[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: 20160829_173019.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160829_173019.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Hey /diy/, I'm just visiting from /k/ with a quick question. I'm going hiking in the morning and I get my hydration bladder out if my closet and it looks like someone cut it. Anyone know of a quick fix that will hold through my hike tomorrow and until I can get a better one?
>>
Uhh, first thing that comes to mind is a bicycle patch kit. I dunno if it would work, but worth a shot, I suppose.
>>
>>1046075
This guy is on to something.

How long is the hike?
Gorilla or Duck Tape might work for a day.
What kind of plastic? Have you tryed melting it back together?
>>
>>1046063
Look for recycling codes on the body. If it says LDPE or HDPE, you're shit out of luck; nothing sticks to polyethylene.
>>
bladder is vinyl

rubber works via vulcanisation with other rubber items, not vinyl, and isn't spmethng you want to have water/food next to

clean area with alcohol and dry it, apply gaffer tape or vinyl tape.

the seams will leak where the bladder is joined in the factory due to the tape not being able to stick in tight areas.
>>
>>1046075
Unfortunately i don't have one of those handy and nothing will be open when i leave in the morning so i can't buy one.

>>1046077
Maybe about three hours at most so it's not a necessity but it's easier than carrying a couple of water bottles. I haven't tried to melt it and I don't think i'm going to, i'm afraid of rendering unusable.
>>
>>1046084
Again, I don't have these things handy unfortunately. My plan is to take some kind of plastic like plastic wrap for cooking as a barrier to stop the water and duct taping that that way the tape from getting wet.
>>
>>1046063
Can you just line it with a gallon sized Ziploc bag?
>>
Then you could tape it on outside with duck tape to protect the fleshy inside shitloc bag.
>>
>>1046093
>>1046093
Yeah that's probably my only option at the moment. Gib me a sec while i do it. Will post results.
>>
>>1046063
Tape the cut, roll it tightly above the cut, tape the width of the fold to hold it in place, with a strip at the edges of the bladder on the folded section. .
>>
http://www.backpacker.com/survival/troubleshoot-this-busted-hydration-bladder/
>>
File: 20160829_222247.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160829_222247.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Well I think I've got it. Cut a piece of plastic bag and placed it over the cut and triple taped dat bitch. The only place it leaks is where the tape goes over the seam on the edge but it'll hold I believe.
>>
Superglue.
>>
>>1046127
On the seam?
>>
>>1046125
Shoot the fucker who cut it
>>
>>1046063
Hi OP
I know this situation sucks but you will probably be better off just taking a canteen or even just a plastic bottle, the adhesive from the tape will have a million chemicals in, none of which you really want to ingest while stuck out in the boonies, just go old school for this trip and get a new bladder for next time, if you have time you could check out your local Walmart, I'm pretty sure I've seen bladders in there before.
>>
File: P7M8a1copy~01.jpg (303KB, 827x934px) Image search: [Google]
P7M8a1copy~01.jpg
303KB, 827x934px
>>1046125
Well? Let us know if the fucker held.

Pic to make you feel at home
>>
>>1046360
Tape doesn't come in contact with water inside the bladder, he put clean plastic over the tear before taping it
>>
>>1046614
I think I'd still rather go old school just for one trip, my father and grandfather never had camel backs for their water and they did just fine hiking/hunting/camping, dad even did the Pacific Crest Trail back in the 80's and all he used was one of those round canteens with a strap!
>>
>>1046628
He's from /k/. They can't shoot without optics, or use anything except /k/ approved weapons, or be seen without proper operator attire.
>>
use a swimming pool patch kit for vinyl liners
>>
>>1046063
OP should get surplus G.I. bladder canteens in future as backup. At least he learned what happens to bladders, which is why you should always own a spare.
>>
>>1046633
This. I'm surprised he was able to tape the thing shut without an "infographic" about it.

But then again, that he only taped it is just more /k/ incompetence. If it were me, I'd have patched it similarly to a bike inner tube. Or just use a canteen or other hard bottle instead of a plastic bag. Bags are for enema kits and IVs, not water storage in a pokey sharp rough n' tumblr environment
>>
>someone cut it

Who would do such a dastardly deed?
>>
File: tape.png (2KB, 198x442px) Image search: [Google]
tape.png
2KB, 198x442px
>>1046614
The weight of the water will cause the repaired area to bulge like pic related, which, over time, will push the tape off and expose it to the water. This will probably happen fairly quickly, and the water might compromise the adhesive as it gets pushed up, making it ever-easier to expose more of the tape.

Duct tape is not good to use on things that will inflate at all.
>>
>>1046614
>Tape doesn't come in contact with water inside the bladder,
Yes it will. The tape is going to run the edge of the plastic, that is where the water will reach the tape. You're asking the tape to make the seal where the plastic ends. Good luck with your imminent fail.
>>
>>1048224
note: the plastic is in orange here, the tape is in red. I forgot to say that and it might be unclear.But basically, that's what's gonna happen over time.
>>
it's trash. throw it away and don't buy a new one.
>>
Can't you just melt it together with say, an iron?
>>
>>1046083
Not OP
But not even acrylic glue?
>>
Great Beatles song
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.