[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Live sound

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: Snapchat-5307388793696151992.jpg (510KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-5307388793696151992.jpg
510KB, 1080x1920px
Hey /diy/ in the next year I want to set up my own place for live music. I'm 100% green on the idea so treat me like a retarded child. From what I've gathered I can use a light board to light up the place and can lights connected and if I want to get real fancy I can buy mechanical lights. What I really have no clue on what to do is adding sound to a stage. Do I need a mixer/sound board? Or just use plug in amps and connect them togther somehow? I'm fixing on visiting a few stages and places to see how others have done it but I havent gotten that far.

TL;DR: How do I set up live sound for a music stage.
>>
>>1044861
Bampin
Also want to be able to set it up for 2 guitars, a drummer and vocals
>>
>>1044861
Simply put: stage with sound consists of (at minimum)

1. Audio source (mics, instruments, cd player)
2. Mixer
3. Amp
4. Speakers (amount depending on budget. At least 2)

2 and 3 can be built into one unit, but you should go for a proper standalone mixing table.

Recommended: monitor speakers. Playing on stage is horrible if you can't hear yourself.

Another thing worth investing in is a so-called Multi-cable. Instead of running 20 cables back and forth between stage and mixer (because the mixer should be positioned so that the operator hears what the audience is hearing), you get one thick cable that contains many audio cables with connector for each line in both ends.

Source: former audio engineer, handling mostly live performances.
>>
>>1044861
whats your budget?
tell you then what you can (or cant) buy. Actually, most venues (in Europe anyway), band would be bringing / using their own shit, so you wouldnt really need anything, apart from 4 walls and a roof and a really basic house setup. And a license, and a friendly fire inspector, and bar staf that dont rob you blind (ha ;) and door staff that dont torture/kill peole for fun, and bookers/promoters who know wtf they are doing, etc.

>so treat me like a retarded child
sure thing. Im kind of missing why you _want_ to do this here, because, it certainly doesn't seem to be experience-based. You'd be easier (and cheaper (and less liable to land before banrupotcy/general court, etc) renting a venue for a night and putting on your own bill there. Thats called being a promoter.
>>
>>1044861
First step is budget.
What is it?
>>
>>1044878
Pretty much this, op. What are you wanting? 4-person band? (2 guitars, bass, 2 vocals, drummer, maybe some studio-made filler tracks?)
Rentals like this are about $300 a day. With exception to gas and small equipment repairs (like $50-200, depending on how many are in the crew), its all profit for me. But dont look down to your manager, they can make your gig turn to shit real quick.
A decent non-shill rental company should provide:
All equipment, including cables and mics
Transporation of said equipment
Set up/configuring of all equipment (crew of 2 should be fine)
Soundcheck
Manning controls during event
Shutdown/teardown
Pack/transportation

An excellent company will provide:
Hydrants for singers
Light meal of choice for band
Chill room for prep
Lite makeup/wardrobe, if female or into that shit
Transportation
Soundcheck (without you)
In-ear monitoring (and a 2nd sound engineer for in-ears)
If recording, a 3rd engineer for audio capture
Closely working with light designers and coordinators
Closely working with security for yourself+immediate family
Pretty much anything youll be needing

Source: am currently an event manager for a local rental company.
>>
>>1044884
>>1045031
Want to stay under 1.5k for everything a band would need if they're too poor for anything other than the guitars they have.
>>
>>1045460
Basically I want a barebones as cheap but efficent as I can get system going.
Provided the space, Amos,Mixer, and PA systems.
>>
>>1045460
>$1.5k for everything
You're probably going to need more than that, maybe a lot more. Do you want this to be a serious thing, like a full-on business, or just for fun? Is this system going to be in a strictly permanent location or possibly mobile? If you know, how large are the space(s) going to be and what it/they look like?
>>
You can plug some speakers into an amp and get sound out of it. Is that good enough?

A proper setup will need at least a 6 channel mixer, multiple amps (as needed by instruments), 6 speakers or equivalent speaker assemblies (2 bass, 2 mid range, 2 high range), 4-6 microphones, and cables and power to feed all of the above. And with all that expensive gear, I highly suggest some power conditioners to protect them.

1.5k will not go far. Any single one of the elements above could wipe out your budget 3 times over if your not careful. You're going to have to prioritize, and leave out a lot. Really need more details. It's really important to define the scope of the project and what you expect to get out of it.
-What kind of band?
-How many sound channels you need?
-How big is the venue (distance from stage to back, number of persons).
-What power supply you have available (pls don't say 120v 20a residential, you'll have fuck all you can do with just that)
>>
>>1045490
Perminate place, for fun, free shows.
Not giant.
>>1045508
Nah
Large generator or two for power
200ish people, "rock" bands
>>
>>1045971
how are you funding this and when will you escape your pipedream of spending only 1.5k?
>>
>>1045971
You should stop now. You clearly have no idea what you're doing and stepping into as you have answered none of the important questions needed to provide you with specifics.

You need a nice venue with good lights, sound, stage, audience area, hospitality, and good bands to keep a crowd of 200 going. At which point you should charge a cover because a "free" show isn't attractive unless you have a good band with a following. And FYI, bands require payment to perform. You might be able to convince a crappy rock band to play for $500 a night.

Is your place outdoors or indoors? Where is it located? Rural area, business, residential?
>>
Read the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook by Gary Davis.

It'll get you a good start. There's PDFs floating around...
>>
>>1045971
200 people is actually quite a bit. These people will need to eat, drink, and use the restroom. There will also need to be parking either at your location or near to it (not hogging a neighbor shops spots)

Also there could be local statutes about where you can put all of that noise and when.

The band's that can pull 200 people won't be doing it for free. Usually their cut comes from food, drink, and ticket sales.
>>
Hey OP, your sound is fucked but you havent even gone into lighting. Im a former lighting engineer, and it sounds like you have a pretty shit situation on that end too lad.

Go into more detail on your lighting plan? What kind of equipment do you already have there? (flashlights dont count)
>>
>>1045989
Being a lineman has its perks, decent income is one of them.
>>1045997
You sound like a money grubbing jew. the point of this isnt for money at all and I already have many bands and people interested in this. Call it a "party" and its fine.
>>1046144
Thanks anon.
>>1046154
More or less probably a lot less but it will be a usual spot. and porta pottys is all they get. this isnt going to be fancy shit. i just want good sound.
>>1046660
Lights arent that bad, literally just using can lights.
>>
>>1046765
The fact that you're not answering any of the specific detailed questions makes me think you're in over your head on this and have no clue what you're trying to accomplish.

A sound system fit for your expectations will cost at least 10k and can easily double or triple. Are you willing to spend that much?

If you are, please provide details on your venue.

Location? Indoors? Outdoors? Residential? Rural? Business?

Are you going to have a stage? Stage size? Audience area size?

A far as money goes, the anons here just want you to break even.

Are bands playing for free? Are you aware that bands that can keep a crowd of 200 won't play for free? Are you aware that bands that will play for free generally sound like ass? Are you going to be paying the sound guy?

What about food and drinks? Cost of running the generator?

Btw, a porta potty costs $100 a day to rent if you're an established business.

Going by your reply that you have decent income, I'm assuming all the costs are coming out of your pocket, in which case this is an expensive party. And if you can afford this, why is your budget a measly 1.5k?

What is your actual lighting plan for the stage and audience area? because can lights are pretty bad
>>
Open, if you are doing this for fun then worry about the quality later, I would right now focus on finding cheap, and loud equipment. Anything that works is good enough. If you are wanting free shows that's fine and good, but bands need to eat, and you need to be able to maintain and (hopefully) upgrade equipment as necessary.
I've put on shows with nothing more than a shitty PA that we got for maybe $200 and what ever equipment the bands bring to the venue. Was it the best sound quality? Fuck no, but it worked and eveyone had a blast! Charged 3 bucks a head and made almost 300 that night, each band got paid, the venue got paid, everyone walked away happy. Sorry for lack of structure, I'm on mobile and can't be pissed to fix it.
>>
>>1046765
Nice. desu lights are something that unskilled people really don't notice. just make sure that the band can kind of see.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.