[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

(french?) drain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 1364308513779.jpg (18KB, 413x205px) Image search: [Google]
1364308513779.jpg
18KB, 413x205px
I'm digging a drainage ditch around a cabin that has a BIG hill STEEPLY sloping towards it on one side, and believe it or not, there's a mold problem on the side closest to the hill. So I'm trying to get the crawlspace dried out.

I've already got a ~20" wide and ~12" inch deep ditch dug between the cabin and the hillside, which drains to lower ground. And it works: it fills up with water when it rains hard, that's water that was going into the crawlspace before I dug it.

Now, am I supposed to put a pipe and gravel in the bottom of it and cover it back up with dirt?
I don't think I should, I think it works better without a pipe and gravel because this way I can touch it up every so often when it fills up with silt/leaves/whatever. And it's in a very muddy woods so I feel like even the best french drain fabric and pipe would eventually clog.

But are there any actual advantages to having a pipe and gravel and all that in it? This is a cabin in the woods so having an open trench in the yard isn't a problem.
Basically this question is surface draining vs. subsurface draining, but I've googled the shit out of it and get nothing much more than agricultural shit so thought I'd come here in case anybody is knowledgeable about this and would like to help... thanks so much in advance.
I'm a house framer btw in case anybody has any questions they'd like to ask me in return
>>
>Now, am I supposed to put a pipe and gravel in the bottom of it and cover it back up with dirt?

The gravel should encompass the drain tile (pipe). It should cover the pipe on all sides. There are fabric sleeves that wrap perfectly around the drain tile. Just tie a knot on each end. I'd go at least a foot above the drain tile with more gravel, followed by landscape fabric and then dirt.

>But are there any actual advantages to having a pipe and gravel and all that in it? This is a cabin in the woods so having an open trench in the yard isn't a problem.

It can probably be left open without worry. Eventually though, with the rainfall and erosion of the dirt, I would think the trench would fill up and would have to be redug to benefit as much as it is now.
>>
>>1048236
I'm worried that the fabric would clog up much sooner than I'd want it to, the soil where this cabin is at is bizarre, it's super sandy fertile black shit that becomes impentrable muck during heavy rain. So i'm torn between doing this pipe and gravel stuff and worrying about it getting clogged, or just leaving the ditch open and cleaning the junk out every so often.

But I obviously want to do whichever way is more effective for the job of diverting water, so you think that the open trench functions just as well as it would with a pipe and gravel? As long as I keep it clean oc
>>
>>1048240
>so you think that the open trench functions just as well as it would with a pipe and gravel? As long as I keep it clean

Yes, an open trench will divert the water just as well as the pipe/gravel. The pipe/gravel is best when you are going to cover up the area with dirt/grass etc as it is much easier for the water to flow through than dirt alone. Since you're not going to have a lawn or landscaping over this area, an open trench would work just fine.
>>
>>1048240
>>1048552
It might also be worth it to buy one piece of drain tile and a little bit of fabric and test it under your dirt. Give it a few months and see if it clogged up at all. For both the fabric and an 8ft drain tile, It would probably cost under $10.
>>
File: Issue50drainagetrench_0.jpg (194KB, 600x485px) Image search: [Google]
Issue50drainagetrench_0.jpg
194KB, 600x485px
>>1048209
depends on the problem OP.

an open drain is for surface water ie. flood protection. when it rains and if water pours along the foundation of your house you use a surface drain.

if the problem is water seeping through the wall or the ground staying boggy and moisture seeping up through the foundation them you install agricultural pipe underground down below the depth of the foundation.
>>
English
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.