[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

washing machine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: wash.gif (5KB, 184x200px) Image search: [Google]
wash.gif
5KB, 184x200px
My fucking washing machine doesn't get hot water only at 40 degrees. It works perfectly at 60 and 90 degrees. Any ideas?
>>
>>1048396

wait, what? I suggest going to /b/ we dont like troll threads on /diy/
>>
>>1048397
Well, I'm not a troll man. Sorry if it's wrong board
>>
>>1048396
thermostat is fucked or miscalibrated obviously
>>
>>1048403
thanks. So you think is the thermostat and not the resistance? how can I be sure? Also I can use tester. It's possible to calibrate the termostat or I have to change it?
>>
since when does a washer have a thermostat? cold water goes in hot water goes in. they combine to make warm water
>>
>>1048408
Maybe; but my washer have only one junction with cold water. After it's full of water, the electric resistance goes water hot since the program you chose
>>
>>1048410

what kind of gay ass washer is that... that you have to wait for it to heat up the water.... must be one of those new fangled washing machines that cost $2000 just to wash fucking clothes... the same thing a $300 washer can do
>>
>>1048412
Really is a very old and cheap washer and I try to save it. Here only the exspensive washer have both junctions (hot and cold water)
>>
>>1048415

wait what... is this some shit from the 1950s or something? ive never known a washer to NOT have a hot hookup....
>>
>>1048416
Ten years old. I repeat, in my coutry (west Europe) washers with double hookup are expensive and recent
>>
>>1048416
Also hot water isn't close the washer
>>
>>1048418

figures. europe. well enjoy your shitty technology and fucked up washer that someone in the first world would never use.
>>
>>1048422
"first world" ahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! Fucking murica
>>
>>1048396
Depending on your water supply, you may have scale built up on the heating element, as well as the already mentioned problems with the controller.

Probably not a cheap/easy fix for the average DIY'er.
>>
>>1048428
thank you. anyway thermostat is only 10€ so I'll try to change it.
>>
>>1048408
Wait your hot water comes out at 90!
>>
>>1048438

no. most hot water heaters are set at 110-120 degrees F. I mean who the hell washes in cold water. might as well just toss your laundry in the lake
>>
File: plbuming.jpg (28KB, 479x720px) Image search: [Google]
plbuming.jpg
28KB, 479x720px
>>1048396

Wash in cold, it's better for your stuff anyway.

Also, brand, model number, any little bit of information that could help would be really nice.
>>
>>1048459
>120 fahrenhiet

thats kinda cold max temp to do a clothes wash.
>>
>>1048460
Yes. You are right but now my clothes stinky (I already clean the washer because inside was full of "mud"). Sorry, I'm not at home but it's a very very simple washer. Thanks
>>
>>1048408
>>1048412
a lot of european models and some limited US models use a cold hookup only and rely on an onboard heater....
>>
if it's scale buildup on the machine you could always try running some kind of scale cleaner through it...

in the states I'd try CLR, but not sure if they have that over their...
>>
>>1048416
Ah, yes. The edginess.
Proteins denature in hot temperatures. So it is advisable to rinse with cold water first, otherwise for example milk glasses might have deposits. This is the theory, reality might differ.
Anyway, energetically it might be slightly better to heat the water in the machine so you loose the losses during transportation of the hot water trough your house.
Time-wise using hot water input is probably faster.
>>
>>1048412
>>1048415
>>1048416
Old washing machines are tanks, running for decades. I've seen fucktons of recent ones die for some stupid reason in less than 6 months. These are not made to last.
>>
>>1048646
I work for an appliance repair company...

>Old washing machines are tanks, running for decades. I've seen fucktons of recent ones die for some stupid reason in less than 6 months. These are not made to last.

while there are a few exceptions... this is pretty much exactly what I see..

the most common topload washer whirlpool sells (also branded as maytag, admiral, crossley, amana, and a few others) is fairly notorious for having it's gearcase fail.. cost of a new gearcase just for parts is around 200$.. if the board goes thats almost 300$, again, just to buy the parts... on a washer that starts around 400$ on sale this means you will rarely end up repairing one of these pieces of junk.. although admittedly if people would run the cleaning cycle like it recommends then it would last longer (for the gearcase at least), but god do I miss the old mechanical timer direct drive models... they had their shit together.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (21KB, 170x282px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
21KB, 170x282px
>>1048649
>I work for an appliance repair company.

I did...
>>
>>1048646
>Old washing machines are tanks, running for decades.
in the late 1990s bought an old 1960s washer for like $50. worked perfect for me for another 10 years, got married and soon after the wife wanted a better machine with more bells and whistles. so traded in the old 60s machine that was still working perfectly for a newfangled GE brand front loader. within a year already had 2 service calls on it (lucky they were covered under warranty) one time they changed one of the circuit boards, other time dunno what they did. after that its been OK except for the soap selector thingy - the stupid selector pin which is connected to a motor keeps jumping out of the track. easy fix to get it back into the track but still don't know why it keeps happening. comparing the build on the 60s machine and the new one - I can totally tell the metal on the 60s was much thicker - "built like a tank" as they say. the new one's metal skin is so thin.
consider the 60s washer already ran for 30 years before I got it and I had it for another 10 and I'd like to think if someone else got it after me it's probably still running today. of course it was pea soup green in color so not so 'stylish' for today but it washed the clothes just as well as the new one.
>>
>>1048659
>it was pea soup green in color
That was 'avocado green, son.
Also popular were 'coppertone' and 'harvest gold'
Now it's pretty much white, black or stainless'
>>
>>1048463
120F is the max temp that's legal in the area I live in. As someone who's fixed washing machines that have broken/got fucked up because the water was too hot, I think 120-130 is the max for recent machines.
Also, even the hot cycle usually throws cold water in
>>
File: 55457735[1].jpg (48KB, 306x240px) Image search: [Google]
55457735[1].jpg
48KB, 306x240px
>>1048473
>>
File: 606188.jpg (43KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
606188.jpg
43KB, 640x480px
>>1048426
At least we have hot water hookups for our washers.
>>
File: 1464483652488.png (124KB, 500x587px) Image search: [Google]
1464483652488.png
124KB, 500x587px
>>
Rick and water
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.