[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

French cleats

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_3023.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3023.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
What is your opinion of french cleats?

I tore out the pegboard in the garage (which sucks balls - never do this) and replaced it with a heavy duty implementation of French cleats. So for most of this 3-day weekend I've been dreaming up tool racks. Haven't quite figured out how I want it all organized, but that's the nice thing about French cleats. You don't need to know, just start building racks and tool holders and let it all come into place later.
>>
File: IMG_3021.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3021.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Screwdriver and misc tool holders.

Basically just pieces of plywood with holes in them.
>>
File: IMG_3022.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3022.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Just a piece of plywood with a bunch of oak dowels inserted at a 75 degree angle.

Can hold various objects like hammers, etc, and things with holes.
>>
File: IMG_3020.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3020.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
You can see the vise on the left. I'm not sure if I like this configuration, since the cleat gets in the way. I may take off the opposing french cleat from the vise and drill two large holes in the base instead. I would make a mount by making a board with two protruding bolts or large dowels to hang the vise.
>>
File: IMG_3019.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3019.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Air tool rack.

It's a piece of aluminum angle iron (didn't want to use steel so it wouldn't chew up brass air fittings) with grooves filed into them, screwed into a piece of wood with a slight angle cut into one side so there is no chance of the tools sliding off accidentally, screwed into a 2x4 with a cleat glued and screwed on its back.

I miscalculated a couple things. I first had screwed the angle iron directly into the 2x4, which didn't give the tools enough clearance from the wall behind them, and held the tools at a 90 degree angle from the ground. This made it easy for the tools to slide off the rack and crash to the ground. This was solved by adding the beveled piece of wood in between. Seven 2.5" kreg screws and a liberal application of wood glue clamp the whole sandwich together.
>>
>>1049587
Is this a euro thing?
We have a much more modular system in the U.S
>>
>>1049596
And we just clip in whatever hook we need.
>>
>>1049599
For the record, I hate peg board, and I would do OP's style instead because pegboard always seems cheap and craptacular
>>
>>1049599
>>1049596
OP here. I'm American as apple pie.

I took the pegboard out and threw it all into the trash. They suck and the hooks that are available never inspired confidence. I would never hang my vise from pegboard, but it's childs play for these are 8ft long, 6 inch wide pieces of ply screwed into all the studs behind them with 3" decking screws.
>>
>>1049605
Well
>>1049600
Was also me.
Was just curious of the benefits
>>
>>1049587
Great for hanging a TV or a really heavy picture. I even have a floating shelf that uses it. That said, I use screws to fix the cleat in place so it can't move. Earthquake country and all that. One good tumble and it will jump right off the wall. It would probably make it much less convenient for a workplace shelving system, though.
>>
>>1049626
My old man put up 3.5" wide cleats spaced 12" on center. Just above each of the cleats he ran a strip of wood.the units all latch into the cleat, and then he's got long triangular shims that slide into each other which lock between the cleated unit and the strip above the cleat to lock it in place.
>>
French faguette here. AMA about french clits
>>
>>1049605
>I would never hang my vise from pegboard,

I can't imagine many vise activities that I would want to do with it hanging on a french cleat; usually a vise means that you will be using some degree of force.

also, your air tools look like you never use them. are you one of these rich guys I run into who have a workshop filled with 20 thousand dollars worth of wood working tools but they never use them?
>>
>>1049746
>I can't imagine many vise activities that I would want to do with it hanging on a french cleat
storage
>>
>>1049746
It is all new for the most part..I'm a new homeowner and just started buying tools a little over a year ago.
>>
>>1049761
The first thing I like to do with a 40 pound vise is see if I can hang it from my tool wall. Bolt it to your workbench like its supposed to be.
>>
File: IMG_3030.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3030.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Made a magnet wall thing. Yes, one of the magnet holes wasn't drilled right and yes it is painful for my autism.
>>
File: IMG_3031.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3031.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Made a drill hanger / charging station.

I ran out of my construction-grade ply so I had to use baltic birch that I was hoping to save for some indoor project.
>>
File: IMG_3032.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3032.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Also I batched out several of these hook things. They are to fill the niche that the pegboard hooks served, but a lot more secure. They are just dowels drilled and inserted at a 85 degree angle so things don't slide off them.
>>
>>1049626
you can also use some liquid nail or some good polyurethane adhesive if its hard to get to the cleats. if its something that i know i might have to replace someday ill use a bead or a few globs of silicone so i wont have to fsu taking it off.
>>
Next up: holder for my Kreg pocket hole jig (greatest woodworking tool ever), cubby for lubes and paints, etc
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.