[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am trying to do some crafts with epoxy, but I'm not finding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: epoxt.jpg (64KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
epoxt.jpg
64KB, 1280x720px
I am trying to do some crafts with epoxy, but I'm not finding any help for my specific project; it's got some unique criteria. I also don't know the difference between epoxy's.

I need an epoxy that can cast in thick globs relatively quickly, so my assuming is that I can add more catalyst than needed.
lets assume that I don't care about cracking, can this be done with any epoxy or is there a certain kind I should use?
It doesn't need to be crystal clear
>>
>>1049010
Need more info.
More catalyst will cause faster curing, but also more heat. You can easily melt plastic that you're using fr a mold.
>>
castolite
>>
>>1049021
It's okay if there's extra heat, the cast isn't for aesthetics but it does need to be clear.

I'll try to make a metal mold if plastic will melt, that's good to know.

but can it cure in a sealed container, maybe with only a few holes in it or is exposure important?
>>
Gonna hijack this thread for a bit.

I just got the idea of a table.

Would I be able to place a sheet of glass on top of the resin while it's curing?

As in the resin and glass will become "one".

I don't like the feeling of the resin against my skin, and if I placed the sheet of glass once it is all cured, you wouldn't get is as clear.

Or am I just wrong?
>>
>>1049097
You'd probably have trouble with 'air pockets' between the glass and the resin.
>>
>>1049097
It's a table.
Glass is heavy.
Why dont you just let gravity do the work?
>>
>>1049010
are you encasing something, this is important because the moisture and/or oils of organic things can fuck up the process
>>1049097
this >>1049243
resin the table surface, sand flat with a fine grain, polish, put the glass on top
>>
>>1049076
Yes it will cure in a sealed container.
What exactly are you trying to do?
I've done some things like you're talking about.
You don't need to do it all in one pour- even using clear epoxy. As long as theres no contaminants, it will bond completely and you won't see any layering.
>>
>>1049097
Use fiber glass resin, its thinner and slower drying time- less chance of air bubbles than thicker epoxy.
>>
>>1049353
>are you encasing something, this is important because the moisture and/or oils of organic things can fuck up the process
nope it's moreso the shape that needs attention, but it must be made of resin
>>
>>1049097
>I just got the idea of a table.
>Would I be able to place a sheet of glass on top of the resin while it's curing?
>As in the resin and glass will become "one".
>I don't like the feeling of the resin against my skin, and if I placed the sheet of glass once it is all cured, you wouldn't get is as clear.
>Or am I just wrong?

Devil's in the details.
Can it work? Sure!
Will it work first time? probably not.
Will it work tenth time? dunno... how well do you assimilate new experience?

This is totally something I'd try if I cared. But I would expect a few misfires before getting a good job.
>>
>>1049097
Couldn't you put the glass at the bottom and pour the resin on top of it? Then flip it over when done?
>>
>>1049534
>$20 says dragon dildo
>>
>>1049540
I'd do this. Intuitively it feels very difficult to place the glass and avoid bubbles.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (10KB, 323x206px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
10KB, 323x206px
>>1049353
I want the resin and glass to become one piece, so I get a good seethrough, as it would with a normal resin cast.

I doubt they would fuse together though.

>>1049374
>>1049537
>>1049579
The thing with air bubbles is that you heat the resin up to let the airbubbles raise, no?

Having it upside down would be a good idea.. but..
The idea is to have a nice looking natural wood table, like debarked or something, have resin on top of that and then the sheet of glass above that. So the issue would still remain, unless it's fixed by heating it up.
It would need a frame around the wood and resin, but the sheet of glass sticking over, flush with the frame.

>>1049010
How about wax?
>>
i dunno...
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.