[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey a shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: ForwardRearward.jpg (10KB, 250x266px) Image search: [Google]
ForwardRearward.jpg
10KB, 250x266px
Start with the base case. A screw, vertical relative to gravity, face to the ceiling, you standing over it, looking straight down at the head. Even in this most basic case, at all times, and by every measure, half of the screw will always be turning to the right, and half the screw will always be turning to the left. Which means that for Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey to have any meaning at all, you musty first amend it to /The top of the fastener Righty-tighty, bottom of the fastener lefty-loosey/.

Let's see how that fucking chestnut holds up. You are facing the oil pan drain bolt on a 2014 Honda Civic. You are either upside down, or standing and looking up. The bolt is 165 degrees away from its original vertical and you are beneath it. Which is the top of the bolt? You only know because you did it before. There is no top of the bolt because its upside down and backwards.

Lets change the head on a rotating head string trimmer. This bolt is reverse-threaded to work against the torque of the clockwise-rotating head (as seen from above when operating). So the device is upside down, motor on the ground, head in hand, the bolt is reverse threaded, and backwards. Now what is the top of the bolt? YOU DONT FUCKING KNOW. YOU MADE A GUESS AND RFEMEMBERED.

Now you need to change a bent prop on a cherry-kept 1982 Searay Weekender with two rebuilt Ford 302 engines which each turn one 16 inch three-blade brass propeller, counter-synched to prevent pull underway. The bolt on the starboard propeller is reverse threaded - torque - and facing the stern, which means you are facing the bow, while hanging upside down over the transom, using a snorkel because Gus is to cheap to pay the hundo to put the thing on the lift. So the bolt is backwards, you are upside down, and the whole thing is thread reversed. NOW where is the top of bolt?

Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey my hairy white ass.
>>
>>1049282
>There is no top of the bolt because its upside down and backwards
>Now what is the top of the bolt?
The head of the bolt is always the top of the bolt you retard
by your logic (since you use boats) "Oh the boat capsized which side is starboard now you dont know hurrrr"
>>
>>1049282
Take your right hand. Make a fist. Stick your thumb out. Stick your thumb on the thing you're putting a wrench on. It's gonna go the way your thumb is pointing if you turn it the way your fingers are pointing.

flip your hand around, and point your thumb away from the bolt. It's gonna go that way if you turn it that way.

This holds true for right handed threads.

Use your left hand for... left handed threads.
>>
>>1049282
Autism
>>
>>1049282
So what you're trying to say is that you have no mechanical reasoning skills and you're retarded.
That would have been easier to say.
>>
>>1049317
He should've used a pepe so everyone would ignore his post.
>>
>>1049282
"I'm not very good with my hands and I'm not used to using tools"
The post.
>>
>>1049282
this saying has been around since the dawn of time.
and you op are the first ever person to struggle with it. how does that make you feel?
clearly the phrase is a kind of joke on the unfamiliar, like asking for a long stand in a hardware store. its main purpose is to confuse because clearly tightening or untightening a bolt is second nature to all but the retarded.
you could show a monkey how to do/undo a bolt only once to teach it, it wouldn't need a second try. so thats you op. you are dumber than a monkey.
if you can't undo a bolt on your own then i feel real sorry for you.
>>
>>1049282
Left goes up, right goes down
>>
>>1049282

>I have a very loose grasp on reality and simple things confuse the living daylights out of me
>>
>>1049299
Flawless
>>
Ops post could be abbreviated quite a bit.

I think "me dumb, hur hur hur" would suffice.
>>
>>1049282
..... you realize that righty tighty lefty loosey means standard bolts tighten clockwise and loosen counterclockwise. It doesn't matter which side you are starting on. for example, a standard screw most people use every day is the top on a soda bottle. it doesn't matter if the bottle is rightside up or upside down, the screw goes the same way.
what the saying is talking about is the side of the bolt that is "up" or the side away from the wrench handle or your wrist if using a screwdriver. If that goes left compared to the center, it is a counterclockwise motion, if right, then clockwise.

also, you notice how two of your examples you use an exception? the bolts are reverse threaded. that means non-standard. that means backward. You are complaining that it's hard to drive a eurocar from the left seat, and that it's stupid to have to reach over the center to grip the steering wheel.

notice how
>>
>>1049282
Put the pipe down. You have had too much.
>>
Next minute this fag will be complaining about left hand threads, or wanting a new rule for inhex.

Fastener rules for fags (as experienced by me when repairing their shit)
1. Pozidrive is for fags. Men use hammers on 6ga x 1".
2. No need to set the clutch on the driver. Stripped heads are automatically child resistant.
3. If its bent, smash it with a hammer
4. Cup head bolts work best when faglad welds 10" metal scraps with birdshit to the cup.
5. tek screws work best with a clearance hole larger than the diameter of the thread. Fuck it next guy will fix it.
6. Head breaks off? No worries. Thats what pva is for.
7. Real men use one way screws for fit ups prior to breaking down for paint.
8. Stainless is naturally resistant to everything. Tighten as much as possible on the aluminium truck tub, no anti seize.
9. Gator grip sockets, and other fuckwit level tools purchased off tv-shopping are better than anything known to mankind. Its not stripping it, its adding grip.
10. My tooling is quality bitch. Cheap fucking fasteners is your issue.

Famous last words by those seeking new employment.
>>
I never got the English mnemonic either. I think I always knew "screw" and "unscrew" like "clockwise" and "anticlockwise". Last two words being the most correct terms to indicate rotation direction. (With "trigonometric" if you're into maths.)
>>
So we should settle on the slightly more complex, "clockwise to tighten, figure the rest out by logic you stupid fuck"
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (101KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
101KB, 1280x720px
>>1049299
I think this will be my to-go rule from now on. It will also be easy to explain to noobs.
As an RC plane enthusiast, I have used my own "propeller rule" to this day. The motion of starting an RC plane engine is hard-wired in my brain, so If I turn the propeller like pic related the plane will come towards me, and so will a bolt or nut.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.