[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I fix my washing line

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (234KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
234KB, 1920x1080px
How do I fix my washing line
>>
Just get more string?
>>
>>1049525
Buyfag!!1!
>>
File: tmp_24087-images290223512.jpg (9KB, 239x211px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_24087-images290223512.jpg
9KB, 239x211px
>>1049519
>>
Alternatively, overlay the two broken parts and strip them together. Then use a lighter to melt the plastic so it fuses.

Might not be pretty, but it works.
>>
>>1049597
>square knot
Full pleb.

http://www.animatedknots.com/sheetbend/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.png&Website=www.animatedknots.com#ScrollPoint
>>
>>1049635
Much better but a double fishermans would be better and more peppermint.
>>
>>1049519
Tie the broken section back together. A square knot is unsuited for tying the ends of ropes together, as it can be unstable. The sheet bend would work, but it is weak and prone to slipping on synthetics. The double fisherman's knot would be an excellent choice if the line is slippery enough to draw up tightly. Alternately, use a Zeppelin bend. It holds well on just about anything, even if it's not tight.

If the cord is damaged from sun and weather, it will probably break in other places soon. Those can be tied as well, but eventually you'll have to get a new line.
>>
>>1049654
>peppermint

lel

Permanent.
>>
>>1049659
>a Zeppelin band
It's an interesting suggestion, but I fail to see how Immigrant Song will be useful in this particular scenario.
>>
>>1049654
KEK. in orbit.
>>
File: MOARMINT.jpg (88KB, 400x348px) Image search: [Google]
MOARMINT.jpg
88KB, 400x348px
>more peppermint...
>>
File: zb.gif (9KB, 211x240px) Image search: [Google]
zb.gif
9KB, 211x240px
>>1049798
OP wants to rebuild his ruins, anon.
>>
>>1049519
Zeppelin bend, double fisherman's bend and alpine butterfly bend are all acceptable options. But knots weaken the line by as much as 50%, so I'd consider restringing a new line for more permanence.
>>
>>1049925
>knots weaken the line by as much as 50%
Different knots weaken rope by different amounts. The ones you mentioned retain about 80% of typical rope strength. A blood knot would be stronger, but it's hard to get it to tighten effectively on rope (as opposed to fishing line).
>>
>>1049930
Basically, if there's any chance of weakening the line I always assume up to 50% loss of tensile strength to be overly safe.

Fortunately this isn't a safety critical application so he can get away with one of those knots and be good for a while... but with as cheap as cordage is, I'd just suggest replacing it unless of course he's doing knots as a labor of love.

I'd be the type to tie knots because I like them.
>>
File: 207-8159_PI_TPS1234551.jpg (11KB, 493x493px) Image search: [Google]
207-8159_PI_TPS1234551.jpg
11KB, 493x493px
>>1049930
How can it weaken the rope when it's already 100% broken? Poor logic.

Also, has op confirmed it is a top and not a collapsible clothes dryer?
>>
>>1049951
I think he was talking about tying the rope vs. replacing, but I mean what the fuck is context anyways?
>>
>>1049934
>if there's any chance of weakening the line
Besides splices and wrapping around something much larger than the rope, most anything will weaken the rope due to uneven stress on the fibers. Being overly safe is fine, but if that's your goal, it's useful to keep the actual strength of knots in mind. Because a 90%-strength knot is almost twice as strong as a 50%-strength knot. The three knots mentioned here >>1049925 are used in climbing, where they are considered both strong and secure enough for life lines. And on an old clothesline that's falling apart, a stronger knot can translate to increased service life (because it puts less stress on the weakened line). For example, in the "low security" category, a grass bend would be better than a sheet bend here, because it's stronger. If the clothesline is something grippy like natural fiber or rubber, it's actually stronger than the climbing knots mentioned.
>>
>>1050072
When I'm giving someone else advice, I like to keep it fairly simple. Most people aren't knot nerds.

I'm aware that a knot that distributes it's stress through more material evenly will have less issue with chafing or losing strength. The same can be said for any of the knots that run on the working end as opposed to kinking it in some way. The material of the rope also matters.

But why go through the burden of giving someone a textbook amount of advice on a trivial matter?

It's like a civil engineer building a bridge... you better have made that bridge capable of holding loaded semi-trucks in all lanes nose-to-tip across it's span, otherwise you're liable for every person that gets injured or dies on that bridge due to poor planning.

Zeppelin bend is my go-to for a bend that needs both line ends stick out of opposite directions. Looks clean, distributes lots of the pressure on multiple points, easy to untie.

Protip - think like an engineer.
>>
>>1050214
Lurker here, I understand what you are saying but let me tell you why I disagree.

1. This board is do it yourself, so by giving alot of options and information it will allow OP to learn more on the subject and let him decide what actions to take. This will better him.

2. All of the information is why I personally enjoy this board. I read obscure things on here that I would never run into normally. This makes threads expotionally better while increasing conversation and avoiding a hive mind mentality.

3. You are not liable for any advice you give on a mongolian cat herding forum.
>>
>>1050420
>>1050214

You'll have to forgive me. Used to work at Lowe's, had to give lots of stupid people advice and had to keep it simple/stupid so as to avoid taking on liability. I guess I'm just not out of that mentality yet.
>>
>>1050214
>But why go through the burden
Because you apparently felt the need >>1049925 to say that (some) knots (can) weaken rope by 50% after mentioning three knots that weaken rope by much less, which gives the implication that all knots are equal when they very much are not. Which is, I would think, something important to convey when giving advice on knots.

And funny you should mention engineering. Engineers are rather well-known for using math and detailed technical properties to design things. Designing a bridge strong enough to support full lanes of semis is pretty trivial. Designing an ECONOMICAL bridge strong enough takes engineering. Likewise with knots. You can use the 50% strength loss guide to size ropes for tasks, but that would call for larger (and more expensive) ropes than the actual strength of strong knots would require.

I know enough knots that I usually pick one particularly suited to a task rather than a general-purpose one. Though it's an excellent general-purpose bend, I don't use the Zeppelin bend very much. I prefer the grass bend for light/temporary things, and one of my own invention for heavier stuff (it outperforms Ashley's bend all-around). Both are stronger and easier to untie than the Zeppelin bend.
>>
>>1050742
You're pretty obsessed with the semantics of my post.

It's never a bad idea to give someone advice that is overkill for their purpose. I'm all about large safety margins. And I'm not going to assume that everyone will go to the lengths we do to ensure knots will serve their needs.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.