[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

2-Stroke Waverunner Advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: waveventure.jpg (96KB, 800x597px) Image search: [Google]
waveventure.jpg
96KB, 800x597px
I have been gifted a 1996 Yamaha Waveventure 1100 from a family member. It has been sitting, uncovered, for 10 years in a field. It was winterized before it sat, I am told. Upon a visual inspection, nothing seemed off, although I have not bothered to turn the engine over yet.

Family member says it SHOULD run if I put a new battery in it. I want it to run, and I hope it does, but what process should I take to insure success and reliability for the future to come?

I do have experience with 2-stroke engines, but not much and nothing over 50cc scooter engines.

Pic Related
>>
If you can, find a manual of the internals. Then change the battery and see if it runs. If it doesn't, take it apart and clean everything and fix loose wires, etc. If it still doesn't run, try and troubleshoot the individual components.

I have no experience with waverunners, but this is my go-to solution for fixing anything I don't have experience with.
>>
>>1049581
Drain the tank obviously.
If it was winterized it should have been.

Throw some fresh premix in it, jumper cables and see if it starts. If you want to be anal pull the coil wires and crank it for for awhile. 5 second bursts, one minute.
>>
>>1049581
If that is pic related a re grease on the trailer wheel bearings is in order after sitting there for a decade.

>>1049615
>pull the coil wires

I'd just pull the plugs out and ground the spark plug leads so they are not running into an open circuit. Probably good to get some fresh fuel and oil through the thing as the old 2 stroke oil leftovers will have gone thick. Drop a little fuel oil mix down the plug holes and let it sit for 5 before cranking.
>>
>>1049658
This is good advice but I'd go a bit further for a 10 year period.

Change any gearbox oil. remove spark plugs and pour at least 30ml of fuel/oil mix down each cylinder. change battery and crank over - by hand at first if possible to gauge if things are still moving.

crank at full speed with the plugs out (might get a bit messy) then put the plugs in and try and get it running. Let it idle for a while then take the plugs out and clean them thoroughly.

2strokes like being pushed so the next step (if everything seems to be working) is to take it for a run.
>>
>>1049686
>>1049658
>>1049615
>>1049601
OP here, thank you all for the replies. Im going up to the farm tomorrow and will cross my fingers and go for it.

I like the idea of pouring some mix down the sparkplug holes. I will see if i can turn it over by hand at avoid seizing before I let the starter motor go at it.

Luckily there is no gearbox, so I do not have to worry about that.

If it starts while dry, im gonna shut it off and take and drag it to the lake. The loading ramp is a 1/2 mile from where I am storing the waverunner. My next concern is, will it sink on me. I doubt it will be an issue though.
>>
>>1049737
Don't run it dry for too long. Shit will get hot fast. 30 secs would probably be a safe maximum.
>>
>>1049841
Yea i figured I would run it just enough to know that its not fucked, then turn it off. I guess there is a hose intake, although I am so close to a private ramp, so I am not going to bother with it. Just dump her in the lake and stay near shore to evaluate it from there.

Wish me luck. Any other advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.