[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wood burning tool

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: pemdual.jpg (96KB, 635x444px) Image search: [Google]
pemdual.jpg
96KB, 635x444px
Hey
I need help building a pyrography tool from a pc power supply. basically i need to control the 5v 20A output. Is this possible?
>>
File: Capture.png (17KB, 1070x245px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
17KB, 1070x245px
I don't have experience with making a pyro-pen, but you want to look at the specifications and make sure pic related is satisfied

also, unless you already have a PSU, you'd be better off buying a lab power supply, because PC power supplies require you to 'turn on' the power supply using a jumper on the ATX pins
>>
Yep already have the psu (it was free) and it has a maximum of 30A output on the +5v line so 20A should be fine, the main problem im having is how to control the voltage so i can make it output 0-5V but have that controller handle the 20 amps
>>
>>1048804
All you really need is a dual pole switch to switch the ac live and ground the PSU's on pin.
>>
Yea I have the supply sorted, Found a few tutorials online, its pretty cool actually cause you can make a very powerful bench supply for next to nothing
>>
>>1048811
check this out friendo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjJWWGPjc-w

as for the amps, you need to make sure your circuit is not drawing more than 20A. you can calculate this using I = V/R where R is the resistance of the burning wire.
>>
File: astable-multivibrator-using-741.png (91KB, 464x391px) Image search: [Google]
astable-multivibrator-using-741.png
91KB, 464x391px
>>1048811
>how to control the voltage
Take a 556 or 741, wire as a pulse generator. A pot to adjust the pulse rate.

Use pulse output to gate a FET-- or several FETs in parallel-- to handle the drain of the device.
>>
>>1048832
yep the wire should only pull about 18 amps when its 10 cm long at 5V (resistance of about 0.267 ohms)

however i would like some tips to be 5cm long, this would mean that the maximum voltage is about 2.5V which is where the voltage control comes in =]
>>
So if i connect a pwm dc motor controller to a mosfet will that work? i can buy a 12v pwm controller on aliexpress for like $4
>>
>>1048820
They are very convenient because PSUs are so easy to come by, and can output very high current at a few very useful voltages. The main issue you don't get with ATX power supply mods is current limiting. On a regular benchtop supply you can set it so that if it hits 200mA (or 5A, or whatever the range of the supply is) it just won't go any higher. Great for not completely ruining what you're working on if you make a mistake.
>>
>>1048873
Yea ill probably put a 20-25A fuse in there as a backup for any mistakes but im thinking im just gunna have to bite the $150 bullet and buy a 20 amp variable power supply because then i can at least use it for other projects as well.
>>
Go here:
http://frozenburritosnightly.com/pcpowersupply.html

He's controlling the 12v but you can do the 5v instead.
>>
>>1048799
Just use a variac feeding a step-down transformer*. I'm assuming the temp control is purely manual, so anything more than watching the work and tweaking a knob isn't needed.

*Two winding, 120V to 6V. Provides higher current and isolation from the line voltage source.
>>
Thats now a bad idea actually, iv managed to book some time with one of the electronic lecturers at uni today so ill ask him about it and see what he says. If i have any success ill post a diagram later today
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.