[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

knife supplies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: s-l225.jpg (18KB, 225x187px) Image search: [Google]
s-l225.jpg
18KB, 225x187px
Suggestions for where to get connecting screws for knife scales that won't overly charge for shipping?

feebay had some 2pk hex ones for ~$5
>>
File: ericsona.jpg (8KB, 500x150px) Image search: [Google]
ericsona.jpg
8KB, 500x150px
>>1047741
>yet another thread where the brainless OP does not tell us where he lives
For retail, check here: ul.Górecka 164, Poznań, Poland. If you prefer A4 rather than A2 (although the latter are sufficient), then try Powstańcza 7/1.

However, I'd recommend you to by an ericsson (or similar) nut instead. It's easier to control than your round coupling nuts.
>>
>>1047741
With a box of screws, some bar stock, a hacksaw and file, a drill press and a tap, you could make your own. This IS /diy/ after all.
>>
>>1047993
>Not recommending sex bolts
This is 4chan. Get up to speed.
>>
turns out at least one "home center" actually carries a bunch of different kinds in this size, including hex....and they were under $1

the problem is the only connectors I saw were hexagon, not round....I supposed it would be easy enough to simply grind it down....really wish I had a belt sander

>>1047993
assume a developed country where english is the main language and the dollar is the currency

>brainless

>>1048005
trying to drill and tap something that small would be a huge pain....and a drill press would run more than a few bucks
>>
>>1048023
>trying to drill and tap something that small would be a huge pain

Confirmed for never using a tap. You could use mild steel or brass, and the only shape that could even be construed as a "huge pain" would be round stock. Hex or square and it's a piece of cake.

>a drill press would run more than a few bucks

This is a semi-valid argument, but it could be done with a hand drill.

Just giving you shit, OP. Like I said, this is Do It Yourself, not Buy It Yourself. Good luck anyway, show pics of your stuff?
>>
>>1048062
>Confirmed for never using a tap.
not quite

>You could use mild steel or brass, and the only shape that could even be construed as a "huge pain" would be round stock
the material is not the problem....if the hole is not straight, the threads are not going to be straight, and the screws won't sit properly on the scales

and yes, it would need to be round stock as the holes in the blade blank I will be using, are round....

idk if aluminum would be good to use or not, but looking at the cost of brass (would be preferred), it would be cheaper just to order them

>this is Do It Yourself, not Buy It Yourself
at least it's not another thread about pallets, making a house in the middle of nowhere, or using duct tape to make a real bullet proof vest to use for airsoft

I'm not making the blade in this case because it would be far more effort than the results would warrant (and I don't know how); I could try to make the other parts I need from stock, but I rather go from a head start and finish with a better end product

I think the grinding-hex-connectors idea would be more practical, as least for now

>show pics of your stuff?
of course

I still have to decide on the wood for the scales
>>
>>1048091
I like you, OP. You take shit well and give it back accordingly! We'll be here for your "how do i apply a finish to my custom knife scales" thread when you're ready... Ha! Good luck!

I vote for maple, either curly or birdseye by the way.
>>
>>1048117
I'm good

as my old shop teacher used to say, "if you can varnish a dildo, you can varnish anything"

not that I would want to do much them anyway....the store had a decent selection of strips; oak, hickory, ash, maple, mahogany
>>
>>1048005
Drilling a hole along the axis of a rod with a drill press? That sounds like an ordeal...

>>1048023
>assume a developed country where english is the main language and the dollar is the currency
Let me guess... Australia? Canada? Singapore? Or the land of fat and lazy stupids?

>>1048006
>sex bolts
Most variants of those I encountered would be way too long. As far as I know, its primary use is to join two boards in furniture, that's 3cm at least.
>>
>>1049072
>Drilling a hole along the axis of a rod with a drill press? That sounds like an ordeal...

Start using a machinist center drill. then drill and tap. To hold sections of rod accurately you'd need a drill press vise with vertical vee slot for round stock. To center drill press, chuck some rod stock then tighten the vise jaws down on the rod stock with the vise not bolted or bolted loosely to the drill press table. When vise vee is centered, secure vise to drill press table.
>>
File: legvitisepoltea[1].jpg (16KB, 475x356px) Image search: [Google]
legvitisepoltea[1].jpg
16KB, 475x356px
>>1049072
>Most variants of those I encountered would be way too long.
They come in all lengths and several different finishes/metal types. They were once to go to bolt for handsaw handles, back when one of them would have a big medallion for the maker's mark on it.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.