[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Casting General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

I want to cast pic related out of aluminium or bronze. Originally I was going to cut it from foam using a hot wire cutter but I realised that will leave 4 edges. The tolerances need to be close to this model I made. It's 17cm long. What methods of casting should I use? I know about styrofoam and lost wax, how should I accurately transfer this 3d model into wax or styrofoam?

It's not a dildo I promise.
>>
File: 1451277074990.png (316KB, 626x673px) Image search: [Google]
1451277074990.png
316KB, 626x673px
Bro, that's a dildo
>>
Machine your dildo on a lathe faggot.
And if you don't have one, can't get access to one or God forbid don't know how to use one, than you don't deserve to be a man and just go buy one at a sex shop like a faggot you are.
>>
>>1045187
I don't have access to a lathe.

>>1045185
It's not a dildo, I already promised you.

It's a fucking lever. I like the art deco era ones so much better than today's wimpy DRC-made shit. I'm in the process of prototyping my own 400-volt switches and current shunts.
>>
>>1045190
You don't have to lie man, there's no shame in wanting to get into the sex toy business. I've thought about it several times myself.
>>
>>1045192
Apart from grabbing the damn thing with my hands I won't be having any other ...contact with the thing!
>>
>>1045192
Actually he does, according to the rules sex toys are banned.
It's a 'lever' alright.
>>
File: Photo on 28-08-2016 at 10.27 pm.png (839KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 28-08-2016 at 10.27 pm.png
839KB, 1080x720px
>>1045196
Here's brainstorming designs for the base of my lever.
>>
>>1045199
Just put it on top of an drilling machine and sandpaper the shit out of the styrofoam.
>>
>>1045194
that switch will be pretty shitty considering how there will be no resistance as it goes in your asshole
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Hey op if you like old weird high voltage stuff you should check out RG letourneaus letro stackers. Pic related my letro stacker in a fucking rainbow.
70 ton lifting capacity
630 volt dc generator
545 volt ac generator
1930's tech
>>
>>1045210
Oh and to answer your question use a lathe or I guess make three diff 3d models of different sections and lay them against molds you can make out of styrofoam I dunno. Use a lathe
>>
>>1045204
>>1045211
Thanks. I'll probably makeshift a lathe and use foam.
>>1045210
>RG letourneaus letro stackers
These are very cool
>>
File: image.jpg (341KB, 1000x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
341KB, 1000x1334px
>>1045212
The parts they use in that thing are kinda wicked. It has barley any moving parts. Lots of Shunt fields "crushing" each other and spooling up at different times to make it move around. It's kind of like a Rube Goldberg (sp) machine and has crazy old components. All basically made from scratch by these guys in the 50's or tech from the 30's
>>
3d print it, then make a slicone mold, cast wax into the silicone mold. Now you have your piece for lost wax
>>
>>1045185
>not a dildo

It's called Anal Plug, please, don't forget political correctness
>>
>>1045182
if you are able to 3d print a prototype (there are many places you can pay to do this for you, fairly cheap) then you should do a wet sand casting.

foam casting leaves really awful edges and it takes forever to clean up the cast. and I don't think wax will give you the results you want with a cast this big. As I understand it wax casts are better for small things like detailed models and jewellery.

sand casting wont leave you with perfectly smooth edges either but it will require far less work than foam to clean up.

if you want the least amount of cleanup work you can make a plaster mold but that requires equal amounts of work before the cast as you would spend after the cast cleaning up a sand cast.

TL;DR: casting with sand or plaster is your best bet, but only if you can get a prototype to make a mold. plaster is more work/time before the casting, sand is more work/time after the casting.
>>
>>1045385
>anal plug
>no flange
Anon pls
>>
3D print it with a low infill out of PLA. Sand it smooth. Mold the print in sand/plaster... Cast.

http://3dtopo.com/lostPLA/
>>
fucking plebs, that's a level 7 urethral sounder
>>
>>1045182
I'd suggest getting some thin ass foam and rough cut layers that you can polish up when its all glued together via >>1045204
then lost foam cast it. think of it as an MRI. for your dildo.
>>
>>1045196
Just call it a 'device'...
>>
www.dildo-generator.com
>>
>>1045408
could be a two piece design, for casting purposes
>>
Why the frack do you want to cast the handle of a high voltage switch out of metal?
>>
If you only want one, and will be handmaking the form to cast from, skip casting and just file out of aluminum. Also, many jewelry casting places can 3d print wax... and cast for cheap. Not as much fun though:)
>>
>>1045399

I've never personally tried, but I've heard of people dipping their wax in some extremely watery clay until they get a good shell then burying that in some other solid medium. Put her in the oven to melt out the wax then pour right in. I was told it works better for big things than lost wax/foam, bit I have never tried it.
>>
File: skookum.png (15KB, 547x600px) Image search: [Google]
skookum.png
15KB, 547x600px
That's a shitty looking "lever".
I'd go with something like pic related, especially because a big busbar could handle the kinds of voltages you would expect for a big lever.
unless it's just for show, in which case using a dildo as contact should work just fine.
>>
>>1045199
>>1045190
I wouldn't trust the connection between your lever-dildo and the ends of the holder thingy to make a good enough connection to handle 400V. That's is a serious amount of voltage, you don't piss around when designing something to handle that much.
If you can't ensure at least ~3 mm2 GUARANTEED area of contact (that's about 2 mm in diameter, it's the size of wire you'd use)
your switch is NOT fit for 400V applications.

Using a busbar type approach like
>>1048488 would definitely be needed if you would want to advance to higher voltages.
>>
>>1045182
There's literally 0 reason for this to be shaped like a dildo (except shoving it up your butt of course).
It will be more unpractical for insulation and you can achieve the exact same thing with a regular bar, no casting required.
Why cast dildos op?
Do you want to tell us something, op?
>>
>>1046768
>Why the frack do you want to cast the handle of a high voltage switch out of metal?

Because it won't be made to any electrical code and is a toy showing no concern for safe engineering at all.
>>
>>1045210
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEzaEqPv27k
>>
>>1045210
>>1045210
RG was like the fucking Tesla, or maybe, the Salvador Dahli, of earth moving machines.
>>
Benis
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.