5 cm forward?
>>
>>1049777
I doubt its sweating.
Its probably leaking under specific condions and dripping down to the lowest point.
Like one of the mixer valves leaks at a specific position or the floor flexes around the drain when theres a persons weight on it.
>>
>>1049804
That's a good point, I'll try some things out
>>
Found it. The leak originates from the fitting that attaches directly to the shower drain. Now I just have to see about fixing that.
>>
File: 15420_image3.jpg.cf.jpg (48KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
15420_image3.jpg.cf.jpg
48KB, 400x400px
>>1049855
Hopefully the drain unscrews- if so coat everything, and I do mean everything, with pic related. Pipe threads, top side and bottom side of shower base where the drain attaches
>>
>>1049777
Post pic of upstairs shower drain w/o cover on. Probably needs gasket replaced.
>>
>>1049777
Post pic of your wife naked while showering. Trust me, I'm a plumber.
>>
>>1050509
Yeah OP, we are going to need to see all of her especially seeing whether the water being dispersed on her body is causing the pipes to leak and if you could surprise her that would give us a better sight, for plumbing science purposes.
Personally I would take that joint apart and clean out the hair and see if that helps.
>>
>>1049855
that should have been the first or second place to look
>>
put something over drain, stopper, or pull strainer off and use shampoo bottle (that what our lazy asses do on the job). Fill shower up to like 2 inches. that will test the pan and seam of pan to drain. And it will somewhat replicate a person standing in there.

If its leaking at pan to drain and you don't mind it looking strange, you can cut out the tile like 6 inches around and try to glue in new pan material around and into the drain.

BUT, more common and most likely, is that it's a shit joint, but only leaks cause the water is backing up in the drain. Look down after pulling grate off, see if waters standing higher than it should (above the level of the trap) or if it's draining slow. Snake the drain and see if that stops the leak. I've seen lots of shit joints that only leak when it's draining slow or backing up.

Also, look down into the drain to see if the hole is smaller than it should be. I see lots of places where some mix of shampoo/soap/shit leaching from the grout and tile form some concrete/calcium type mix. I grab a 1 inch pipe and keep bouncing/ pounding it into that shit with water running to push it on down the drain in small chunks. works just fine. But remember you are trying to scrape the sides of the pipe, don't hit the trap and knock it loose.
>>
>>1049855
If you mean pipe to drain, you can clean out the inside, dry it and clear or purple primer and blue glue (lava/ rain or shine). Blue glue by itself can work on pressure lines even with some water, but if you can it's a lil better to use primer.
Before doing it, put a large rag on a string down there to catch excess, then pull up when done, but before glue cures.

>>1049889
Upper drain/ the part you adjust to match tile level is very rarely going to unscrew without first knocking some grout out. But regardless, even if the threads were shit, (and lots have channels cut out to help drain from the weep holes) once water gets down to that level there's nowhere for it to go except down the drain. Remember there are weep holes above the pan/below the screw in part of the drain assembly. (Tile/grout is NOT waterproof, it just has water run off easily. there is always some water passing through down to the pan and draining into the weep holes above the part that bolts down sandwiching the pan to the drain)
>>
Couple other things.
After zooming in on picture better, the wet wood looks like the pan is leaking. Make sure water is draining quickly (which might allow it to just run on past whatever is screwed up, just like your car door gaskets are able to keep rain out, but not standing water/ pressure washer)

Test pan by filling shower with water, see if its leaking just at the drain, or somewhere else (careless people nailing low but not sealing, shit between pan and floor finally rubbing hole into pan, or nail that worked its way loose and into pan)

If just leaking at drain, you might be able to carefully remove tile and whatever kind of bed is under it around the drain and patch or fix it.

If it's leaking farther up or farther from drain, you're gonna have to redo the pan most likely, (remove tile on floor and a few inches up wall, the bed, and pan) or at least making sure water never pools high enough to get to hole in pan.

There was a subdivision here like 30 years ago where the guys screwed up pans on several houses in a row, then just went back and used like Thompson water seal all over the floors and lower wall. You can do that, use those sticky treads on the floor and hope for the best if you are broke or otherwise can't do it.

Finally, go ahead and remove handle and cover on shower valve, turn it on (you can remove shower head and cap the arm with a half inch cap if you really want to test it.) and look/listen for leaks that are just running down wall and going between pan and floor and then finding its way to hole in floor for drain. (that might be the most likely)
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.