[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

networking / electronics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: jack_nicholson.png (557KB, 330x420px) Image search: [Google]
jack_nicholson.png
557KB, 330x420px
Hey /diy/

A know nothing amateur here.

Alittle vague but..
Interested in getting into electrical/networking as a hobby.
Things like setting up home speakers through a house, setting up my own camera security system..
Maybe even more advanced inner wiring of simple machines.

And on the other side, Networking machines.
For example, I got the amazon fire stick and follows the directions for the fire stick to send out a ping to my cpu so I could "hack" it.

How do all of these ideas relate?
How easy/quick is it to get good at any one of these?
Can you guys give me a very high level paragraph explanation of these things to start me off?
>>
Any light to guide the way would be helpful
>>
>>1044501
Look into 'low voltage wiring' Enjoy spending lots of time in crawl spaces and above drop down ceilings running wire.
>>
I mean if you can measure cut and connect a cat 6 cable your are set for networking your house. Most security cameras can be powered and monitored though said cable.

Speakers are super easy. the same rules apply. Measure and cut the cable and cap off with end connectors. Depending on your setup you might need to solder a bit, or you might need to just screw the connectors on.

I have no idea what a firestick it and how it's used. But it might have debug pins inside it that you could connect to your serial port and than run it because you don't know assembly from a hole in the ground. How to i know this. Well you can ping a central processing unit you can ping a network address.

Install gentoo and get good at programing if you want to "hack" anything ever.
>>
>>1044527
>>1044528
Thanks guys, this is helpful.

Is wiring say.. the inside of an amp, or the inside of a computer pretty straight forward?
Is that the "low voltage" you were refering to?

In other words, you open up most kinds of machine and see a red wire a green wire a white wire..
Are these all similar no matter the machine?
I'd like to be able to take something simple apart and know the basics
>>
>>1044530
Nothing that has actual copper wires is safe for a retard like you to work with.

Low voltage stuff wont use wires most of the time and will only have a circuit board, and you cant do anything with that without knowing how to solder and even with that you need to have the schematic and know how to read it.
Decent amplifiers, radios and TVs ( especially old tube stuff ) is high burn your skin off and stop your heart if you so much as touch it in the wrong place voltages.

Wiring codes vary according to region. In the us green is line, white neutral, black ground. In europe its blue line brown neutral yellow/green ground. Inside the for wall wiring.
Inside devices its mostly red is voltage, black is ground.
And the remaining wires could mean fuck all depending on what the device is, where it was made, what it connects too etc.

A safe place to start is kids battery powered toys. Its slimple as it's gonna get, and there is no chance of excremental death
Get some cheap chink stuff, take it apart, put it back together.
That how i learned when i was a kid.
>>
Thanks man, that's helpful

I'll try not to be a fucking retard my whole life.

>>1044547
>>
Anyone have any other ideas of in home electronic networking.

I do have basic knowledge of computer networking.
>>
Also interested in this.

How do you connect speakers around your house wirelessly?
>>
Also would like more info
>>
Why are you trying to hack your fire stick anyways? This sort of 'hacking' works much like hacking/jailbreaking your phone, for example. The idea is attaining full control over your devices filesystem (aka attaining root/superuser/etc. access) in order to install 3rd party software or remove shit. See online guides for this process. The question remains: what exactly do you want your stick to do? This could slightly affect the process (i.e. what guide to use and what you download). You would need a whole lot more knowledge of OS anatomy to do this from scratch, mind you
>>
>>1044501
this is a joke right? Wat the fuck are you asking?!
>>
>>1044555
If you want to use ethernet there are a lot of low cost dev boards with Ethernet transcievers like Wiznet. These are great for simple little things like turning off and on lights (with a relay) or reading motion sensors. For streaming video, file servers, etc you'd need something Raspberry Pi level.

I'm an oldfag, so I prefer a classic RS485 two wire multidrop bus using a simple protocol like DMX512 or Modbus RTU. The advantage here is that literally any computer with a serial port or microcontrooler with a UART can be hooked up to it with $2 of hardware.
>>
>>1044675
>>1044675
Cool it ass clown, what he's asking isn't that complicated
>>
Can we get a noob guide sticky for this
>>
OP, Google your questions and then come back when you get stuck.

Too vague to help you...
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.