[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Fairy lights" Micro LED string lights

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: fairylights.jpg (29KB, 510x510px) Image search: [Google]
fairylights.jpg
29KB, 510x510px
I feel like these are very easy to reverse engineer if I can get an idea of what LED diode they use.

If you google search the terms I used in the subject the same battery powered set of lights come up, theres barely any difference in the item listed by different vendors.

I'm positive its just copper wire, LEDs, solder, a 3-5v battery pack and clear heat-shrink tubing to keep everything all tight and neat together.

I'm not a total newb to soldering, but its not like I tinker with a breadboard and know much about electronics either. I think this would be a weekend project I could do, unless /diy wants to drop some facts on me that suggest otherwise
>>
>>1044998
Ok, I'll explain why you have no replies, since no one else will.

You're asking the equivalent of 'well I guess I just need heat and food to cook, right?'

Google can easily tell you how to power a few LEDs in series, you figure out how you want to wire them. Yes, it's just wire soldered to LEDs. yes, there are children under 8 with the knowledge you seek. Yes, you can do it. You won't really be able to do it cheaper than Chinese suppliers can, though. But, you can make custom lengths and shit.
>>
>>1044998
>I feel like these are very easy to reverse engineer if I can get an idea of what LED diode they use.
It's probably just a SMD LED with wires soldered directly onto it, and then put some epoxy or something similar over it...

I would suggest you try soldering some thin wires on some "1206"-size LEDs. The number [1206] designates a particular size of two-lead SMD component. There is LEDs, diodes, resistors and capacitors in this size so don't just buy whatever says "1206".

1206 may be bigger than what they use, but it is about the smallest size a newbie could easily get wires stuck onto using a cheap soldering iron.

Other suggestions: a fine-tip soldering iron, a flux pen or liquid flux, some [metal!] reverse tweezers (not the plastic ESD ones for electronics).

The next size down is 0805. You might be able to do them with some practice.

The next size further down is 0603. Good luck with that.
(On the China clone Arduino boards I have around, the onboard LEDs look like they are 0603's)
>>
>>1044998
>I feel like these are very easy to reverse engineer if I can get an idea of what LED diode they use.
>LED diode
>Light Emitting Diode Diode

TRIGGERD
>>
>>1044998
Jesus Christ. You're wasting space on this slow board with your stupid, stupid, google-tier question.
>>
>>1045085
>But, you can make custom lengths and shit.

To make them shorter you can just cut them wherever you'd like.
>>
>>1045193
Thanks. I just stopped by a Michaels to pick up a cheap set to look at much closer and recycle the battery pack.

They might just be 0805 size. Its gonna be an interesting challenge for sure, these lights extremely tiny. And youre right its just a drop of resin for the bulb, but clear shrink tubing is still used to cover up the solder connection between the battery pack and the wires.

I'm going to copy and save yoru post for future reference, thank you for your help
>>
File: adafruit_ruler_9240923.jpg (217KB, 1340x962px) Image search: [Google]
adafruit_ruler_9240923.jpg
217KB, 1340x962px
>>1045359
What it looks like they did was, they took a plain 2-conductor wire, stripped one side of it off and then soldered a SMD LED across the two wires. And that LED is probably smaller than a 1206, but anyway.

To tell how big various SMD parts are, you can get a PCB ruler. That is what I am using to guess sizes here.

Most of these rulers are made as a printed PCB, and they usually also show different component pad sizes and wire sizes.
A few places show 6-inch ones, I have some from Adafruit but there are others.
Digi-Key sells a 12-inch long one.
>>
>>1044998
this guys got a lot of good info

youtube user bigclivedotcom search?query=fairy

asdf
>>
>>1045376

While I support the idea of a PCB ruler, you can actually just print those footprints out on a piece of paper for free with your favorite PCB software.
>>
>Less than $1/foot
>Stop being poor OP.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.