[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Modifying laser to have additional white LED light

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: LG 431 with markup.jpg (461KB, 1912x948px) Image search: [Google]
LG 431 with markup.jpg
461KB, 1912x948px
I have a Crimson Trace LG-431 laser. I'd like to install a small forward facing white-light LED in addition to the laser. It seems that this is possible using the same pressure switch, battery and driver used for the laser/photodiode.

Right now, it seems plausible that I could install the LED in series or parallel with the laser diode, if the operating voltages are similar enough to get reliable operation.

However, I have poor intuition about such matters, and I understand that even minor and transiently exceeding the voltage and current limitations of diodes can damage them (to the point where a multi-meter could fry the device).

I've got the housing opened (pic related), and I'm ready to begin interrogating the circuit to figure out how much voltage I have to work with reaching the laser diode, and whether swapping out different cells will alter the voltage reaching the diode (starting by lowering available voltage from the battery compartment).

Does anyone with a better understanding of these topics have a better idea?

More technical specifications to follow.
>>
File: DiodesHowToTheyWork.png (1MB, 888x614px) Image search: [Google]
DiodesHowToTheyWork.png
1MB, 888x614px
Crimson Trace LG-431:
Battery:
Manufacturer Recommended:
1x 1/3N Lithium (3V, 11.6x10.8mm)
Or 2x 357 (SR44) Silver Oxide Battery (3V total, 11.6x5.4mm)
Possible alternatives to alter available voltage:
SR54: 11.6x3.1, 1.55V (4.65V Max)
SR55: 11.6x2.1, 1.55V (7.75V Max)
365/366,S16,608: 11.6x1.65, 1.55v (9.3V Max)

The sky is the limit for available voltage, but the device components have voltage and current limits.

Laser:
Output: ~5mW
Wavelength: ~650nM
Operating Voltage: Unknown, need to check.
Constant Voltage Driver: Unknown, need to check.

Switch:
Pressure Operated, connected to Laser housing via PCB ribbon. Not amenable to modification outside of housing.

Patents:
http://www.crimsontrace.com/company/patents
https://www.google.com/patents/US8256154
>>
LEDs usually are fed from a current source since they operate roughly at constant voltage over a wide range of currents. The color of the LED is proportional to the voltage drop; higher energy photons (blue, and "white" [which are actually just blue LEDs with a phosphor that absorbs blue and phosphoresces yellow] LEDs) means higher voltage drop than low energy (red LEDs). So if you just stick one in parallel, unless it's exactly the same type of LED as the laser (which it won't be) only one of them will light up, the one with the lower voltage drop, as all the current will be shunted through it. Even if you figure out some way to balance it, since the laser diode is very likely fed a constant current, using the same circuit for both diodes means the original current will now be shared between both, so neither will operate correctly. Laser diodes in particular will now "lase" unless they have a minimum amount of current passing through. Best thing to do would be to add some circuitry to power the white LED, which only activates when the laser turns on.
>>
>>1049349
Thanks for the reply. The board does have a potentiometer, which I think may allow me to increase the amount of current available after adding the LED, if that won't fry something else.

But that does still leave the problem of the mismatched voltage drops. It seems that laser diodes often have a voltage drop of ~1.5-2V. The only LEDs that operate with a similar voltage drop are non-high intensity red (~1.7V) and maybe high-efficiency, low-current, high intensity red (~1.9V).

On the upside the operating currents for both the laser and LEDs are both ~15-20mA.

It seems like the project could still work, albeit with a lower-intensity red LED. I just need to decide how to proceed with testing and adjusting the device to avoid frying it.

The safest bet might seem to be to very carefully slice/strip s section of the positive and negative and install a red LED and see if I can get simultaneous operation without any adjustments.
>>
bump for you OP, this looks cool
>>
>>1049517
>bump for you OP, this looks cool

Thanks. I've just about concluded that this will work, with a reasonable degree of safety.

The constant current driver is likely providing 20mA, which is suitable for the Laser Diode and a LED. If I wire the LED in series it will get 20mA of current. I will then need to increase the available voltage by adding additional batteries in series (increasing voltage at the cost of battery life in effect) until both components have sufficient voltage to operate: ~1.5Vdropoff for the driver, ~1.5V for the Laser diode, and ~1.5-5V for the LED depending on color and intensity.

A red LED would require the least additional voltage (~1.5-2V), while a high-intensity white may require more (~3-5V). We can easily achieve up to 9.3V, giving a surplus of 6.2V for the LED.

The biggest risk is overtaxing the driver. The nature of the driver remains unclear to me, but if it is a linear driver, it adjust the current at the cost of generating heat in a resistor, probably that tiny black surface mount component labeled (smaller black magic). Too much heat = ruined driver = need a new LG-431.

However, since the laser and light will not be in continuous operation I suspect it will be fine.

I'll buy the needed components and test it as soon as I get back from vacation in a week.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.