[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Welding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 6.jpg (542KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
542KB, 1920x1080px
Hello!
I'm learning welder, recently passed the exams for MAG welding (135) (I can NOT weld aluminium yet), also bought myself ESAB Caddy MIG c200i with all equipment needed, purchased this mainly for automotive repairs, however I would like to craft something and make some money with this machine. Any ideas on what should I craft and sell?
>>
The biggest hurdle for any budding entrepreneur is finding a niche that's not over saturated.

If you git gud at welding you could always offer your services for repairs to cracked metal items.

What's also big in the car world is turbo exhaust manifolds.
If you're not into design you could for a light fee offer to weld up peoples designs, they send you the information needed, pipe size and wall thickness, or maybe even a CAD file of the design.

Though saying that TIG welding is all the rage for that.
>>
>>1045676

Adding to this, as an explanation.
People often design a manifold but they don't have the skill or equipment to make what they have in mind, if you offer the metal needed at cost and a fair price, I think you'll make some nice pocket money.
This because a good manifold not made in China will often run over 1500 dollars, a steep price especially if the customer is just getting into car tuning.

You kill 2 birds with one stone, you make some pocket money and you get mad practice.

I'd suggest you look around the Toyota supra forums and BMW tuning forums, for BMW e46fanatics comes to mind.
>>
>>1045679
This is one of a good idea, just one thing that bothers me is that part is made of stainless steel i suppose? I still can't weld stainless, at least never tried it but I guess some hours of practice and it's doable. Thank you for this advice I will surely explore this topic.
>>
>>1045680

Yes stainless is preferred.
Make sure the adapter plate you'll be welding pipes to is well connected to a big ol metal workbench, it'll act as a heatsink and prevent warping, this is a big issue with welding stainless steel.

What most guys do is tag the base to the bench.
>>
>>1045680
TIG welding stainless acts similar to carbon steel, with the exceptions of less surface oxidation, backing gas being required on any full-penetration welds (the oxide layer will fuzz up instead of making a smooth coating that protects the molten metal), and about twice the heat distortion. MIG welding stainless takes tri-mix gas, and it runs a bit rougher than carbon steel.
>>
>>1045702
These are very useful advices, gracias! Also as I am an off-road guy I was also thinking about making heavy-duty steel bumpers for off-road cars, here in Poland those sell for average 300$-500$ so comparing to production cost this is also nice benefit, however there is lack of technical drawings on the internet so the only way to make one is to copy from someone's car (I think)
>>
>>1045657
>this welder
>good for literally what you see in the picture
>notice no welding taking place

>tfw my autism i appreciate the broken down old lathe and shop press in this abandoned workshop more than the ugly bitch.
>>
>>1045736
That lathe and the press are probably based as fuck and will last forever though. I'd also pick those objects over the slag.
>>
>>1045714

What you could do is ask for someone to lend you their car that fits the bumper you speak of, tell em you need a development platform and if they agree you can sell them a bumper for the price of the materials you bought.
>>
>>1045657
That scene looks faked up - the thing on the bottom right must be a prop.
>>
>>1045714
If you do that, hooray, go for it. Just be aware that it'll take a couple of tries to get the fitment just right. Depending on the truck, armor can get up there in price. And it'll be vehicle specific. Don't expect something that fits my Xterra to fit my buddy's Tacoma.
>>
>>1045755
agreed, even same models of car sometimes make some difference.
>>
what do you do if you had heat exhaustion and seem to over heat nearly every day
>>
>>1045752
Her cable isnt connected to anything either. It's literally the worst pinup I've seen.
>>
>>1045657
Well, it´s like they aren´t even trying to make fairly correce picture...
>>
Check the weldingweb and Miller forums for more welding info, all kinds, for all experience levels, than anyone can possibly use.

Both have cool project sections.

Crown Alloys MIG wire for cast iron fucking works, and works well, for manifold repair. My machinistbros bought a roll and sledgehammer tested various welded sample repairs, and aametalmaster on the forums has done some slick work. Scroll down for data.

http://www.crownalloys.com/TechSheet/CAST_IRON_ROYAL_44-30_w_New_Warning.pdf

You can MIG stainless with argon shielding gas. Check the forums (notice my theme here?) for preferred filler.
>>
>>1045752
>That scene looks faked up - the thing on the bottom right must be a prop.

Nice pun. The shop worked on marine projects hence the partially dismantled marine diesel and the prop at bottom right. She ain't gonna build up that propeller with a lightweight stick machine.
>>
>>1045657
Pass non destructive tests for ARC and GTAW and you can start bragging. Mig monkeys gonna mig
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.