[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is a good paint to use so you can paint your PC fans to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 13

File: gaming_fans.jpg (72KB, 518x500px) Image search: [Google]
gaming_fans.jpg
72KB, 518x500px
What is a good paint to use so you can paint your PC fans to make them look like gaming fans?

Also which colors are these exactly?
>>
You're going to need a 4" nylon brush and some latex flat wall paint. First to prime the surface submerge it in acetone for 1 hour. As far as the paint it looks like Hershey Kiss Brown
>>
>>1046339
why not just buy "gaming fans" they are pretty cheap and are much better at the job then standerd fans are

but any paint will do fine, just make sure to do all the proper surface prep i know JaysTwoCents has a video up on his youtube page you should check out

light brown and dark brown, every different brand has a different name for each colour so just pick the closest
>>
>>1046343
which one? there is 2 different shades of brown

theyre pretty hard to come by unless you buy the official ones
>>
File: 798.png (306KB, 593x540px) Image search: [Google]
798.png
306KB, 593x540px
>>1046339
>gaming fans
>>
>>1046339
da fuq - are we being raided by >>>/g/ ? or are further new peaks being scaled here on the pinnacle of marketing genius?
>>
>>1046339
>painting a fan
Enjoy having it shit out on you next month when all the bearings went to shit from being off-balanced.
>>
>>1046363
by that logic you could never have a different color than black
>>
>>1046378
They balance the fan and balance the hub/spindle then put them together. You didn't after you painted it.
>>
>>1046378
>thinking plastic only comes in black
Wow stop posting anytime
>>
File: 1451072016557.jpg (14KB, 145x246px) Image search: [Google]
1451072016557.jpg
14KB, 145x246px
>>1046339
>gaming fans
>>
File: 1438875896361-v.png (244KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1438875896361-v.png
244KB, 512x512px
>gaming fans
>>
>>1046350
Floens probably set the default board for clover to /diy/ again
>>
>>1046339
What the fuck is a gaming fan?
>>
so you want them to look like noctua fans without the performance/silence?

they will look like shit and you will 100% be able to tell when you look at them, which is about the only reason you'd want them that hideous poo brown, so you can say, "yeah they noctua"

Just buy noctua, that is really sad..
>>
>>1046769
these fans are usually used in gaming builds

>>1046853
nah man fuck that i got fans i just need to make them look like gaming fans because my stock fans are different colors and it looks ugly when you try to pimp with your pc
>>
Just use plasti-dip.

Or spend $30 on good fans instead of polishing the turds you've got.
>>
>caring about the color of the components inside your computer

This is what autism looks like.
>>
Here's a tip: Those noctua fans aren't anything special. They aren't "gaming" fans. They're just fans. And painting your existing fans just so they look like fans made by a different manufacturer (especially when those fans aren't really much better) is just sad. It's like making a ferrari kit car out of a pontiac fiero and pretending you own an actual ferrari. Don't be that guy.
>>
>>1046926
then how come many pro gamers use them or people who win case battles?
>>
>>1046947
They offer some of the highest flowrates of air in a given amount of time for the lowest sound impact and they never die. That said they are expensive but I know linustechtips had them start making black ones that you could buy not sure if that is still the case though
>>
>>1046959
but i need to have gaming colors
>>
File: fug.png (2KB, 201x199px) Image search: [Google]
fug.png
2KB, 201x199px
>>1046965
>>
>>1046991
(muddy..) orange is the new black, ditch those shares in Pabst while you still can, never again shall your plainblades spin in shame - $100 Gaming Fans are now officially A Thing. And the PC Industry is now (officially) more Full of Shit than snake-oil collective that is Home Audio, no mean feat.
>>
>>1046947
because people love drinking the koolaid
>>
>>1046947
What does that even matter? You're not using those fans, you're just painting shitty fans to look like those fans, which is completely pointless. And in fact, it will probably make your shitty fans even more shitty by increasing the weight of the spinning mass and unbalancing them due to uneven paint coverage.

tl;dr - stop being a faggot
>>
File: 1463705305097.jpg (5KB, 194x259px) Image search: [Google]
1463705305097.jpg
5KB, 194x259px
>gaming fans

woah...epic...
>>
>>1046947
>how come many pro gamers use them

They get paid to shill garbage to suckers.

>>1046959
>and they never die

Pro gamer gets free equipment from sponsors. How do you know the equipment given to pros is the same quality as the shit they sell patsies on their web site? Like Nike didn't make Michael Jordan custom shoes that only look like store-bought Air Jordans.
>>
Just get the LTT editions, you fucking retarded wallaby.
>>
>>1046605
That's exactly what happened, it was /ck/ for a while
>>
File: IMG_0007.jpg (1MB, 3580x2187px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0007.jpg
1MB, 3580x2187px
>>1046904
bro is you for realsies?

post a pic of your build, I'm the anon who said it was shit to paint....
there's better things you can do to improve the look of your case, cable mod is cheap as, done mine for a total of $30NZD, including tools to remove pins from plugs..

DO NOT PAINT YOUR FANS

>>1046924
nah, and I'm sure you'd agree there are some pretty internals out there, ok it has ZERO impact on performance but what's wrong with wanting things to look nice.

I understand you wanting to have a nice looking rig, but painting fans is quick way to have your pics saved for cringe threads..
>>
>>1046924
>>caring about the color of the components inside your computer
A lot of high-end cases have clear panels so you can see inside, making your "cable management" and "airflow" (read: feng shui and interior design) skills more visible

>>1047731
>DO NOT PAINT YOUR FANS
the tolerances on pc fans are pretty loose, as long as you didn't spray paint directly into the motor it'd probably be fine.
>>
File: IMG_0255.jpg (3MB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0255.jpg
3MB, 3888x2592px
>>1047743
I was more meaning don't paint fans because it will look like shit, not performance wise, and the only reason you'd wanna paint is for the look..

if you want to go for a "look" try loosely to put that into the parts you choose, I know this is diy so we all about the "do it your way" but in the end I think painted fans would look shit in anything.

Iv'e built my pc kinda close to how I'd like it, but I want different coloured fans also, and PSU plugs... but I think I'll buy those eventually, the only thing I've considered painting is the red on the heatsinks on my motherboard.. that's borderline autisim though..
>>
>>1046378
Plastic is molded in different colors, manufacturers don't use paint, dimwit.
If you wish to paint it, the best way would be spray paint. Separate the blades and the frame by pulling the o'ring that is normally at the back, behind the sticker, once removed with a toothpick the propeller can be easily extracted, watch out, the blades can be very fragile, clean the dust thoroughly.
To prepare the pieces, put acetone into a bowl and then put the propeller and the frame inside for a couple of hours, they need to be submerged, you can put the acetone back into the bottle once you're done.
After you've finished painting put some oil on the shaft, since acetone will remove all kinds of oil, although this is good for painting, the shaft can cause some wear if it isn't lubricated.
>>
>>1047743
Tolerancences have fuck all to do with it, it's about it being off balance and fucking up the bearings.
>>
>>1047839
All shit tier fans have no bearings, they are all sleeve
>>
>>1047731
>individually sleeved cables
>better
Kek
>>
>>1047731
What kind of dumb fucker wants individual wires coming from their psu?
>>
>>1047839
how in thef fuck are you getting paint inside the fan
>>
>>1047958
Its not about getting paint inside the bearings you shitter, its about having an off balance load causing it to vibrate and killing off the bearings faster
>>
File: fan_casemod.jpg (40KB, 520x268px) Image search: [Google]
fan_casemod.jpg
40KB, 520x268px
I don't know, but don't. My case fans match the color of my case (before I painted the outside), and the rest is liquid cooled. Fans on the radiator are black, case fans are white. I don't give a fuck. I wouldn't paint the fans. I don't KNOW if taking them apart, painting them, and reassembling them would result in an unbalanced mess, but I don't want to find out.

Unless you're buying every component matchy-matchy on purpose, I generally find I'm not willing to compromise on the parts the are best for my build just to get them to match. My new motherboard is black and red, new graphics card is black and green. Sucks, and parts of those could be painted, but I'd rather just make it work with the rest of the design, or overwhelm those small accents with a UV loop or something. Point being, matchy builds are cool but it's not the end-all be all. And overpriced ugly fans are not worth imitating.
>>
>>1046378
>>1046339

How do you fucks manage to not kill yourselves just getting out of bed in the morning?
>>
>>1047950
>>1047935
it's a fairly common mod, I don't get why you'd think it's better, it's purely aesthetic.

this is /diy/ ladies, where you actually do things you want YOURSELF, but hey, if you want plain shit in your case....whatever
>>
File: Capture1.png (85KB, 166x200px) Image search: [Google]
Capture1.png
85KB, 166x200px
>>1046339
>paint your PC fans
>gaming fans
nice thread OP
>>
For the price of the paint you could just buy some actual "gaming fans" with LED lights and all.
They are only a couple bucks and will move more air than generic
>>
File: cygnus-x1-11.jpg (146KB, 630x925px) Image search: [Google]
cygnus-x1-11.jpg
146KB, 630x925px
>>1046947
>Going for performance over colour coordination
ISHYGDDT
>>
File: 1423683169255.jpg (95KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1423683169255.jpg
95KB, 720x540px
>>1048181
>having to clean this abomination
>>
>>1046947
Pro gamers use them because they looked up a build guide that says noctua is the best.
Pro gamers don't know shit about computers.
Noctua is pretty good, but they aren't better than everything else out there.
>>
>>1046343
>surface submerge it in acetone for 1 hour
this kills the fan.png
>>
Fans
>>
they are overpriced as fuck i'd rather just paint them
>>
>>1047731
where do I order these tools and empty cables? how do I know how many mm (micromile?) i need?
>>
>>1046947
This is /diy/.
It's time for you to think with your science half of your brain and ignore the meme sponge half.
Deal is, the only thing a fan does is promote improved heat transfer from metal to air by replacing hot air with colder ambient air.
Someone out there did all of the engineering for you and decided "These chinkfan specs will meet the needs of pretty much anyone."
Thus, the difference between a properly fit chinkfan and a turbo fuckin' Delta fan in the same configuration will only be a few degrees.

Having said that, what sets apart chinkfans from enthusiast fans (besides durability) is noise. A chinkfan will do the job. A nice Servo-made Gentle Typhoon will do the same job with less noise.

I could also get into CFM and air pressure, but honestly if you're not getting into building racks or ultracompact computers, it's completely irrelevant. Stick to wide open spaces and who gives a shit what you pick.
>>
>>1050144
standard single cable sheath is 3mm, the tools I bought off aliexpress
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/4PCS-Set-ATX-EPS-PCI-E-Molex-SATA-Full-Pin-Removal-Tool-Kit-for-Computer-Cable/32498300620.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.59.3QmvQA

it's pretty easy, just pop pins, cut sheath to just a bit bigger than the cable length, melt the end and roll it so it hugs the cable, I made mine to hug the crimped piece of the pin, so it wont pull out of the plug when you push the pin back in..

sounds a bit much but you'd get the hang of it I'm sure
>>
>>1048355
They're pretty much top of the line for quiet builds, but they're definitely not the best for performance and they're definitely way overpriced.

You can find better fans for cheaper, but since the spec sheets for most consumer fans are full of lies it will take a lot of work to figure out which ones are going to work best and tune them.
>>
>>1046339
Those fans are ugly as shit. Most people who have top tier gaming rigs paint those ugly shits the color scheme of their case
>>
File: bst_438923411.jpg (1MB, 2661x1996px) Image search: [Google]
bst_438923411.jpg
1MB, 2661x1996px
>>1046339
vinyl dies
>>
>>1048181
Cool pasta maker.
>>
>>1050230
nah man you need to have this color
>>
>gaming fans

Are you referring to painting Noctua fans (the brown ones) to a 'gaming' color like bright red or blue, or are you talking about painting your $5 POS fans brown to make them look like Noctuas? If the former, you're a dumbass. Rep your expensive fans, don't damage them by painting them. If the latter, you're a dumbass. They're gonna look like literal dogshit and break in a month because they aren't designed to operate with paint on them.
>>
>>1046926
Noctua fans are genuinely good fans, my problem with this thread is that they aren't terribly expensive. Rather than paint your fans like a retard and see them blow out from being unbalanced, just buy the real thing.

Ironically people nonstop complain about the color of noctua fans, someone going to the trouble to paint them that color is just so bizarre.
>>
>>1051271
its a gamer thing you wouldn't understand
>>
>>1052652
Yeah, you're right, I can't understand what it's like to be a retard.
>>
>>1046339
noctua are gaming fans
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.